• 105 results
Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alexandru

I was reading up on Bioshock Infinite, and it crossed my mind that despite looking really good it might not sell. I know Bioshock 1 did pretty good, but that was at the beggining of a generation. If you look now, most games don't sell that good anymore. I know some people may say that Bioshock is a known name, but Bioshock 2 didn't do so hot.

Do you think good reviews will be enough to make Bioshock Infinite sell? Bioshock 2 had a decent marketing campaign and it didnt help (although it was profitable still)..

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SharkEthic

Infinite will outsell 1, and I base that on not a goddamn thing.

Edit: Oh, and you can quote me on that.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

Don't forget this time around the PS3 version is out the same day with the other version. Yes it will sell.  

@SharkEthic

said:

Edit: Oh, and you can quote me on that.

Agree.  

EDIT: Why is this in the Off Topic?
LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LikeaSsur

There's been a ton of press about it, not to mention it looks fantastic.

It'll be fine.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

@SharkEthic said:

Oh, and you can quote me on that.

Will do.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaLe

It will be profitable, meaning their next title might be required to say BioShock in the title. Who knows, maybe a new generation of hardware will free them to do something completely new.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011

I asked my friend if he was going to buy Bioshock Infinite, and he said no, i'm also not going to buy it. So if you extrapolate that data this game won't sell a single copy.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

It'll sell, it's hyped to be amazing. Unless something catastrophic happens, or there are game breaking bugs, I think it will sell very well.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates

BioShock Infinite's first month will almost certainly be better than BioShock's. The original only sold 490,000, according to NPD charts. To those who are unfamiliar with the rough chronology of shooters in '07, BioShock was overshadowed by Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4, which has brought in a huuuuuge wave of players, many of which have expanded into other games as well.

Will it sell more than the 4 million plus copies BioShock eventually sold? Hard to say. It is the end of a console generation; that cuts some of the "evergreen" status on the game. But I imagine it'll sell very well. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell two million in the first month in this post-Call of Duty/Skyrim world.

They've certainly sold me a copy, anyways.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

Bioshock 2 was an unnecessary follow up to a great game. It was also made by a different developer, so the fans didn't really care. 

This one is a prequel, not that that really means much but it's being made by the original BioShock developer and they are trying something new with it.  

I don't know, can never tell with these things anymore, but it might be fine. Can only wait and see.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck

No it won't sell a single copy ever.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
@CornBREDX: Don't forget that they devoted resourced to a MP mode that's pretty much dead now.Could have used those resourced to make SP better. I think the major problem with the second game is that it blew it's load way to quickly. Not to mention that the story didn't make any sort of goddamn sense. 
impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By impartialgecko

Like hot cakes. Even my Call of Duty playing friends know the name Bioshock, enough people know that a new Bioshock is a big deal and they should probably check it out.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Little_Socrates

@mordukai said:

@CornBREDX: Don't forget that they devoted resourced to a MP mode that's pretty much dead now.Could have used those resourced to make SP better.

You do know that both developers and press members (i.e. people close to the process) have both completely disavowed this idea and urge us to never say this nonsense again, right? It's a completely different skill set, and the people in charge wouldn't have changed, so what possible resources could've been used in this case? They don't need more artists/sound designers/programmers because that's not what's wrong with the game. The problem is conceptual, meaning it lies with people who would've been in charge of the project regardless. Unless you're saying BioShock 2 just should've been made by Levine/Kojima/Completely Different People, in which case yes, BioShock 2 would've been a better game if it'd been a completely different (and, perhaps more importantly, better) game.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ExplodeMode

Keep in mind that 2 sold less than 1 and launched on more platforms to bigger a installed audience. We know Irrational didn't make it, but does the average person know that or care?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer

Is there still hype for this game? I feel like the excitement for this game peaked around a year-and-a-half ago and has gradually dwindled to cautious skepticism.

Avatar image for johnstonthistle
JohnstonThistle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnstonThistle

@CornBREDX said:

Bioshock 2 was an unnecessary follow up to a great game. It was also made by a different developer, so the fans didn't really care. This one is a prequel, not that that really means much but it's being made by the original BioShock developer and they are trying something new with it. I don't know, can never tell with these things anymore, but it might be fine. Can only wait and see.

I have to disagree on "the fans didn't really care". BioShock 2 was made by a different dev and hardly a necessary sequel (especially considering they set it in Rapture all over again and very little changed) but frankly I enjoyed that game more than the first and have replayed it several times. In fact I'd challenge anyone to mount a definitive argument against it being a far better game than the original. It played better, looked better, had a fantastic story and I know I'm not the only one who loved to wander around Rapture again and see another of its stories. Not to mention the MP was pretty darn fun if a bit silly and the DLC support for that game was outstanding too. I hate seeing BioShock 2 get a bad rap just because it was "more of the same" and "unnecessary", it was still brilliant and had it been released alone would've been seen in a far more positive light. At least that's what I think.

On the topic, nah course not, nobody buys good video games these days.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cornbredx
@mordukai: Ya, I don't think making a multiplayer component had anything to do with the problems with BioShock 2. 

The game play was improved (I would argue it didn't need to be but whatever) and the multiplayer worked fine for what it was. 

It was an unnecessary game with major design flaws and a stupid story.  Pretty much an attempted cash in for a game that didn't set itself up for that.

Although, I hear Minerva's Den was good (since I only rented BioShock 2 at the time I wouldn't know).
Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stete

Yes, it will.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

I really liked that recent trailer mostly cause the song was cool, but at the end of the day it looks like more Bioshock and apart from the story I didn't care too much for the way Bioshock 1 actually played.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaggE

@JohnstonThistle: I'm with you on that. BioShock 2 was awesome. I prefer the first game's story and characters, but the sequel was no quick cash-in.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By BaneFireLord

I know I'm buying it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai
@Little_Socrates said:

@mordukai said:

@CornBREDX: Don't forget that they devoted resourced to a MP mode that's pretty much dead now.Could have used those resourced to make SP better.

You do know that both developers and press members (i.e. people close to the process) have both completely disavowed this idea and urge us to never say this nonsense again, right? It's a completely different skill set, and the people in charge wouldn't have changed, so what possible resources could've been used in this case? They don't need more artists/sound designers/programmers because that's not what's wrong with the game. The problem is conceptual, meaning it lies with people who would've been in charge of the project regardless. Unless you're saying BioShock 2 just should've been made by Levine/Kojima/Completely Different People, in which case yes, BioShock 2 would've been a better game if it'd been a completely different (and, perhaps more importantly, better) game.

None the less, money and manpower went towards that feature. You say those resources could have been used for anything else? 
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cornbredx
@JohnstonThistle: They didn't. 

I used the word fans in it's truest form- to mean fanatics. Those with a fanatical love for Bioshock (probably including me). They didn't buy the game. That's not to say those that enjoyed Bioshock didn't buy Bioshock 2 or that fanatics didn't rent Bioshock 2 to see if it was actual any good (it wasn't). 

The story was garbage. Playing a big daddy was the dumbest idea ever. While neat on paper, no I don't want to protect little sisters and fight an absurd new enemy. 

As for the game play being improved, while that is true (using the drill did make the game play better because I didn't have to aim much and everything died a lot), I would argue it was never intended to be better. The first Bioshock is a horror game. You are supposed to be weak. Ya, it has a level up type system with plasmids and what not and some would argue you only need a few plasmids until any others are pointless (although I've played Bioshock several times and I have found many different sets of plasmids that work great). It's kind of designed to play how you want and it worked fine while retaining the creepiness as you never really get to powerful. Bioshock 2 just made it easier. I understand why some would prefer that but that completely misses the point. 

This of course goes back to the difficulties in designing a horror game. Bioshock 2 isn't a horror game.  

I guess it's good though for people who prefer power fantasy over it being scary- understanding that at a certain point in Bioshock 1 if you happen to have played it a certain way it can be pretty easy but I would wager it was still harder than Bioshock 2 and Bioshock was also scary.  

Just to get ahead of the obvious, I am aware System Shock was better and it was already done before =P
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Little_Socrates

@mordukai said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@mordukai said:

None the less, money and manpower went towards that feature. You say those resources could have been used for anything else?

Most likely, they'd just go toward more QA, a couple more setpieces, and other games. The people employed for multiplayer would probably have been working on another title, at least. That said, BioShock 2 is still 2K, and Spec Ops: The Line was already in development, so they could have worked on that multiplayer and it might have been similarly ancillary rather than almost-garbage.

I don't think throwing more people at BioShock 2 would've possibly made that game more interesting. I just think BioShock 2 is an incredibly well-constructed pile of boring ideas, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of story. It's not like the completely-absurd flaws that sink a game like Fable III or Too Human, it's more the absolutely-dull elements that make a game like Medal of Honor: Warfighter so boring.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

Right now, to be honest, I don't care. As long as the game is good, that's a start. In time if it doesn't sell well, and I love it, then I'll be disappointed, but for now, I don't care.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Alexandru said:

I was reading up on Bioshock Infinite, and it crossed my mind that despite looking really good it might not sell. I know Bioshock 1 did pretty good, but that was at the beggining of a generation. If you look now, most games don't sell that good anymore. I know some people may say that Bioshock is a known name, but Bioshock 2 didn't do so hot.

Do you think good reviews will be enough to make Bioshock Infinite sell? Bioshock 2 had a decent marketing campaign and it didnt help (although it was profitable still)..

Bioshock 2 read like a joke in pre-release announcements and media hype.

It was like the publisher wanted a repeat of the hit that was bioshock and just demanded more of everything.

Seriously, like : "You can go outside Rapture! You can BE a big daddy! Introducing the Little Sister!" It was like bad fan fiction.

I didn't play Bioshock 2. I do want to play Infinite.

So... Ancedotally, it will sell.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jack268

It looks pretty great in most regards except the box art.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By monkeyking1969

Will it sell?  Sure, it will sell better than the prior games.  But, will it sell as well as it could have sold?  Nope, no way in hell, will it sell as well as it could have last year.  There was a huge amount of hype around the game three years ago, and even two years ago or even at the last e3.  But, now people have burned out their energy on this game.  Irrational Games kept showing this game for the last three e3s, and while the game media cares they  I don't think the energy for this game anymore.

This is not about can it sell or the game being good; it will sell...it will probably be good...but the hype train for this game ran out of coal a year ago.  

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#30  Edited By Svenzon

It probably will.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mtcantor

It's going to do very well.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By JasonR86

Maybe? I mean it depends on what is being released around it, how well it is marketed, and what people's wallets look like at that time.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Zippedbinders

@CornBREDX said:

The first Bioshock is a horror game.
No Caption Provided
Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#34  Edited By Mnemoidian

@StarvingGamer said:

Is there still hype for this game? I feel like the excitement for this game peaked around a year-and-a-half ago and has gradually dwindled to cautious skepticism.

Yeah... I really dislike the extreme amounts of hype publishers drum up for some games ~6 months before (they think that) the game will be out. Makes situations like this super-awkward. Either way, I hope it's a good game.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alexandru

@Mnemoidian said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Yeah... I really dislike the extreme amounts of hype publishers drum up for some games ~6 months before (they think that) the game will be out. Makes situations like this super-awkward. Either way, I hope it's a good game.

Thats where 2k should come in. Its the marketing team's job to create hype. We better see that next year. From what i saw of that game, it doesn't look cheap. 400k like the first one would be a disaster.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#36  Edited By BeachThunder

@mordukai said:

Why is this in the Off Topic?

This is a relationship advice website, so threads about video games are off topic.

On a related note, I wouldn't date Elizabeth - she kinda freaks me out...

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By prestonhedges

Nope. Next question.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By Alphazero

@Azteck said:

But... but... I already paid for it! WHY WON'T THEY SEND IT TO ME AZTECK??!?

Worst. Q1. Ever.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Azteck

@Alphazero said:

@Azteck said:

But... but... I already paid for it! WHY WON'T THEY SEND IT TO ME AZTECK??!?

Worst. Q1. Ever.

Sorry man, the post man will probably just burn the package on your porch.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rafaelfc

EVERYONE will buy it, all wars will end, people will praise Ken Levine as their true leader and Bioshock will become the new Call Of Duty.

We will have Bioshock cafes, bioshock parties, it will be the craziest most intense consumer fever to ever sweep an entire planet, even alien lifeforms will contact earth in peace to check Bioshock out.

.... Or it will sell decently well and everyone will go on with their lives

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By veektarius

I think people might be underestimating the problems suggested by this game's repeated delays. ON the one hand, it's good that it's getting the dev time that it needs. On the other hand, this is a game that looks ambitious beyond any AAA title that's ever been released in its attempts to create a word that has events that appear scripted while actually being procedural, and in affording the player options that allow him freedom without being cripplingly vast. I'm not saying this game will be bad, but if it is, I won't be totally shocked. It's not as if Bioshock really did anything so innovative that we can be certain Infinite will do the same.

On the other hand, Bioshock is one of those games that penetrated that second 'tier' of gamers that generally only follow high profile releases, I think. It definitely has a lot of eyes on it.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mtcantor

@Veektarius said:

I think people might be underestimating the problems suggested by this game's repeated delays. ON the one hand, it's good that it's getting the dev time that it needs. On the other hand, this is a game that looks ambitious beyond any AAA title that's ever been released in its attempts to create a word that has events that appear scripted while actually being procedural, and in affording the player options that allow him freedom without being cripplingly vast. I'm not saying this game will be bad, but if it is, I won't be totally shocked. It's not as if Bioshock really did anything so innovative that we can be certain Infinite will do the same.

On the other hand, Bioshock is one of those games that penetrated that second 'tier' of gamers that generally only follow high profile releases, I think. It definitely has a lot of eyes on it.

I suspect the game will be very good.

I also suspect it will be FAR more scripted than what people think.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By The_Nubster
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By dichemstys

I'm pretty confident it will.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Milkman

It'll sell just fine. People know the name BioShock.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dungbootle

yes

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By captain_clayman

@ExplodeMode said:

Keep in mind that 2 sold less than 1 and launched on more platforms to bigger a installed audience. We know Irrational didn't make it, but does the average person know that or care?

They seemed to. There was very little hype or coverage of Bioshock 2, relative to Bioshock 1. A lot of the people that didn't appreciate the deeper stuff in Bioshock probably weren't interested in the sequel anyways.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By nerdsbeware

When I first heard about it, I brushed it off and say BAH. But the more I watched, read and heard about it, the more I actually got excited for it. Now it's one of my most anticipated games for early 2013. I assume other people might have felt the same, so yea, I think it has potential to do some decent numbers.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Bioshock 2 built up some negative by being a sequel most people thought was unnecessary, being developed by people not Irrational and by adding MP that most people thought it didn't need. I thought the game was pretty great but it had a lot working against it.

Infinite is gonna be juuust fine. It looks amazing, it's getting good hype and it's Irrational. That game is gonna sell.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green

yeah, i think so. i am going to buy the game.