#1 Edited by michaelferrari (23 posts) -

Man, Beyond has me so confused right now. Not the plot or anything like that, but with how I feel about it. I just completed it about an hour and a half ago, and the whole time playing it, I went back and forth with how I felt about it. Sometimes I felt like the game was knocking it out of the park, other times it felt like a chore that I wanted to be over already. Without spoiling anything, I'll say that the game has one heck of an ending, and that is one thing that definitely made me glad I played.

The story overall I really liked, and several moments had me sitting on the edge of my seat, totally pumped to be seeing what I was seeing. However, there are some parts that I think really held the game back. Certain segments and side-plots seemed to not fit in at all. There is definitely an inconstant quality to the writing too, being excellent at times, but corny and flat out bad on occasion. I can only classify it as "David Cage."

Having played through it, it's obvious why reviews are all over the place. The best advice I can give, is if you like David Cage's previous games, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, or Heavy Rain, you'll like Beyond. Anyways, anybody else out there stuck in a similar situation as I?

#2 Posted by GreggD (4440 posts) -

So what you're trying to say is, 3/5? That's how it reads to me, at least.

#3 Edited by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

I feel like most of the people who like David Cage's stuff seem to like it because of the "potential" and how he's "pushing things forward" more than they actually like the content itself.

I'm really curious how this game will sell. I think a lot of people who fell for the trap that was Heavy Rain won't fall for it again with Beyond Two Souls.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Im Half Way(?) through, I don't know, its kind of hard to tell the way the game 'map' works. And I agree, Again, not spoiling things. But I kind of wish it was more puzzle solvie, and less cinimatic gameplay. In fact, now thinking about it, the three times I have taken a break have been because of scenarios that i just got tired of, or felt lasted too long.

But I do like the Idea that Ellen Paige got her autobiography made into a Video Game, Props to her, more people should get their biography's made into video games.

#5 Posted by Sterling (1714 posts) -

Wait, how long is this game? It came out yesterday and you finished it already?

#6 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -

@misogynist_the_klown said:

Wait, how long is this game? It came out yesterday and you finished it already?

Some people finish games quickly. I just finished it and I'd say it was about 8-12 hours.

#7 Posted by Quarters (1547 posts) -

@jazgalaxy: That's not always true. I genuinely greatly enjoy the content of his games. As for Beyond, I'm not super far into it(a little before half), but I am REALLY liking it so far. Very curious to see where it goes, and I definitely think it could end up being his best game so far. Can't wait to try some more(hopefully tomorrow). Also, Duo Mode is pretty rad. That's what I've been playing it on.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (13833 posts) -

My take is that its fantastic in every aspect except the script. I just man.... I can't get over some of the decisions cage made with the story. I really really enjoyed watching Ellen Page act in this though. So I gotta say its a 3/5 for me as well. I can't entirely knock the game because it does so much so well but just man... the script the goddamn script. UGH.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

My take is that its fantastic in every aspect except the script. I just man.... I can't get over some of the decisions cage made with the story. I really really enjoyed watching Ellen Page act in this though. So I gotta say its a 3/5 for me as well. I can't entirely knock the game because it does so much so well but just man... the script the goddamn script. UGH.

Given the quality of the writing, I have to wonder what Page and Dafoe were thinking while giving their performances. The writing is faaaaaaaaar below the quality that they're accustomed to.

#10 Posted by PandaBear (1264 posts) -

When I saw this pic of the script and listened to Cage boasting about it being 2000 pages I knew he had lost it. Even Stephen King praises the work of editors and cutting you own work down... I mean you shouldn't be proud of a script that big. It's like so many games where there's not enough oversight on the story or enough people to say "Look this is flat out boring/dumb/bad/badumb". *cough* Kojima *cough* ........ *cough* GEARS OF WAR 2 *cough*

#11 Posted by AMyggen (1980 posts) -

Oh God, that script!

#12 Posted by Zero_ (1970 posts) -

When I saw this pic of the script and listened to Cage boasting about it being 2000 pages I knew he had lost it. Even Stephen King praises the work of editors and cutting you own work down... I mean you shouldn't be proud of a script that big. It's like so many games where there's not enough oversight on the story or enough people to say "Look this is flat out boring/dumb/bad/badumb". *cough* Kojima *cough* ........ *cough* GEARS OF WAR 2 *cough*

Wait how can you tell how large it is from that picture? Could be hundreds of copies there.

#13 Posted by narujoe93 (2421 posts) -

@pandabear: That's not the real script. Sony sent that out to the gaming media. It's just a bunch of blank pages. And I doubt that's anywhere near what the script is in size

#14 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

I feel like most of the people who like David Cage's stuff seem to like it because of the "potential" and how he's "pushing things forward" more than they actually like the content itself.

I'm really curious how this game will sell. I think a lot of people who fell for the trap that was Heavy Rain won't fall for it again with Beyond Two Souls.

I don't see how Heavy Rain was a trap. It wasn't marketing itself as a shooter or action game or anything that it was not. People have been saying ever since the first trailer dropped that it was "QTE the game."

I liked Heavy Rain, it didn't have potential, it fulfilled it. A game without gameovers, a game with permanent deaths that affect the story, a game that didn't explicitly go between cutscene and gameplay and instead meshed them together. The only failing of Cage's games is the writing and acting. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Heavy Rain succeeds as a good game, but fails as a good movie. If these games had the writing caliber of Naughty Dog or Telltale Games, then I would have bought Beyond Two Souls on day 1. Heavy Rain was fine because I can stomach these no-name actors doing terrible American accents and delivering hammy lines. But seeing big name actors like Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe delivering Cage's stuff? I'd just feel too embarrassed for them to be able to go through it all. That and I'm also kinda disappointed that he went with a more "gamey" premise of controlling a ghost, as if he was afraid of people's backlash of it being a QTE heavy game. I liked the conventional police procedural setup of Heavy Rain with semi-futuristic undertones (ARI glasses) that were never the center of attention. My only problem with David Cage is that his story and direction comes off as really overbearing, corny and cloying. I can't even recall how many times there were unnecessary musical cues during Heavy Rain, like the somber sentimental piano music playing in the very beginning of the game before any of the bad shit has happened.

The game concept is solid, it just needs to be delivering a better story.

#15 Edited by PandaBear (1264 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

@pandabear: That's not the real script. Sony sent that out to the gaming media. It's just a bunch of blank pages. And I doubt that's anywhere near what the script is in size

@zero_

So this is from VG247 (yeah, I know, but just go with me on this one) "Amazingly, Cage confirmed he wrote the entire script- a mere 2,000 pages worth. With the dialogue complete, he was extremely keen to improve on the performance of his cast." ... he's a maniac. That thing may be fake, but his bloated writing isn't.

Moar sauces.

#16 Posted by Chaser324 (5953 posts) -

My take is that its fantastic in every aspect except the script.

I haven't played Beyond yet, but this seems to be a running theme in most of David Cage's games. His script manages to nail certain moments very well, but he always finds some way to betray those moments with some pretty awful turns in the plot (e.g. the ending of Indigo Prophecy).

#17 Posted by SlashDance (1757 posts) -

A lot of video games have big scripts, Beyond is nothing special in that regard.

But don't take my word for it.

#18 Edited by lusence (345 posts) -

well it takes up 15 years of a girls life and she is pretty much haunted by a spirit since birth, and it takes place over diff. destinations across the globe and US. i think it improved on almost everything from H.R. although just the whole real life feel of HR and the kinda just despair the father is feeling after losing a kid etc was kinda the point. did make it a bit boring in parts though. there is a lot of really fast segments that can be done in about 30 min. in beyond, so there is not really much down time in the game at all. not sure how anyone who played and enjoyed IP and HR could not love this game. If you didnt like IP and HR then you really should not be playing this, even though it did improve on a lot of stuff trying to make up for its short coming on the last 2. really not sure how this game 'didnt deliver' it did more than deliver it dominates emotion IMO.

only thing that really kinda bugged me is NO MOTION CONTROLLER???!!!! wtf man that was like the big boost to HR. they should of really put that in there. but i guess thats just extra man hours etc. but still they put in mobile device over a motion controller? bah!

#19 Posted by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -

@hailinel said:H.

Given the quality of the writing, I have to wonder what Page and Dafoe were thinking while giving their performances. The writing is faaaaaaaaar below the quality that they're accustomed to.

I dunno. Dafoe in particular is one of those actors who's acted in everything from Oscar winners to B-movies. I'm sure he's done worse.