#1 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

So I finished Infinite after the release and loved the hell out of it. I kind of have a philosophy to get full achievements on my favorite of favorites so I started the game again on 1999 mode. I've done some google searches to try and understand what's different about it. I finished the game on hard anyway, it seems the hp goes down a little faster(maybe) and you don't have the navigation stuff but it seems like Levine was advertising is as being very different than the other mode, like less equipment and such but I don't find that to be the case at all, also something about having to specialize? but still seems off to me, i'm still using random guns and i'm about half way through the game.

On a side note, there's some interesting choices that come back, for instance if you don't stone the couple(in the beginning) they come back and reward you later on. But I didn't notice a difference if you do stone them anybody know?

Also that part where you first encounter people with Elizabeth and you have the choice of pulling out your gun or yelling and you get stabbed and have the bandage on your hand for the rest of the game, does it have any other consequences?

What other choices are there in the game that impact outcomes?

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

At the second one I did nothing and got the same result.

#3 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -
#4 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14830 posts) -

I'm starting on 1999 mode so its been interesting. Also attempting to not use any Vending Machines as there is a trophy for beating 1999 without using any Vending Machines. Should be interesting.

#6 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

I'm starting on 1999 mode so its been interesting. Also attempting to not use any Vending Machines as there is a trophy for beating 1999 without using any Vending Machines. Should be interesting.

yeah but I finished the game the first time without ever using those anyway so its not a big deal really. I think there's more than enough resources to go around.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

yeah but I finished the game the first time without ever using those anyway so its not a big deal really. I think there's more than enough resources to go around.

Is it ALL vending machines or just the Dollar bills?

#8 Posted by Forderz (247 posts) -

@the_laughing_man:

Just the dollar bills.

Also: fuck the graveyard fight. trapped in a limited area with finite ammo... and half the weapons on the ground are worthless

#9 Posted by crimson26 (49 posts) -

Dollar bills are ones that sell ammo and hp and that sort thing correct? I never used them once on normal lol pretty easy to get health and salt around you for free.

#10 Posted by The_Reflection (249 posts) -

yeah but in 1999 mode, that stuff around you is much more scarce.

#11 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

So I finished Infinite after the release and loved the hell out of it. I kind of have a philosophy to get full achievements on my favorite of favorites so I started the game again on 1999 mode. I've done some google searches to try and understand what's different about it. I finished the game on hard anyway, it seems the hp goes down a little faster(maybe) and you don't have the navigation stuff but it seems like Levine was advertising is as being very different than the other mode, like less equipment and such but I don't find that to be the case at all, also something about having to specialize? but still seems off to me, i'm still using random guns and i'm about half way through the game.

Have fun in the back half of the game but watch that step-up in difficulty, it's a doozy!

1999 mode is supposed to make ammo and salts more scarce, makes enemies tougher and makes you more squishy. I think that's pretty much the extent of it? That and the death thing.

#12 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

@rebgav: ooh I didn't know that, does this happen on other difficulties? if you die and don't have money is it gg 4ever?

#13 Posted by PCWV (105 posts) -

@gamefreak9: I hope so, that would be crazy if they made you start from the beginning.

#14 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@rebgav: ooh I didn't know that, does this happen on other difficulties? if you die and don't have money is it gg 4ever?

I don't know, it's not my screencap :p I think it's straight-up over if you can't afford to rez.

#15 Edited by gike987 (1754 posts) -

No only in 1999 mode. If you die without money you have to reload the last checkpoint instead of respawning.

#16 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@gike987 said:
@gamefreak9 said:

No only in 1999 mode. If you die without money you have to reload the last checkpoint instead of respawning.

Wow, that's barely a hinderence. I think I'd prefer starting at a checkpoint rather than the game mugging me when I die.

#17 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

If you yell at the ticket guy, he stabs you in the hand and Elizabeth later wraps up the wound for you. If you pull your gun out, he shuts the blind and there's a firefight, just like if you gotten stabbed. Elizabeth still offers to patch you up later, but she doesn't wrap up your hand and the wound isn't there as far as I can tell. I enjoy little things like that.

#18 Posted by oraknabo (1462 posts) -

Does this have anything to do with 1999 mode? I have the first upgrade on possession and whenever I take over a turret it switches back in about 20 seconds. I can barely run past it without it starting to shoot me again. The power is totally useless to me like this. Does this happen at any difficulty level and I just need to get another upgrade or what? Also some turrets seem to be able to be destroyed with a fireball and a few shots and others take all by salt in fireballs and like 50 bullets. Are the stats on these things totally randomized in this mode?

I also don't understand why, if I accept a respawn, it drops me right in the middle of the battlefield surrounded by enemies with a turret right behind me. I know this mode is supposed to be challenging, but this is kind of dumb.

I guess I'm just going to have to start over on normal, because I'm really not enjoying the combat like this very much.

#19 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

@forderz said:

@the_laughing_man:

Just the dollar bills.

Also: fuck the graveyard fight. trapped in a limited area with finite ammo... and half the weapons on the ground are worthless

This, happened to me on a hard playthrough. Got the boss down to a sliver of life with a chain gun, got resurrected and the boss was back at half health with little to no ammo around. Best to start from a checkpoint if this happens, but you have to go through the scripted story event beforehand.

I eventually just gave up and went down to medium. I'm not an achievement hunter anyways.

#20 Edited by laigerzero (6 posts) -

Btw if you attempt to throw the ball at the couple, instead of a couple giving you a gear item out of gratitude later on, Fink's assistant will gift you one due to Fink's admiration at your "savagery".

#21 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

I wish there was a new game + option. The upgrades are really rather expensive, which is fine, but I'd be more inclined to play through again on hard if I could keep my upgrades, then go into 1999 a power house.

Disable achievements if this is going against the spirit of "hard", but it would be a nice option.

#22 Edited by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I considered doing a 1999 run, but quite frankly fighting Handymans or the graveyard fight wasn't fun on normal (and I don't mean they were too hard, I just mean they weren't interesting) so I can't imagine gaining a lot of satisfaction fighting much stronger versions of them with a much weaker version of myself

#23 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

I considered doing a 1999 run, but quite frankly fighting Handymans or the graveyard fight wasn't fun on normal (and I don't mean they were too hard, I just mean they weren't interesting) so I can't imagine gaining a lot of satisfaction fighting much stronger versions of them with a much weaker version of myself

Yeah man, fuck the handymen hated those..

#24 Posted by MrMazz (979 posts) -

So wait there isn't a NewGame+ mode? I'd really want to play 1999 or on Hard but with all the stuff already upgraded.

#25 Posted by Veektarius (4833 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@gike987 said:
@gamefreak9 said:

Wow, that's barely a hinderence. I think I'd prefer starting at a checkpoint rather than the game mugging me when I die.

Yeah, I definitely would I was helping the vox storm the factory and I had to take down that Zeppelin. I beat it but couldn't figure out how to get off. So I died and then it resurrected me back on the ground with the Zeppelin destroyed. "That was amazing!" said Elizabeth. "Not so much," said I. And a couple of the harder boss fights I've ended up brute-forcing with $0 as well. it feels terrible. Makes me think about playing on normal just so I don't feel so shitty about the way I beat some portions of the game.

#26 Posted by SilentPredator (132 posts) -

@laigerzero: I didn't know this was a thing. When I got to that part, I didn't throw it at all. I roleplayed it as Booker being disgusted by the whole thing and not playing along as the way to "win".

#27 Edited by Nodima (1203 posts) -

I had that happen to me on the zeppelin on normal as well. It was really jarring, I thought I'd died for sure.

I also REALLY wish there was a New Game Plus, partially so I could keep all the upgrades I'd unlocked but also because by the end of the game I felt like I was still just getting to know the combo stuff. I'm so bad at FPS gameplay that I wasn't juggling the powers at ALL, and I feel like I missed out on a lot of the game by not using vigor combos more often.

I was also FULLY stoked to start a second game immediately after the first play ended, but since there's no New Game Plus I kind of keep getting sidetracked after 10 or 15 minutes since the only real novelty is finding the kinetoscopes and voxophones I missed the first time and picking up on the story beats that went over my head the first time because I was so wrapped up in "that's new that's new that's new that's REALLY new".

#28 Posted by ripelivejam (3962 posts) -

@forderz said:

@the_laughing_man:

Just the dollar bills.

graveyard fight was the only time i felt a modicum of rage towards this game. (hated myself even more when i realized difficulty was at Medium when i thought it was High. :( i know i suck horribly)

#29 Posted by Pudge (886 posts) -

I'm just curious, but at the very beginning of the game, when you flip a coin, you're always supposed to pick heads right? I watched my friend play through that on my account after I finished the game and he picked Tails instead, and there was different dialogue.

#30 Posted by Atwa (620 posts) -

I really don't understand, all this talk of 1999 and all it is if you die you get thrown back to the main menu and have to load latest checkpoint. So much talk for nothing really,.

@pudge said:

I'm just curious, but at the very beginning of the game, when you flip a coin, you're always supposed to pick heads right? I watched my friend play through that on my account after I finished the game and he picked Tails instead, and there was different dialogue.

Uhm, no you don't pick. He says heads automatically.

#31 Posted by Pudge (886 posts) -

@atwa: No what I'm saying is that when I played through it, he said Heads. Then I let my friend play the game on my account (so it's the "second playthrough" on my account) and he said Tails, and the interaction was slightly different. I was wondering if that happened every time.

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@pudge said:

@atwa: No what I'm saying is that when I played through it, he said Heads. Then I let my friend play the game on my account (so it's the "second playthrough" on my account) and he said Tails, and the interaction was slightly different. I was wondering if that happened every time.

My guy picked tails the first time through the game, I just thought that was how it went down.

#33 Posted by Ghostiet (5272 posts) -

Is the Graveyard fight really that tough above medium? I managed quite easily by utilizing Bucking Bronco and a Devil's Kiss to take care of the undead and then screwing her up with Charge. The explosive upgrade to Charge works wonders, really.

I'm thinking of a 1999 playthrough, but damn, the last few levels of the game are really, really tiring. Not hard, really, but the BioShock games really have a problem with padding - all three have a section where you are given relative free reign, then you find a scripted event and you have to walk around once again to collect shit.

#34 Edited by gike987 (1754 posts) -

@pudge said:

I think it's random, I have played through the beginning three times. The first two times he said tails and the third time he said heads.