• 103 results
#1 Posted by SMurfspunk (6 posts) -

new intro

Not too sure if this is the correct forum to show this in but I thought I would show what I spent the last couple of days working on while mainlining Breaking Brad Demon Souls . I am a long time lurker but only just subbed recently wanted to say hello to everyone and get everyone's opinions on this piece love it or hate it. Just wanted to give the original intro a bit of a freshening up while still keeping it similar to the original. I have plans for all of the various intros if the community interest is there Thanks all.

#2 Edited by Hamst3r (4530 posts) -

Nice. :D

A preview for the link-weary:

#3 Edited by Corevi (4018 posts) -

The 3D Bomb looks weird, especially when it "blinks" by making it's eye smaller.

I think translating the Giant Bomb logo to 3D just doesn't work even with a great attempt like this.

#4 Edited by Original_Hank (126 posts) -

What is official Giant Bomb cannon? Is it a giant mouth or a giant tongue? I need to know this. Also looks rad! I like how it bounces around.

#5 Posted by Dussck (307 posts) -

It's clearly not a tongue, just the inner mouth being red. It's open, because the bomb is excited, not sticking it's tongue out like it's saying "whatever, it's all silly".

:D rather then :p

#6 Edited by Irvandus (2882 posts) -

Huh, I've always seen it as a tongue. This is like when I was seven and found out the D in the Disney logo wasn't a G.

#7 Posted by Branthog (5583 posts) -
@dussck said:

It's clearly not a tongue, just the inner mouth being red. It's open, because the bomb is excited, not sticking it's tongue out like it's saying "whatever, it's all silly".

I would say it is clearly a tongue, because it extends beyond the confines of the head.

#8 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5823 posts) -

I've always seen it as the bomb sticking out it's tongue, rather than it being it's elongated mouth.

That's really awesome duder. Looks super sleek. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff does something with that.

#9 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3396 posts) -

Fantastic work! Very slick presentation.

#10 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

This is awesome.

#11 Edited by SMurfspunk (6 posts) -

thanks all for the interest so far. had no idea that that 2014 would be the year that the Tonguegate scandal would kick off this hard. Ha.

To be 100% honest I totally can see it going either way. the couple hours worth of render time may be nudging me in that direction. I just started cranking away on it and a tongue fit more animation wise. and frankly no tongue just seems a little TASTELESS(boo)Thanks to all for the great comments still looking forward to much more tongue/mouth debate. Pick your sides now

Comments and suggestions are still always welcome. I am looking forward to possibly continuing the process of "refreshing" some of the other existing intros. its time for bed

#12 Posted by KaneRobot (1707 posts) -

Looks good.

#13 Posted by Dross (309 posts) -

I love it. I hope the site uses it, or at least a version of it.

#15 Posted by TheHT (11549 posts) -

What?! It's clearly a mouth. Don't be crazy.

It's sticking off the head because cartoons. It's overlapping and pointing into the eye because... top men.

Also it's totally been redesigned. Well maybe redesigned is an overstatement. The shine from the bomb's top and side was removed, the star was changed (with a glow added), the details on the fuse removed, the tongue (?) at the bottom of the mouth changed (looks less like a tongue now), a little platform for the fuse was added, and the mouth doesn't stick into the eye as much. Text is different as well. Looks smoother and doesn't seem to have the shadow anymore. Also appears to be a subtle gradient on each word.

Didn't notice they touched it up, looks a lot better now!

Anyways, this is pretty cool dude! I like the bounce to the text. The Bomb looks a little freaky though.

#16 Posted by aurahack (2281 posts) -

That 3D bomb is freaking me out some but god damn that looks nice and clean. Super-cool stuff, dude!!

#17 Posted by Flavbot (107 posts) -
@branthog said:
@dussck said:

I would say it is clearly a tongue, because it extends beyond the confines of the head.

I asked Dave... let's settle this once and for all:

#18 Posted by Dussck (307 posts) -

Must be kind of painful to answer such question as a designer, but yea, like I said, always saw it like a mouth :)

To be more on topic; aside from the tongue, I really like the animation!

#19 Posted by Flavbot (107 posts) -

@dussck said:

Must be kind of painful to answer such question as a designer, but yea, like I said, always saw it like a mouth :)

To be more on topic; aside from the tongue, I really like the animation!

Yea it's really great. Awesome job SMurfspunk!

#20 Posted by The_Nubster (2271 posts) -

Looks good! I think it should be a little bit less "animated," in terms of it jiggling around like jelly. Giving it some eyelids instead of the eyes just shrinking would look a little better, too. Great work, duder.

#21 Posted by JordanaRama (208 posts) -

This is pretty legit. Nicely done.

#22 Posted by Tearhead (2186 posts) -

That's amazing! Great job!

#23 Posted by HammondofTexas (773 posts) -

Well done! I like it!

#24 Posted by InsiderGamer (78 posts) -

Great work, love it.

Question for you, did you up the treble (?) of the sound a bit? The "dun-duuuun!" sounds a little different. I do like it though!

#25 Posted by PimblyCharles (1580 posts) -

@flavbot: Always thought it was a tongue. Good to know, thanks for settling this age long debate!

@smurfspunk I really REALLY like this intro you made. Like many others, I also think the 3D Bomb is a little disturbing, but in a good way. The transition between the text is awesome.

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13240 posts) -

It's good, I like it.

Except for the tongue!

#27 Posted by pinner458 (809 posts) -

That's kind of amazing.

#28 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3599 posts) -

@flavbot said:
@branthog said:
@dussck said:

This clearly makes me now question things in my life. There is no god.

#29 Posted by Splodge (1770 posts) -

It has to be a tongue. There's no way its some kind of outside mouth. I also asked Jeff on his tumblr. Inquiring minds need to know.

#30 Posted by Sterling (2498 posts) -

I like the intro duder, great job!

#31 Posted by SMurfspunk (6 posts) -

So sounds like I have to figure out a solution that transfers into 3D and still looks decent for the mouth.. the Eye blinks sound like people have issue with as well so maybe i will try and build in some lids. Any other ideas folks. if it has to be redone then now is the time.

#32 Posted by Shortbreadtom (827 posts) -

Why change the eyes to looking up instead of straight out the screen? I like everything but that change

#33 Edited by CornBREDX (5646 posts) -

The animation itself is rough, but I approve of the concept you're going for with this.

It maintains the spirit of the original opening while giving it a bit of flair or whatever.

Cool concept- better than I expected really.

#34 Posted by Eladren (112 posts) -

@flavbot said:
@branthog said:
@dussck said:

This clearly makes me now question things in my life. There is no god.

but there is hardcore Dave, and we can all take solace in that

#35 Posted by Eli (347 posts) -

I like it. Well done.

#36 Posted by KaneRobot (1707 posts) -

Fist bump for all my rad bros who were on Team Open Mouth Not A Tongue with me.

#37 Posted by slyspider (1305 posts) -

Holy poop that's awesome!

#38 Posted by Yummylee (22116 posts) -

!!!

@marino You know that new sound you're looking for...

#39 Posted by myketuna (1728 posts) -

Fist bump for all my rad bros who were on Team Open Mouth Not A Tongue with me.

*fist bump*

Tongue? Really, guys?

#40 Edited by Datajack (132 posts) -

Very good work. Only personal issue that makes it a little unnerving would be the eye focus between the text transitions. Currently showing both straight up on BOMB and LOOK, would perhaps suggest when it first fades in both eyes start at the 9 oclock position, roll clockwise to the 12 oclock position, then text transition to LOOK with both pupils coming down and pointing straight ahead. Wink periods seem just fine.

And as a wish list item, purely optional...within the "flotsam" bits when it first comes on and at text transition, you have a little bit of a label shown as "Score 150". Would ask if not too much of an issue and just as subtly the same font size...perhaps stick a little "Baller Time" in there. Just adding my 2cents.

#41 Posted by wrecks (2290 posts) -

Cool video thing! Oh and... #TEAMTONGUE

#42 Posted by devine1210 (33 posts) -

I don't like how shiny the bomb looks. I would prefer it being just a matt black. But that's just me. However, I really like how the bomb slides over when it transitions from "Giant Bomb" to "Quick Look" so that the fuse lines up with the "I's".

#43 Posted by Brendan (7846 posts) -

I think this would be better as a cartoon than as a 3D object, but as an achievement what you made is freaking fantastic. Good job dude.

#44 Posted by Marino (4736 posts) -

@smurfspunk: That's pretty awesome. You're on the front page of the site now.

Staff
#45 Posted by two_socks (232 posts) -

This is super rad! Wasn't Jeff talking a while back about wanting to update bumpers and the podcast art too

#46 Posted by Accolade (344 posts) -

I just need the sound to be the same.

#47 Edited by Grillbar (1877 posts) -

1. i prefer the old version although there could be changes for different features much like in the way way back machine, where they had different colours and what not.
2. i think a 3d logo like you did is really hard to make without looking crap. not only in general but also for the long run. unless the plan was to change it regularly to something else, kinda like what the bombcast banner used to like.
3. im definatly not crapping on what you have done its pretty damn good. i just personally dont think it would hold up in the long run. for the easons i have already stated. granted that my opinion and i think the only major problem i got with it is the 3d thing. the animation and all is pretty damn good.

i feel like shit for saying it because i feel like comming off as crapping on what you have done and that was definatly not my intention. my intention was to give constructive critisism.
so let me point it out one last time for prince knud (its a saying in my contry so bare with me) youre work is awesome

#48 Posted by Stimpack (902 posts) -

The 3D Bomb looks weird, especially when it "blinks" by making it's eye smaller.

I think translating the Giant Bomb logo to 3D just doesn't work even with a great attempt like this.

I agree. It's kind of dipping into the uncanny valley. Is that possible to do with an anthropomorphic bomb?

#49 Posted by development (2450 posts) -

@dussck said:

This is actually worth noting.

#50 Edited by bemusedchunk (701 posts) -

I like it!

But Jeff has stated that the red part is a mouth - not a tongue.

Edit: Proof