• 61 results
#51 Posted by BBOYS2231 (165 posts) -

My new wallpaper. Excellent job!

#52 Edited by Snail (8584 posts) -
#53 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5260 posts) -

@dorkymohr: That's even better. Fantastic stuff duder!

#54 Edited by fisk0 (3865 posts) -

Hopefully he learns his lesson about the teleporter soon.

You mean, learn to use it all the time? Because his teleporter run was amazing.

Your drawings were amazing too by the way.

#55 Edited by AMyggen (2587 posts) -
#56 Posted by Fobwashed (1908 posts) -
#57 Posted by Rxanadu (504 posts) -

Now, we need sprites for all of the GB staff to use in the game.

#58 Posted by IanYarborough (150 posts) -

This is rad.

#59 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (529 posts) -

Nice work!

#60 Edited by PimblyCharles (1318 posts) -

@dorkymohr said:

Not to be outdone by Fobwashed's amazing artwork I gave a shot at a full version. I had a lot of fun with these, and again thanks to everyone who enjoyed it.

Maybe it's just me and/or that Patrick loves dinos but that text reminds me of the logo for Dinosaurs.

Was that what you're going for? You've done a fantastic thing here.

#61 Posted by DorkyMohr (162 posts) -

@pimblycharles: I was really just trying to get as close as I could to the Spelunky logo as I could without actually using it. Changing the "Y" to "IN" might have looked okay but I also had to make "Scoops" feel like it wasn't tacked on as well. However, yes once I started on the text treatment of "Scoops" I got a definite Dinosaurs vibe or maybe even Joe and Mac for the SNES. As @hatking said earlier, I think a lot of these are just subconscious associations with Patrick now.

A couple of people have asked about a sprite replacement to put Patrick in the game. I've tried doing a sprite edit of one of the spelunker sprite sheets in the past and I ran up against a wall. While I don't want to discourage anyone from trying, the problem I ran into came down to a few things:

1. There are a lot of sprites you have to edit, and they're not all as simple as just replacing the head. Over 100.
  2. Spelunky is a really frantic game so it's really important that everything, including the player character, is really readable. The characters themselves impart a lot of feedback about the state of the character in the environment.
  3. Also for readability, most of the characters have a very simple color palette that makes them stand out from their surroundings.

So my biggest fear would be, a custom sprite would actually interfere with the playing of the game if not done correctly. I'd hate for someone to blow a run because the sprite made you misjudge a jump. Also Patrick really likes the squat girl spelunker with glasses, I don't think we'll get him to change his mind on that one.

#62 Posted by Fobwashed (1908 posts) -

@pimblycharles: I was really just trying to get as close as I could to the Spelunky logo as I could without actually using it. Changing the "Y" to "IN" might have looked okay but I also had to make "Scoops" feel like it wasn't tacked on as well. However, yes once I started on the text treatment of "Scoops" I got a definite Dinosaurs vibe or maybe even Joe and Mac for the SNES. As @hatking said earlier, I think a lot of these are just subconscious associations with Patrick now.

A couple of people have asked about a sprite replacement to put Patrick in the game. I've tried doing a sprite edit of one of the spelunker sprite sheets in the past and I ran up against a wall. While I don't want to discourage anyone from trying, the problem I ran into came down to a few things:

1. There are a lot of sprites you have to edit, and they're not all as simple as just replacing the head. Over 100.
  2. Spelunky is a really frantic game so it's really important that everything, including the player character, is really readable. The characters themselves impart a lot of feedback about the state of the character in the environment.
  3. Also for readability, most of the characters have a very simple color palette that makes them stand out from their surroundings.

So my biggest fear would be, a custom sprite would actually interfere with the playing of the game if not done correctly. I'd hate for someone to blow a run because the sprite made you misjudge a jump. Also Patrick really likes the squat girl spelunker with glasses, I don't think we'll get him to change his mind on that one.

Took a look. It'd take 7 heads to do.

1. normal 3/4 view
  2. front view
  3. back view
  4. looking upwards 1/3
  5. looking upwards 2/3
  6. looking upwards 3/3
  7. sneak face

If you want, you can sorta make a variant for taking damage as well. In addition, you would need to do the body but for all intents and purposes, you could prolly just pick and choose from the existing ones and do a color swap. All in all, I don't think it'd be TOO hard... My best guess is prolly at least 6 hours.

Of course, that's just for one character. Longer if you want to start messing with items/level/etc.