Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Would you buy a white Cards Against Humanity card that read "Ryan Davis"? (447 votes)

Yes 89%
No 11%
#1 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

God yes.

#2 Posted by Milkman (17311 posts) -

I wonder if that Cards Against Humanity-Giant Bomb thing will ever happen now.

#3 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

Only if it said 'A Biggest, Blackest Dick.'

#4 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

@milkman: I really hope it does. He seemed like the main proponent for that, so it would be nice to see it get finished.

#5 Posted by Jackhole (390 posts) -

I'd rather have a "Floppy Naturals" card, but "Ryan Davis" will do.

#6 Posted by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

I don't see how they can release a Giant Bomb expansion without a Ryan Davis card.

#7 Posted by jeffallton (22 posts) -

These people voting no...what the hell.

#8 Posted by madman356647 (374 posts) -

I have those blank cards from the expansions. Sounds like a perfect candidate for a "Ryan Davis" card.

#9 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

In a heartbeat. Put it in the GB expansion they're making.

nabokovfan87 suggested in another thread a black card: "Ryan Davis presents:"

I'd absolutely love that. I can imagine The Amazing Taswell presenting his next big carnival showcase: Biggest Blackest Dick

#10 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

"Ryan Davis' Sweat"

or

"A slap from Ryan Davis"

#11 Posted by mlarrabee (3058 posts) -

I'm thinking a black card. The white cards are the punchlines.

#12 Posted by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

I go with No.... as Ryan said he didn't want the pack to be just memes and shit from the site so just having a Ryan Davis card would go against what he wanted to build for the game.

#13 Posted by Hassun (1824 posts) -

Seems like a card with limited use...

#14 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (558 posts) -

If anything, it should be a card inspired by Ryan Davis, like "Papa Bear." I dunno, I'm horrible at suggestions. I love the man, but his name won't play well with people around me who don't have a clue what Giant Bomb is. With that said, if there's ever such a thing as a "Ryan Davis" card, yeah, I'd probably buy it.

#15 Posted by chrismafuchris (1080 posts) -

What brought the orgy to a grinding halt?

Ryan Davis

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (8551 posts) -

No. Way too specific. A subtler reference like "A human piece of shit" would be something everyone could laugh at while still being 100% Ryan to those in the know.

#17 Posted by tallnproud (17 posts) -

They should print up a white "Ryan Davis" card and sell it on their site for $1 per card with the proceeds going to his widow.

#18 Posted by lord_canti (1522 posts) -

@hassun said:

Seems like a card with limited use...

"Ryan Davis, high five bro"

#19 Posted by WhytePanther (107 posts) -

Let me pull some random black cards...Ryan Davis. Awesome in theory, kind of a mess in practice. Yup.

It's a pity that kids these days are all getting involved with Ryan Davis. Yup.

What will I bring back in time to convince people that I am a powerful Wizard? Ryan Davis. Yup.

In 1,000 years, when paper money is but a distant memory, Ryan Davis will be our currency. Yup.

Ryan Davis. Betcha can't have just one! Yup.

In his new self-produced album, Kanye West raps over the sounds of Ryan Davis. Yup.

If you were in the loop, it works with pretty much anything. It's like the new Hope.

#20 Edited by bushpusherr (847 posts) -

Cards Against Humanity (for most people) is a game of playing the funniest card. Nothing about playing the name of someone you really cared for who recently died sounds funny to me, even in those example situations mentioned above. It would just be kind of a downer.

Some of his suggestions? Absolutely. Floppy naturals would be a winner.

#21 Posted by ChrisHarris (263 posts) -

No, I wouldn't buy a Ryan Davis card because I would be the only one playing the game who knows him. That said, I would buy a Ryan Davis themed CAH booster pack with some cards based on things we associate with him for whatever reason. They just still need to work outside of the context of Giant Bomb.

#22 Posted by mithhunter55 (625 posts) -

I would rather the whole set.

#23 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2105 posts) -

That's exactly what he would want so hell yes.

#24 Edited by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

At first I thought it would be a great thing, but now I am thinking it might not measure up gameplaywise. For those who didnt know him, its not funny. For those who did, its even odds funny or sad.

Maybe a Ryan Davis pack with his suggestions. Or something like @chrisharris suggested would be pretty good.

#25 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

No, not a straight-up Ryan Davis card. Ryan Davis themed cards with his most notable quotes? Yeah, probably.

#26 Edited by mlarrabee (3058 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

What brought the orgy to a grinding halt?

Ryan Davis

That was my go-to black card when I was going to demonstrate why Ryan Davis should be a black card.

No. Way too specific. A subtler reference like "A human piece of shit" would be something everyone could laugh at while still being 100% Ryan to those in the know.

Oh, absolutely. "What brought the orgy to a grinding halt?" "A human piece of shit."

#27 Posted by kkotd (319 posts) -

If drunken bitchslapping isn't a card, it needs to be. That man loved his slapping. Even the one time I got to meet him at E3, he slapped my back twice and it was like a truck. But it was the way that man showed, 'Hey, you aren't totally useless, I like you.'

#28 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

I would buy anything Ryan Davis-related at this point. Subtle references, his name,a picture of his beard on the card, anything.

#29 Posted by WillieMcBride (63 posts) -

No. I would buy the shit out of a "Baller Time" card though.

#30 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

No, I wouldn't buy a Ryan Davis card because I would be the only one playing the game who knows him. That said, I would buy a Ryan Davis themed CAH booster pack with some cards based on things we associate with him for whatever reason. They just still need to work outside of the context of Giant Bomb.

Why buy the Giant Bomb pack at all then?

#31 Edited by ChrisHarris (263 posts) -

@benpicko: ... because I play the game with a lot of people who don't know Giant Bomb (or even play games) and I might want to sneak a little of the Giant Bomb and/or Ryan Davis magic into their lives. Other people might still find something like "baller time" or "a human piece of shit" or "floppy naturals" or "chugging anonymous breast milk" funny in its own right, but they would have a special extra meaning to us.

#32 Edited by nabokovfan87 (203 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ryan-memoriam-two-simple-requests-1444663/

Guys, please keep in mind this isn't about "will it be funny", this is about a nice way to honor Ryan. We know he loved the game, loved to make us laugh, and loved to do whatever crazy Shit he could think of (like flushing a pie at GDC). Yes it will hurt now, but it's an honor to be immortalized in something. I'm sure max would back me up here and say that would be his favorite card, not because it's the funniest, but because of its meaning. Think about it, gb has their own expansion worked on by the man himself, this isn't a meme, or some joke, it's all about honor, respect, and love for that duder.

#33 Posted by notdavid (842 posts) -

I feel like Ryan would only be cool with it if the card was unnecessarily and uncomfortably dark.

#34 Posted by LCom (47 posts) -

I was wondering if "The soul of Ryan Davis" would be the better card, but I wouldn't know quite what would be best. But at least I feel better that I wasn't the only one whose mind started on this track.

#35 Posted by UncleBenny (476 posts) -

I'm not gonna buy a fucking Ryan Davis card, that's tantamount to donating to a dumb cause like the drake tracker 2000 which I... um... oh... right.

I guess I'd buy one if it's out...

#36 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1857 posts) -

You know what this thread made me realize? Ryan isn't going to be around for the CAH: Giant Bomb Edition release.

Fuck, man...

#37 Edited by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

A Ryan Davis card that just succinctly read "Ryan Davis" would be a thing he would absolutely love. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if that was already in the works before his death.

#38 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

@artemesia: It's ok, considering he was probably most involved with it of all of the GB guys. I have a feeling we'll be able to sense his presence in the pack...

#39 Posted by medacris (674 posts) -

Yes. Even if most people I know don't even know what Giant Bomb is, I'd still like to own a set.

I played CAH for the first time two nights ago, and to be fair, there's already a lot of cards in the standard couple of sets that feel like either jokes I missed the reference to, or downright private jokes. Some of them are still really funny without context, though.

#40 Posted by Morningstar (2238 posts) -

They should print up a white "Ryan Davis" card and sell it on their site for $1 per card with the proceeds going to his widow.

I'd buy 10 of those.

#41 Posted by None_Braver (96 posts) -

I wonder what the status of the GB CAH is?

#42 Edited by nabokovfan87 (203 posts) -

Either way, result of this thread, this needs to happen.

#43 Edited by DrSpaceLove (9 posts) -

Ryan Davis is the next space ghost, and should be treated as such.

#44 Posted by Zoeytrope (90 posts) -

Ryan could dish it out just as well as he could take it. I think he'd approve.

#45 Posted by LandonRobinson (102 posts) -

Absolutely. There are a number of things I'd buy with his name on it.

God bless it all do I miss him being around.

#46 Posted by billymagnum (841 posts) -

yes but unfortunately, none of my friends would know who he is, but thats because they suck, not ryan.

r.i.p.