How much trouble are you having adjusting to Bloodborne?

• 76 results
Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I spent most of Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls II) behind a shield, so I have had a hell of a time adjusting to the new mechanics in Bloodborne. It's easily the most trouble I've had at the beginning of one of these games. I was stuck on Papa G for about 5 hours (I encountered him before the "first" boss, when I finally found them, I beat it on my first try). I'm well past him now, and over the initial hump, but there was a little while where I thought that I would never cross that skill threshold. How about everyone else? How difficult are you finding the game in comparison to past Souls games (especially the opening hours)? Did you parry and dodge a lot in those games? How much do you think those skills are carrying over? I barely parried in the past and I really think that has made the early part of this game much harder for me and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bosses are consistently cheaper and harder. It is like every fight is versus smelter demon and flamelurker only they now have crap tons of HP bloat. Strangely the levels themselves have posed little to no challenge to me which is kind of the opposite of how it was in Demon's Souls where normally the level was the challenge then the boss would be fairly easy to defeat once understood.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No trouble at all. Once your mind accepts the fact that shields are gone you'll have a much better time adjusting.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A ton. They have huge HP pools compared to souls games and are hyper aggressive at all times so far. The lack of ranged options makes me super uncomfortable and I miss my mage. This makes me want to finally finish DS2 and the DLC with a proper mage

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't say it's any cheaper but it's definitely been a lot harder for me at least

• My favorite builds in Dark Souls 1 & 2 were casters and tanks. I haven't seen a way to make either viable in Bloodborne
  • I was a lot better at parrying in DS than I am in BB, because you could plan your parrys. You could block the first hit with your shield and then parry when ready as opposed to needing to hit the parry immediately on every single attack.
  • When you reached a boss in DS2 in particular, you just could pop a summon sign down outside the foggate, learn the boss while helping someone else defeat him and then take him on with fully replenished estus/casts, and humanity if you needed to summon help. NOT the case here.
Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

As someone who played enough of the series to learn that shields are just a crutch, I'm doing okay. The areas seem a bit more cluttered with shit that you can get stuck on (which has led to many avoidable deaths, sadly), but the roll/dash feels pretty good overall.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No trouble. Be aggressive. Dodge. The end.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordukai: did you parry a lot in other Souls games? I think my trouble has mostly been related to having to adjust to a completely new way of playing within a fairly familiar framework. Everything feels the same, but I can't play it the way my mind expects me to. It took me a long time to pass though that mental block.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viqor said:

@mordukai: did you parry a lot in other Souls games? I think my trouble has mostly been related to having to adjust to a completely new way of playing within a fairly familiar framework. Everything feels the same, but I can't play it the way my mind expects me to. It took me a long time to pass though that mental block.

The thing is, I DO parry a lot in other Souls games. Like I beat the shit out of Gwynn through parrys. I'm just not used to needing to hit the parry on the first hit.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

With so many enemies taking a fair number of hits and the speed, but relatively short length, of the side dashes I'm having trouble finding the right rhythm in managing my stamina. The regen mechanic also leads me to mash when I don't have the stamina for it.

Not having a shield doesn't bother me much, though.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MeMonk

I had a bit of a hard time adjusting at first. In Dark Souls I always used a shield, why dodge when u have 100% protection. The Dark Souls 2 DLC has a few bosses that are really hard if you don't dodge (Fume Knight the Dragon) so I learned by beating them. It is harrowing to play without the comfort of a shield. The bosses so far have not been too tough, (beat 3 of them) the hardest people so far have been the hunter types that have the same moves as you and are a pain in the ass.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

To me, learning how to play a Souls game is like learning how to ride a bike. There are usually different mechanics to learn from game to game, but there are certain fundamentals to these games that you just never forget. Not having a shield is by far the biggest difference to the core mechanics in here, but it's pretty easy to adjust to.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle

As someone who loved the fuck out of parries I'm finding it weird. I essentially only have twenty parries (unless I do blood bullets, which I have been at times) and sometimes it winds up being a waste of an opportunity. I'm still early yet but I've been finding it pretty easy to stagger people. So far the hardest part for me is not still playing with a defensive mindset of 'dodge back' which really fucked me with the second boss on more than one instance.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By golguin

I wouldn't say it's any cheaper but it's definitely been a lot harder for me at least

• My favorite builds in Dark Souls 1 & 2 were casters and tanks. I haven't seen a way to make either viable in Bloodborne
  • I was a lot better at parrying in DS than I am in BB, because you could plan your parrys. You could block the first hit with your shield and then parry when ready as opposed to needing to hit the parry immediately on every single attack.
  • When you reached a boss in DS2 in particular, you just could pop a summon sign down outside the foggate, learn the boss while helping someone else defeat him and then take him on with fully replenished estus/casts, and humanity if you needed to summon help. NOT the case here.

You can still park yourself in front of a bossgate and co-op as much as you like before the boss as long as you bought the summon bell from the Insight Fountain Store at the Hunter's Dream. No cost to be summoned. 1 insight for you to summon someone.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've only faced off against 3 bosses so far but I think the level design is poor for those encounters. You are getting stuck on level geometry or in the case of the Cleric beast which is technically the first boss you're meant to encounter, using lock-on is terrible and causes the camera to completely spaz out.

As others have mentioned I also think the bosses have a lot of health and resistance to your weapons and thus far they've all had a hyper enraged mode when their health drops to the last quarter or so.

I don't mind the parry system but I think it's inconsistent. It's honestly hard to tell when you'll stun them and when they'll just shrug it off. On some enemies I can pull this off each time on others it's a coin toss, which makes me believe maybe it has something to do with the equipment?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By soulcake

I feel like there's not enough space between boss fights. being going from boss fight to boss fight. reminds me of DS II :D.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: Yeah but it doesn't allow you to replenish healing items.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not having any trouble. I jumped right in and it only took about 20 minutes to get used to all the new stuff.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

No trouble. Only trouble I'm having is with co-op. It seems like latency is making parrying a lot harder on bosses and with their gigantic health pool, I haven't had a lot of fun with joining someone's game so far. It just takes 20 minutes to bring down a boss when you can't get the parry in. Oddly think it's a lot easier by yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dodging is no problem for me, I'm still adjusting to parrying though. I've played a lot of Souls sans shields anyhow, so it wasn't a huge jump.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viqor: I did my fair share of parries but I didn't rely as much on it as other players. I also did use a shield but I wasn't using it as my personal windshield. I've had a much harder time adjusting to the control scheme then anything else in the game. I took me a little bit of control to get used to not hit my L1 when I want to shoot and vice versa not hit L2 when I want to use the alternate weapon mode.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My playstyle in Dark Souls 2 was always dual wielding, so it's really not a problem. And I rarely used shields in the other games too.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Nardak

This is my first dark souls type of game. Must say that the beginning has been somewhat of a trial. Killed first boss on the first try. The second boss on the other hand proved to bea much more difficult encounter. Had to read some advice on the encounter after wiping 15+ times on the boss. Fortunately I managed to kill the second boss after a few hours of wiping.

Though it probably only gets more difficult as the game progresses.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as much as I thought I would. I always had a shield and Claymore in Souls, so I thought I'd have a lot more trouble that I've had so far. I've been able to pick out enemies and fight them on my terms pretty easily though. I've gotten overwhelmed a few times but not too many.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: The trick is to have 3 people in and then you're just wailing on the boss so the super health doesn't matter.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Evilsbane

As someone who beat DS1 and DS2 in full Havel's with Tower Shields the idea of having no tank options makes the game sound scary as fuck.

But I still want to play it, I seriously might just go rent a PS4 from an Aaron's or something.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ares42

I wouldn't say I'm having a big problem adjusting, but I've never been a fan of the playstyle. And what they've tried to do to alleviate my issues with it isn't enough. I'm not necessarily missing a shield, but I really hate the fact that they force you to wear "light" armor. It just ends up making stats completely irrelevant as everything keeps doing more and more damage while your survivability stays the same. With heavier armor there are still attacks that has to be dodged, and it's harder to do so, but it's just way more consistent than the "you made one mistake" trial and error playstyle light armor has.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dex user from DS1 and DS2 that played with light armor and no shield. The only adjusting I needed to do was not press triangle to double hand my weapon as that's now the dedicated heal button.

I've killed 3 bosses solo so far with the only trouble coming from the 1st boss Cleric Beast. After wiping 20+ times I learned that I needed to upgrade my armor so I wouldn't get one shotted. I also stopped using the parry on the boss because that caused him to go into a constant enrage mode right from the start of the fight. The new armor and not parry strategy got me the victory immediately after. Father G went down in the 3rd or 4th attempt with my parry spam. Blood Starved Beast went down in like the 7th attempt and I only healed once.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to solo every boss. I'm glad to see the enraged mode can still kill groups of people so summoning isn't an auto win like it used to be.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably really need to try to get a grasp on the gun mechanic but for me at least it feels tough enough staying alive. Ive been mostly spamming hits desperately with the hunters axe, using the L2 sweep for crowd control. Granted im not far at all; in honesty ive mostly been stuck at the first big bonfire area with the huge gathering and only just managed to get past it. It always seems like i hit an initial hump with these games so hopefully im getting better.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By redyoshi

I will say that playing this game is making me want to revisit Souls with a dex build. I feel like I can handle that more confidently after Bloodborne whereas before I was wary about even two handing for too long. Only thing I'm having trouble with, besides gun stunning consistently, is handling the trick weapon system. The alternate movesets throw me off when I'm expecting an attack of mine to reach a certain range but then it ends up whiffing. This could be an issue I'm having because my starter weapon is the Threaded Cane and it's main and alternate states look pretty similar from my peripheral vision while I'm focusing on enemies.

I do feel like I'm doing poor damage though. Cleric Beast took forever to kill with my +1 Cane. I was able to kill the Father quicker but just because of music box, visceral attack and molotov spam.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The parrying is very strange. The logic and the range of the matter is much less clear than before, making me want to do it much less. It just feels bad compared to the Souls game.

freedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@humanity: I'm still having trouble timing the parry, but there's a super obvious music stinger than plays every time you successfully stagger someone. If you don't hear it, dude's not staggered.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first time this game gives you a shield you will laugh out loud, guaranteed. They give you it at a point in the game where the player will go "fuck it" because he's become so comfortable with not having a shield. BRILLIANT design choice by the A team to not give a shield out from the start.

MrAbomination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Parrying seems easier than in DS2, the timing appears to be a bit more forgiving. The main issue I'm having is attacking enemies to get health back. The first two bosses really hammered down the fact that you can't play this like other Souls games, you need to be super aggressive.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

The bosses are consistently cheaper and harder. It is like every fight is versus smelter demon and flamelurker only they now have crap tons of HP bloat. Strangely the levels themselves have posed little to no challenge to me which is kind of the opposite of how it was in Demon's Souls where normally the level was the challenge then the boss would be fairly easy to defeat once understood.

Wow, I guess that I never used shields should help me adapt, but the fact that you are struggling makes me nervous about the game. Which, once again, I am not feeling right now. I mean should I get a PS4 for this? When I havent even done a proper champions cov run of DkS2.

Right now moving my Maya over to the handsome collection seems like a bigger incentive. Which is very very sad for a console that has been out for a while.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haniball: Personally I don't think any single game is worth getting an entire console for. It's a fun game that still has the great amazing highs and infuriating lows this series is known for. At the end of the day it's still just another souls game. You got blood echoes instead of souls and you have transforming weapons, gun parries, but it's very much the same gameplay loop except now you don't get a choice in shielding or not. In some ways it even takes a step back in evolution as Dark Souls 2 had some smart game design they decided to forego in this one. Not being able to warp from lantern to lantern is a weird choice especially since the load times are pretty long. Not sure how no one said anything in testing or why they would deliberately force the player to go back to the Hunters Dream just so they can warp to another area. There is no more equipment load and armor overall seems almost an afterthought, so that entire layer of heavy-vs-light strategy is completely gone. Camera seems worse than ever and they stripped out specific bodypart targetting that was introduced in DS2. When fighting bosses twice as tall as you it was handy to be able to target their legs so the camera wouldn't pan awkwardly up to the center body mass.

The more I play it and keep running into small issues like slowdowns and such the more I'm sadly coming to a realization that this is yet another game in this new console generation that needed a little more time in development to iron out some quirks.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always rolled with a shield in prior games, but haven't found it too difficult to adjust. The more annoying thing is the seeming lack of bonfires (yeah I know they aren't called that). And bosses seem to have a ton of HP. Even with my Axe at +3 I feel like I should be doing more damage. Enemies with guns are just annoying as well.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@haniball: Personally I don't think any single game is worth getting an entire console for. It's a fun game that still has the great amazing highs and infuriating lows this series is known for. At the end of the day it's still just another souls game. You got blood echoes instead of souls and you have transforming weapons, gun parries, but it's very much the same gameplay loop except now you don't get a choice in shielding or not. In some ways it even takes a step back in evolution as Dark Souls 2 had some smart game design they decided to forego in this one. Not being able to warp from lantern to lantern is a weird choice especially since the load times are pretty long. Not sure how no one said anything in testing or why they would deliberately force the player to go back to the Hunters Dream just so they can warp to another area. There is no more equipment load and armor overall seems almost an afterthought, so that entire layer of heavy-vs-light strategy is completely gone. Camera seems worse than ever and they stripped out specific bodypart targetting that was introduced in DS2. When fighting bosses twice as tall as you it was handy to be able to target their legs so the camera wouldn't pan awkwardly up to the center body mass.

The more I play it and keep running into small issues like slowdowns and such the more I'm sadly coming to a realization that this is yet another game in this new console generation that needed a little more time in development to iron out some quirks.

Hmm, my Wii U is quite happy as a Bayonetta2 only machine. But that game is arguably the best character action game ever made. So it is an easy decision. Whereas I feel like a proper champions run might actually be a better .souls experience than this? I am only going by my gut here.

Well and the fact that I really don't like killing stuff with fur or feathers in games. I guess I'm weird that way :)

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By militantfreudian

I've always used shields in the previous games and rarely tried to parry, and it took me half an hour to get acclimated to the new controls, and about two hours to get the hang of the combat system. I still play somewhat defensively, and I tend to parry bosses and tougher enemies rather than just wail on them. I have yet to be in a scenario where the game feels cheap or frustrating.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Bloodborne is my first true foray into the "Souls" series (played a small amount of Dark Souls 2) and so far I died only once and beat my first boss on the first try. I would say I am adjusting well, but I do expect to have a lot more deaths in the future.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Spoonman671

None. It isn't any different than dual wielding with a parrying dagger in the Dark Souls games. I don't usually do that on the first playthrough, but since Bloodborne strips away all your options I don't really have a choice but to play that way.

LaudaSolem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number of enemies that can attack you takes getting used to. DS and DS2 were limited due to console specs. There is one part early in BB where you encounter two roaming gangs and another bunch (eight or more) standing around a bonfire. After a few passes, I decided to run through them toward the Madman banging on the door. I just didn't want to keep having to kill fifteen guys each time.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haniball: I am not struggling, the problem is that the game removed all choice and left you with only one playstyle. I never liked parrying in the other games, I always played slow, methodical, and defensive as you know. Simply put.... you can't play that way in bloodborne. You have to be always moving, almost always on the attack, and almost every boss is pure hell unless you master the timing of stunning them with a gun, which I am not good at cause I never liked doing it to begin with. Sadly this time it is either that, or just be so damn good you never get hit. Too bad bosses have greater reach and speed than you do ;p

@humanity said:

Camera seems worse than ever and they stripped out specific bodypart targetting that was introduced in DS2. When fighting bosses twice as tall as you it was handy to be able to target their legs so the camera wouldn't pan awkwardly up to the center body mass

Correction. They have not taken that out, it just only applies to certain bosses. There is one boss for example I repeatedly hit them in this one stop on their knee and after taking so many hits to it the bosses knee "broke" and the boss lost like literally 30% of their health from it. So it is still there, just very rare.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

One of my Dark Souls characters was a fast rolling mage, so I'm pretty used to dodging around instead of blocking all the time. Even still, the early hours were a bit rough, but I'm well past the hump and have actually kind of breezed through a the last few bosses I've fought.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd only played DS2 prior to this, and I warmed much, much quicker to the dashier, fast paced nature of the game.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I played over 200 hours of Dark Souls, played through Demon's Souls twice and Dark Souls II twice as well. I'm having a tough time because I was always a fairly heavy/conservative fireball thrower armored dude with a shield and big sword or axe. So the whole aggressive approach with the regaining life/stunning with the gun/charge attack stuff is throwing me off. Which means it's challenging and interesting, and I like it so far. But it's tough.

Still, I beat the first boss on my first try (almost killed the stupid werewolf at the beginning with my bare hands too) and almost killed the second boss on my first try too so clearly some of my tactics and skills have carried over.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HaniBall

@karkarov: When you guys say stun, do you mean proper stun or interrupt an attack animation? Like in Ninja Gaiden I throw a shuriken at a caster. In that case why would you have to time it like a parry? Or proper stun like I stun the first sentinel in power stance. But again, wait for opening, hit r2, stun. No timing. Or an honest parry like you would a black knight?

All very confusing. I wish there was a demo.

And yea, the limited playstyles sounds un souls-like.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By LegalBagel

So far I haven't had as much problem getting used to the style of the game as I have the difficulty of the bosses. Every one is hyper aggressive, tons of HP, and can often stun lock and kill you if you dodge wrong given the lack of heavier armor or shields. Exploring the world hasn't been an issue, but fighting the third and fourth bosses were high up there in terms of Souls games challenges for me.

My main two takeaways so far besides the obvious of no shield and dodging is that parrying is essential and fire paper is amazing. I have a +4 Cane and a ton of skill, but I still felt underpowered compared to the fourth boss unless I used fire paper.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont like no shield right now

but im an hour in so....