Is Bayonetta sexist because of fan service?

• 57 results
Avatar image for the7thdraconian
the7thdraconian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

This has popped up a few times so I want to clarify that I don't think Bayonetta is sexist. The game just got me thinking about how I usually can't stand stuff like it, but I thought that it really worked in this game (minus a few of Bayonetta's unlockable outfits that just made me roll my eyes) and I was just curious about what other people think. Thanks to everyone that has responded.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@gnatsol said:

@midnvis said:

Sexism is treating a woman as less than equal because she's a woman. It's quite simple. Everything else is you being overly fucking sensitive. It's virtually impossible to be sexist in something as unrealistic as Bayonetta.

There's lots of reasons to have half naked people in everything that half naked people appear in. It's because people like it.

@gnatsol said:

What is wrong with women doing that as long as they don't go into slutty territory?

You realize that's actual sexism right?

Explain.

Pretty sure they mean that any kind of caveats put on what women can/cannot wear is equivalent to sexism. In this case, 'slutshaming'.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I was happy because it was a topic about Bayonetta, then I was said because it was a topic about sexism.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54  Edited By Levio

It's not sexist, but providing so much female fanservice alongside zero male fanservice is unfair at best and kind of insulting at worst. It's as if developers don't think female gamers are worth the effort, or that they don't have equivalent desires.

But yeah, not sexist per se.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

@gnatsol said:

@midnvis said:

Sexism is treating a woman as less than equal because she's a woman. It's quite simple. Everything else is you being overly fucking sensitive. It's virtually impossible to be sexist in something as unrealistic as Bayonetta.

There's lots of reasons to have half naked people in everything that half naked people appear in. It's because people like it.

@gnatsol said:

What is wrong with women doing that as long as they don't go into slutty territory?

Explain.

Pretty sure they mean that any kind of caveats put on what women can/cannot wear is equivalent to sexism. In this case, 'slutshaming'.

Fine. Sluts are cool.

I was speaking more towards what I believe what most people would be okay/not okay with, but opening up the flood gates on sexual appearance or actions/characteristics would be okay with me. I enjoy my fiction having free liberty.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Example1013

I had like 5 drinks and smoked 4 blunts last night and still lost more brain cells skimming this thread.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gnatsol said:

@greggd said:

@gnatsol said:

@midnvis said:

@gnatsol said:

Explain.

Fine. Sluts are cool.

I was speaking more towards what I believe what most people would be okay/not okay with, but opening up the flood gates on sexual appearance or actions/characteristics would be okay with me. I enjoy my fiction having free liberty.

Wholeheartedly agree. If we're somehow supposed to put up with character designs like the ones out of, say, FFX, then I don't understand how anyone can say anything bad about Bayonetta.