#1 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

Hey guys, I just got done with the game and am currently planning another playthrough on hard +1999 Mode and I want to finish collecting all the audio logs (and the video stuff as well). Do the ones I've already done still appear or does it make my life a bit easier and remove the ones I've already got from the game? Thanks!

#2 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

Also, how does my upgrades and stuff work? New game + essentially, is that a thing? Thanks!

#3 Posted by EXTomar (4626 posts) -

I'm doing this as well. When you start over in 1999 Mode, you start an entirely new game instead of a "new game+". Voxaphones you already encountered are still there and can be picked up and played again along with newly discovered ones. At least on PC/Steam, you get feedback on progress you pick up a new voxaphone, vidscope (whatever they are called), or telescope.

#4 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2230 posts) -

I think I remember reading that nothing carries over in 1999 mode from other play throughs.

#5 Edited by Zereta (1365 posts) -

If I go back into the load chapters part of the game and look for remaining stuff in there first? That should be fine, right?

#6 Edited by WalkerTR77 (1355 posts) -

Nothing carries into 1999, but I did notice achievement progress updates if I found a collectible I didn't have - so I suppose the game remembers these to some extent. Not sure if you could just load saves, grab the voxophones and jump around like that to get them all.

#7 Edited by HarlechQuinn (447 posts) -

Loading the specific chapter where I missed one voxaphone and pick it up did not work for me.

Later when I started my 1999 run I got the Voxaphone achievement after picking up some voxaphones, strangely enough I got it for a voxaphone which I already got during the first playthrough, but I won't complain... Maybe this is related to their strange checkpoint/auto save system, but I am not really sure.

I am now collecting the all the Kinectoscopes and telescopes and at least there the progress feedback only pop up when I am collecting the ones I missed during the first run... So it seems that your collectibles progress (besides Infusions, but there it is specifically stated that you need to collect them all in one walkthrough) seem to carry over in 1999 mode, although the voxaphone one seemed to be slightly glitchy for me.

P. S. Playing the PC/Steam version.

#8 Edited by Nodima (1155 posts) -

Nothing carries into any New Game, thus you will be playing a new game every time. Above posters keep mentioning 1999 mode, so I think it's important to emphasize this is the case no matter which mode or difficulty you play on. The world will completely reset, as well as your character, every time.

When you do an activity you'd done before, you won't get that loud tone and gear turn accompanied by a graphic letting you know your progress on Eavesdropper on Sightseer. Otherwise, there's no indication you've received a new voxophone or kinetoscope. The tone and graphic will only display when you've found a new one...this makes a scavenger's second playthrough fairly tiring, as you only have say 15 voxophones and eight Sightseers to go but there's an entire world out there in front of you.

The whole new game situation is kind of a shame. I've only played a couple hours each of the first two Bioshocks, so I don't know if this was ever the case, but this game seems begging for a New Game +. Absolutely begging.

#9 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The only thing that carries over is progress in collecting stuff. No upgrades or money is kept or even the previous voxaphones.

#10 Edited by CommonReason (109 posts) -

I was wondering this as well. It appears I will probably just have to play through on easy for a third time with a guide close in had. I only missed about 8 Voxaphones and 6 or so of the Sightseer objects.

#11 Edited by djou (872 posts) -

I suspected this was the case but I hope a patch is in the works to somehow fix this, either by adding a new game+ or offering a clearer indication of which collectibles were missed. The voxaphones are such a vital part of the story that there is a lot of incentive to find them all but the game certainly doesn't make it easy.

#12 Posted by WulfBane (190 posts) -

It should be noted that at least for Eavesdropper, before you start your new game you can look into your logs and you can see all the Voxiphones you picked up for that run. Then you can look up on a FAQ and identify the ones you missed (at least with respect to that run).

There isn't any sort of log for the Telescopes & Kinetoscopes, but at least there are only 37 of those. I may be wrong, but there is one particular telescope that I thought I had in my first run, but didn't get credit until my third "just finish collectables" run.

It was the one on the "Factory" stage where you first fight the Vox Populi when Fitzroy turns on you and sends her guys, including a handyman. The telescope is near where you can tear in a Tesla Coil. I think before I looked at it before I triggered the fight but you may only get credit if you use it AFTER the fight because it seems to be pointing at a building that ends up either burning or at least covered in red Vox Populi banners.

#13 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

@extomar: @harlechquinn: Console versions track progress also. Albeit through the game though, since it has a tracking system.

@zereta: I highly doubt going through chapter select and getting the remaining collectables will work.

#14 Posted by JadeGL (810 posts) -

I used chapter select after I finished the game and was able to get the achievement for the voxophones.

I was not able to do so for the Kinetiscopes + telescopes. I am pretty sure I did all of those too, so I figure that one may not work.

But like I said, I had no issue going in the chapters and having the voxophones count correctly. I am on the Xbox version if that's at all helpful to the conversation.

Moderator Online
#15 Edited by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

This game would have benefitted from some sort of tracker on the chapter select screen. Like saying 1/3 voxophones collected on this level.

#16 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

This game would have benefitted from some sort of tracker on the chapter select screen. Like saying 1/3 voxophones collected on this level.

Or just your way point button leading you to the voxaphones on the 2nd playthrough, so much story beats hidden in those things.

#17 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

Of all the things that this game does so well, thats kind of a bummer. But already started a 1999 playthrough. Will load up the last save from my previous playthrough and check up on the logs I already have. Bummer about the Kinetoscopes though, those are the worst to find by far.

#18 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I finished my 2nd playthrough this evening on 1999 mode and get all of the collectibles I missed. I used the guide located here. It's got a checklist so I loaded it up on my phone and checked each voxaphone off as I found them. That made it really easy to make sure I got everything. If you're doing it because you want to wring out each and every bit of the story you might as well just get all voxaphones again because after knowing the ending and everything that happens some of them take on new meaning. My 1999 run ended up taking less time than my normal run even though I got each and every collectible and died more.

#19 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

@louiedog said:

I finished my 2nd playthrough this evening on 1999 mode and get all of the collectibles I missed. I used the guide located here. It's got a checklist so I loaded it up on my phone and checked each voxaphone off as I found them. That made it really easy to make sure I got everything. If you're doing it because you want to wring out each and every bit of the story you might as well just get all voxaphones again because after knowing the ending and everything that happens some of them take on new meaning. My 1999 run ended up taking less time than my normal run even though I got each and every collectible and died more.

That is fantastic actually! Thanks!