#1 Posted by bkbroiler (1641 posts) -

For example, how every type of ship has a different boarding requirement, and then when you get up to a certain class they start throwing in random requirements like blow up these power kegs, or destroy their flag, or kill the enemy captain. Or how every type of harpooning target has a different pattern. Lots of open world games have a bunch of minigames and sidequests, but I can't recall ever seeing variation in the way the same type of side mission will play out. It makes the game a lot more fun, and I'm impressed with the thought they put into AC4.

#2 Posted by UitDeToekomst (743 posts) -

i definitely agree that the variation within each type of side quest is pretty refreshing. However, I am about 75% through the game and have played (I think) each type of side mission several times, and just don't find very many of them enjoyable at all, in general. The ship boarding, naval contracts and harpooning I find particularly frustrating and tedious. The Assassination contracts, which probably have the least variation of them all, I find the most fun. Go figure.

#3 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Honestly the ship boarding is fun the first few times you do it.

But by the time my ship was upgraded with the exception of epic stuff, I was kinda sick of boarding. It's the same shit every time with only a little variation that you will see dozens of times. The whole process just takes too long, I really wish you could just skip past all the cinematic bullshit as soon as you capture it, just menu and go.

#4 Edited by Jimbo (9990 posts) -

Honestly the ship boarding is fun the first few times you do it.

But by the time my ship was upgraded with the exception of epic stuff, I was kinda sick of boarding. It's the same shit every time with only a little variation that you will see dozens of times. The whole process just takes too long, I really wish you could just skip past all the cinematic bullshit as soon as you capture it, just menu and go.

Totally. The actual boarding is ok -combat in general is a step back from AC3, but whatever- but fuck those unnecessary cutscenes. I've taken to sinking ships rather than boarding, just to avoid the post-boarding bullshit.

The game really should have leaned more heavily on Pirates! for how this whole process should work. Make 'number of remaining crew / cannons' a factor in both your and the enemy's fighting ability, but have enemy ships surrender once you have adequately destroyed their ability to fight back. As the game works now you rapidly become almost-invincible, which leads to an initially exciting environment becoming safe and dull. I think I'm about half way through the story, but land and ship combat already feels like I'm just going through the motions.

#5 Posted by OneAndOnlyBigE (447 posts) -

Don't forget the Templar Hunt missions, which add a lot of side story. Also a lot of the scenarios using the diving bell Create some fun and different stealth and combat situations.

#6 Edited by GaspoweR (3489 posts) -

@jimbo said:

The actual boarding is ok -combat in general is a step back from AC3, but whatever- but fuck those unnecessary cutscenes. I've taken to sinking ships rather than boarding, just to avoid the post-boarding bullshit.

Are you talking about naval combat?

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9990 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@jimbo said:

The actual boarding is ok -combat in general is a step back from AC3, but whatever- but fuck those unnecessary cutscenes. I've taken to sinking ships rather than boarding, just to avoid the post-boarding bullshit.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I meant melee combat is a step back from AC3, but that it's still the cutscenes which make boarding more hassle than it's worth.

The naval combat is ok, but personally I'd prefer it if there were a little more to it. I'm not really a fan of how quickly the game makes you feel unstoppable.

#8 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6143 posts) -

@tennmuerti: For me it never stopped feeling awesome for the bigger ships, but you can always just skip boarding if you got tired of it. There's no better place to unload 4 pistols though.

@jimbo: There's plenty of ways to get yourself killed on a boat to start with, no gateway to the two legendary ships, royal convoys and so on. Even much later in the game the legendary ships are still a challenge.

Edit: Oh right mashing circle skips the cutscenes.

#9 Edited by bkbroiler (1641 posts) -

Yeah the only cutscene you ever need to see is the one where you choose what you want to do with the ship you boarded. The next one you can just skip.

I think the boarding can get a little old, but it certainly would be a lot worse without the time they put into it. Also it's only old after I've boarded like 5 in a row. Then I just go back to playing the game.

#10 Edited by Jimbo (9990 posts) -

@jimbo: There's plenty of ways to get yourself killed on a boat to start with, no gateway to the two legendary ships, royal convoys and so on. Even much later in the game the legendary ships are still a challenge.

Edit: Oh right mashing circle skips the cutscenes.

Yeah the challenge level seems fine at the start of the game. A few upgrades later though I felt like I could go into any group of ships and it was a given that I'd come out on top (the Board > Heal Ship mechanic pretty much sees to that). Maybe I'm just not far enough in the story to be in the 'difficult' areas yet. The frigates and man o' wars I've fought so far have been a walk in the park though. The one legendary ship I tried fighting so far was a different story, but seemed like a massive difficulty step between that and any regular naval combat.

Yeah I know you can skip the cutscenes, it's still a hassle having to click through that 3-scene process every time when it could just bring up a quick menu and ask what you want to do.

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6143 posts) -

@jimbo: You could try getting your wanted level up to 3 or 4 and then play the game as normal, for a lot of missions they can interfere directly in the combat and especially the level 4 ships are pretty nuts before you're fully upgraded.

#12 Posted by Jimbo (9990 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Thanks I'll give that a go. I've been playing without the HUD so haven't really noticed the wanted level mechanic so far.

#13 Posted by GaspoweR (3489 posts) -

@jimbo said:

@gaspower said:

@jimbo said:

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I meant melee combat is a step back from AC3, but that it's still the cutscenes which make boarding more hassle than it's worth.

The naval combat is ok, but personally I'd prefer it if there were a little more to it. I'm not really a fan of how quickly the game makes you feel unstoppable.

I think the melee combat is fine though I agree that ever since after Revelations, the combat felt more and more mashy and less involved especially with how you perform chain kills.

#14 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6143 posts) -

@jimbo: It goes up quicker if you blow up the ships instead of boarding them as well, can take a long time if you boarded every single ship. Note that if you die at sea your wanted level resets by default, which can get annoying.

#15 Posted by groundbeef (69 posts) -

Also if you kill the required number of enemies with the swivel gun while your ship is lining up to board, you skip straight to the surrender cut-scene without having to actually set foot on the other ship.

#16 Edited by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Did anybody else know about double tapping to ram? I found out during my final legendary boat fight, literally as it was bursting into flames.

The boardings where you had to capture their flag were the only things that annoyed me, then on Outsidexbox I saw him use the pulley on your own ship to haul you up so you could jump straight over to their upper masts - I'd already long finished it by then and moaned like a harpooned humpback.

And B skips the cutscenes for boarding, you get about a second of them.

#17 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

The cut scene skip only works for the last one not the first one.

And the whole process is still just too long and cumbersome for how often you end up doing it over and over, the 2 cut scenes just add to that even more. It just quickly becomes a monotonous overlong chore after the first several times.

Anyway after you get your necessary upgrade materials and enough for the fleet there is thankfully no more reason to keep boarding shit period, unless you really really need a heal. Which again is super rare after you get the epic upgrades, as outside of the 4 unique legendary encounters you are basically untouchable.

#18 Posted by Jimbo (9990 posts) -

Did anybody else know about double tapping to ram? I found out during my final legendary boat fight, literally as it was bursting into flames.

The boardings where you had to capture their flag were the only things that annoyed me, then on Outsidexbox I saw him use the pulley on your own ship to haul you up so you could jump straight over to their upper masts - I'd already long finished it by then and moaned like a harpooned humpback.

And B skips the cutscenes for boarding, you get about a second of them.

I think you only get that ram skill for beating the legendaries.

#19 Posted by armaan8014 (5444 posts) -

Agree completely. It's not just the side missions but a lot of little things that have been included in the game to make the experience feel smoother, more beautiful and the atmosphere more realized gives the feeling that this game was made consciously and with passion.