The Tips and Tricks Thread (Minor spoilers)

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By militantfreudian

I realise that the thrill of discovery -- whether it's new locations, items or a way to kill an enemy -- is one of the best aspects about these games. That said, Bloodborne, like its predecessors, has many secrets and hidden items. The starting area for instance is pretty complex and has several shortcuts and concealed pathways. To top it all, it is just as challenging as the Souls games.

So I thought we should create a 'tips and tricks' thread similar to this one, where you can share the location of a useful item, explain certain mechanics, etc. Also, don't forget to use the spoilers tag when necessary.

So, here goes.

1) The dogs in this game are more lethal and just as annoying; stunning them with the blunderbuss makes killing them easier.

2) If you chose the Hunter Axe as your starting weapon, try these combos: [default state] R1 once or twice, L1, and then R1 again. Or [transformed] R2 then R1.

3) This is more of a starting-guide type of thing, but you can find a decent "armor" set early on:

After you reach the bridge with the wolves, head down the first staircase. There's a pathway on the left concealed by barrels and boxes. Break through them and head down the ladders. The enemies down there are a bit tougher, so watch out, especially for the werewolves with the pole weapon. Go down the ladder leading to the sewers, and then head right. There's a body guarded by a werewolf in the end. You can either go back from where you came, or continue to unlock a shortcut to the sewers. If you do continue, on your way out of the sewers, there's an item that gives you Insight, which can be used to unlock levelling up.

militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4) In the equip menu, you can use the L2 and R2 buttons to cycle through slots.

5) Look for places where you can drop from in Old Yharnam; there are several shortcuts and a secret room.

And oh, yeah, bump.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

For anyone who's wondering "How do I level up?" click below

Die (or beat? - I died and it happened. I assume the same will if you beat him) at the Cleric Beast (Giant monster at the end of the bridge.) After that you'll wake up in the Hunter's Dream and the doll will have come to life and will level you up for the rest of the game.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By donchipotle

For anyone who's wondering "How do I level up?" click below

Die (or beat? - I died and it happened. I assume the same will if you beat him) at the Cleric Beast (Giant monster at the end of the bridge.) After that you'll wake up in the Hunter's Dream and the doll will have come to life and will level you up for the rest of the game.

The requirements for leveling up is to have at least one Insight, which you get when meeting a boss. Or you could go to the sewers near the bridge leading to the Cleric Beast and find an item that gives you Insight allowing you to level up before the first boss.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

3) This is more of a starting-guide type of thing, but you can find a decent "armor" set early on:

Or you can just save up something like 5k blood echoes and buy the set from the shop in the Hunter's Dream. It's dramatically better than your starting armor, and a bit better than the set that you mentioned.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: Oh, ok. Thanks for the correction. Some of the mechanics are still shrouded in mystery for me.

militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By militantfreudian

@nophilip: I'm guessing it has better resistances? I didn't buy it because the it had slightly lower physical defence. I wish there was an easier way of comparing your equipped gear with the ones in the shop. Also, I think you can get it for 2500 echoes, so even better.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@nophilip said:

Or you can just save up something like 5k blood echoes and buy the set from the shop in the Hunter's Dream. It's dramatically better than your starting armor, and a bit better than the set that you mentioned.

Not true. The buyable set has better "status effect" resistances but is lower defense versus most attack types. I have gotten pretty far in the game and found like 5-6 armor sets by now and they are all fairly sidegradey and none of them are clearly "better" than the others in an overall general sense.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My tip is get used to partying with the gun early. The bigger, intimidating enemies become much, MUCH easier if you successfully parry the fuck out of them

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@secondpersonshooter: I've been partying with the gun early and late. Love me a good gun party no matter what the sun's doing.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A small but hopefully useful tip - once you unlock the workshop tool make sure to check that your weapons don't need repairing. I was so deep into the game that I completely forgot and right in the middle of a boss battle my whip/cane broke and it was goodnight. It doesn't cost much to repair items.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By handlas

Anyone wanna give me a tip on where I'm suppose to be going? Ive beaten 4 bosses at the first headstone. I beat the witches at the second headstone. I cant find a new path to follow at this point that isnt blocked by a locked door. The second headstone I only have 2 lamps lit and yet there are no new paths to follow from what I can find.... Ive searched around 3 times.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: I assume you've beaten Vicar Amelia? If you've explored around the Cathedral Ward you may have found a locked door requiring a password. By beating the aforementioned boss, you now have that password. I think I got stuck at that same point, I didn't realize that I knew the password after the fight.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue said:

@handlas: I assume you've beaten Vicar Amelia? If you've explored around the Cathedral Ward you may have found a locked door requiring a password. By beating the aforementioned boss, you now have that password. I think I got stuck at that same point, I didn't realize that I knew the password after the fight.

okay that sounds familiar. Thanks!

militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By militantfreudian
@handlas said:

Anyone wanna give me a tip on where I'm suppose to be going?

If you've beaten the Blood-starved Beast, then I'm assuming you haven't been to the Grand Cathedral. In which case, you have to buy a handkerchief from the Messengers in the Hunter's Dream that costs 10k echoes. Then go to the Cathedral Ward, and take the left door. Go up the staircase that's being patrolled by the giant enemy; you'll be able to unlock the gate.

If you've beaten Vicar Amelia, then I'm assuming that haven't been to Old Yharnam. In which case, go to the Cathedral Ward, then take the door on the left. Don't go up the stairs that lead to the cathedral; head straight. There's a staircase that leads to a tomb/chapel. You should find your way from there. However,

There's an npc (covenant leader) in Old Yharnam that becomes hostile, unless you kill a certain boss before encountering him. I'm not quite sure where to go exactly to get to that boss.

Edit: I forgot that Old Yharnam is an optional area.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By overnow

This is something I found useful personally. From what I've heard a lot of people did these areas/bosses in a different order, so much so that the wiki sites tend to number them in the reverse order that I did it, however I think my way might actually be more ideal.

So, I beat the optional boss (boss #3 aka the blood starved beast) before I did #4 Vicar Amelia. I still found Amelia a bit too hard so I wanted to level up a bit and wound up going to an optional area close to that #4 Hemlock, off to the left before the stairs to Amelia. There I got a ton of souls from enemies I found pretty easy and beat the next optional boss the witch of hemlock and which leads to you being able to use any runes you may have found, so I got to level up and I got an item that is very useful. I have yet to go back to Amelia, but I'm hoping this will be helpful, and I can always get more echoes from that area if it isn't.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here's something that has been helping me a lot lately, it might not be for everybody, but once I adjusted to it I couldn't go back: in the PS4 accessibility settings, switch the button mappings for L1 and O. It does mean that you'll have to use L1 to back out of menus and use O to transform your weapon, but it also allows you to run and dodge without taking your thumb off of the right stick or contorting your hand. Now that I can look around and run/dodge at the same time I feel a lot more mobile in boss fights.

superdomino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any tips for One Reborn? Ive tried just hanging out right under it and slashing its exposed giggly red bits. Works well but once it hits 1/4 health the poison floor + fireballs kill me. It seems like if I kill the enemies at the top first, the boss gets harder because when I do that I cant get it below 1/2.

Obbeskrutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdomino: Killing of the witches at the upper floor makes the fight way easier, as you don't have to deal with the constant fireball plinking.

Once all six of them is dead, head down and position yourself so that you hit the side of the boss. Start stabbing away, look out for the basic attacks and stuff. When the puking begin, back away, clear some distance between yourself and the boss and make sure the puke despawn before charging back in. Repeat 'till dead.

One Reborn is fairly easy. Just make sure to position yourself at the side and most of his attacks can't even reach you.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also when he lurches over hit his weak point for massive damage (little dude on top).

superdomino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pkmango7: Hit the crab for massive damage. Got it.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 sweep  Moderator

If you start with the Cane, swapping it over to it's whip form and then doing the heavy lunge attack (Forward + R2) gives both ridiculous range and damage. Good way to kill a lot of the enemies you don't want to be in close proximity to, like the bagmen or the brick ogres.