#1 Edited by isomeri (1245 posts) -

After years of searching I was ready to give up. I thought it had disappeared to the vastness of the internet. But finally after all this time of I have found a working source for the Electric Showdown. Here it is. For those in the know I suggest you go watch it before it gets taken down or just disappears. Or if no for other reason, Del Taco and sweet Midnight Brown beats.

For those not in the know, let me take you back to the distant future of E3 2005. Star Wars: Episode III has just hit the cinemas, J Allard still belives in the Tribe, and Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are ready to announce the next generation of video game consoles to the world. Electric Showdown documents the E3 experience of GameSpot at the time. And yes that means that Jeff, Ryan, Alex, Brad, Rorie and a lot of old-school GameSpot cats hit the show floor with notepads at hand. Remember them write-ups!

It was really interesting to watch this again after so many years and I think that the documentary really gives context to how much (or how little) the industry's changed in the last eight years.

@benny also found a link for Stupid Pants Operation which was filmed one year earlier at E3 2004.

Drop a Bomb on it!

PS: The documentary was initially sold on DVD through GameSpot. It's not sold anywhere anymore so I'm hoping that a hammer's not going to fall down on me for spreading this. No intent to violate copyright on my part and I would be happy to pay for a copy of this.

#2 Posted by von_wemberg (162 posts) -

A really nostalgic trip, thanks! Was a GameSpot member back then, but didn't consume a lot of E3 coverage,

#3 Posted by Demodocus (237 posts) -

Wow, they didn't give the 360 a chance did they.

#4 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

Never saw this. It was pretty awesome seeing the contrast between last generations reveal and this one. Interesting to see what was different and what stayed the same. They may not be setting up a whole booth, but Jeff still has trouble sleeping cause he's excited. I know its probably beyond what they're capable of doing right now but I would love to see some behind the scenes content for their e3 preparation now that they work at Giantbomb.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

25:18 - Greg Kasavin: "...giant bombs are gonna drop."

What a prescient comment.

#6 Posted by Bollard (5396 posts) -

Perfect time to post this, never seen it before, will watch with interest.

#7 Edited by csl316 (8349 posts) -

This is neat. Great fashion choices.

And holy crap, Jeff was excited about that press conference. That's changed a bit.

Also, I would pay Gamespot for another feature like this. Or another amazing Drew video.

#8 Edited by wjb (1653 posts) -

Thanks for finding this. I remember waiting weeks after E3 back then for them to release the documentary on Gamespot; I remember taking that week off to watch the live-streams all day, only to stop for food, bathroom, and one night when I went to see Star Wars Episode III with friends. We were so dumb back then thinking PS3 and Twilight Princess were the best things going. I miss the Gamespot and 1up days.

I still think I prefer "Stupid Pants Operation" -- the shortened documentary from the year before -- but this was awesome. I kind of wish Giant Bomb had their own professionally made documentary (at E3 or somewhere else). Granted, these days press people are a lot more transparent than they were back then, but I would pay money for one.

#10 Edited by Aegon (5470 posts) -

Things were so different back then. It feels so weird. It was only 8 years ago, but it feels like another era. Ridiculous clothing choices abound.

#11 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

I'd never seen this before and it was actually really interesting, especially when you compare it to the new consoles coming out. Also, like a couple people above mentioned, I'd love to see a Giant Bomb focused E3 documentary, especially after seeing what Drew did with the Iceland video.

#12 Edited by Angouri (231 posts) -

This is pretty great. I dare people to go watch the E3 Sony press conference from 2005. It looks like a bad Powerpoint presentation. They even mention the number of transistors! SO MANY TRANSISTORS.

It's great also to see the parallels to the current console press conferences. The 360 was a reach to broaden the gaming community, while the PS3 was an appeal to the core (and BluRay...).

Also, scary to think what I was doing in 2005, when Jeff and Ryan were still being redic on Gamespot.

#13 Edited by isomeri (1245 posts) -

Also, Ryan needs to bring back the Fu.

#14 Posted by MrT (162 posts) -

Interesting

#15 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

Wow! Thanks for putting that up.

It's really funny watching Alex and a few of the other GS guys getting excited over the Killzone 2 trailer.

#16 Edited by isomeri (1245 posts) -

@oraknabo said:

It's really funny watching Alex and a few of the other GS guys getting excited over the Killzone 2 trailer.

I'm not sure if the industry's grown up or we have, but I do miss a lot of that giddy excitement that used to be prevalent during E3. The Killzone 2 trailer, the Sony press conference as well as Zelda were all terribly exciting at the time although afterwards we all sort of came to our senses and saw those in their real light. I mean Jeff saying that the Sony presser was "The most epic press conference I think I've ever been to" and as @angouri said it now looks like some college PowerPoint presentation.

I miss the batshit crazy E3 of years past even though this new model of handling things is admittedly a lot more efficient.

#17 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Youtube of full documentary?

#18 Posted by isomeri (1245 posts) -

@zero_ said:

Youtube of full documentary?

It's not on YouTube but you can watch or download it from the link in the first post.

#19 Edited by Liam89 (32 posts) -

Dude thanks so much , didn't even know this existed until now. Awesome effort on your behalf.

#20 Posted by OrangeSponge (53 posts) -

@von_wemberg said:

A really nostalgic trip, thanks! Was a GameSpot member back then, but didn't consume a lot of E3 coverage,

Same, this was a interesting and nostalgic look back at Gamespot and the old gang.

#21 Posted by Benny (1950 posts) -
#22 Edited by Pie (7073 posts) -

Awesome, will have to watch this in a bit

#23 Edited by isomeri (1245 posts) -
#24 Posted by NickNotch (68 posts) -

@benny: @pie: @isomeri: Is that video working for you guys? After the age-gate I just get a black box.

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14724 posts) -

oh sweet! Im so going to watch this once I get home. Seeing gamestop stuff before giantbomb always freaks me out. It wasn't THAT long ago that they were all working there still but man seems like a lifetime ago.

#26 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (1024 posts) -
#27 Edited by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -

It's amazing how big of a deal it seemed to be, I had never even heard of Gamespot until a few years ago when I started coming here.

#28 Posted by Reisz (1478 posts) -

That's awesome, thanks for getting your hands on it. I remember all the coverage from E3 '05 and it's wild to think how much the industry has grown since then. Every now and then you feel like things are the same way they've always been and then you see something like this and it really goes to show things have gone through some big changes.

Good stuff.

#29 Posted by BaconGames (3358 posts) -

I was just thinking the other day about GameSpot and this video single-handedly reminded me of why I loved them back in those days. This is almost too much nostalgia to take at once.

#30 Edited by HeavyDuty32 (305 posts) -

Man, they were all so young and oddly less cynical! Hadn't quite been crushed by the industry yet, I guess :)

#31 Edited by onyxghost (305 posts) -

Rad

#32 Posted by Benny (1950 posts) -
#33 Edited by BaconGames (3358 posts) -

Man, Kasavin says it all at around 36 minutes in the Stupid Pants Operation video. Fascinating to get that kind of knowledge dropped in 2004. I can't imagine the booth babe and like ridiculousness years prior or during its early Atlanta days. Damn shame the progress forward from there was decidedly slow but it's always awesome for someone like me to get that kind of commentary historically situated.

Actually if I remember correctly GS, Jeff and Ryan specifically, always had the stance that if you're there to do anything other than to cover and consume games, you're a waste of time for everyone involved. For years and years at GS they would scold any and all who would stop to get a picture with a "booth babe" or care about free stuff. Again, kinda can't handle the nostalgia right now.

EDIT: This all still solidifies my position that the video game industry has been and continues to be fucking weird.

#34 Edited by Sgtpierceface (616 posts) -

Damn it! Are you telling me that all the way back in 2005 they were making awesome "Giant Bomb-esque" content?! I missed out on so much!

#35 Edited by Sargus (726 posts) -

@isomeri said:

PS: The documentary was initially sold on DVD through GameSpot. It's not sold anywhere anymore so I'm hoping that a hammer's not going to fall down on me for spreading this. No intent to violate copyright on my part and I would be happy to pay for a copy of this.

Both were eventually made free to download on GameSpot itself, so I don't think you need to worry about it.

::EDIT:: Also, these two documentaries played a big role in me saying during high school, "Man, it would be AWESOME to work for GameSpot."

Now I freelance for them. Dreams at least sort of come true.

#36 Posted by Sgtpierceface (616 posts) -

Also, this is incredibly fascinating. Jeff uses the word "epic" unironically! About the PS3 no less!

#37 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

God I was 16. I remember so vividly: crazy street vendor yelling at Jeff, "hey Ecko! Yo Ecko! Got that Ecko man! Got that watch for Ecko! Got that Ecko watch!" and Jeff just completely ignoring him, nose in the air like Hunter Helmsley.

#38 Posted by stubbleman (306 posts) -

loving that MC Chris playing in the car. I had to do a double take because I thought I was imagining it.

#39 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Dying to watch this video, but can't get it to load for whatever reason

#40 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Dying to watch this video, but can't get it to load for whatever reason

I'm Dropboxing the 2004 one now.

#41 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Awesome!

#42 Edited by wjb (1653 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@oraknabo said:

I'm not sure if the industry's grown up or we have, but I do miss a lot of that giddy excitement that used to be prevalent during E3. The Killzone 2 trailer, the Sony press conference as well as Zelda were all terribly exciting at the time although afterwards we all sort of came to our senses and saw those in their real light. I mean Jeff saying that the Sony presser was "The most epic press conference I think I've ever been to" and as @angouri said it now looks like some college PowerPoint presentation.

I miss the batshit crazy E3 of years past even though this new model of handling things is admittedly a lot more efficient.

I think back then, everyone knew next to nothing about the PS3 before that conference and the Playstation brand was the biggest thing going for the past 10 years. I kind of enjoy these preview events like the one this past February, but it also kind of takes away from the excitement of E3.

I think the industry grew up, but also everyone became more transparent thanks to Twitter and routine video content. I remember we'd be lucky to get an hour of the Hotspot on Tuesdays and an hour of On the Spot on Thursdays. Other than video reviews or the occasional video feature and blog post on their respective Gamespot account, we'd hardly hear anything from anyone like Jeff or Ryan. No Twitter, Tumblr, or Twitch. Also, it didn't help when, at the time, Gamespot was fairly insular and didn't openly interact with other gaming press sites/magazines like everyone does now. I thought it was a big deal when Jeff and Ryan made an appearance on the last 1up Yours podcast (I think), because they were just starting Giant Bomb at the time. It's far better now, but like Jeff said in a Jar Time video, it's weird when regular people are asking about times for embargoes or whatever.

Also, for those having issues: I couldn't bring it up on Chrome, but switched to Firefox and it was fine. I don't know if that helps or not?

#43 Posted by Nights (609 posts) -

That guy at around 1:34:40 was pretty spot on about mobile gaming.

#44 Edited by isomeri (1245 posts) -

@sargus said:

@isomeri said:

Both were eventually made free to download on GameSpot itself, so I don't think you need to worry about it.

::EDIT:: Also, these two documentaries played a big role in me saying during high school, "Man, it would be AWESOME to work for GameSpot."

Now I freelance for them. Dreams at least sort of come true.

I remember them being available for free at one point on GameSpot, but thought that was a limited-time thing or something. Congratulations for latching onto your dreams duder! This kind of content on GameSpot was a huge inspiration for me as well. I did get a freelancing job a few years ago, but sort of fell out of the industry because of my studies and I had to find a different better paying job.

@nights said:

That guy at around 1:34:40 was pretty spot on about mobile gaming.

I noticed the same thing. Hopefully that guy is a millionaire investor at this point.