Bayonetta – A Language Barrier?

richie1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By richie1984

I first played Bayonetta a few years ago following its initial release. My first impressions were damning. Was it the over the top approach? The gameplay? To be perfectly honest I didn’t even get that far. I didn’t even make it through the prologue. The characters in Bayonetta are excruciating! Fast forward a couple of years, I’m currently on Chapter 10 and thoroughly enjoying it. So what changed? Well, I simply changed the audio to Japanese.

Last month Bayonetta was re-released on the Wii U as part of the Bayonetta 2 fanfare. Once again the internet was lit up by glowing commendations from pundits and fans alike. At the time of writing, Bayonetta 1 and 2 are sitting at 90 and 91 respectively on Metacritic. This is no mean feat. Clearly I hadn’t given the game enough opportunity to shine, and if nothing else, I felt I had to give it another shot.

Upon firing up the game I was instantly reminded of the fantastic artwork and presentation. This game knows exactly what it is and runs with it. There’s something about the supernatural yet biblical set-up that really appeals to me, perhaps harking back to my early Castlevania days. So far so good... Cue the first cut scene.

The opening exchange is one between Bayonetta, the protagonist, and Enzo, a squat, balding, middle age Italian American. Within seconds of it starting I knew my initial reaction had been fair. The voice acting is truly dreadful. It’s enough to make you squirm in your seat, or worse, power down your console. Each character is a poorly delivered cliché and frankly, rather embarrassing to watch. These were not characters I wanted to spend any time with.

Some might point out that the storyline is merely a backdrop to the gameplay and that these scenes can quite easily be skipped. This is true and I do appreciate that many will do just that, however, I’m a sucker for detail. I play games as a form of escapism. I play games to be immersed in a different world. I want to be compelled and recruited to a cause. For me personally, it was all or nothing. Skipping these scenes was not an option.

Before returning to Bayonetta I’d vowed to make it further than I had before. I’d returned to the game to give it a chance so I had to push my prejudices aside and plough on. But as hard as I tried I was pelted with terrible cut scene after cut scene until I’d almost had enough. But then I had a brain wave! I thought of a way around it! Crossing my fingers I dove into the audio menu and there it was. An option to switch the English voice acting to Japanese!

This may sound strange but I cannot convey the difference this has made to my Bayonetta experience. It seems to have glued the whole game together transforming it into a wonderful slice of Japanese fiction. The characters are wacky, playful and hell, even likeable. They now coalesce perfectly into the surrounding game world and it wasn’t until I’d made this change that I was allowed to be taken along for the ride.

Needless to say, Bayonetta 2 is currently sat next to my Wii U and, short of a quick tweak in the options, is ready to roll.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I had the opposite reaction. I friggin' love the voice acting, and think the whole english staff did a fantastic job; just because they're cliches doesn't mean they aren't immensely enjoyable, and honestly, I like the characters. Enzo's a short fat Italian mobster wannabee who sounds like he's doing a bad Pesci impression, but he's also got a wife and kids, plays strip-poker against Dante, and regularly finds himself wrapped up in weird-ass adventures with a bunch of supernatural entities and has his holidays ruined. I like that dude.

I think I can kinda understand where you're coming from, in the same way that a lot of my friends in high school were obsessed with and listened to a ton of J-rock music. It DID sound pretty cool, but then you look up the translated lyrics and it's this absurd mish-mash of flowery romantic singing and over-the-top exaggeratedly grim lines where they scream about darkness and your soul and such. Most if not all of those songs would sound fucking ridiculous and embarrassing in a language I actually understood, but because I didn't, I just listened to the sound and was like "Yeah, sure, this is alright."

I stand by the english voice cast of Bayonetta, though. I've played both of the games extensively and there are only a few characters where I think the quality stumbles. I even think Loki's voice in the second game is fine, and think it's kinda weird that people say his accent is somehow unbelievable. As though a dark-skinned person couldn't have a British accent...? Whatever. Point here is, while I can definitely understand where you're coming from, I'm way into Bayonetta's english voice acting. I wouldn't even wanna play that game in Japanese because I love the english version so much.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

If you don't play it in English how can you enjoy Enzo randomly saying "FUGHHHEDDDABOUT IT!" at the end of sentences?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

I love the English VA. It's bad in the best possible way, like a Troma film with Japanese sensibilities.

richie1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@make_me_mad: Of course I understand everyone has their own preferences. It's very rare that I struggle with voice actors in games but there was just something about it I couldn't get past. It's basically like a terrible dubbed B-movie...which, yeh, some people love... to be fair, that might have been exactly what they were going for but personally it's one of those where I'd prefer to stick with the subtitles and let the original cast get on with it!

I think this game has a real love hate relationship with its characters- though I think most complaints are to do with what they call Bayonetta's 'over sexualisation'. I'm just glad I persevered rather than let it turn me off- it's great, and looking forward to playing the second one!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think I remember reading that the writing and voice acting for the game was actually done in English first. I wonder if that means that the developers consider the English Bayonetta to be their ideal version of the character.

It's just crazy over the top and ridiculous and that's what I love about it.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: If I recall a similar thing was done for DMC (at least DMC 3 & 4), as the VAs for Dante, Nero, and possibly Virgil, are also their mocap actors.

I personally can't imagine Bayonetta not being having an accent, so playing in Japanese would just be weird. It's kind of like the anime for Hellsing.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Personally, I absolutely love how terrible the dialogue and voice acting is. It's top grade ham. With this sort of thing, mileage will vary greatly from person to person. I can totally understand why some folks just don't like it. The gameplay in Bayonetta though, is pretty much unparalleled.

It's like, the whole world seems to love the movie Troll 2 in spite of it being atrocious on every conceivable level. At some point all the badness (no matter how much there might be) just becomes sort of transcendent.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Platinum makes everything in English first as far as I know, pretty obvious from their design styles. Bayonetta would be an 8 year old girl if it was targetted toward a Japanese audience.

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

I think I remember reading that the writing and voice acting for the game was actually done in English first. I wonder if that means that the developers consider the English Bayonetta to be their ideal version of the character.

It's just crazy over the top and ridiculous and that's what I love about it.

@xyzygy: Platinum makes everything in English first as far as I know, pretty obvious from their design styles. Bayonetta would be an 8 year old girl if it was targetted toward a Japanese audience.

Anime News Network's ANNCast did an interview with Johnathan Klein, who led the Bayonetta anime dub. They go into Platinum's VA work and confirms that Bayonetta is written in English first then re-translated back to Japanese. It's at the 19m30s mark.

https://player.fm/series/anime-news-networks-anncast/anncast-klein-times