Ryan Clayton hate?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jedted

I've notice a lot of hate for the guy among everyone who's played the game, which understandable of course. He ripped Jodie away from the only loving family she's known(Nathan and Cole) so it's a little weird that she can fall in love with him at the end.

I was a fan of him at first but i kind of warmed up to him by the end. Looking back i think Ryan was just a CIA puppet, like Jodie, but except he didn't want to believe it.

Also, whatever you thought about the writing of the character, i thought the acting was good enough to make me like him.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JZ

Everyone hates him because he's a crazy person that falls in love with jodie like 8 separate times.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ruining that diner scene and then rejecting him every chance I got were among the most satisfying things I did in Beyond.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By turboman

I pushed away from him for most of the game and casually built up towards having him as the romantic connection for Jodie towards the end (mostly began after you got out of the submarine).

I think him punching fuckface and risking his life to save Jodie's in the end was what made me choose him.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

I pushed away from him for most of the game and casually built up towards having him as the romantic connection for Jodie towards the end (mostly began after you got out of the submarine).

I think him punching fuckface and risking his life to save Jodie's in the end was what made me choose him.

Exactly my experience. I avoided romantic options at every turn but at the very end I was like okay...we've been through some shit together and he finally came off as sort of genuine? So I ended up picking him because the only other choice in my mind was being alone and I sort of wanted a bit of a happy ending? I think the spoiler video that was put up sums it up nicely as does Alex's review. I spent the entire game just being irritated that they consistently blew every single possible good moment that game had with bombastic bullshit.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Nope, fuck him. That guy is a spectacular brand of asshole. The way he treated Jodie in my game made it impossible for me to like him. What may seem to you like he's redeeming himself in the last chapter just looks to me like he's sucking up to Jodie. Good on him for hitting general fuckface. He can flaunt his empty eye socket all he wants, he's not getting any easy sympy from me.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@turboman said:

Exactly my experience. I avoided romantic options at every turn but at the very end I was like okay...we've been through some shit together and he finally came off as sort of genuine? So I ended up picking him because the only other choice in my mind was being alone and I sort of wanted a bit of a happy ending? I think the spoiler video that was put up sums it up nicely as does Alex's review. I spent the entire game just being irritated that they consistently blew every single possible good moment that game had with bombastic bullshit.

Same thing here. He was alright.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that i think makes the Ryan "romance" weird is in the scene where if she tells him to fuck off when they first meet and then before the date she says she's falling for him. I guess you could write that off as her just being a teenager and it's a superficial love but you don't really know how much has gone by and maybe she got to know him a little more since joining the CIA.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jedted: Yes, and then he lies in the mission briefing to the woman he has a romantic relationship with. There's no coming back from that. I get that he probably has his orders or something. But then why isn't he crying and apologizing in the helicopter when the truth is revealed? Why is he distant and cold during the whole China mission? And then super desparate in the last chapter. Here's Ryan Clayton, no nonsense, tough as nails, oh god why don't you love me, please pat me on the head.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coinmatze: I'm not saying he's the most well written character but performance wise i thought he was alright.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By korwin

He immediately lost points by being played by the dude who was the douchebag rich republican guy that was going to marry Kumar's girlfriend in Harold and Kumar 2 :P

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I totally buy Jodie falling for him early on, after all how many other young, handsome men was she around at the time or ever? In the end, however, there was no way my Jodie could be with him. He lied to her, putting her through the second most traumatic experience of her life (if you went to the bar during Like Other Girls). Who would want to live with, let alone kiss and fuck, a constant reminder of that horrible event.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wjb

So I have been going back to games I've missed over the past few months since I'm done with school. Just finished Beyond earlier, so I'm late to the party.

I didn't mind the story as much as I thought I would, but good god, what the hell was up with this game trying to hook Jodie up with Ryan on more than one occasion? Like, after the mission with the Dragon's Hideout, when Ryan professed his love for her right after they almost died and could possibly die from the cold. Not the best timing, but okay. He feels like he has to say something in case they do die, but he says it in such a pathetic, juvenile way. "I luv u. U luv me 2, lol?" No means no, David Cage

Then he kind of brings it up again at the DPA lobby and by that point I'm just like, "Good grief, dude. Get a life." Now I know how my college freshman crush felt when I kept on professing my love for her because I was too immature to understand that constant erections towards a girl does not equate genuine feelings for someone.

So cool. He redeems himself toward the end, but considering he manipulated Jodie into killing multiple (possibly innocent) men and forcing her to experience something horrific that she will never forget (Salim), "her not wanting to kill him" is kind of being generous.

I don't know. I suppose people have different opinions, but falling in love with Ryan just felt completely inappropriate after what had happened between him and Jodie after her CIA mission. Also, it led to her on the run, being hunted down by multiple people trying to kill her. Then homelessness and near-suicide. Those are kind of serious. It's not exactly like he stood her up on a date or whatever. "I saved yr life. U have sex w/ me now?"

I chose "Beyond" at the end because I looked at Ryan curled up in ball saying how much he loved Jodie, and I was like, "Nope, gonna die now, I guess!" I didn't even know if there was any other options. I'd rather die (literally) than have to interact with Ryan once more.

I never want to hate on David Cage too much -- he does do certain stuff right -- but he can't do romance for shit. I refused to do anything really for the dinner date, out of spite. Okay, the asshole who seemed bitter when I graduated into the CIA and was a total dick when he came to get me to join the agency when I was a teenager (A TEENAGER!) is now in love with me? Sure, a few years supposedly passed and stuff probably happened in those few years, but SHOW ME!

And how fucking old is Ryan anyway, 30's? I know Jodie was probably in her early 20's by the last half of the game, but Ryan met her when she was a whiny child who didn't want to leave Cole or Nathan. Fucking gross, Ryan. "She was an obnoxious teenage brat when I first met her and I am her superior in the CIA, but for some reason (a reason the game doesn't feel like explaining because it's not like it's important or anything), I feel like I am in love with her."

Why don't you get in your Camaro and cruise for high school girls while you're at it, you fucking one-eyed perv.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck that guy. If they wanted him to be an interesting romantic option they should've done more than just make him a boring but moderately handsome dude. Also he didn't always treat Jodie particularly well. Still better than the Native guy. He was also a boring, moderately handsome dude who treated Jodie like shit, the only difference being that he was brown and only knew her for about a week.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan's alright. Though he definitely was an a-hole early on, I think he redeems himself by the end. Also, I actually think the endings where Jodie dies or ends up with the other guy actually show that he truly cares, as his reactions to both are pretty sad. Though he isn't perfect, I actually think he was telling the truth with her. He should just start expressing it better.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Sarumarine

He seemed like a pretty boring designated love interest without many good scenes to sell the romance. I did watch two playthroughs that shut Ryan down at every conceivable turn, and by the end of the game Jodie still says she loves him. I don't know, I found it kind of fun to bag on the obvious "Handsome American Secret Agent Dude Who is Totally Supposed to Hook up with Jodie by the End of the Game For Some Reason, Except if you Choose the Native American Guy™"

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember guys, just because you can break the narrative doesn't mean you should.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By djou

This game has some of the most implausible romances I've ever seen in a game. My main reason for not believing the romance between Jodie and Ryan, or Jodie and that Indian dude was the physical difference between the characters. Quantic Dream worked to make the Jodie character model a realistic non sexualized female, but then the only option was to pair her with these bro alpha male types. I almost wanted her to get with the homeless dude that actually saved her life. I played through the ending a bunch of times and the only one that I was happy with was the Bruce Banner "alone" option. Regardless of whether or not Ryan redeem himself, I where the player didn't have the option to roleplay through romance.

The thought that kept occurring to me as I was playing was that David Cage watched Inception too many times and decided to rewrite the movie so that Ellen Page hooked up with Leonardo DiCaprio. They both even had the dumb snow sections.