Post-Arkham Knight

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conker

So I just finished the game last night (minus the final ending). No, I'm not commenting on what I thought. No, I'm not talking about how disappointing the last hour or so was.

Let's talk about what's next (spoilers ahead, maybe?)

So there are numerous references to Superman peppered throughout the world. Buildings owned by Lex Luthor. That voice-mail he leaves Bruce Wayne. Also some of the ambient dialogue mentions 'I hope that freak from metropolis' doesn't show up here too.

Which leads me to believe that Rocksteady's next project will be a Superman game.

Please?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So there are two types of gamers in the world. Those who think a Superman game would be cool, and those who were irreversibly scarred by Superman 64.

Superman was even the lamest character in the Lego super hero games...he's just too powerful to make it interesting without adding really contrived plot devices (like "kryptonite gas").

Arkham Knight also had some (less prominent) references to Green Arrow and the Flash. So I'm hoping the "spiritual successor" to this trilogy features more than just Superman (dare I hope for a Justice League game?)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be cool. I just wonder how you'd structure it. Batman's relatively easy because the combat comes for free and his gadgets can be roped in along the way. Superman is designed from birth to be perfect. The challenge should come from finding a ramp for that without just going, "The floor is made of Kryptonite."

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

They could make it a prequel type game, where Superman hasn't fully learned to fly yet and he's not as insanely powerful.

Is that even a real Superman game anymore? Who knows. I'm honestly not that interested in a Superman game myself.

I imagine after making all those Batman games they would be itching to develop a new IP where their hands aren't constantly tied by licenses and existing fiction.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: this is an even better idea. Have justice League characters and don't make superman playable

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I honestly don't think Rocksteady would be the right Warner Bros studio to work on a Superman game, for all the reasons already mentioned. Though there might be an out with a certain storyline.

They could adapt the The Death of Superman storyline and pull a MGS2: after a short prelude, Superman is killed by Doomsday. You then play as one of four pretenders to the Superman title, all weaker than the original but still powerful in their own way, competing with the others to become the new Superman. Heck, you could even stretch that out into multiple sequels.

On the other hand, they could just give the Superman license to Traveller's Tales and make you juggle the responsibilities of Superman with those of Clark Kent, setting priorities and making choices that will haunt you forever.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized that a bug prevents me from getting the last (!) riddler trophy in the game on new game + ... I'm sorta pissed.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2headedninja: which bug? also if it's only affecting ng+ maybe you can go get it in the regular story, they seem to share the riddler trophies (PC version, but I'd assume console is similar). None of them (AFAIK) are locked out in the post-game.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris said:

@2headedninja: which bug? also if it's only affecting ng+ maybe you can go get it in the regular story, they seem to share the riddler trophies (PC version, but I'd assume console is similar). None of them (AFAIK) are locked out in the post-game.

There is one Trophy in the first Stagg Airship that needs to be aquired by a voice lock, I can't lock on to that lock so I can't open the door. It might be an idea to try the regular game though, i'll check that out.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By donchipotle

I mean, I love Superman. I think he's a great character. I would love for a good developer to make a great Superman game just to spite the people who are all "IT'D BE BORING HE'S TO POWERFUL". But I don't think it will happen any time soon. If Rocksteady just starts doing comic book games the next game they make is clearly going to be Moon Knight so they can make a Batman game but in the Marvelverse.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

adapt the storyline of grant morrison's all star superman

although, I don't want to play a superman game where dying is a constant threat. that's just not superman. maybe build a game around saving people instead?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they make a Superman game, I'm not buying it. Screw Superman. I was disappointed that Arkham Knight even acknowledged Metropolis' existence.

I'd like to see something original from Rocksteady.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A justice league game could be cool?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By conker

@claybrez: doesn't seem like a solution. At least for me, I get frustrated if I'm failing or losing a game because "the AI couldn't be saved in time"

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if, rather than flying all the time, they forced you to use the Bat Super-mobile to do a range of platforming puzzles?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris said:

dude, I owe you a beer, that acutally worked.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I know alot of people think it's impossible to make a great, or even good, Superman game. But, I remember a time, before Rocksteady came around and made the impossible possible and made a great Batman game. Before that, everyone said the same thing about Batman, and how he'll never have a great game. If Rocksteady thinks they're up for the challenge, then I won't doubt them. And if not, then I still won't doubt them. I'm pretty much down for whatever they want to do next. But, I'd love for them to try and figure out the next 'impossible' comic book character, which for me is Superman.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

WWE Immortals Asylum

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still holding out for Rocksteady to produce a WW game. Imagine a sort of cross between the Arkham series and God of War. Also, since she is a powerful warrior and not as strong as Superman, the combat in the game can come off as extremely versatile and not OP.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By StarvingGamer

@firecracker22 said:

I know alot of people think it's impossible to make a great, or even good, Superman game. But, I remember a time, before Rocksteady came around and made the impossible possible and made a great Batman game. Before that, everyone said the same thing about Batman, and how he'll never have a great game.

I don't remember that at all. Even then, Batman is, for the most part, a dude who is a bit faster, stronger, and smarter than most other dudes. 99.9% of existing games are based on this premise. All Rocksteady had to do was adjust the bits and bobs until it "felt" like Batman.

"Feeling" like Superman in a traditional game sense would end up something akin to Dynasty Warriors on Very Easy where you take zero damage and can reach every objective point basically instantaneously. The only way I see a Superman game working would be if it played 95% like a Telltale game, tapping into the feelings and emotions of balancing Clark Kent and Superman, punctuated by the occasional action sequence against one of the handful of baddies that aren't fucking dumb and can actually make Superman give a fuck. Probably not something WB wants to invest millions of dollars in.

EDIT: It's a cinch to create a game world based on a dude who walks, glides, and sometimes drives. How do you build a game world that can accommodate a being that can fly somewhere between the speed of sound and the speed of light with total freedom, breaking through practically every material known to man, unless you somehow find a way to artificially reduce his powers. By, like, a lot. In which case you still aren't playing a Superman game, you're playing a Jessica Jones game with a Superman skin, and in that situation I'd much rather play a Jessica Jones game.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The coolest idea in my opinion that would be somewhat close to what they have done and translate well would be Green Arrow: Escape Lian Yu.