• 52 results
#51 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo said:

I'd get Random Access Memories on vinyl, but that requires me to have a record player.

Maybe I should buy a record player.

You shouldn't buy a record player if you don't have any vinyls to play

FTFY

#52 Edited by Lysergica33 (530 posts) -

@coribald said:

Calling him an idiot is ridiculous.

I'm glad I'm not an "audiophile" though, because I can listen to and enjoy 320k MP3s. Sue me.

I have pretty good headphones (HD-600s, with FiiO E7 + E9 DAC/AMP) and I can not tell the difference between 320k MP3s and FLAC through blind tests.

Congratulations! You have shitty hearing!

#53 Edited by Athadam (699 posts) -

@castermhief117 said:

@coribald said:

I'm glad I'm not an "audiophile" though, because I can listen to and enjoy 320k MP3s. Sue me.

I have pretty good headphones (HD-600s, with FiiO E7 + E9 DAC/AMP) and I can not tell the difference between 320k MP3s and FLAC through blind tests.

Or my music isn't mastered properly and the source wasn't good to begin with. But of course you wouldn't consider that. But nevermind me and a bunch of audiophiles who invest tons in headphones but will be hard pressed to find actual differences between 320 and FLAC in blind tests. Go on some of the threads on Headfi.org and enjoy yourself.

#54 Edited by Soapy86 (2635 posts) -

I had no problem with audiophiles before coming into this thread, and I leave it thinking audiophiles are indeed a bunch of obnoxious assholes.

#55 Posted by coribald (313 posts) -

@lysergica33 said:

@castermhief117 said:

@coribald said:

Or my music isn't mastered properly and the source wasn't good to begin with. But of course you wouldn't consider that. But nevermind me and a bunch of audiophiles who invest tons in headphones but will be hard pressed to find actual differences between 320 and FLAC in blind tests. Go on some of the threads on Headfi.org and enjoy yourself.

So my audiophiles demand FLACs and blatantly ignore the quality of the source material. I tried to share a 320kb MP3 rip of a youtube concert stream and a bunch of people demanded FLACS.

THE AUDIO WAS NEVER LOSSLESS YOU AREN'T GETTING LOSSLESS GET OVER IT

#56 Edited by Lysergica33 (530 posts) -

The fact of the matter is that if you're not listening in full quality through a good quality set of speakers or headphones, you aren't hearing the full extent of the artist's vision. Sure, some artists are less visionary than others or have shitty mixes or mastering, (being a musician myself who produces his own material, I know full well just how awful people's audio ethics are these days,) but either way I see lossless audio as being plain respectful to the artist. The same as how I'd prefer to play a game on PC at higher graphics settings so I can see more detail and thus become more immersed in the world that they worked to create, I want to hear the full detail of an audio recording and nothing less, because that's how it was meant to be heard.
I can understand that people have no problems listening to 320 and don't mind it, but acting as though you're the righteous one for being able to stick shitty quality is foolish.
If the music you're listening to doesn't have an audible difference in fidelity between 320kbps and CD quality, you need to either get your hearing checked out, get better listening equipment or listen to less music with shitty mixing and mastering jobs, that's the long and short of it.
At the end of the day it's not going to affect me personally if people want to listen to lower quality music, but in this day and age of cheap and plentiful hard drive space and fast internet if you believe you care about musical artistic expression and aren't listening to music in the fullest possible quality you're doing YOURSELF a disservice.
And you know what that is? A goddamn shame.

#57 Edited by jakhicks (4 posts) -

@lysergica33: I record music a lot myself, and know a few people who've worked with the best mixers/masters ( people who mixed sting,coldplay etc)... Even they've had to start doing "mp3" masters and mixes of everything, one mix for the Vinly/Cd and another for digital download, just so their artist can still get some of their vision out there sound wise. I'm not sure if Random Access Memories has different mixes, but knowing those guys, it wouldn't surprise me if they did!