Has anyone played this blatant Hotline Miami clone?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

Hotline Miami didn't invent lo-fi overhead perspectives with gun gameplay, but boy do these games share a lot of design sensibilities, right down to weapons you can pick up off the ground having a kind of "hover" effect where they're kinda floating in place so you know to interact with them.

That's the trailer on Steam, I'm not sure there is an official English-language trailer at the moment.

Anyone played it? I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

DeiNile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Loading Video...

The only thing I can think of is TotalBisuit.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So steam has officially reached appstore level of lawlessness.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_wester: Yeah this is gross. Steam has long since left it's sweet spot of being a haven for cool new games and for a while has been a dumping ground for clones and mobile ports that obscures great shit that could be coming out on the service. Steam got weird.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThunderSlash

I saw this on the Steam front page and thought that it looked like a bootleg swap-meet Hotline Miami clone. Supposedly it was called Hotline Kavkaz before they renamed it.

Gamebomb.ru should quick look this one.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

The logo is using Impact and Comic Sans! Why would anyone even bother looking at any more of it?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

This is definitely a game for Vincent "Games are hard to make" Caravella.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

This is definitely a game for Vincent "Game are hard to make" Caravella.

Vinny "Apologist for shameless video game cashgrabs" Caravella.

I can't fathom how some of those games end up getting GB East Quick Looks.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

Gross. Had to stop that Totalbiscuit video after 3 minutes (because of the game, not Biscuit). This game should be taken off of Steam.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

And then it turns out to be a hidden DLC for hotline miami.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#13  Edited By DonutFever

What if this is the "real" Hotline Miami 2, Wrong Number was just a red herring, and that doctor WAS a viral marketing thing for Metal Gear Solid V?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#14 sgtsphynx  Moderator
doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Anyone remember The Hong Kong Massacre? Is that thing dead or something? I thought it looked pretty cool at the time, like John Woo mixed with Hotline Miami.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LobotomyKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LobotomyKing
mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What if this is Frog Fractions 2?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

TotalBiscuit should know better than to buy this and give it any attention at all. The best thing to do is let it fall into obscurity, and yah it's super gross.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Panelhopper

Yeah, Jim sterling covered this one as well, both as a full game and back when it was just a Greenlight trailer (and was still called Hotline Kavkaz). It's deplorable. Firstly, I don't understand why you would want your first game on steam to be such a blatant rip off and secondly, steam is officially a lawless internet state now. Zero quality control.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@panelhopper: I'm willing to bet that on some level, they were betting that a big Youtube or Twitch personality would show off the game causing others to go "well, this looks like shit. I'm going to buy it because lolz its so funny and/or I also want to show the world how shitty this is" or something while not realizing that the developer doesn't care why you bought it. The fact is you bought it and they have your money. They won't make a ton of money, but when all is said and done, they'll have made more than they ever should.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panelhopper: It's easy enough now for bedroom developers like this to make a game, then disappear off and form another studio or join another studio. Or maybe this was just a game jam of theirs and they're just going to try make some cash off it because hey why not.

@humanity: Totalbiscuit knows how to monetize Youtube. Covering this game works right into that. Bad games like this are perfect punching bags to make a video out of.

Also, the game looks shoddy, but the soundtrack is alright and it had some pretty cool looking stuff in it, like when the dude rides the little waiter trolley down the corridor while shooting off of it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Oh I know, this is why there are tons of channels with hundreds of thousands of views for some pre-alpha Steam early access sandbox trash that will never get finished. I'm not a fan of TB but I thought he was slightly above people like AngryJoe. I guess money is money. I'd like to think I would have more integrity in his position but who knows, at some point you gotta pay the bills.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember when Valve gave a shit?

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By justicejanitor

@humanity said:

TotalBiscuit should know better than to buy this and give it any attention at all. The best thing to do is let it fall into obscurity, and yah it's super gross.

I get what your saying but he's also using the video to talk about video game cash grabs and shameless ripoffs and abhorrent developer behaviour in general. I think he should have made a VLOG about the subject in general instead of "showcasing" this game in particular.

Edit : Huh, he actually talked about the whole giving it publicity even thought it's bad publicity thing : https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/all-publicity-is-not-good-publicity

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@babychoochoo: yeah, I can see that. I just think, if I had paid $100 to get on to Greenlight, I'd want something original to show for it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam has gone to shit.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

Loading Video...

What is that, Comic Sans?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Ugh, Steam's storefront is a disgrace of late.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ew as fuck.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@slag said:

They are running straight to a cliff, and when they fall off it, they'll be swimming with the mobile storefronts. 99% rip off junk no one really wants to play, 1% actual games.

I don't understand why the problem of TOO MUCH CRAPPY GARBAGE is not being handled, and hasn't already been dealt with, say, 6 months ago.

I'm first to fully admit I wish the XB1 and PS4 had more games, but this is the complete, opposite, nightmarish problem. At least when I look at those stores I know the games aren't utter trash made by racist con artists. :S I hurt .

I get that game's borrowing from games is cool (it is to me anyways), but there needs to be a line, right?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slag said:

They are running straight to a cliff, and when they fall off it, they'll be swimming with the mobile storefronts. 99% rip off junk no one really wants to play, 1% actual games.

I don't understand why the problem of TOO MUCH CRAPPY GARBAGE is not being handled, and hasn't already been dealt with, say, 6 months ago.

I'm first to fully admit I wish the XB1 and PS4 had more games, but this is the complete, opposite, nightmarish problem. At least when I look at those stores I know the games aren't utter trash made by racist con artists. :S I hurt .

I get that game's borrowing from games is cool (it is to me anyways), but there needs to be a line, right?

I agree and I certainly think everybody wins when a retailer does even basic curation on their offerings. Steam's grand solution seems to have outside sources do it unsupervised but let everything and their brother on. A lot of good and great games are getting buried under a deluge of cash-grabby trash.

I think I saw a stat that said in 2013 Steam had 440 new listings for that year, in 2014 that exploded 3300! I wish I saved the link, the increase in listings has been nuts in recent years

Valve has crisis on their hands, whether they know it or not. This is not a good environment for creators or players atm.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@humanity: wait, what's wrong with AngryJoe??

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@slag: Completely on point. For steam stats, this may or may not be what you're looking for, but similar:

And remember everyone, you don't really want a clone!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b911d3722cb7
deactivated-5b911d3722cb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, has here anyone actually played the game yet or are we all just here to shit on it for looking like another popular game?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonjam7: he acts like a child starved for attention.