• 53 results
Posted by AcidBrandon18 (652 posts) 1 year, 15 days ago

Would you want to live in Columbia? (115 votes)

Yes 17%
No 83%

I'm curious as to whether you guys would want to live in Columbia. Obviously before the whole ethnic uprising and whatnot. The idea of living in the clouds seems pretty cool and an all white utopia has its appeal. Thoughts? I'm probably a racist.

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

No :( Both Columbia and Rapture seem kind of frightening.

Wait, do we get to respawn if we fall off the edge?

#2 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1681 posts) -

I didn't think it was possible, but Columbia is somehow an even dumber idea than Rapture. At least the surface dwellers didn't have to worry about a goddamn city falling out of the sky on them if something went wrong in Rapture.

#3 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (652 posts) -

@beachthunder: Yes. I think. Lets just say yeah, you would respawn.

#4 Posted by Jay_Ray (1009 posts) -

I'd live in non fucked up versions of Columbia and Rapture. But if they are like what we see in the games then no.

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

"I'm probably racist"

hahahaha at least you know.

#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Yes, thats if it didn't have the rampant racism.

#7 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I love this poll. "Hey, I'm racist. How about you?"

#8 Edited by Jay_Ray (1009 posts) -

@soldierg654342 said:

I didn't think it was possible, but Columbia is somehow an even dumber idea than Rapture. At least the surface dwellers didn't have to worry about a goddamn city falling out of the sky on them if something went wrong in Rapture.

That's kinda the point, the people of Columbia think they are so much better than the surface folk that they should live like gods above them. Columbia does not care about the surface people killed in a potential crash involving Columbia, they only care about Columbia and their residents.

Columbia is the 1% of the 1%.

#9 Posted by StarvingGamer (7566 posts) -

"...an all white utopia has its appeal."

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!?

#10 Posted by Dalai (6880 posts) -

It's probably cold up in the clouds. No thanks.

Although I like the old-timey style of Columbia. I can live in a terra firma version of Columbia. Without the racism, obviously.

#11 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

There is already such place, it's called Western Europe. Let's not muddy things up however. I can't possibly live there because of my ethnicity.

#12 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

It would probably be boring as hell.

So no.

#13 Edited by believer258 (11047 posts) -

If they were well-functioning societies, then I would visit like a tourist. I would not live there, though. Sure, the idea is cool, but if you're living in Rapture or Columbia and you decide to take a road trip or something, you can't *just* hop in the car and go. I just don't think there would be much to do in either place once you get used to the novelty of being in a city under the sea or in the sky.

EDIT: Also, both places are probably fucking cold, all of the time, and you get absolutely no sunlight in Rapture.

#15 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

@starvinggamer: I'm joking. Well not really. I'm against racism and prejudiced and feel everyone should be treated equally, but if I had the opportunity to live among only white people I probably would.

What is the redeeming quality of an all-white community? I'm pretty sure 90% of people who lived their lives in all-white communities in USA are the ones supporting aggression on Iran. Not being exposed to other races inevitably leads to prejudice and bigotry.

#16 Edited by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

No. It's fucked up there.

#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Rapture seems like it was a legitimately interesting place to live in before it all went to shit.

Columbia on the other hand was always full of angry white people being angry.

#19 Edited by Aurelito (721 posts) -

@aurelito: I guess what I mean to say is an all wealthy community. I deal with a considerable amount of ghetto people due to work and they are the worst. If I could be away from them that would be fantastic. So I guess really I just want to be apart of the 1%.

Last time I said things that deemed offensive to a certain ethnic group, my karma cooldown took nearly six months.

This is not Reddit, people don't take sarcasm kindly (assuming that you aren't serious. There are plenty of rich people in the US who are black).

#20 Posted by StarvingGamer (7566 posts) -

@starvinggamer: I'm joking. Well not really. I'm against racism and prejudiced and feel everyone should be treated equally, but if I had the opportunity to live among only white people I probably would.

OH MY GOD I AM SLAMMING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL RIGHT NOW WHAT IS THIS

#21 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (652 posts) -

@aurelito: I'm well aware of wealthy minorities. I'm talking about ghetto people as a whole. Not solely African Americans. I feel that ghetto people, regardless of their race, are the worst and if I was given the opportunity to never come into contact with them I would take it in a heartbeat.

#22 Edited by Aurelito (721 posts) -

@aurelito: I'm well aware of wealthy minorities. I'm talking about ghetto people as a whole. Not solely African Americans. I feel that ghetto people, regardless of their race, are the worst and if I was given the opportunity to never come into contact with them I would take it in a heartbeat.

Those goddamn ghetto people, why do they choose to live in slums? Why don't they live in the suburbs like the normal folk!

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (13871 posts) -

Fuck no.

#24 Edited by darkvare (743 posts) -

no the thines of the air would have you in a constant state of lightheadedness if not constant fainting

#25 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

I haven't played but based on what I have heard it doesn't sound too pleasant for people like me who are not WASP's.

#26 Edited by McGhee (6091 posts) -

@acidbrandon18: At this point I'm trying to figure out if you're playing a character and trolling or if you really are this stupid.

#27 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -

I'm black.

So, no.

Well, I guess, even if I wasn't though, unless I was a racist, religious fanatic, it wouldn't sound too appealing anyway.

#28 Posted by Pr1mus (3520 posts) -

I haven't played it yet but from everything i've seen it seems to me like any reasonable and decent human being wouldn't want to live in a place like Columbia.

#29 Posted by mlarrabee (2760 posts) -

Would I want to live in a cloud city where everyone calls each other "friend"? Absolutely.

Would I want to live in a cloud city where everyone calls each other "friend," there is racial segregation and discrimination, everyone adheres to the ideologies of a single man, and people blithely follow a manufactured religion, like in Colombia? Absolutely not.

#30 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

I'd totally live in a city in the sky. I wouldn't live in Columbia. Bit too religious/racist/crazy revolutionary-filled for my tastes.

#31 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Wait no, even without the racism. I am afraid of heights.

#32 Edited by Mezmero (1646 posts) -

I'm a minority even among minorities so hell no.

#33 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Be Hitler!

#34 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I think the racial and class segregation along with the cult of the Prophet are real dealbreakers

#35 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (241 posts) -

I'm black, so no. Have fun.

#36 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

I'd live in a flying city with crazy advanced technology any day... except without all that racism, exploitation and crazy religion

#37 Posted by Hawkerace (260 posts) -

Free cotton candy, twirly mustaches and white people being obnoxiously racist and somewhat ironically ignorant? Hell yeah mother fucker - I'll be as fly as the Luteces and probably help invent some sort of vigor music player, so we can have Columbia's gayest quartet mobile and in your palm. Plus those silver dollars would markup so damn high in the coming decades, if I manage to survive the vox populi, the changing dimensions and every single thing ever exploding around me - I'll be good. Then in 40 years make my way down to Rapture. Cryogenic freeze myself with whatever super wizard powers I could muster and prep myself to become an AI for a naval vessel in the far flung future for some System Shock experiences.

#38 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4671 posts) -

If the citizens were replaced with non-racist people and all the propaganda shit were removed, then yes, I would live in Columbia.

#39 Posted by StrikeALight (1111 posts) -

I'll just slap my forehead and say - "No".

#40 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

Waiting for platforms to hook up 5 times just to get to the store and buy some milk? No thank you.

No internet? No thank you.

A complete air of superiority and douchiness constantly? No thank you.

Also lol at the closetracist topic creator. Hilarious.

#41 Posted by Meltac (1901 posts) -

I already have.

#42 Edited by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

No way. The tension in the atmosphere and culture alone would encourage me to leave.

#43 Posted by cutyoface (525 posts) -

Nah, I got a mad fear of heights.

#44 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -

No on account of partial blackness.

#45 Posted by 49th (2546 posts) -

No, even if the cities were not screwed up I would be terrified of being so high up or under the ocean.

#46 Edited by mikey87144 (1489 posts) -

Well I'm black so automatically I have to say no.

#47 Posted by Svenzon (699 posts) -

The architecture looks nice, but I'm not very fond of racism and I'm terrified of heights, so no.

#48 Posted by Castiel (2422 posts) -

Fuck no! Bunch of racist mother f'ers.

#49 Posted by GWS_Anubis (4 posts) -

I would have to say no just based off the religious extremism and the racism is just over the top. I'm aware that these are all things that the world has overcome, I just wouldn't want to purposefully put myself in that situation. At all.

#50 Posted by gaminghooligan (1347 posts) -

I'm Irish.

So fuck a bunch of that.