• 65 results
#1 Posted by Shakey1245 (64 posts) -

Hey folks.

So I've found myself at something of a lose end recently and decided to do something I've not done in a little while and that is some video editing. With the sheer volume of quality video available to download here on Giant Bomb I thought I'd edit together a TV show style opening montage for the site in the style of one of my favourite shows, Red Dwarf.

Hope you all enjoy it.

#2 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I've never seen Red Dwarf so maybe I was missing something, but it seemed to just be a bunch of clips from their videos without much cohesion. I liked the music, though.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

Holy shit, that's beautiful. I could see most of those clips working in a Red Dwarf context. Well done, duder.

(would Brad be Kryten? It seems to me that he should be Kryten.)

#4 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

Haha very nice. I was pretty confused on seeing the thread title because I was expecting this opening

but no, that makes a lot more sense. Cool stuff dude

#5 Posted by FLStyle (4707 posts) -

@shakey1245: I approve! It fits the spirit of Red Dwarf, makes me think you could swap the two casts around and they'd fit right in.

I've never seen Red Dwarf so maybe I was missing something, but it seemed to just be a bunch of clips from their videos without much cohesion. I liked the music, though.

Click here!

#6 Edited by Pie (7099 posts) -

Oh and for people unfamiliar

#7 Edited by mjk0104 (205 posts) -

That felt very Red Dwarfey, nice work :)

#8 Posted by Brennagade (1 posts) -

If I didn't know any better,based on this video I would think GiantBomb was a sitcom.Well Done and great choice of clips.

#9 Posted by Fattony12000 (7424 posts) -

Yes.

#10 Posted by Morello (81 posts) -

I certainly did enjoy it, great work!

#12 Posted by TDot (309 posts) -

that was great

#13 Posted by Fattony12000 (7424 posts) -
#14 Edited by AlisterCat (5575 posts) -

Excellent.

#15 Posted by Linkster7 (1026 posts) -

I approve

#16 Posted by DallyDoll (179 posts) -

@shagge said:

Holy shit, that's beautiful. I could see most of those clips working in a Red Dwarf context. Well done, duder.

I think Drew would make a good Kryten.

#17 Edited by Mento (2548 posts) -

A worthy successor to the Giant Bomb Night Court opening.

Is replacing the intros of 80s/90s TV shows with the Bomb Crew actually a thing now? Or does there need to be at least one more before it becomes a trend? Someone make one more.

#18 Posted by PedanticJase (58 posts) -

This is like my two favorite things dovetailing perfectly.

Thanks duder

#19 Edited by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

@mento said:

A worthy successor to the Giant Bomb Night Court opening.

Is replacing the intros of 80s/90s TV shows with the Bomb Crew actually a thing now? Or does there need to be at least one more before it becomes a trend? Someone make one more.

We need at least a Golden Girls version and a Family Matters version.

#20 Posted by Mento (2548 posts) -

@shagge: I'd be down for a Mr. Belvedrew. "Killstreaks on the Halo, never mattered before, who cares?"

#21 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5517 posts) -

I've never seen Red Dwarf, but I'm smiling so much right now. Great job duder!

#22 Posted by Damodar (1393 posts) -

Was this at all inspired by the Unprofessional Fridays were Vinny is playing Re-Elect JFK and he and Jeff jokingly concoct some scenario where a time-travelling JFK was his own assassin, the exact plot of an episode of Red Dwarf? Either way, good job! You managed to capture the essence of the show intro, which probably isn't easy, given the nature of the intros just sort of being a fairly random smattering of clips.

#23 Posted by mjk0104 (205 posts) -

@shagge said:

Yea, Drew would definitely be Kryten, no offense to Brad, but I can see him as Rimmer :p

#24 Posted by Slag (4409 posts) -

It was well done but it didn't resonate like it probably should have with me since I have never seen red dwarf.

#25 Posted by Package_Attack (26 posts) -

This is fantastic!

#26 Posted by Camling (71 posts) -

As someone who loves Red Dwarf, I like this very, very much. It's awesome, thanks duder :-)

#27 Posted by yodasears (21 posts) -

Awesome sauce!

I think casting-wise, I'd put it something like this (limiting it to 5, cos I don't really wanna assign people to skutters or talky-toaster):

*DISCLAIMER - not intended for offence, but have made a particular selection based on community reactions (not reactions I agree with, but broad-spread enough not to be ignored):

Jeff - Lister

Vinny - The Cat

Drew - Kryten

Patrick - Rimmer

Brad - Holly

#28 Edited by Fattony12000 (7424 posts) -

@shakey1245:

This got me inspired to try and make something myself, so I knocked out this 90 seconds-worth this evening. The entire thing will be around six minutes long when I'm done.

I wonder if anyone will get the reference I'm making with regards to the music and its use in a piece of brilliant British entertainment.

#29 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3332 posts) -

Excellent! Very cool.

#30 Edited by Crembaw (411 posts) -

@fattony12000 That's Hitchhiker's Guide! I never got into the old TV show, but we had all the radio plays when I was a kid!

These are hilarious, guys. Good work!

#31 Posted by MetalBaofu (1387 posts) -

I like this, and you have reminded me that I need to finish watching Red Dwarf. I had seen some if it ages ago when they showed it on late night PBS over here and have recently started watching it on Netflix.

#32 Edited by Fattony12000 (7424 posts) -
@crembaw said:

@fattony12000 That's Hitchhiker's Guide! I never got into the old TV show, but we had all the radio plays when I was a kid!

These are hilarious, guys. Good work!

<>

#33 Posted by BooDoug187 (348 posts) -

If making the Bomb Crew into 80's Brit Comedy intros then someone should make The Young Bombs:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnb9mu_the-young-ones-titles-series-1-2_shortfilms

#34 Edited by Jothel (925 posts) -

Perfect. Just perfect.

#35 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -

I always hear people talk about Monty Python and Hitchhikers Guide, but never Red Dwarf. I love that show, I wonder why it is seemingly not as popular?

#36 Edited by Marino (4706 posts) -

@shakey1245: Aaaaaaaaaand now you have a promo on the front page of this here website.

Staff
#37 Edited by WalkerTR77 (1370 posts) -

I'll never tire of Giantbomb re-imagined as a tv show opening.

#38 Posted by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

I always hear people talk about Monty Python and Hitchhikers Guide, but never Red Dwarf. I love that show, I wonder why it is seemingly not as popular?

I never understood that either. If only this were a world where I could do a Rimmer salute at people or sing "I'm going to eat you, little fishies!" when ordering seafood and know that I wouldn't be greeted with a blank stare.

I mean, sure, 'Murica and all that, but it certainly airs enough here to be at least fairly well-known. Ah well...

#39 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

@shagge: I always though Red Dwarf was reasonably popular. I live in Perth, W. Aus and if someone said "Today's fish is trout a la creme, enjoy your meal" I'd get it.

#40 Edited by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

@eskimo: Yeah, but not to the "household name" levels I'd expect. Of course, my view is that of a fan, so the popularity I think it deserves is likely overblown, haha.

But I must say, Without Red Dwarf, life would be much grimmer. *bursts into song*

#41 Posted by Walta (58 posts) -

Awesome! Red Dwarf and Giant Bomb are two of my favorite things.

#42 Posted by riddles (39 posts) -

loved it

#43 Posted by Godmil (146 posts) -

OMG that was wonderful. I totally took me back to when I was a kid and a new RD series would start, I'd be in awe at all the clips with so much exciting potential.

#44 Posted by clintlandon (62 posts) -
#45 Posted by MHumphreys89 (714 posts) -

Good work on this, you nailed it.

#46 Posted by Balthazar300 (2 posts) -

totally unexpected greatness, kudos!

#47 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (378 posts) -

How did I miss this? Love Red Dwarf, love Giant Bomb. Love that vid!

#48 Posted by Pierre42 (112 posts) -

@shagge said:

Brad strikes me as more of a Lister. Especially with that clip of him straightening up and looking self-important in his hardhat.

Looks awesome man!

#49 Posted by DoctorTran (1562 posts) -

I absolutely love it, but it really makes me miss Ryan. :(

#50 Edited by selbie (1904 posts) -

Now I want them to make a cheesy 90s scifi show for GOTY 2014. Brilliant work.