#1 Edited by Mijati (909 posts) -

Hey,

Just noticed Steam downloaded an update for BioShock 2 which seems odd for such an old game. I then right clicked on it and checked my downloadable content and it says I now have Minerva's Den through Steam Store.

I can't see any announcement for it nor is it on the Steam Store Page for BioShock 2 but it looks like all copies of the game on Steam now include the DLC which is fantastic news.

#2 Posted by mikey87144 (1728 posts) -

Checked the Steam forums and looks like you're right. I don't have the game installed but it's nice to know i don't have to re-buy the DLC for PC.

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -

Oh, right on.

#4 Posted by Mijati (909 posts) -

Game is no longer GFWL either. Just opened it and works fine. Also Steam Achievements.

The DLC is NOT free: http://store.steampowered.com/app/244610/ Costs £7.99 so I imagine about $10-$12 or so but it seems people who previously own the game get it for free.

#5 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

also the retail version codes activate on Steam now if you have that version (either to activate on steam or even to give it out as a extra code)

#6 Posted by Mijati (909 posts) -

I hope this is something that happens with all GFWL games, no matter how old.

@rhaknar said:

also the retail version codes activate on Steam now if you have that version (either to activate on steam or even to give it out as a extra code)

I wonder if that means that keys from the GFWL Marketplace work on Steam too?

#7 Edited by Gruebacca (511 posts) -

Oh man! I might give this another playthrough.

For those who just got this for free, you should definitely play this. It's worth all the praise it gets.

#9 Posted by GreggD (4487 posts) -

I was wondering what that 3.3 gig update was for. Figured this was it, but I'm glad I can confirm it.

#10 Posted by Winterstrike (62 posts) -

@greggd said:

I was wondering what that 3.3 gig update was for. Figured this was it, but I'm glad I can confirm it.

I confirm it too. The weird thing it's that I was reinstalling Bioshock and Bioshock in these days. It couldn't be timed better. :)

#11 Posted by L1GHTN1N (448 posts) -

That's amazing! Re-installing now to play through it and possibly Bioshock 2 again.

Also for anyone who didn't already have Bioshock 2 on PC, Steam is having a sale on everything 2K so you can grab it and Minerva's Den for $15 total, though you might want to wait through Sunday and see if they have a Bioshock daily deal that discounts it further (which I'm sure they will, probably for 75% off if past deals are anything to go by).

#12 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

Wow, awesome! Can't wait to try out Minerva's Den.

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

That's a fantastic way to celebrate the death of GFWL !

#14 Posted by BaconGames (3371 posts) -

This went about as well as you could hope. Also it does my heart good that someone might play BioShock 2 proper in light of all this (I will fight all comers, I love that damn game).

#15 Posted by m3ds334 (38 posts) -

Ha, that's fantastic. I had recently installed it to play Minerva's Den, but was saddened when I realized I couldn't buy it because the GFWL store was shut down. This is great news.

#16 Posted by RonGalaxy (3099 posts) -

Steams having a 2k sale this week, so maybe it's supposed to coincide with that. Also, totally gonna pick it up when it goes on sale (it's 50% off now, but will definitely go down more). Always wanted to try minervas den!

#17 Posted by Godmil (146 posts) -

Wait was it not out before? I've slowly been slogging my way through that game just to play Minerva's Den. If this hadn't happened I would have been very disappointed :)

#18 Posted by The_Nubster (2094 posts) -

Well, I don't own Bioshock 2 on Steam, but I guess I'm going to have to now. Easily my favourite game in the -shock series. (Opinions. Fuck me, right?)

#19 Posted by Forcen (1811 posts) -

Games for windows live is gone! Finally. But does the MP work still?

#20 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5141 posts) -

Holy shit, this is amazing.

#21 Edited by Mijati (909 posts) -

@forcen said:

Games for windows live is gone! Finally. But does the MP work still?

There's a separate option when booting the game to go into MP. So I assume so.

All copies of the game come with the map packs. (Not just previously owned ones).

#22 Edited by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

From the Steam news page for Bioshock 2

" If you have already purchased BioShock 2 through a different digital partner, we’ve got you covered. Simply take the same game activation key you already own and “activate” it within Steam. Doing this will grant you access to BioShock 2, all of its multiplayer and Protector Trials DLC, as well as Minerva’s Den – the single player story-driven add-on that includes new weapons, enemies, and plasmids!"

#23 Posted by Encephalon (1241 posts) -

Yay! Re-downloading now!

#24 Posted by Forcen (1811 posts) -

Glad I saw the rumors of this and bought Bioshock 2 on GMG for £2.80 just before the Steam summer sale.

Never expected it to happen this fast though, and including the expansion for free. Damn kind of them.

#25 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

The question is, will other developers follow suit when GFWL shuts down?

#26 Posted by Forcen (1811 posts) -

PSA, if you own the PC version of Bioshock 2 on any other platform besides Steam or on a disc, you should be able to use your game key to activate the game on Steam an maybe get minervas den for free and the game without GFWL and added Steam achievements.

#27 Posted by BisonHero (6432 posts) -

OK, I ended up with Bioshock 2 on Steam like a year ago (bought directly from Steam store).

Do I automatically have Minerva's Den since I owned it prior to today, or are the people "automatically" getting it the people that registered a CD key way back in the day when it came out or something?

#28 Posted by Forcen (1811 posts) -

@bisonhero: You have it, just right click the game in steam and check the DLC list under properties.

#29 Edited by BisonHero (6432 posts) -

@forcen: So I do! Thanks for the tip.

Have they explained the generosity? I assume it has to do with the shutting down of the Games for Windows Live service/store, and maybe there's no good way to transfer records to Steam?

#30 Edited by Forcen (1811 posts) -

@bisonhero: Maybe yeah, but anyone with a game key from the retail version can register it on Steam to. Maybe they want to reward their old purchasers with a freebie, and they cant know who owned the expansion before. Maybe that's what you meant.

#31 Posted by Nictel (2403 posts) -

Maybe it is finally time to play Bioshock 1 till completion then.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -

Oh, did someone say FREE? Bioshock 2 - H9X7Q-KT?P4-TRWQR-M349R-K?WQW

1st Missing Letter = First letter of a Staff Member's Name

2nd Missing Letter = First letter of a character's name in GTA V

#33 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

Oh, did someone say FREE? Bioshock 2 - H9X7Q-KT?P4-TRWQR-M349R-K?WQW

1st Missing Letter = First letter of a Staff Member's Name

2nd Missing Letter = First letter of a character's name in GTA V

Wow, I got it! Thanks a lot, duder!

I think the names were Jeff and... Franklin? But I was trying each GTA V character with each staff member, and going quickly. Again, though, thanks a lot.

#34 Edited by Wuddel (2090 posts) -

Damn it. I'd love to replay Bioshock 2, especially for Minervas Den. I only rented it for the PS3 back then.

#35 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
#36 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4600 posts) -

This is probably a stupid question, but just to clarify: Minerva's Den is available as dlc, not as something that can be bought independent of Bioshock 2, correct?

#37 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

what's this about GFWL shutting down? I'm still playing though Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising which is connected to GFWL and I wasn't quite done with me Batman AA save file either

#38 Posted by GreggD (4487 posts) -

what's this about GFWL shutting down? I'm still playing though Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising which is connected to GFWL and I wasn't quite done with me Batman AA save file either

The Batman games are converting to Steamworks as well, but DoW2 I'm not sure about.

#39 Posted by Aetheldod (3551 posts) -

Well just letting you duders know ... you also can play Xcom for freet till Sunday ... wtf its going on?

#40 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

I remember when Computer Gaming World became Games for Windows: The Official Magazine. It smelled like death.

#41 Edited by ThunderSlash (1674 posts) -

Sweet, maybe now people can play the multiplayer DLC maps. When I played on the PS3, no one would ever play the DLC maps because the matchmaking matches most groups with people that don't have the maps.

#42 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

That explains the 3 gig download today.

Neat.

#43 Posted by chibacityblues (52 posts) -

Neat! Props to 2k. Strange handling on Steam: when I go to Minerva's Den store page, it is still buyable. In the DLC tab of the game it's listed as owned though..

#44 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Oh wow. In case anyone is as unaware as I was, just wanted to point out that with this update also came gamepad support! Finally, I can play BioShock 2.