• 52 results
#1 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

I'm currently streaming Random Access Memories over iTunes and it sounds like an album that was designed to be listened through analog means such as vinyl or DAT tapes.

Part of this has to do with the sheer production value that has gone into recording all the instruments. It has a very organic sound replete with rhodes keyboards, thick bass lines, and sparkling guitars

I personally quite like it.

what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -

I'd get Random Access Memories on vinyl, but that requires me to have a record player.

Maybe I should buy a record player.

#4 Edited by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo: i got one at radio shack/the source for 20 bucks. it connects to my pc for sampling music and stuff. its not really set to be playing full albums. Honestly I would be satisfied with CDQ on really good speakers.

#5 Edited by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -

I think that Vinyl sounds great the first time you listen to it, its too bad that the quality declines with use. I would rather listen to an mp3 (all my songs are FLAC) than a Vinyl that pops and crackles when you try to listen to it. I do not have any of those romantic ideals of how those imperfections add character to the songs, and never found any pleasure in sitting down to listen to an album with the liner notes either. I guess I was just born in an era when Vinyl was the old shitty media because cassettes allowed you to make mixtapes; so I figure I am too young for vinyl nostalgia and too old to think of vinyl as a way for someone to define their individuality.

#6 Edited by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

i have a problem with listening to music on vinyl. i dont enjoy the experience to be split up by having to get up and go flip the record over multiple times, and swap records... the 'nostalgic' feeling isnt there for me . . and the 'warmth' that people describe, the 'pure sound quality' is completely overshadowed by the fact that there is a constant faint crackling noise throughout the entire thing . .. . and it gets worse, and worse and worse the more you listen to the record.

i dont mistake crackle for warmth, i mistake it for a screwup in the creation of the music, or a screwup in whatever i am using to listen to it.. the cable, the headphones, the player, the speakers, what ever.. .. give me a good pair of headphones, a portable amp, and a good hi fi flac player, and let me listen to the music however and whenever i want. in whatever order i choose, without having to dink around every 15- 20 to continue the session.

#7 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

I'd strive to get as many albums as possible for vinyl, the audio quality is just beyond any other format, glad it's having it's little resurgence.

#8 Posted by Daveyo520 (6682 posts) -

I bought it on vinyl. I am an idiot, but that is for different things.

#9 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@tarsier: im fairly certain the vinyl will come with an itunes download code but i see your point.

i still think there is a certain charm to having your listening experience divided into two 40 minute segments. you get the chance to take in the music how it was intended, for better or worse. and you get to put the record on and not be distracted by the interface around the music i.e. the internet etc.

it hearkens to a different era of music consumption where people would sit on the floor of their living room and stare at the record sleeve while the music plays

#10 Edited by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

@tarsier: im fairly certain the vinyl will come with an itunes download code but i see your point.

i still think there is a certain charm to having your listening experience divided into two 40 minute segments. you get the chance to take in the music how it was intended, for better or worse. and you get to put the record on and not be distracted by the interface around the music i.e. the internet etc.

it hearkens to a different era of music consumption where people would sit on the floor of their living room and stare at the record sleeve while the music plays

i prefer to listen to music that can change my experience depending on how I WANT to listen to it. not be forced to sit around and monitor the device. also, most music is not intended to have those kind of breaks in the experience.. at least for the music i listen to, the albums are made as cohesive experiences.. not usually a "part 1 and 2" type thing..

#11 Edited by Rorie (2858 posts) -
Staff
#12 Posted by AssInAss (2619 posts) -

Not the same sub-genre, but Anamanaguchi's new album is damn amazing!

#13 Edited by Humanity (9054 posts) -

Anyone that owns vinyl and doesn't own a record player is an idiot.

#14 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

I'll stick to .flac and good headphones.

#15 Edited by Wampa1 (641 posts) -

@rorie: Votes for best goat scream? I'm going for 25 seconds in.

#17 Edited by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

I wonder how many of these people suddenly claiming Vinyls sound so much better are using gaming headphones or Apple earbuds to listen to music, regardless of the format.

Vinyls are better, there's no question there but I'm guessing most people won't know the difference anyway. Maybe I'm just too cynical.

#18 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Yeah, I get the whole analog thing, but I just don't care. I don't mind digital.

#19 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

I'd get Random Access Memories on vinyl, but that requires me to have a record player.

Maybe I should buy a record player.

You shouldn't buy a record player if you don't have any vinyls to play

#20 Edited by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

@humanity said:

How about people who vinyl with the intention to buy a record player, eventually...one of these days...honest.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6420 posts) -

@humanity said:

What about album art collectors? Huh? HUH!? :P

#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (4299 posts) -

@humanity said:

How about people who vinyl with the intention to buy a record player, eventually...one of these days...honest.

As soon as I can afford it... I swear...

#23 Edited by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

Vinyl records are awesome. I'll never buy another CD in my life, now that music is available widely in digital formats, but I sure as hell would buy records.

#24 Posted by mellotronrules (1188 posts) -

if you're a fan of the physicality of albums, vinyl records really are the best embodiment of that. and while this is just anecdotal, i find when i buy a record- i'm much more likely to just sit on the couch, have beer, and give the thing my full attention. if it's a record you really enjoy, it's pretty fantastic.

#25 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

If I had a record player then I would have bought the vinyl and people should really listen to the FLAC of RAM if you have the right sound setup. The difference in quality is whole lot more apparent than I've noticed with other music on FLAC

#26 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

if you're a fan of the physicality of albums, vinyl records really are the best embodiment of that. and while this is just anecdotal, i find when i buy a record- i'm much more likely to just sit on the couch, have beer, and give the thing my full attention. if it's a record you really enjoy, it's pretty fantastic.

agreed, using a turn table is alot nicer and demands more attention than just double clicking an mp3... I have all three versions pre-ordered though because I'm a proper idiot, itunes version, CD and vinyl....

#27 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

Well, Ryan is still an idiot, vinyl or not.

#28 Edited by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

First of all OP, I had to laugh when you said "analog means such as vinyl or DAT tapes" cause DAT stands for Digital Audio Tapes. But you know, people still say ATM machines so I guess you're off the hook.

Anyway I haven't listened to RAM yet cause my pre-amp is broken and I didn't wait 8 years to listen to the new Daft Punk on some headphones through my PC soundcard.

I like vinyl because the signal is all analog. Sound is analog coming out of speakers, no matter what, so instead of degrading the quality by going from digital to analog, I can amplify a direct signal from the vinyl into my speakers, and minimize distortion and degradation. An integrated PC or laptop soundcard is a bottleneck where a lot of quality is lost going out to the preamp.

Vinyl ain't for everybody, it's a lot more expensive and the maintenance is insane. You're forced to worry about weird shit you never considered before, like having a level desk or vinyl-specific preamp stages. The difference in quality is the reward though.

The people who strictly collect it suck the most. Some vinyl is really hard to find and if no one is enjoying the music then why the fuck did anyone bother pressing it? It's a waste to collect vinyl for the album art cause you could just as easily have a print made that's even nicer than the album itself, probably cheaper too.

#29 Posted by Brendan (7763 posts) -

Flac is good enough for me, but good for Ryan I guess? Calling someone an idiot for listening to vinyl seems extreme.

#30 Posted by coribald (312 posts) -

Calling him an idiot is ridiculous.

I'm glad I'm not an "audiophile" though, because I can listen to and enjoy 320k MP3s. Sue me.

#32 Edited by Ramone (2961 posts) -

Audiophiles are the worst.

#33 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -
@ramone said:

Yeah those assholes who want to hear audio in the highest possible quality, lets just listen to iTunes 256k downloads instead...

#34 Posted by Hamst3r (4481 posts) -

Fuck vinyl, fuck CDs and fuck FLAC.

#35 Edited by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@shagge:

@extreme_popcorn said:

@humanity said:

As soon as I can afford it... I swear...

I was being a bit harsh. I suppose if you like collecting big Vinyls as a collectors things like @shagge mentions then sure, there are worse things to collect.

But if you don't own ANY vinyls, and don't have any way to listen to them, then buying THIS on vinyl seems kinda dumb. But maybe it's a good way to jumpstart a really horrible and expensive hobby.

Like @hamst3r said, fuck analog music media, but especially fuck FLAC. 7gb large albums, get the heck out of here with that nonsense.

#36 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@coribald said:

I'm glad I'm not an "audiophile" though, because I can listen to and enjoy 320k MP3s. Sue me.

Same here. It feels good!

Now I know what being a console owner feels like when talking about the PC, hehe. Those sound elites, they're cray.

#37 Posted by mellotronrules (1188 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Fuck vinyl, fuck CDs and fuck FLAC.

haha- i get where you're coming from (the footprints of these formats- digital or physical). but you have to be the first musician i've come across who wants all his music compressed.

#38 Posted by Athadam (687 posts) -

@coribald said:

I have pretty good headphones (HD-600s, with FiiO E7 + E9 DAC/AMP) and I can not tell the difference between 320k MP3s and FLAC through blind tests.

#39 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

@ramone said:

Yeah those assholes who want to hear audio in the highest possible quality, lets just listen to iTunes 256k downloads instead...

Will do.

#40 Posted by Patman99 (1579 posts) -

@ramone said:

@bourbon_warrior said:
@ramone said:

Will do.

Yeah, I kinda agree. In saying that, high bitrate/quality versions of music are amazing. It's not so great that it should be the only way of listening to music but it is a definite treat when you get the chance. It also requires good headphones or speakers so it's not really worth it to most people.

#41 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

@patman99 said:

@ramone said:

@bourbon_warrior said:
@ramone said:

Will do.

Yeah, I kinda agree. In saying that, high bitrate/quality versions of music are amazing. It's not so great that it should be the only way of listening to music but it is a definite treat when you get the chance. It also requires good headphones or speakers so it's not really worth it to most people.

I've got nothing wrong with people wanting to listen to higher quality audio, I just find that most of the "audiophiles" I encounter are complete, elitist arseholes about it.

#42 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@humanity said:

Like @hamst3r said, fuck analog music media, but especially fuck FLAC. 7gb large albums, get the heck out of here with that nonsense.

FLAC seems fine to me. The larger file sizes seem like a very small price to pay for the lack of mp3/aac compression.

#43 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

@coribald said:

I have pretty good headphones (HD-600s, with FiiO E7 + E9 DAC/AMP) and I can not tell the difference between 320k MP3s and FLAC through blind tests.

I'm jealous.

@rebgav said:

@humanity said:

FLAC seems fine to me. The larger file sizes seem like a very small price to pay for the lack of mp3/aac compression.

Exactly and getting more storage isn't expensive.

#44 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@coribald said:

Nah, I like to be all audiophile sometime, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with 320k MP3s. That's what I use for my minimum, and I don't want my digital files to take up a TON of room on devices and stuff.

#45 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@rebgav: @colourful_hippie: When were talking over 20gb of space to fit about 30 songs then thats ridiculous. If you're an audiophile then sure, great for you, but it's terribly stupid and pointless for the rest of us that are content with listening to 320kbps mp3's on our stock iPhone earbuds.

#47 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rebgav: @colourful_hippie: When were talking over 20gb of space to fit about 30 songs then thats ridiculous. If you're an audiophile then sure, great for you, but it's terribly stupid and pointless for the rest of us that are content with listening to 320kbps mp3's on our stock iPhone earbuds.

30 songs....hyperbolic much? And there are unique cases for everyone, I use Spotify premium to sync up all my shit across all devices and 320 works just fine for my own apple earbuds and listening in the car. My FLAC library is only intended to be used at home where I'll either use the proper headphones or surround sound because that's where I'll get the most out of the format.

#48 Edited by mellotronrules (1188 posts) -

@humanity said:

i don't mean to be that guy, but 20gb is some pretty strong exaggeration. if a cd is has zero compression, is lossless, and holds 700mb of data...20gb for 30 songs? i mean, i'm looking at flac rips of random access memories and they're more or less 400mb. big, but not unwieldy in the age of terabytes.

edit- ha sorry for the overkill, but i'm sure you get the point.

#49 Posted by Daveyo520 (6682 posts) -
#50 Edited by Humanity (9054 posts) -

@colourful_hippie: @mellotronrules: I have seen some pretty ridiculous FLAC rips that measure up to 6gb per album but that might be an exception to the rule so yah that might have been high balling it. Either way, I completely agree that for those that really value super high quality audio and listen to it on their expensive home setup, FLAC files are probably a pretty good solution. For the everyday average listener though, it's not a very good file format.