#1 Posted by Microshock (341 posts) -

- Slow for the sake of being slow, not to give the characters depth or make you give a crap about anyone. You move slowly, everything happens slowly, conversations drag on and on.
-Silly. How the hell do you care so much about everyone on that ranch after you've been there for one day? ONE DAY. You were with the homeless people under the bridge for even less but apparently you really care about everyone for some reason.
- Boring. That whole desert level was so boring and it just went for so long. Which reminds me that the controls are terrible! Feels like a struggle to just get around.

- Sterile. The whole game has this feeling of you being in a hospital room. That might be intentional but practically every single part of this game felt like that. Lifeless.
- The dialogue is laughable and so are the scenarios. Not a single emotional moment in this game clicked with me and I don't understand how it clicked with anyone else either. Most of the characters are shit. Willem Dafoe is on the front of the box but probably had about an hour of total time on screen. I hate the name Aiden. I hated how this game pretended it was so deep and the revelations were so amazing, like David Cage was creaming himself the entire time he was writing it.

I did like some parts like the dinner date. Felt like one of the only interesting parts in the game and that was a section that consisted of me making/ordering food, taking a shower, and cleaning up the apartment. Ellen Paige is pretty one-note through the whole thing and I don't think she put in her best effort but the performance was fine. Aiden powers were neat sometimes.

But wow, what a waste of effort on something so ...boring. 2/5

#2 Posted by cloudnineboya (762 posts) -

just wondering do you think it was boring.

#3 Posted by slyspider (1133 posts) -

It's a story game? Don't like story? You won't like this lol

#4 Posted by Wolfgame (678 posts) -

Michael Bay is busy, we can only have so many games inspired by his aura at once

#5 Edited by tourgen (4426 posts) -

yes, I'd characterize it as extremely safe. No pointy edges. Not much interesting going on.

#6 Posted by laserguy (432 posts) -

i like david cage games. I thought beyond was a great piece of work.

#7 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

2 out of 5? Did willem dafoe add one point?

#8 Posted by Microshock (341 posts) -

@wolfgame said:

Michael Bay is busy, we can only have so many games inspired by his aura at once

I know you're being sarcastic but nobody asked for this game to have explosions everywhere for it to be interesting. You can have interesting dialogue, scenarios, character development, etc. This game lacked all of that.

#9 Posted by ripelivejam (3459 posts) -

so sterile they use it to hold broken bones together?

i got nothin.

#10 Posted by Microshock (341 posts) -

So sterile my dad no longer impregnated my mother.

#11 Posted by Random45 (995 posts) -

I'm currently playing this game, and I agree. This is really, REALLY slow, and it's just beginning to bore me. Not to mention the controls - I had to re-position my stupid character like five times in order to interact with this dumb item, and you're unable to adjust the camera because it kind of gets stuck at some points. And what was the freaking point of that whole ranch segment? As if the game wasn't slow enough, they put the main story on pause as it goes through a completely pointless side story.

I also hate it when a story is told out of order, especially in a game like this, since it feels so unnecessary. I really hope this picks up soon... I'm just glad I bought this on Black Friday and got it 50% off.

#12 Edited by handlas (2636 posts) -

So now you know what a David Cage game is. Probably could of figured it out by playing the demo or reading reviews before plucking down 60 bucks tho.

#13 Posted by The_Nubster (2037 posts) -

I've heard that it was an interesting game, but if it were a movie, it'd be a sack of shit. Sounds like the gaminess of it wasn't enough to hold your attention, so instead you concentrated on the sack of shit parts of it.

#14 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5173 posts) -

David Cage game.

#15 Posted by ILikePopCans (745 posts) -

This story game has too much story

#16 Edited by Microshock (341 posts) -

@handlas said:

So now you know what a David Cage game is. Probably could of figured it out by playing the demo or reading reviews before plucking down 60 bucks tho.

Heavy Rain seemed way more interesting than this, with the whole murder mystery and the much larger array of choices. And I didn't plop down 60 on it...thank you Gamestop for your used game returns.

I've heard that it was an interesting game, but if it were a movie, it'd be a sack of shit. Sounds like the gaminess of it wasn't enough to hold your attention, so instead you concentrated on the sack of shit parts of it.

Game part is bad too. Controls aren't good and there's these action sequences that try to have a cover system. Terrible.

#17 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Somehow I feel like you still have Halo 4 sitting in your Xbox

#18 Edited by Microshock (341 posts) -

No, but i'm sure that'd be a much better game even though they're not really meant to be compared. If you're going to make a game to the point of it becoming an interactive movie, then make it a good movie!

#19 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

No, but i'm sure that'd be a much better game even though they're not really meant to be compared. If you're going to make a game to the point of it becoming an interactive movie, then make it a good movie!

Fair enough

#20 Edited by Korwin (2813 posts) -

Needs more sick head shots.

#21 Posted by billymagnum (711 posts) -

the demo killed any hopes of me buying the game. i really wanted to experience the story but playing it was not enjoyable at all. i opted to skip the purchase and merely watch a stream of the story cut together like a film.

#22 Posted by CrazyBagMan (834 posts) -

Not having played Heavy Rain I think is the simplest way to sum this up. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

#23 Edited by SlashDance (1801 posts) -
How the hell do you care so much about everyone on that ranch after you've been there for one day? ONE DAY. You were with the homeless people under the bridge for even less but apparently you really care about everyone for some reason.

That's the main problem I have with Quantic Dream's games. More often than not the emotional moments simply feel unearned.

But I still enjoy them, because QD are with Telltale the only ones making this kind of games.

Also, the story in Beyond isn't that crappy compared to 95% of video games.

#24 Edited by Microshock (341 posts) -

@slashdance said:
@microshock said:
How the hell do you care so much about everyone on that ranch after you've been there for one day? ONE DAY. You were with the homeless people under the bridge for even less but apparently you really care about everyone for some reason.

That's the main problem I have with Quantic Dream's games. More often than not the emotional moments simply feel unearned.

But I still enjoy them, because QD are with Telltale the only ones making this kind of games.

Also, the story in Beyond isn't that crappy compared to 95% of video games.

But the story in Beyond is what that game is all for. Other videogames can fall back on gameplay or spectacle. This was a bad movie dragged out for 12 hours with bad gameplay to boot.And yeah, those moments being unearned make the choices you make meaningless. I chose the person I spent the most time with in the game, Ryan, also a character that had practically no development.

I forgot to mention that the game is very visually impressive . The detail they got on the faces and in the environment was a nice touch. Just so it doesn't look like i think the game is totally worthless.

#25 Edited by Petiew (1322 posts) -

I've only watched a playthrough of the game, rather than getting it myself. (It was the Best Friends playthrough where they shat all over it, so my opinion might be slightly biased based on that)

I felt like the structure of the timeline really harmed the game. If it followed Jodie's life in a linear fashion it could have been interesting but there was no build up or emotion behind what should have been emotionally draining scenes. There's barely any interaction with Nathan, Cole, Ryan or anyone, it just felt very underdeveloped and weak.

#26 Posted by EternalVigil (239 posts) -

@petiew said:

I've only watched a playthrough of the game, rather than getting it myself. (It was the Best Friends playthrough where they shat all over it, so my opinion might be slightly biased based on that)

I felt like the structure of the timeline really harmed the game. If it followed Jodie's life in a linear fashion it could have been interesting but there was no build up or emotion behind what should have been emotionally draining scenes. There's barely any interaction with Nathan, Cole, Ryan or anyone, it just felt very underdeveloped and weak.

Yeah I finished watching their playthrough last night.

The game is robbed of any emotional gravitas because, right after a potentially impactful scene, it would either jump forward or back to another time, so you couldn't get invested in it. The section with the homeless had a lot of really good emotional scenes, and was probably the best part of the game, but then you jump into the future and she's magically fine again.

Speaking of magic, they really should have try to explain the limits of Aiden's powers, and what he can and can't do, as it constantly changes throughout the game for no reason other than to raise dramatic tension and to let Jodie do something. Why can he only possess some people? Why can he create a forceshield that deflects bullets, but he only does it 2-3 times, when there were plenty of situations where that would have been useful. The problem is he's so incredibly powerful compared to any threat in the game, so they have to make him weaker for unexplained reasons so the plot can progress.

I also don't like the ramifications laid out by the ending of that game, and how the main antagonist goes out, as it sends some horrible messages to what David Cage thinks about how to deal with grief, not to mention that despite all their choices in regards to one character so their Jodie hated this guy, David Cage still makes them love each other regardless, which really robs any illusion of choice in the game.

#27 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Beyond Two Souls is probably the funniest movie I've watched all year. I watched some guy stream it live with chat. I've never laughed so hard at a video game in my life.

#28 Edited by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

@microshock said:

But the story in Beyond is what that game is all for.

I disagree. It's still a video game. It was fun to play with other people in the room telling me what to say or what to do, It was fun to scare these kids during the party scene, it was fun ruining that diner scene and telling Ryan to fuck off at every turn. The simple act of interacting with the story and the characters can make these games fun to play, albeit in a sort of shallow and forgettable way. They don't need a good story in the same way a book or a movie needs a good story.

I don't disagree with most of what you have to say about the game though. I would maybe give it a 3, if I'm feeling generous. But as I said Quantic Dream are the only ones doing this, and they do it in interesting ways. I like the fact that choices are almost never spelled out, the fact that you can miss entire scenes or have others play out in multiple ways but never even notice it until you play the game again, the way Jodie's walking animation is different in almost every scene, etc...

I don't like their games but I find them incredibly fascinating.

#29 Posted by Microshock (341 posts) -

@microshock said:

But the story in Beyond is what that game is all for.

I disagree. It's still a video game. It was fun to play with other people in the room telling me what to say or what to do, It was fun to scare these kids during the party scene, it was fun ruining that diner scene and telling Ryan to fuck off at every turn. The simple act of interacting with the story and the characters can make these games fun to play, albeit in a sort of shallow and forgettable way. They don't need a good story in the same way a book or a movie needs a good story.

I don't disagree with most of what you have to say about the game though. I would maybe give it a 3, if I'm feeling generous. But as I said Quantic Dream are the only ones doing this, and they do it in interesting ways. I like the fact that choices are almost never spelled out, the fact that you can miss entire scenes or have others play out in multiple ways but never even notice it until you play the game again, the way Jodie's walking animation is different in almost every scene, etc...

I don't like their games but I find them incredibly fascinating.

Yes, they're unique games and they have a place but they can be done so much better. The story,writing, and the characters in it are just such shit. I did have fun with messing around with things as Aiden but it's so limited and like others said, they're inconsistent.