What Moment Were You Hooked? (Spoilers)

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sure, like many of you I was instantly hooked on the idea of a new Souls series game. From minute one I was enjoying myself, including during the 3 deaths I had in the first 10 minutes.

But it wasn't until last night when I was knee deep in a werewolf coven inside of a cavernous church swinging my bladed whip and yelling (to no one in particular) "THIS HOUSE SHALL BE CLEANSED!" while dressed as a priest quickly becoming more and more drenched in blood that I realized I was playing both the best amalgamation of Castlevania and Van Helsing ever put to my television screen.

I don't know how I could ever go back to fantasy after this pure gothic/victorian nightmare wonderland.

So I ask you duders, what are your favorite moments so far?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

When fighting one of the final bosses', I was enjoying myself tremendously as it felt like the Souls of old. Getting my ass handed to me until I figured it out properly.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Right around the point it kind of stopped being about vanilla werewolves/beasts and strayed more into outright Cthulhu territory.

Also, Chalice Dungeons, which somehow ended up being the modern Diablo I always wanted.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CaLe

Being hooked at a particular moment wasn't even a thing for me with the previous games, I put them in my console and played until the credits rolled, sleeping only when my eyes couldn't stay open any longer. This one however, I've had it suspended on my PS4 longer than I've been playing it. I still don't know where it's going to rank for me. It hasn't captivated me, yet I think it does play a lot better and suits how I play these games much better. I think with the previous games I always felt I could go somewhere and find something to do, but with Bloodborne I seem to only have one direction I can go and finding that direction happens by accident rather than by intuition. I didn't really start enjoying DS2 until I got to that big castle at night, forget the name, so maybe the same will happen for me with this and it'll surpass my enjoyment of its predecessors.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was exploring the Hunter's Dream and noticed how to continue was via the Headstones. I was so happy for a return to a more Demon's Souls formula that I was ecstatic.

I find it interesting people can figure out how to leave the Hunter's Dream, which was the last thing I figured out, without finding their weapon. Why wouldn't you read all the tutorial messages, even if you've played other Souls games? The mechanics are different enough that they'd be helpful.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Difficult to say, was mildly irritated for about 6 or 7 hours after I died to the PS4 dashboard popping up randomly, then it just kept getting better and better over time and hasn't gotten old since.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Having played all of the Souls games I knew what I liked and what I expected, once I realised how similar Bloodborne was it quickly pulled me in and I was hooked from the start. What's kept me playing so much is the ever changing enemy types and the disgustingly decadent environments, I just arrived in Bygenwerth and things have gotten very interesting, I can feel the game grip more tightly.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not far into it. Have probably spent 10+ hours on the game and I feel like I might be nearing Bloodborne's third boss (following the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne).

You know, I wasn't really feeling it until just after defeating Father Gasciogne, which was an out-and-out clusterfuck thanks to the camera constantly clipping through/past the headstones in the cemetery. Now that I'm fairly comfortable with the parry/visceral attack system, I'm really enjoying the pace of the combat. But, also, I feel like I'm rushing past a lot of things unknowingly. I blew through the Cathedral Ward and reached Old Yharnam within minutes of killing Gasciogne. Some of that is due in respect to my comfort level with the game's combat, but I'm just not very afraid of the challenges the game has presented me with to this point. Dudes, dogs, even those hulking giants with the ball-and-chain. I'm rolling circles around these guys and not taking any sort of beating whatsoever.

I still feel like bullets are too hard to come by. I find myself having to spend a lot of Blood Echoes to restock my supply, simply because enemies just don't seem to drop them readily.

But I've certainly hit that point of idly thinking about Bloodborne throughout the day. The same way I mull about my workday thinking about Dark Souls strategies or boss fights back when I'd only just started having my first Souls experience.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LawGamer

@historyinrust said:

I still feel like bullets are too hard to come by. I find myself having to spend a lot of Blood Echoes to restock my supply, simply because enemies just don't seem to drop them readily.

You know you can sacrifice health for 5 temporary bullets, right? If you do that before an easy enemy you can get your bullets and then get your health right back.

Also, the forested area to the left of the main cathedral is thick with gun toting dudes. Each one is good for 3-4 bullets. If you farm that area, you'll fill up your stash in no time.

I guess what I'm saying is, you should never, ever-ever need to spend souls Blood Echoes on bullets. Spend it on levels instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

@historyinrust said:

You know you can sacrifice health for 5 temporary bullets, right? If you do that before an easy enemy you can get your bullets and then get your health right back.

Also, the forested area to the left of the main cathedral is thick with gun toting dudes. Each one is good for 3-4 bullets. If you farm that area, you'll fill up your stash in no time.

I guess what I'm saying is, you should never, ever-ever need to spend souls Blood Echoes on bullets. Spend it on levels instead.

Okay. Good to know. Haven't made it to the forested area quite yet. Do I need an item to sacrifice health for bullets, or is that just a thing I can rely on whenever?

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@historyinrust: Just press up on the d-pad. It takes maybe 1/4-1/3 of your health to do, but it's orange health, so if you're near an easy enemy, you can whale on it and get the health right back.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the game started.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

When I found aliens in a forest.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Father Gascoigne. The intense, savage, kill-or-be-killed feeling during that fight is super refreshing as a Souls fan. Reminded me of an Artorias on crack.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Byrgenwyrth.

Well, if we're being specific it was encountering a guy whose head exploded into snakes like he was in Resident Evil 4 on the way to Byrgenwyrth.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old Yarnham moment with the gatling gun "that is why i must stop you" ,and retreating like HELL to the horrifying underground church avoiding Gyula.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Seikenfreak

Didn't have a particular moment I don't think. For the most part it's just like the other games which is okay with me so I was good to go.

Sounds dumb but maybe it was loading into the clinic the first time and thinking it looks amazing? So its just a Souls game again but looks even better? I'm dtf. All the detail and atmosphere.

I think its dumb that people whine about these consoles not being an upgrade or powerful enough. These games look fantastic.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Forbidden woods is when I started getting chills sent down my spine. Moonside Lake is where I became fully in love with it. And then everything afterwards solidified it as a masterpiece in my eyes.