#1 Posted by Shaunage (724 posts) -

"References to sexual violence."

I see it's only a T in America. Does this seem like a weird decision to anyone else?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

Yeah,It seems odd. The atelier series isn't really all that fanservicy compared to other NIS JRPGs.

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

And Ar tonelico Qoga got a PG rating. Australia is weird.

#5 Posted by Petiew (1355 posts) -

I've only played Meruru, but that seems crazy. Unless Totori is completely different in tone I don't see how anything in the game could warrant an 18+ rating, though I suppose Australia are always harsh on ratings.

The reactions to these games have always been oddly reactionary though. Lots of reviews slammed them for being pedo pandering bait, while as far as I know the games are kind of marketed towards a female audience.

#6 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Totori is the cutest game ever, also in a Catherine waitress style twist totori is a lesbain.

#7 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

This is pretty funny.

#8 Edited by probablytuna (3805 posts) -

I don't know anything about this game but judging by the images it doesn't warrant an R rating at all.

#9 Edited by Nilazz (630 posts) -

R18+?! Those crazy Australians!

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

@petiew said:

I've only played Meruru, but that seems crazy. Unless Totori is completely different in tone I don't see how anything in the game could warrant an 18+ rating, though I suppose Australia are always harsh on ratings.

The reactions to these games have always been oddly reactionary though. Lots of reviews slammed them for being pedo pandering bait, while as far as I know the games are kind of marketed towards a female audience.

I think a lot of that is just kneejerk reactionary thing. I've not seen anything really too pandering albeit I've only played Rorona so far. Although in Rorona her master does make comments that do have a lesbonic undertone to them but I've never seen anything that is directly pandering like risque poses or panty shots. Its just a harmless game about alchemy.

#11 Edited by Petiew (1355 posts) -

@demoskinos: Yeah, there are a few less than subtle lesbian and gay pairings in the games, but I can't think of any particuarly risque scenes from my playthrough of Meruru.

Though neither of us have played Totori, so there could be numerous sex scenes and gruesome murders.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

@petiew said:

@demoskinos: Yeah, there are a few less than subtle lesbian and gay pairings in the games, but I can't think of any particuarly risque scenes from my playthrough of Meruru.

Though neither of us have played Totori, so there could be numerous sex scenes and gruesome murders.

Well, I've only played Rorona myself but I do have sealed copies of both the other games sitting on the shelf Totori has the descriptors:

• Fantasy Violence
  • Mild Blood
  • Suggestive Themes
  • Use of Alcohol

#13 Edited by Bocam (3809 posts) -

Totori is the second game right? There's honestly nothing to warrant a 18+ rating. There's only one scene that I could think of that involves tentacles, but even that's not that bad. Though I wonder if the gay relationships brought the rating up.

#14 Posted by Vamino (215 posts) -

Where did you get that information exactly? A link or something would be nice.

Because when I search it up on the OFLC site, the only Atelier Totori I find is rated PG.

#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@vamino said:

Because when I search it up on the OFLC site, the only Atelier Totori I find is rated PG.

It's not in the OFLC's search results, but a quick Google search brings up a GameFAQs thread which links to this page.

#16 Posted by Vamino (215 posts) -

@vamino said:

It's not in the OFLC's search results, but a quick Google search brings up a GameFAQs thread which links to this page.

Wow. That's bizarre. I assume the Plus version must be the Vita version? Were there any significant additions to that? I can't say I know a lot about the game in general. Would be interesting to know what possible references to sexual violence there could be in a game like this. If there are any though, that would be enough to justify (in the OFLC's eyes) bumping it all the way from PG to R. Sexual violence is one of their big issues. Still seems just absurd to me.

Also, cheers for the link, when I did some light googling this thread was the only thing that really popped up.