Is Bloodborne's patch 1.04 that allows you to summon anyone of any level bad for the game?

Sentient6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Bloodborne's patch 1.04 that allows you to summon anyone of any level bad for the game? (71 votes)

Yes, it destroys pvp among other things. 11%
No, it's great! 73%
I can't decide. 15%

I've been reading about how you can now summon someone of any level in Bloodborne from the latest patch. Here's a good write up on it:

http://n4g.com/news/1732604/why-bloodbornes-patch-1-04-is-fundamentally-damaging/

I'm personally really annoyed by this. I want to know the posters thoughts on this from here. Think it's damaging or not?

(P.S. The other things in the patch I think were mostly good changes. This is the only change I dislike.)

• 
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Why would it be damaging? Its up to a player themselves to summon someone. If you're not into summoning people and battling bosses yourself then who cares?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Why would it be damaging? Its up to a player themselves to summon someone. If you're not into summoning people and battling bosses yourself then who cares?

This pretty much. If the player wants to summon a crazy high level player because, let them. It's only for password-specific summons after all, not randoms. The PVP was already busted before this patch at that. The article in general seems hella sensationalist (''Casualborne''...) and there's a typo in the second sentence of the thing.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@yummylee said:
@demoskinos said:

This pretty much. If the player wants to summon a crazy high level player because, let them. It's only for password-specific summons after all, not randoms. The PVP was already busted before this patch at that. The article in general seems hella sensationalist (''Casualborne''...) and there's a typo in the second sentence of the thing.

I agree with you guys, though I suppose the ideal solution would be some way to choose the level spectrum for yourself. I like when I summon people just around my level, that I feel we are going in on the same conditions.

That being said, I was really bummed out when I couldn't coop with a friend because he was 20 levels beyond me, and as we both wanted to go further, that divide kept on rising.

So, all in all I say cool. However, as also said, it would be wonderful to be able to choose for yourself.

Sentient6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sentient6

@demoskinos said:

This is an online game with coop and pvp. Balance is the most important thing in any game and when it's online, even more so. The article does a pretty good job at explaining why being able to summoning someone 20x your level is extremely damaging to the community.

Also does anyone know how to make a link clickable?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@sentient6: And again... its up the the player themselves to engage with this. You don't want to then don't. The fucking stupid elitism around these games is just insufferable.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

@demoskinos said:

This is an online game with coop and pvp. Balance is the most important thing in any game and when it's online, even more so. The article does a pretty good job at explaining why being able to summoning someone 20x your level is extremely damaging to the community.

Also does anyone know how to make a link clickable?

The coop is again only for password-specific summons. If someone wants to summon someone around their level they still can. The PVP was busted to begin with at that. Invading somebody only to find yourself squaring against three players is already a steep hill to climb. It's even worse when they're potentially much higher level, but you're already at such a disadvantage anyway that it doesn't really matter that much.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play with my friends regardless of our levels. So I think this is great.

I have never liked PvP in souls games FWIW.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This sounds pretty good to me.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is actually sad is that the are real people out there whose self worth is determined by their ability to beat a videogame for Christ's sake. The part of these communities that's so cool is helpfulness and the speculation and the wikis and whatnot that try to get people to see what the fans have been on about for all these years. The horseshit insufferable part is people like that article's author. Kind of reminiscent of a stalker's mentality: "I love this one thing so much that ide rather kill it (or write a 3,000 word article about how it sucks) than let anyone else have it." These games are business, straight up. Doesn't really matter how much of your self worth you tie into playing and beating a videogame. For these games to get bigger and better, it requires more resources, both human and financial. And you know what that means: they need to make more money to make up for that. So if you really want From Software to only make insanely obtuse games that only a small corner of the internet talks about, then get ready to fund the kickstarter for the studio's fired employees in another few years.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ChrisTaran

Nothing about this patch sounds like a negative to me. If you're level 4 and want to someone a level 100 friend, more power to you. Don't like it? Then don't do it.

Also PVP is the worst thing about Souls games, so if this in any way hurts that, I'm all for it.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And again... its up the the player themselves to engage with this. You don't want to then don't. The fucking stupid elitism around these games is just insufferable.

What this cat said.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think it's fine. It's also nice because I have some friends that I wanted to play co-op with, but I was always WAY higher level than they were because of how much more of the game I had played. I even started a whole new character and purposefully kept the level low-ish so I would be in summon range of my friend. Not that we ever actually got around to playing, because my friend is always super busy. Either way, I think this is a good change.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

When you decided to summon someone you are already giving up on the challenge of beating that boss by yourself. It doesn't really matter if you summon someone at your level or someone who's 50 levels higher than you as they could probably beat the boss by themselves and would prefer you stay somewhere off in the corner so you don't accidentally die and waste their time.

It has ZERO impact on PVP since people who PVP stay at a specific level range and everyone in those ranges have maxed out gems and runes.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I can't believe that FS haven't blocked off invasion when using this feature. Because a) a player using this feature doesn't want a challenge b) it could be used to break pvp all together when a lvl120 summons an op lvl400 just to troll the poor souls who stepped in their world.

I said it before and i'll say it again this feature should have been made available first for chalice dungeons to push players into playing it.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm glad they finally did this. It's irritating when my single player experience is policed by the developer. If I want to summon my level 400 friend to kill a boss in one shot that I am stuck on, then so be it.

Just put in restrictions like, he's your level when he joins your game. I never understand why these things aren't in the game to begin with.