• 98 results
Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"Ars Technica - Buy it"... Okay :(

What next? A site that tells us to divorce our wives?!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed - It's Good (c)

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer: I think that was called Ashley Madison.

Good reviews for fans, but I'm just not ready for another one of these yet.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/assassins_creed_syndicate_review.html

Videogamer not quite as generous gave the game 5/10. Alexa's review however did really intrigue me, hearing that the story elements and mission design is better sounds great! Hopefully it isn't quite as big a mess as Unity.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BradBrains

this is all well and good until someone finds a glitch and clickbait sites go crazy

its an openworld game so its gonna happen

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Good to hear this one isn't a total trainwreck. Watching the quick look now and yes it looks like a fine AC, still feel no urge to go and play one again, though.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skipped Unity, so I think I'll pick this one up. I have to wait for the PC version though. Nice to hear that it isn't awful.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lots of people claiming all reviewers are paid because they arent hating the game

never change internet.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: well if it's the witcher series they can get away with it.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I was waiting to see if I should get back in. The only one I skipped was Unity. I don't even know why I want to play it, I just do.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: well if it's the witcher series they can get away with it.

or skyrim. or fallout

anyway consensus seems to be "its still an AC game faults and all but this is one of the best ones with a much better story than in past games"

if it goes on sale I might get it. havent really played since brotherhood

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope there are little kids playing football in the streets in this game. If they have that in the game, then it is an instant buy for me.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

lots of people claiming all reviewers are paid because they arent hating the game

never change internet.

The hilarious part is that people are only saying this shit because it's Gamespot, IGN, etc. If AngryJoe, Jim Sterling, or TB or whoever like it, I'd fucking bet anything that all the comments would sound a looooot different.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Seems like AC has really nailed the one-year on one-year off mechanic. Makes a good enough spacing that I'm actually itching to play a new one too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Nah because then you'd have a bunch of people saying they only gave it a good review because they want to go against the mainstream press and have a point to make. And all this is why reviews are pointless now.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I was burned by Unity, so I was ready to drop off the series for a few years. I guess I'll jump back on this year? :/

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brandondryrock

@johncallahan: That's one reason I was holding out hope for this year. Leading to release, this game was giving me a Black Flag vibe, which I really enjoyed. It deviates enough from the previous AC game that it surpasses the previous game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Oh yay, gonna wait on it still since I just bought RB4 but glad to hear it's good.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"It's still an AC game, buy it if you want another good one of those."

Glad to hear it's not on fire, in any case.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even more excited now. Was already getting this anyway but now I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.

I don't know what it is about the AC games but they're cathartic to an extent to me and very relaxing.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Damn it, I was sure this would be the year I'd finally skip Assassin's Creed.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp I want to play an Assassin's Creed game again. That's surprising.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

So was the "down with capitalism!" nonsense just marketing, or is it an actual theme of the game? I suppose it sounded sexier than "reform capitalism with safeguards to protect workers while still fostering a healthy and attractive marketplace for corporations, which will lead to a strong economy and low unemployment rate!"

To be fair, that does seem like a lot to yell before stabbing someone with a hidden blade.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: On the other hand, the sites that did give it a bad review are "only doing it to drum up attention".

At this point reviews are more fun for seeing what kind of people they bring out of the woodwork.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

never change internet.

How adorable.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a feeling this one was going to be good, because this series just won't die, and that's what they needed for it to stay alive.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a competent Assassin's Creed game. Unfortunately I don't know how positive of a statement that is these days.

I just wish they'd completely drop the present day motif, or at least reinvent it in an interesting way. Ever since they messed up the pay-off with Desmond in AC3, I've never felt attached to the series like I had in the past. Give me a new character to root for that weaves the games together, or do the unthinkable and leave the franchise alone for a few years and come back stronger than before. The whole gimmick of jumping into different characters in history would be fine if the games weren't so similar and released every year.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i watched the gamespot review, no mention of modern day stuff (maybe it's in the written review) I wonder how much i would have to have played 4 and unity to know wtf was going on? I have 4 and it's a decent game but i ended up losing interest in it as the pirate stuff was overrated IMO. That grapple hook and carriage looks like a good time though, maybe i'll pick this up next year when the next game comes out.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the mood for a new Assassin's Creed game and some of my friends worked on that one. This is good news.

Now I just need to know how the PC version runs.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

That's cool that it is good, but I just can't do the AC loop so soon after Unity. I felt the fatigue through Black Flag also. I can't help feeling like I'd enjoy the games more if they weren't open world.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always best to wait for non-press impressions these days, but I really hope this is a genuine return to form.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Alexa mentioned it briefly in her written review, and said the modern day stuff is hardly there.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did skip on Unity so I think I'll give this one a shot.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstarred: " The AC loop " has been creeping its way into an alarming amount of games as of late and it's kind of scaring me a little.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Sessh

Cool to see that it apparently turned out good, after the total shit show that Unity was. Might play this, since I really like the old England setting.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not ready to have assassins creed disappoint me. Maybe it is truly good but Im tired of that same formula and Ive only played assassins creed 2 , black flag and unity. I wonder how those people that started with the first creed game feel nowadays.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mellotronrules

my god, those gamespot comments on alexa's review went straight crazy right out the gate.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Hmm... Alexa's opinion is worth paying attention to. I'm going to pick this up.

Most reviews seem to suggest that this is basically somewhere between 'worth the time' required to play it... and a great game.

That's good enough for me.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's an opinion you can trustakalar! CNET

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By redyoshi

I've only read GameSpot's review so far, it's cool to hear that she liked the characters. I've had my fill of the dashing rogue protagonists after playing two of the Ezio games, and I couldn't really get into Black Flag because of it and their alternative to that in Connor was just too dull for me to relate to. Never finished Unity, but he seemed like he was fitting into their familiar type. It sounds like the brother is more of the same as well, but hopefully the sister being around to temper that will draw me into the story and allow me to actually finish it. And I'm a sucker for a good family angle in a game.

I'm still gonna wait for a sale though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

my god, those gamespot comments on alexa's review went straight crazy right out the gate.

Those are the comments for every Gamespot review of a big game. Remember, if they don't agree with your preconceived notions of what score a game should get, they're obviously biased/paid off. It's like everyone who posts there is 13 and doesn't understand how subjectivity works.

It's good to hear that this is at least a better game than Unity, but I can't think of a franchise I'm more done with than Assassin's Creed.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules said:

Those are the comments for every Gamespot review of a big game. Remember, if they don't agree with your preconceived notions of what score a game should get, they're obviously biased/paid off. It's like everyone who posts there is 13 and doesn't understand how subjectivity works.

It's good to hear that this is at least a better game than Unity, but I can't think of a franchise I'm more done with than Assassin's Creed.

I remember reading those comments when the first Assassin's Creed game was reviewed. It was around that time I moved to GB. Nice to see that the audience there hasn't changed at all.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@mellotronrules said:

It's not just reviews, either. I cross-posted my blog about Gears over there and there were comments claiming I was paid off (???) because I posted a relatively lengthy and positive blog. Gamespot's community is basically as if time stood still in 2007 or something.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Carryboy

@extintor: Im not too familiar with her, you know of any outlier reviews shes done in the past IE scored above press average or vice versa?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@arbitrarywater said:
@mellotronrules said:

It's not just reviews, either. I cross-posted my blog about Gears over there and there were comments claiming I was paid off (???) because I posted a relatively lengthy and positive blog. Gamespot's community is basically as if time stood still in 2007 or something.

They do it on Danny's The Point videos too; it's maddening

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sorry, Ubi, Halo takes priority.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeeaah... I'm not buying it. Damage is already done.

Monty_vaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@yummylee said:
@arbitrarywater said:
@mellotronrules said:

They do it on Danny's The Point videos too; it's maddening

Man, I hate seeing the people at Gamespot having to deal with that. Wish Giant Bomb would just poach a bunch of them, specifically Danny, Mary and Alexa... (no need to tell me how unrealistic that wish is, I know)

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear that the main characters in this game are actually interesting and likable. Any other year I probably would have picked this up, but there are just too many open world games this year to play. Maybe I'll get around to it next spring or something.