#1 Edited by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

Or is there just going to be so much story stuff going on that I will just be lost the entire time? I have friends that tell me I should play 2 and up since they are much better than the first but I never got around to it. I really like pirate stuff though so this does look interesting. Pretty much all I want to know is if the gameplay is better than the first game and how much of the backstory I really need to know.

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11799 posts) -

Yes. The overarching modern-day narrative stuff seems a lot more in the background than previous games, and if you've only played the first AC you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much more varied and interesting the series has become since then.

#3 Edited by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

I think you should try it. There are so few pirate games of quality out there and this one seems like it's at least got the feeling swashbuckling down. It honestly feels less like assassins creed than I expected, which is a good thing since AC3 really pushed me away from playing anymore of them. After hearing the GB crew talk this one up during their ql I figured it was worth the money to try it. It still has some of the templar/assassin stuff but it seems to be taking a back seat so far (I'm 10% in according to the save) and Edward is way more like Ezio in that he is funny and likable.

One other thing to note. If you can I highly recommend the PC/current gen version of this. The console version I played was fine and nothing was missing game-play wise, but the visuals really took a hit on last gen hardware.

#4 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: @gaminghooligan: Thanks for the answers, they helped quite a bit. I would be playing on PS4 so after today's patch for the game it should look quite nice.

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

Absolutey. The first Assassin's Creed is so far removed from what the series has become after 2 that it's mostly negligible at this point. The modern-day narrative (future narrative?) also takes such a backseat in this installment that you shouldn't feel the need to catch up. And besides, the modern-day narrative stuff from the previous games is not, in my opinion, worth caring about anyway.

#6 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

AC is so much better than it was when it first came out so don't let that deter you. AC 1 was practically just a concept of a game.

Thanks for the answers, they helped quite a bit. I would be playing on PS4 so after today's patch for the game it should look quite nice.

It sure does. Just watched it on the PS4 stream and it looks good on PS4 there (and I guess it has improved since).

#7 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

Question kind of related to this, so I don't want to start a new thread. I got AC4 for free with my 770, but I haven't played 3 yet. I beat 1 through Revelations and enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. I do intend to play 3 at some point (probably when it goes on sale on PC), but would I be alright playing 4 without playing 3?

#8 Posted by Zeik (2493 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

One other thing to note. If you can I highly recommend the PC/current gen version of this. The console version I played was fine and nothing was missing game-play wise, but the visuals really took a hit on last gen hardware.

I read this and I was super confused why you were recommending the PS3/360 version over PS4/One, until I realized those are now technically "current gen". I suspect that is going to happen a lot over the next few months.

#9 Edited by CaLe (3995 posts) -

I think you'll enjoy the boat stuff if you like pirates. It's really well done.

#10 Posted by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

@zeik said:

@gaminghooligan said:

I read this and I was super confused why you were recommending the PS3/360 version over PS4/One, until I realized those are now technically "current gen". I suspect that is going to happen a lot over the next few months.

Figured I better start getting use to writing it that way.

#11 Posted by Gruebacca (521 posts) -

On a gameplay level, AC1 and Black Flag are so far removed from each other. It's been so many years and games later that it shouldn't be a problem for you. As far as backstory goes, it doesn't seem like you need to know that much from what I've heard.

And if you want to be a pirate, this seems like the game to play.

#12 Posted by ILikePopCans (755 posts) -

I would say I hated the first AC but loved 2 and brotherhood (liked revelations, eh on 3), so the AC1 comparison is somewhat not important. Have not play 4 yet but from the word around, I would say just jump into 4.

#13 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

Question kind of related to this, so I don't want to start a new thread. I got AC4 for free with my 770, but I haven't played 3 yet. I beat 1 through Revelations and enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. I do intend to play 3 at some point (probably when it goes on sale on PC), but would I be alright playing 4 without playing 3?

The modern-day narrative in AC4 spoils the ending of AC3 if you care about that stuff.

#14 Edited by csl316 (8770 posts) -

#15 Posted by Minion101 (91 posts) -

I'm not a big assassins creed guy nor a pirate guy but I love this game.

#16 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

You really don't want to play this game. If all you care about is the pirate part of the game, then I suggest you play Sid Meier's Pirates! instead. It is way more of a pirate game than this pile of hot shit. It has actual action and the excitement of being a pirate. This game just has a pirate overlay on top of the dumbass story.

#17 Posted by Steadying (1274 posts) -

I can't stand AC 1 and 2, but I love this game.

#18 Edited by MEATBALL (3264 posts) -

Go for it, I think you'll like it and it's one of the better entry points in the series.

#19 Edited by hermes (1496 posts) -

Yes, probably. The truth is AC has changed a lot since the first one.

#20 Edited by Aviar (442 posts) -

I played AC1 and have skipped the others until AC4. So far I don't feel like I have missed anything and AC4 is a GREAT game that you should not pass up.

#21 Posted by sometimesavowel (122 posts) -

I skipped AC 1, started on 2 and made it maybe 10% before I lost interest. It's possible that it's just not your kind of game, which is fine. I can definitely see why it's worth checking out, though.

#22 Posted by TheLegendOfMart (251 posts) -

AC2 and Brotherhood are the best of the series, Revelations was ok and AC3 was garbage.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

Yes. AC2 improved over the first Assassin's Creed in every way and was the game that thing was supposed to be. Every other iteration is building off of AC2, and AC4 is the most expansive yet.

#24 Posted by Palmlykta (226 posts) -
#25 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3454 posts) -

You could buy this game or buy 2, brotherhood, revelation and III probably for the same price.

#26 Posted by GaspoweR (3069 posts) -

@impendingfoil: Also from what I've played of this game it seems that this is like the start of another story arc since the main character from the 1st game's arc ended at 3 and I've been enjoying it so far. If you are not familiar with the controls you might have trouble with certain segments even though they are not hard controls, there are people who seem to have trouble with them for some reason.

There are times that a bit of finesse is needed in order to not accidentally climb up objects for example and I usually found that people who are pretty impatient or tend to have a bad habit of holding down the R2/RT while moving in the environment tend to accidentally climb up objects more. Also enemies are more aggressive from the get go but if you're used to action games it won't be hard.

#27 Edited by BBAlpert (1490 posts) -
#28 Posted by Reisz (1508 posts) -

Absolutely, Definitely, Yes.

#29 Posted by jsnyder82 (735 posts) -

Yes. This is basically AC 2 with awesome pirate stuff thrown in. Great, great game.

#30 Edited by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -
#31 Posted by GaspoweR (3069 posts) -

@impendingfoil: I never had been super into the MP but Assassin's Creed MP is the only one of it's kind out there (in terms of console games) that has a cat and mouse feel with lots of mind games and is not completely dependent on skills and reflexes.

#32 Posted by Palmlykta (226 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@impendingfoil: I never had been super into the MP but Assassin's Creed MP is the only one of it's kind out there (in terms of console games) that has a cat and mouse feel with lots of mind games and is not completely dependent on skills and reflexes.

Yes, the MP seems kinda alright, I'll give it that.

#33 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (607 posts) -

I've never liked Assassins Creed and I love AC4. Granted, I've only played the first two and thought they were garbage. Haven't tried anything after AC2 until picking up Black Flag.

#34 Edited by Xeiphyer (5605 posts) -

Jump right on in! The differences from the very first game are pretty huge, its a much better and more varied game now.

The future stupid shit is almost completely nonexistent and the Pirating story is self contained so you'll be okay on that end.

Also, the pirating stuff is greaaaat!

#35 Posted by wackstrom (2 posts) -

I just got this game today on PS4, without having ever played any of the Assassin's Creed games before. It's one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

Since I haven't played AC before, I can't really compare Black Flag to previous games in the series, but I will say this: the pillaging and other pirate stuff is a blast. It's hard for me to explain it better than that, but trust me, you'll freaking love this game!

#36 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

The Templars want to rule the world. The Assassins don't like the Templars. All the present day stuff is BS.

That's the story summed up for you. Go, enjoy.

#37 Posted by neobendez (14 posts) -

I believe you should give it a try! You might learn to like it in the long run..