User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By oodli
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@hailinel: Man, I roll my eyes just about as hard to Kuchera as I do Arthur Gies.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By spraynardtatum

I'ma rent this

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Good. I rather have mixed opinions than universal praise or hate. Really interested in playing it and seeing how I feel.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@msavo said:

Good. I rather have mixed opinions than universal praise or hate. Really interested in playing it and seeing how I feel.

Same here, every thing I hear and see of this makes me want to try it out.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Darji
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Seems like there isn't any really bad English voice over work done by French actors. No more Jason, Jason, Jason! for me.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I can't say I'm too surprised; David Cage's games always seem to be very polarizing. In fact these reviews have only made me more interested in checking out the game.

But I'm also a fan of Quantic Dream games. I love Fahrenheit even though it isn't perfect, those stealth sections are pretty bad, but I think it's awesome that a studio like QD can exist and get to make experimenting games with the budget of a AAA game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By xyzygy

Sounds like a game I really don't want to play.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By Hunter5024

Sounds about right.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@me3639 said:

Its an adventure game.

I like different types of games other than run right, shoot everything in sight.

Neither this nor Heavy Rain are adventure games. Adventure games do more than just tell a story.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@notdavid said:

This totally looks like another game that everyone will be way into for a week, and I'll be the only one that still likes it a year later. I don't know if it's backlash or collective amnesia, but I still think Heavy Rain was dope as fuck.

You're not alone man, Heavy Rain is still my favorite game of this generation.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

@notdavid said:

This totally looks like another game that everyone will be way into for a week, and I'll be the only one that still likes it a year later. I don't know if it's backlash or collective amnesia, but I still think Heavy Rain was dope as fuck.

Me too. Loved Heavy Rain.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda want to play it. I've never played a quantic dream game, but it seems interesting and I like Ellen Page. Probably wont play it though, certainly not gonna pay full price for it. Plus i still have GTA and Shadow Warrior. And also I just bought the latest Civ V expansion.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Bah, this doesn't prove much. Heavy Rains problem wasn't the gameplay or lack thereof. It was that it was terribly written and filled with plotholes. Possibly also the most offensive misuse of the unreliable narrator I have ever seen.

I'll wait until someone I trust can tell me how the story feels before putting any judgement or interest into Beyond.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like you can tell who wants that Sony ad money and who actually gave their honest opinion of the game.

Nah, i kid, but David Cage IS a pretentious french asshole(the worst kind).

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@recspec said:

@notdavid said:

Heavy Rain is awesome. Dont care what anyone says

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Killerfridge

I think I'll wait for this to go down in price. I love narrative based games, but Quantic Dream games always have such a flawed story.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite a contrast to what a lot of other reviews have said, mainly how she actually enjoyed the story and its non-linear structure where a number of reviews have hated both of those things. She even points out the well-written dialogue yet Alex's reviewed mentioned how poor it was in a lot of cases. Opinions yo.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews/review scores have been useless for a while. I hope GB gets rid of them at some point.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@erhard said:

Either way, the game doesn't really interest me and I can't stand Ellen Page.

What? How?

I thought that sentence was going to end in 'David Cage,' but then you flipped my reality around on top of itself.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Seems like the places which value story over raw game mechanics scored it higher

Assuming that you didn't read every single one of these reviews (though I admit I could be wrong), I don't think it's reasonable to assume the reviews are split evenly between "I value story, so I liked it" and "I value gameplay, so I disliked it". Perhaps some of the people who scored it low value story a whole lot -- and didn't like the story in Beyond: Two Souls.

I personally enjoy a strong narrative, but I don't play a lot of JRPGs because I find the stories, writing, and characters to be mind-numbingly terrible most of the time. I'd be pretty offended if someone told me my lack of interest in the genre was because I don't value story.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#73  Edited By Humanity

@echoecho said:

@humanity said:

Seems like the places which value story over raw game mechanics scored it higher

Assuming that you didn't read every single one of these reviews (though I admit I could be wrong), I don't think it's reasonable to assume the reviews are split evenly between "I value story, so I liked it" and "I value gameplay, so I disliked it". Perhaps some of the people who scored it low value story a whole lot -- and didn't like the story in Beyond: Two Souls.

I personally enjoy a strong narrative, but I don't play a lot of JRPGs because I find the stories, writing, and characters to be mind-numbingly terrible most of the time. I'd be pretty offended if someone told me my lack of interest in the genre was because I don't value story.

I was just generalizing. Looking over the list, places like Polygon for instance seem to be influenced a whole lot by the narrative when scoring games. I haven't played so hey I'll take your word for it man.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SlashDance

A game that doesn't have the same score everywhere, plus or minus one point? I don't know what to believe anymore!

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75  Edited By shivermetimbers

I bought it. I think Alex review is probably going to mimic my thoughts on the game once I decide to play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a fan of Heavy Rain, I'll probably play it no matter what the reviews said......eventually that is. I agree though: mixed reviews interest me the most.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

You know, each outlet has a handful of different reviewers... reviewers who likely don't agree entirely with one another. Polygon is not some singular entity. An Arthur Gies review looks significantly different from a Justin McElroy review.

Sure, but every site gives off some sort of vibe. You're not wrong, and I don't think either am I, we just may look at it a bit differently. Ok let me rephrase what I wrote for you specifically: to me personally, Polygon and the staff therein, seem to value story over gameplay ON AVERAGE, in my opinion.

Although ironically while a Gies and McElroy review would differ greatly in delivery, they are both guys that put a strong emphasis on story. For instance, I don't think either of them would get as much enjoyment out of Syndicate as opposed to Jeff who liked it because he's a lot more heavily influenced by gameplay mechanics. By that I mean Jeff can rate a game that is fun for him to play but has a shitty story pretty high, while the aforementioned gentleman from Polygon might not, in my opinion of course, as neither of us can really speak for them.

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By nutta27

I played heavy rain in one sitting so I will no doubt play this Friday. Mixed reviews are kind of worrying me though.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@project343:

She seems like the person who doesn't have cable and tells everyone about it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@recspec said:

@notdavid said:

Heavy Rain is awesome. Dont care what anyone says

The narrative despite having some plot holes worked for the most part for me which is why I ended up loving it quite a lot. I just hope that Beyond's narrative is just as good but hearing that there are some crazy unnatural twists in it is making me reluctant. I might just wait for a price drop first.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@project343:

She seems like the person who doesn't have cable and tells everyone about it.

No

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@hailinel: Man, I roll my eyes just about as hard to Kuchera as I do Arthur Gies.

Do your eyes do a 360 if you see both at the same time?

Anyway about Kuchera, to me it just reinforce what i always thought about him. Short version: I think more highly of the pile of poop the neighbor's dog did on my lawn than Kuchera. There's no long version.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#84  Edited By musubi

@pr1mus: Id probably go into convulsions and foam at the mouth.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

This review was really good. And It showed me exactly wanted I wanted to know.

Yeah it was a very good review. I will pick this up once the price goes down a bit........At the end of the video i was expecting Tara to copy Sessler and say "FIve................out of ..................Five" with the long pauses!

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea it is clear to me I need to play this game, it seems like people either love or hate it, but at least is it something crazy different.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MC_Hify

But what about the accents?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

This is the first time in a while that I've seen both a 5/5 and a 5/10 for the same game :o

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Videogame shutdown!!!

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Controversy! Opinions! Willem Dafoe!

ART!!!

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#94  Edited By Nictel

@jjrage said:

If I recall, Jim Sterling didn't like Heavy Rain much either, and I loved it. So I'll take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Jim Sterling is a great reviewer for me. For some reason everything he hates, I love. So if he dislikes a game it's almost always a good purchase for me.

Also,

But choice is wildly overrated in video games. Interactivity does not demand that all games become Choose Your Own Adventure stories. The decisions you make in Beyond are still significant, and they allow for a collaboration among player and designer that isn’t possible in other forms of storytelling. The point of the choices in Beyond is not to make the game replayable but to make you emotionally invested in the story.

From the NY Times review

is I think a great counterpoint to the "it's not a game" argument. The whole NY Times review I feel is really good. If you read any review, I would advise that one.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching quite a bit of it I am beginning to understand why people think the story is not good. The games jumps ALOT it is always back and forth so that it is hard to follow the whole thing. But on the other hand these scenes are really great and explain a lot about Jodie and Aiden. I really dig the way they tell the story. But for the normal crowd it maybe have been better to tell the story from the beginning to the end without that much jumping.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

Gameinformer gave it a 7.75. I haven't read the review but that particular reviewer is pretty fair. That's probably a pretty accurate score. Basically I got the impression from what I skimmed that he feels it is memorable but flawed. Sounds like Heavy Rain to me.

Just curious how a review can be more accurate than the others?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god someone finally has the balls to reference Jeux Video on Giant Bomb (who the f...?????)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thank god someone finally has the balls to reference Jeux Video on Giant Bomb (who the f...?????)

Is there something wrong with Jeux Video?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#99 chaser324  Moderator

Maybe you've never heard of them, but they're fairly well known.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear said:

Is there something wrong with Jeux Video?

It's in French. I mean I have no problem with that, but referencing a review that I'd dare say the majority of people reading Giant Bomb don't speak French. So there's no way you can check the review to gain any sort of context as to why they scored it that way. And a review score without context is useless.