#1 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

The road to E3 has begun, and with it rumors of next generation titles have started to make their rounds on the internet. Today's rumors come about regarding the next Assassin's Creed title.

With the tentative title "Assassin's Creed: Unity," this next Assassin's Creed title will be sanctioned for "next generation" platforms only. The news was leaked on the popular gaming forum "NeoGaf," and has been confirmed by a source close to the project. This news coincides with news reported earlier this year that Assassin's Creed will be getting two separate titles this coming year; one for "last" generation platforms and one for current generation.

For starters, the setting will take place primarily in French Revolution era France, with possible settings in surrounding nations of the same era. Other interesting news regarding "Unity?" Multiplayer will be revised completely with the removal of focus on adversarial multiplayer. Instead, the additional focus is on 4 player co-op play.

As mentioned earlier, there has also been mention of a "previous" generation title, currently code names "Comet," but with very little information to go on. These are, of course, all rumors at this point, so take everything with a grain of salt. Given how these rumors have been consistent with everything seen thus far, though, they have some merit to them. Ubisoft is set to release information about these two titles "closer to E3."

Excited about a "next" generation only Assassin's Creed that utilize the hardware for larger cities and more on screen characters? Let me know by subscribing to me here, on YouTube at YouTube/Pitmonkey and by following me on Twitter @NicholasGigante.

Examiner: Rumor: Next Assassin's Creed code named 'Unity,' offers 4 player co-op

Some details about the next assassins creed title. #1

So i was on a flight earlier today.. Turns out that the guy was someone close to the series (dev/pr) and although he didn't disclose what exactly his position was, he did give me a fair bit of info on the upcoming title. My day was literally made when towards the end of our conversation he showed me a short clip about the game on his ipad. Mind you the guy was a not a native english speaker ..

set in paris and england (london?)

main characters name is arno/harno something. will be heading the french divison of assassins.

looks to be set after the ezio period, character had handgun.

looks like victorian era judging by the way npc dressed, architecture, horse carriages parked on the streets.

Villa management is back. MC has his own villa (guy says its ezio's villa from AC:B). dunno if it makes any sense geographically or it might be a mistranslation. ..

MC has a blue suit with a tinge of red in the clip(might change). looked similar to the ones worn by the Knights in order 1886.

from the clip it looks like a cross gen title. Although the guy tells me its next gen only title.

Visually looked quiet decent but it was ver early footage. Had fantastic draw distance and crowd density was much higher than the older games despite them appearing/disappearing from thin air. ..

Last I remember, AC IV got announced around February. So this lines up with that, and a new Batman getting announced too.

Also, I mention "A new AC V" in the title, becuase last I remember, two AC games were supposed to come out this year. Even the article says, and NeoGaf I suppose, that the insider says its Next-Gen only. I honestly would rather have two AC games this year, than 1. That gives more room for Unity to be as next-gen bad-ass as it can be, just like Batman is doing. A $60 AC current-gen game set in Egypt, I would probably very much like, probably less than this title.

NeoGaf is not a very good news source, yet most of the times, its reliable. And Examiner, so kay.

Anyway mans, 4-player co-op sounds like a mode to me. I don't wanna see 4 damn Ezio look-alikes running on screen. Although, it would be pretty cool if you could heavily customize your character, ala Borderlands, and just mob around the city like Thief. That would be pretty cool. I could see an AC Brotherhood type of city happening here, where you could jump in the water, and swim down the river, etc. Thoughts?

Oh, and I'm not sure if this is very old, irrevelant, concept art, or what. But the user edited it to look like a GI cover anyway. O_o

Oh, and no Nintendo, huh. Hur.

#2 Edited by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I was hoping for it to take place in japan, but o well I hope it turns out good

#3 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (415 posts) -

I feel like we've heard the French Revolution rumors every year since II came out, so I have my doubts that they're actually going to do that. I'll be super excited if they do, though. The period continues to fit that series perfectly. I guess. I don't even fucking know what Assassin's Creed is anymore, dammit.

#4 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1421 posts) -

Ubisoft is gonna have to set a game in Japan eventually, but the french revolution sounds neat. Ill get my baguettes and berets ready in anticipation

#5 Posted by crithon (3253 posts) -

hmmm 4 player co op, interesting

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

The French Revolution is a good choice. I'm excited to see what they do with it.

#7 Posted by BisonHero (6531 posts) -

I misread the thread title, and thought it said "Rumour AC V: Unity set in space", and I was...excited? I think?

Anyway, it's weird, because this series is historical, but it has to be set in very specific periods where there is badass architecture you can climb on, which is why AC3 was so lacking. Or if the buildings suck, then come up with something else that is totally rad, like AC4's focus on ship combat and piratey stuff.

I wish they'd pick a country whose pre-20th century history I don't know shit about. French Revolution is pretty well covered ground in Western media. But what was going on in like, India, anywhere from the 1400s to the 1800s? I don't know! My schooling omitted that. Or do a Chinese AC game set around the Boxer Rebellion or something. The series' Eurocentrism is getting a little tired.

#8 Edited by Deathstriker (318 posts) -

Europe is kinda overdone in entertainment; Asia, Africa, or South America would've been more interesting, but co-op sounds good if it's true.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11942 posts) -

Not set in Space? No sale!

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Man the Caribbean was such a fun setup for the last game why do we have to go back to Europe? I would have really liked something in an Asian country. Tons of fun historical figures in Japanese and Chinese history.

#11 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

We sure it's French Revolution? After all those Joan of Arc hints in ACIV? I thought for sure we were getting that era...

#12 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

The French Terror would make a FANTASTIC setting for an AC game. If you want a list of Templar agents to kill.....you cannot get a better list of targets than Robespierre's Committee of Public Safety. They basically invented the modern totalitarian state and butchered thousands deemed "enemies of the revolution".

Robespierre has to be the main villain. He fits the profile for a Templar Grand Master perfectly.

#13 Posted by Zella (754 posts) -

I would be down for some assassinating in the French Revolution. I still think India during British Colonization could be awesome and it's a totally unused setting.

#14 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

Just to make sure people don't get wrong expectations, that fake cover just took fanart from here.

I think that setting would have to happen eventually, like Japan and/or China. I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit.

I'm down for it.

#15 Edited by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

Was AC3 announced through GameInformer or E3? If yes, we'll probably get an announcement via GameInformer again.

I still haven't played AC4, mainly because I'm waiting to borrow it but I don't really care about getting into it. I'm burned out on AC so I could totally wait to play 4 when the next one comes out. Also, Ubi won't ever get my money for another AC game after AC3. I'll borrow the new games every year.

#16 Edited by kishinfoulux (2308 posts) -

I thought Japan was semi confirmed. Major bummer if this is the case. :-/

#17 Edited by RonGalaxy (3168 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Ubisoft already said it wont be set in Japan. I guess they could be lying, but this thread seems to indicate otherwise.

Source

#18 Posted by avantegardener (1126 posts) -

Man, I just hope they make one set in Japan, just to get it out of peoples systems. Personally games are well represented in the 'Ninja' dept. Not saying it wouldn't be great or indeed that Japan hasn't a fascinating history and rich culture, I'd just like to see something from the 'lesser spotted' areas of history.

#19 Posted by audioBusting (1544 posts) -

They've done pirates, so the next one has to be ninjas.

#20 Posted by probablytuna (3665 posts) -

That looks like a fan art more than legit concept art.

#21 Edited by Humanity (9259 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

They keep actively fighting this setting despite it not only making sense but being a huge fan favorite for a lot of people.

I know that I certainly couldn't care less about the victorian setting and the wacky "steampunkish" contraptions they'll probably think up for it.

At his point I don't know, I think enough time has lapsed where I might be even leaning towards the WWII setting (something they also said they're not doing) more than anything to due with frilly sleeves, wigs and face powder.

#22 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (559 posts) -

My first thought was "If this is true then they better damn well let me climb the Eiffel Tower". But construction on the tower didn't start until something like 80 years after the French Revolution ended. So much for that.

#23 Posted by SMTDante89 (2581 posts) -

The French Terror would make a FANTASTIC setting for an AC game. If you want a list of Templar agents to kill.....you cannot get a better list of targets than Robespierre's Committee of Public Safety. They basically invented the modern totalitarian state and butchered thousands deemed "enemies of the revolution".

Robespierre has to be the main villain. He fits the profile for a Templar Grand Master perfectly.

Just finished a class on the French Revolution a few months ago and these were my thoughts exactly.

#24 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1791 posts) -

@falserelic said:

I remember an interview a while back saying they didn't want to set the series in obvious locations like Japan or Egypt, which are apparently the two highest requests. They mentioned the lack of scalable objects in Egypt, but the Japan thing seems odd to me.

Take that with a grain of salt, however, as I can't find that interview at the moment. That, and I can't be assed.

#25 Edited by themangalist (1735 posts) -

I always thought it was either the French Revolution or the American one. When they announced III the other time period I just thought was out of consideration.The core themes between the two time periods are quite similar: optimistic, and gritty in how everything came together and ended up. III absolutely ruined all potential of a good story told in the American Revolution setting. But I guess revolution is still very topical today.

@kishinfoulux said:

I really wanted it to be set in Ming China. Not only is Chinese history underrepresented in video games, the time period has so much political backstabbing and power struggles, plus so much additional history to draw from the more ancient assassins it'd seem absolutely fitting for the franchise. But given the western obsession with ninjas and samurais if Ubisoft had to choose one Asian setting it'd be Japan. And if Japan isn't going to be the next AC, no way would it be in China.

At least I was happy to have voted China as a setting in the official Ubisoft survey. They must have at some point considered it.

#26 Posted by hermes (1487 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

It would be interesting to have a main villain being also one of the leaders of the French Revolution. So far, Templar modus operanti has been more in line with control, keeping the status quo and authoritarianism, while Assassins are agents of chaos and align with any sort of political change. But, then again, to go the route of 3 and reduce it to being the evil empire lords against the struggling peasants would not only be a simplification, but entirely inaccurate.

And I always thought the French Revolution to be a pretty good continuation of the AC 3 storyline. Given that they are so close together in time, I could imagine Connor traveling to France for AC 3 - 2...

#28 Edited by bunnymud (717 posts) -

If the next AC is indeed set during the French Revolution I just hope it depicts it truthfully and not romanticized as it is today.

#29 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3327 posts) -

At least all the Ubisoft accents will make sense now.

#30 Edited by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

I really don't care for the setting, still prefer the medieval of the first game and the renaissance of AC2 trilogy. Does anyone think they are staying away from oriental locations? I would've figured by now they would have done something with Japan, China, something.

#31 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

Just finished a class on the French Revolution a few months ago and these were my thoughts exactly.

That would make a looooot of people angry. Robespierre's role during the Terror is subject to debate, Robespierre himself is subject to a lot of debate. This is not really the place to discuss french history but it's pretty shocking to me that people are taught that he was a tyrant without being presented with the many other sides of the story.

#32 Edited by Jimbo (9813 posts) -

Hope it's true, but that's been the rumoured setting for 'The Next AC Game' for about 6 years now.

#33 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (277 posts) -

@nightriff said:

I really don't care for the setting, still prefer the medieval of the first game and the renaissance of AC2 trilogy. Does anyone think they are staying away from oriental locations? I would've figured by now they would have done something with Japan, China, something.

I believe they might be avoiding Eastern locations due to the poor reception of Revelations. I mean Revelations was set in Turkey but still is part of the Eastern world. None of the games since then have been set anywhere except North America and the Caribbean.

#34 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

@nightriff said:

I believe they might be avoiding Eastern locations due to the poor reception of Revelations. I mean Revelations was set in Turkey but still is part of the Eastern world. None of the games since then have been set anywhere except North America and the Caribbean.

That does makes sense, but a middle eastern setting or even asian setting just seems to fit with assassins more than....the revolutionary war....pirates...and now France. But as I said I've always preferred learning about those settings in history so I want to play games in those settings as well.

#35 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (277 posts) -

@crimsonavenger said:

@nightriff said:

That does makes sense, but a middle eastern setting or even asian setting just seems to fit with assassins more than....the revolutionary war....pirates...and now France. But as I said I've always preferred learning about those settings in history so I want to play games in those settings as well.

I agree. The Assassin's definitely work better in the Eastern world than they do in Europe or North America. I really would love to nationalist China (1912-1949) explored. Really fascinating period and place in history. A lot of political intrigue then and it's a period in history I've never seen explored in video games.

#36 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

Meh, I hope Ubisoft's thoughts about a stand-alone pirate game comes to fruition in that case. I like Black Flag because the time period & setting was interesting, but going off to Revolutionary France just doesn't thrill me. So, I guess I'll pin my hopes on that stand alone pirate game being a real idea for a product, not just hot air.