...a backlash against Bethesda?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By leebmx

On the most recent Beastcast (which I haven't listened to all of yet) Vinny said there was something in the Fallout4 leak which if true will mean a big back lash against Bethesda - what is this?

Is it the

silent protagonist

stuff? If not does anyone know?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

What spoilercast are you referring to?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Sorry I meant Beastcast - the most recent Beastcast....i'll edit it. Silly me.

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By grtkbrandon

I think he was referring to there not being a playable female character.

Edit: According to the incredibly leaky... leak.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cornbredx

@leebmx: Oh, ok. No worries. I thought I missed a podcast release and was like "What? there's a spoilercast?" haha

Anyway, carry on. Sorry. Didn't mean to derail your question which I don't really know an answer or have speculation to.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have yet to listen to this beastcast episode, but if he's referring to the reddit leak from 11 months ago, he could be referencing the fact that you can't select to play a female character until after the game is complete. Though I'm sure that whole reddit leak was proven false recently.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been a few snapping vines since the release of that trailer. This is all anecdotal from my trawlings over the past few days, though.

There were scattered claims of racism because the 'default protagonist' was white and such, but that seems to have died down. That seems like a thing that would be more of a concern if they had straight-out said there was no character creation anymore, which I don't think they've said ever? I'm sure there were more nuanced criticisms of it than that regarding race, they just didn't show up on my radar, but nevertheless.

There was a large backlash in certain 'hardcore' gamer circles over the absolutely nuts amounts of preorders the game's gotten, based on Bethesda's previous release history vis-a-vis bugs and glitches.

Silent protagonist, though, I can't say I've seen any of that around.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have yet to listen to this beastcast episode, but if he's referring to the reddit leak from 11 months ago, he could be referencing the fact that you can't select to play a female character until after the game is complete. Though I'm sure that whole reddit leak was proven false recently.

I hope thats not true, I always make a lady character in rpgs. Also it doesn't really make much sense to just save it for NG+....

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By superslidetail

You are referring to this link?

https://np.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/?sort=confidence

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TravisRex

I think they were saying the leak was due to an employee being fired and back lashing at bethesda.

Or maybe I just misunderstood because I was "multitasking"

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:
@sunbrozak said:

I hope thats not true, I always make a lady character in rpgs. Also it doesn't really make much sense to just save it for NG+....

Christ, yeah, that would be a huge bummer if they did that. I also choose to make female characters for whatever reason and it would be a bummer if I couldn't do that at the outset. Still, though, I can't actually see *why* the rumor would be true at all.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@leebmx said:
@sunbrozak said:

Yeah, it seems absurd. For reference, here's the reddit post. And here's an article by Kotaku which pokes holes in the validity of said post.

I don't put much stock in the "leak" being real. Much of the information this ex-developer claims is real could be thought up by anyone who is familiar with the Fallout lore.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ThunderSlash

There were casting documents for the female and male voices of the protagonist that leaked a while back. He could probably be talking about that and people's reactions to having a voiced playable character. I haven't listened to the Beastcast yet so this is just based on the information you've provided.

Edit: Oh it is about the reddit leak. Everything about that screams fake to me. It reminds me of the fake leaks for New Vegas and how you could choose an Origin on New Game like in Dragon Age. Not even the people in that reddit thread believed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I could see it being a male only protaganist. Which. . . who cares if true.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bethesda have always spoken about making a world where you can be who you want to be. There is no way they would force you to play as either gender. No way at all. Like it's not even worth getting upset at the possibility.

As to the silent protagonist thing... not sure what side I am on. I think I prefer playing a silent protagonist in those game and communicating through the often hilarious text options. If they just had your character read out the text response you choose it would seem superfluous.

Also giving the character a speaking voice would kinda go against the whole 'play as whoever you want to be' because it will force an outside personality trait (the voice, accent) onto your character. I think random screams and combat grunts are OK.

I guess the character at the end of the trailer talks to the dog but I think that's all we have to go on?

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hows about everyone just calms the hell down until Bethesda confirms the details? Seems like a really bold claim, considering they've given you the option to chose a female character in previous installments of the series, I don't see them veering away from that option unless it is for completely story-based reasons.

Reddit is about as credible as a 10 year old kid in the 90s on the school yard, talking about all that cool shit he claimed to find in Mortal Kombat for the Genesis.

Rumor and speculation rumor and speculation.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

You can't play as a female character in the Witcher 3, either.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I could see it being a male only protaganist. Which. . . who cares if true.

Because I'd like to play as a cool lady in the wasteland?

You can't play as a female character in the Witcher 3, either.

Kind of apples and oranges don't you think?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hows about everyone just calms the hell down until Bethesda confirms the details? Seems like a really bold claim, considering they've given you the option to chose a female character in previous installments of the series, I don't see them veering away from that option unless it is for completely story-based reasons.

Reddit is about as credible as a 10 year old kid in the 90s on the school yard, talking about all that cool shit he claimed to find in Mortal Kombat for the Genesis.

Rumor and speculation rumor and speculation.

Yeah it seems like that Reddit post just scored some lucky hits. Still not entirely sure what Vinny was refering to, maybe it was the male only choice, because that would be rubbish if true. But luckily it seems not, hopefully we will find out for certain in a week.

However I am quite interested in the fact that your character may speak. It this means they can tell a more focused and better story that could be excellent, although New Vegas didn't seem to have a problem.

Hugely excited for the game, I just hope her made up release date is correct, I am well prepared for 2016 though. However I don't think they would be releasing such an extensive trailer and then having gameplay at the show if the game is still over a year away.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

That leak is probably fake, I think Bethesda will go the Dragon Age/Mass Effect route of created, voiced character.

Although, it would be funny if Fallout of all games, fell into the AAA trend of Daddyfacation. We went from endless bald, white space marines to endless grizzled, white dads protecting their daughters. That's the new power fantasy.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it's less about the protagonist potentially speaking, and more about some of the flak the trailer got for its graphical prowess, or lack thereof. Personally I like the art direction.The little splashes of colour really add something for me, and as someone who can't afford to drop $1500 on a new PC every few years I appreciate that it's not going for crazy Witcher level detail.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Milkman

The being forced to play as a male character thing makes no sense, especially when you look at literally every other game that Bethesda has ever made.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@yothatlimp: If they're making an actual character as the protagonist instead of a blank slate, is it really?