• 68 results
#1 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -
GOTHIC

AS

FUCK
MI'LADY
Okay, wow

As a lover of gothic-themed stuff (Warhammer 40k, Alien, Gears of War, Tim Burton, Lovecraft and other bleak and grotesque manifestations) and a huge fan of the Souls games, there is currently no reason for me to not buy a PS4 over any other console. This game so far is everything I want.

With The Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, DOOM, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition and this on the way, 2015 is going to be an awesome year for games.

So, what do you guys think of the game from these screenshots alone?

#2 Edited by csl316 (8672 posts) -

The art direction is incredible. Curious what the rest of the game will look like, but these are doing a great job in establishing a mood.

And man, I didn't think about it til you said it, but 2015 is really going to be something special. Here's hoping that Tomb Raider 2 makes it.

#3 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

@csl316 said:

The art direction ia incredible. Curious what the rest of the game will look like, but these are doing a great job in establishing a mood.

And man, I didn't think about it til you said it, but 2015 is really going to be something special. Here's hoping that Tomb Raider 2 makes it.

Wow, I totally forgot about that game. Goes to show how huge that year is going to be in both games AND movies.

#4 Edited by development (2322 posts) -

That thing in the bottom pic has prehensile claws, it looks like. Either that or they're pre-bent just right.

I'm a little nervous hearing Miyazaki wants to take things away from the "block and attack" kind of gameplay in favor of something more "offensive." I really, really hope that doesn't mean something akin to Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, or even a middleground between the two types of games. I hope that just moreso means it's Demon's Souls without the shields. I'll play it, regardless.

Definitely more pumped for this than any of those others, although Witcher 3 is a close second.

#5 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (413 posts) -

That looks fucking incredible, both technically and artistically. People bitching about the graphics on these new systems are fucking crazy.

Really curious to see some gameplay footage. I'm hoping that this not having the Souls name attached to it means that the gameplay is going to be completely different, but that probably won't be the case.

#6 Posted by spraynardtatum (2950 posts) -

OH MY GOD

#7 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@csl316 said:

The art direction is incredible. Curious what the rest of the game will look like, but these are doing a great job in establishing a mood.

2015 has been predicted by many to be this generation's 2007. Crysis, Bioshock, CoD4... the list goes on and on.

#8 Posted by Xolare (1284 posts) -

I really hope the gameplay is as fluid as Dark Souls but without the huge ass difficulty curve.

#9 Posted by csl316 (8672 posts) -

@seppli: Feels like it, when the new systems start to hit their stride. 2007 was right up there with '98 for me. It's been just long enough to start expecting another classic year coming up.

#10 Posted by TheHuffness (9 posts) -

Looks incredible. I feel like there are going to be a lot of dark windy alleys that i have to pause before and convince myself to walk down. I'm very interested to see what the gameplay is going to be like.

#11 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1097 posts) -

"Can we show the game?"
"Nah guys, I know your game looks pretty good right now, but CGI is the way to go."
"But footage has already leaked! Why not show real fluid gameplay in high quality? The fans would love it!"
"Nah, CGI"

#12 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

Just so you know, according to the director, Bloodborne's going to run at 1080p and 60fps. As much as I dislike the ingrates which demand that, it's still an awesome thing to have.

#13 Posted by TheBrokenPinion (66 posts) -

This game sounds awesome! I need a PS 4 now.

#14 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

i don't need screenshots. this had me at Souls games guy is making another game.

#15 Edited by militantfreudian (111 posts) -
@development said:

I'm a little nervous hearing Miyazaki wants to take things away from the "block and attack" kind of gameplay in favor of something more "offensive." I really, really hope that doesn't mean something akin to Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, or even a middleground between the two types of games. I hope that just moreso means it's Demon's Souls without the shields. I'll play it, regardless.

I just saw the hands-on impression video on Gamespot and they said that you seem to be up against a larger number of enemies, so this is a bit worrying. I liked the personal nature of the combat in the previous games and the fact that you kind of have to play a bit defensive and pick your shots.

#16 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5478 posts) -
#17 Edited by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Still need to know more. I am concerned I always see the same two weapons in the main dudes hands. That and the main dude is always the same dude. Where is my character options? Where are the different weapon choices?

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5478 posts) -

@karkarov: Those were concerns people had with Dark Souls II, then it wound up having a completely insane number of customization options and weapons/playstyles. Also this isn't a souls game so they can do whatever the hell they want with it as long as it's challenging.

#19 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@seppli: Crysis was a PC game.

How's that pertinent? It's a 2007 vintage game. And I'll fight anyone who says it wasn't hugely important.

#20 Posted by Zeik (2427 posts) -

@development: I don't want DMC, but I don't want a Souls game either. There's bound to be more sequels for that series in the future, this is their chance to try something new. Something faster paced and "more offensive" sounds fine to me, as long as they do it right.

#21 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5478 posts) -

@seppli: It's not a generational game, fairly simple. If you want a big graphics moment it'd be something like Assassin's Creed (which obviously looked like shit compared to Crysis). Or Uncharted/Uncharted 2, but those games have very strong art design as well.

#22 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

@seppli: It's not a generational game, fairly simple. If you want a big graphics moment it'd be something like Assassin's Creed (which obviously looked like shit compared to Crysis). Or Uncharted/Uncharted 2, but those games have very strong art design as well.

Since when is pc gaming outside of generations? PCs aren't just along for the ride, they're part of the whole gaming package. 2007 was a crazy influental year on all fronts.

#23 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5478 posts) -

@seppli: Since... always? You don't have to buy a new PC; there's not a massive marketing campaign for a specific PC, there's no PC press conference, and most importantly if a game doesn't come out on consoles exclusively there's no incentive to buy the consoles as opposed to just using your PC some more. Hell Crysis looks better than almost everything even now; Destiny water is total garbage compared to Crysis water... 7 years later.

#24 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@seppli: Since... always? You don't have to buy a new PC; there's not a massive marketing campaign for a specific PC, there's no PC press conference, and most importantly if a game doesn't come out on consoles exclusively there's no incentive to buy the consoles as opposed to just using your PC some more. Hell Crysis looks better than almost everything even now; Destiny water is total garbage compared to Crysis water... 7 years later.

Well, you say that like PC gaming happens in a bubble, when it doesn't. It happend 2007. And we're talking about vintage. 2015 will likely be amazing, just like 2007, because it's two years after the introduction of a new technical lowest common denominator, a new console generation. What gen of consoles it was isn't important, it's the vintage that's pertinent.

Anyways - this discussion is certainly not pertinent to the topic at hand, which is that Bloodborne is looking amazing. So let's leave it at that.

#25 Posted by Aegon (5636 posts) -

@development said:

I just saw the hands-on impression video on Gamespot and they said that you seem to be up against a larger number of enemies, so this is a bit worrying. I liked the personal nature of the combat in the previous games and the fact that you kind of have to play a bit defensive and pick your shots.

Wait, does this mean that this is the previously unannounced game that the media is getting a demo of? The GB crew were leaning towards LBP3 being that game.

#26 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5496 posts) -

It honestly looks fantastic.

#27 Posted by development (2322 posts) -

@development said:

Hmm... I really don't like the sound of that. I'm not condemning it, of course. Just worries me.

#28 Posted by TheHT (11253 posts) -

Fucking gorgeous.

#29 Posted by GTCknight (695 posts) -

@karkarov said:

Still need to know more. I am concerned I always see the same two weapons in the main dudes hands. That and the main dude is always the same dude. Where is my character options? Where are the different weapon choices?

Not sure if anyone has said this to you or not, but they've already stated that there will be character creator and that those are just some of the weapons in the game.

Here's a link to Playstation Blog

#30 Posted by Vuud (1992 posts) -

Everyone wants to make a Witcher game.

#31 Posted by jiggajoe14 (690 posts) -

Man I née to see this in motion. A nice switch up from souls style gameplay is really welcome as well.

#32 Posted by MB (12401 posts) -

It's FromSoft...so I immediately have two concerns:

1. Is the frame rate going to be tolerable?

2. Is the online going to actually work?

Figure out those two hurdles and I'm in.

Moderator Online
#33 Edited by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

Guys, embrace change. Dark Souls 1 & 2 were already made and are there to enjoy. If this game changes up some of the style involved with combat, good on the devs! New games aren't just about same mechanic/new setting, they're about moving forward and progressing! Not getting caught in the loop of rereleasing the same game over and over, no matter how great it WAS(especially when there's TWO of them!). Don't ask how you can make something better, but instead how you can make it different! (steve jobs?)

#34 Posted by MEATBALL (3239 posts) -

@development said:

You two do realise this isn't fucking Dark Souls, right? God forbid Miyazaki actually make a different fucking game.

#35 Edited by jArmAhead (299 posts) -

I love the look of this. Looks darker than Dark Souls, somehow.

@meatball said:

@militantfreudian said:
@development said:

You two do realise this isn't fucking Dark Souls, right? God forbid Miyazaki actually make a different fucking game.

Seriously. Dark Souls 2 already exists, and has a bunch more content coming. I for one am super excited for a game that caters to a similar fanbase but branches out artistically and in terms of gameplay.

#36 Posted by Dussck (231 posts) -

Dark Souls was not a looker, but I guess it helped that Sony's Studio Japan joined in on this. Great looking game! Also showed that Project Beast footage was probably very very old.

#37 Edited by HeyGuys (410 posts) -

Guys, embrace change. Dark Souls 1 & 2 were already made and are there to enjoy. If this game changes up some of the style involved with combat, good on the devs! New games aren't just about same mechanic/new setting, they're about moving forward and progressing! Not getting caught in the loop of rereleasing the same game over and over, no matter how great it WAS(especially when there's TWO of them!). Don't ask how you can make something better, but instead how you can make it different! (steve jobs?)

100% agree. Dark Souls was one of my favorite games but the more different the game play looks from Dark Souls the more excited I get.

#38 Posted by Jesus_Phish (791 posts) -

@tru3_blu3: The screenshots really remind me of Games Workshops Mordheim tabletop game, only with everything turned up to 11.

#39 Posted by Gatehouse (625 posts) -
@mb said:

It's FromSoft...so I immediately have two concerns:

1. Is the frame rate going to be tolerable?

2. Is the online going to actually work?

Figure out those two hurdles and I'm in.

Don't forget about actually having a half decent UI/menu system for once. Those Souls games are great but their menus suuuuuuck.

#40 Posted by Humanity (9242 posts) -

I just hope it turns out to be a card game.

#41 Edited by militantfreudian (111 posts) -

@meatball: Look, don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to this game because it's not a direct sequel to Dark Souls. The fact that the game won't feature any shields had me even more excited to see some gameplay footage. That said, it is ostensibly a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, and retains at least some of the mechanics seen in the previous Souls games. So, I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss (or, more to the point, speculate about) the fundamentals of the type of the games they make, such as the very nature of the combat.

#42 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5478 posts) -

2 takeaways from this thread: Framerate and Menus are the only things that are important for game design.

#43 Posted by Dussck (231 posts) -

I think there was some 'hands-off' showing of the game on E3, curious to hear/read what GB guys think of it. Especially Brad, Vinny and Patrick.

#44 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -

I have a question. If the leaked game-play video didn't exist (which guaranteed it was definitely in the vein of the Souls series), would the excitement level be the same?

For me personally, if I did not see those leaked videos, my interest level would not be the same at all. From Software was a mediocre developer at best before the Soul series. They did bring us Ninja Blade and Steel Battalion after all.

#45 Posted by Yummylee (21642 posts) -

@meatball said:

@militantfreudian said:
@development said:

Seriously. Dark Souls 2 already exists, and has a bunch more content coming. I for one am super excited for a game that caters to a similar fanbase but branches out artistically and in terms of gameplay.

Indeed. This is called Bloodborne and not '____ Souls' for a reason after all.

#46 Posted by pyrodactyl (2034 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@jarmahead said:

@meatball said:

@militantfreudian said:
@development said:

Indeed. This is called Bloodborne and not '____ Souls' for a reason after all.

The guy from gamespot said it felt like a souls game so I'm relieved. They're not making a dark action game. There's a reason people want something like a souls game. Those a unique and relatively new experiences compared to the stale genre of hack and slash action. Now let's see if they keep the customization/loot.

#47 Posted by Yummylee (21642 posts) -

@pyrodactyl: I don't doubt that it's going to resemble a Souls game, at the very least on the surface. But at the same time I'm sure there'll be a lot of differences big & small to still set it apart and allow it to craft its own identity.

#48 Posted by Nightriff (5082 posts) -

I have to beat the souls games before this comes out, looks fantastic.

#49 Edited by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

@gtcknight said:

@karkarov said:

Not sure if anyone has said this to you or not, but they've already stated that there will be character creator and that those are just some of the weapons in the game.

Here's a link to Playstation Blog

Thanks for the link. I would still like to see more than what they have shown so far, I am fairly sure I am not the only one. EDIT: That link says absolutely nothing about a character creator and even quasi implies you are a set in stone static character. I won't be surprised if there is one but it would be nice if they just "said" there was. At least it does "sort of" confirm that there are more weapons.

#50 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

Really interested in seeing how they will move away from the more passive style of the Souls combat while keeping the physical feel, if done right it could be something very impressive.

Plus this looks like the best Van Helsing type of setting game that I've always wanted to exist. So far it's looking like a win win for me.