A way for GB to make money. Would you object to this.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PercyChuggs

This is just one mans idea.

What if, everytime you wanted to download the newest episode of the Giant Bombcast, you had to watch a 30 second ad for something game related? Would you rebel against Giant Bomb for WASTING that ever important 30 seconds of your life, or would you accept it as a way for them to make money? I mean, you could just click on the Bombcast link, then go grab a soda while the video played or something.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think that's a little too obtrusive for their taste. Jeff stated earlier when they ran a couple of ads that they wanted it to be as low profile as possible. I think the last thing they want is to force you to watch an ad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They could also directly link to their store from the main site. I still think that's odd that they don't.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By iamjohn

Call me crazy, but I think these guys are savvy enough to know how to deliver ads that serve their purpose without being so obtrusive that they make the viewer resistant to them.

ADDTasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ADDTasty
License_To_Bill said:
They could also directly link to their store from the main site. I still think that's odd that they don't. [more]
Wait, there's a store? I'd love to buy some Giant Bomb gear, but I didn't even know there was a store.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ADDTasty said:
License_To_Bill said: They could also directly link to their store from the main site. I still think that's odd that ... [more]
Exactly!

It's store.giantbomb.com
ADDTasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ADDTasty

Damn I want that hoodie XD

And as far as ads go, I really wouldn't mind seeing them on the sight or having them before the podcast. But for the love of god, they'd better not be e-surance ads...

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By cinemandrew
License_To_Bill said:
They could also directly link to their store from the main site. I still think that's odd that they don't. [more]
Yeah, what's up with that? I think I ended up doing a google search to find the store a little while ago when I wanted to buy one of their shirts.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Kohe321
License_To_Bill said:
Haha yeah. It's weird that they have this store that is almost impossible to find. That would be one of the first things on my list to improve.

When it comes to Ads and giantbomb, I have disabled ad-block plus for this site. First time I've ever done that for a site. Really hope they make enough money...
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

How would they do that with itunes? Most people just have the bombcast automatically download through itunes. Also, while regular bombcast listeners would put up with it, it would totally discourage new people from checking out the bombcast. If they have to watch a 30 second ad before they can even get to the page, they're going to say "fuck this" and go somewhere else.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

They wouldn't do that. However, I wouldn't care.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By lord_canti

i think that i would be more conserned with watching a video in order to get to a audio podcast

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Serker

i thought that whole 20 minute interview with Treyarch Dude was an advertisement during the Bombcast.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

I'd hate having ads on anything Giant Bomb related. One of the great things about Giant Bomb is that it is completely ad free

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like GB ad free, but if they have to put some to keep the site going I'm all for it, I don't give a fuck. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gizmo

Don't want it turning into the Sarcastic Gamer podcast.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brendan
@natetodamax:

I understand you bud, but a business needs to make money, and Giantbomb.com is a business, plain and simple.  Realistically they have to finance the cost of what they're doing, and being against that is pretty selfish.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

I wouldn't appreciate that at all, unless it was a video of THEM advertising tampons or something.

What about this website right now gives you the impression that they are short on cash, anyway?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Brendan
@Brendan:
Although, by the way, the method of advertising suggested at the top does sound tactless when considering the kind of image they are trying to project, so I'd agree with you there.  I'm sure photo ads are fine.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brendan
@TooWalrus:
What is it about this site that makes you sure they ae making money?  Making a polished web site is due to technical skills more than cash flow.  Also, even if you consider the investors juicing the site, you have to remember that being an investor does not mean give out free cash.  Whoever is financing the site expects a larger return then what they put in.  That's investing.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus
@Brendan:
They honestly don't seem to be struggling with cash flow, at least to the public. I'm sure that they have the advertisement situation under control. They've had advertisements in the past, I get the impression they use them when necessary.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brendan
@TooWalrus:
I can't disagree with you there, as I don't spend all my waking hours on the site, although I've only ever seen one small Gears 2 pic on a page once.  You're also correct in having faith in the GB crew; they've given us no reason to fear so far, so there's no point in worrying. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#23  Edited By LordAndrew

They could toss up an ad at the beginning of the podcast. That's what they've done with a few episodes of The HotSpot, and I think it's one of the options in the Giant Bomb advertising kit.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

PercyChuggs said:
This is just one mans idea.What if, everytime you wanted to download the newest episode of the Giant Bombcast, you ... [more]
Even if they wanted to do something like that it couldn't work.
The vast majority of people use iTunes to download the show which would bypass that sort of advertising. They would have to get rid of the RSS feed altogether and play the show on the website exclusively just to force people to watch a 30 second video popup, that would be just plain stupid since the majority download though iTunes and that would be fracture the audience faster than the Sega 32X.
 If they didn't pull the RSS feed people could download it without even seeing the ad.
I wouldn't care if the had an audio ad in the beginning of every show I'd just skip over it using my MP3 playing device of choice.
Hulu and sites like it can have forced 30 second video ads because they aren't audio podcasts like the Giant Bombcast.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lowbrow

I'm pretty sure they have already considered this as a potential way to make cash.

If it came down to it, they would probably include ads on the site if they felt that they needed to, or if it benefited them in any way.

Obviously, because they have not yet included ads, most likely indicates that they don't need em to make money.

ZombieKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By ZombieKitty
@iAmJohn: true that
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By TheHBK

I would not mind, they got to make money somehow.  I dont think I would watch anything, though it might be different if the podcast is actually video recorded, but I would also not mind them promoting something before and during a break.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Not_Rage

What if they sold the Bomcast for 99 cents on itunes

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater

"You're listening to the Hotspot. Brought to you by Sync, the in-car technology that lets you wirelessly sync your movies, music and more. Sync, Powered by Microsoft:"
Yep. Still remember that.

invasionone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By invasionone

If you go to the "advertise" link at the bottom of the page, you can see the media kits that advertisers buy, and some of them feature things like Podcast sponsorships, drops, etc.

I have no problem with it. I still think GFW Radio was one of the best Podcasts out there, and it had 15 second ads for Crysis, Rolando, etc.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By keyhunter

I'm pretty sure I can safely say at this point that people who have been surfing the web for more than 2 months are so accustomed to ads that it wouldn't bother them at all. I would love more ad's. The more ad's they have, the more money they make. I would feel good knowing that people are getting paid to entertain me with their crazy web content. And from past Giant Bomb staff related experiences I doubt advertisers would have much impact on their games review scores.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Systech

Uh. If they need to, but I doubt it.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PhilESkyline

I think it would be better to have Ryan do ad promotion during the podcast...example "This week's Bombcast is sponsered by Red Bull energy drinks...if you want wings we've got the answer, and that's no bull." Either in the beginning or during the before the breaks.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By willin

If that was the case then I believe it should replace the break music because it's something that happens in almost every podcast, it gives the crew (and the listener) a break and it only goes for 20 - 30 seconds.

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By alsnuts2
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

They need to make the store more well-known, since hardly anyone seems to know about it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mordukai

I don't want to be intrusive but how does GB make money? 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gizmo
Mordukai said:
I don't want to be intrusive but how does GB make money?
They farm Luchadeers sperm and package it off to Japan. Rumour has it there is a farm that specializes in teaching young Lucha-Deer the ancient ways of the Lucha-dor, so I guess they all get sent there.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mordukai
Gizmo said:
Mordukai said: I don't want to be intrusive but how does GB make money? They farm Luchadeers sperm and package ... [more]
LMFAO..eeeeeewwwww....I wonder who does the milking
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gizmo
mordukai said:
Gizmo said: Mordukai said: I don't want to be intrusive but how does GB make money? They farm Luchadeers sperm ... [more]
Brad, the magic Lucha-Sperm enhances his sideburn growth at a rate of over 9000.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mordukai
Gizmo said:
mordukai said: Gizmo said: Mordukai said: I don't want to be intrusive but how does GB make money? They farm ... [more]
LMAO
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bjorno

sell giant-bomb branded E tablets

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Green_Incarnate

What? No. I would rather have ads plastered all over the the site.

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BODDAH

They're not a bunch of amateurs scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get money.

When advertisers are interested in partnering with Giant Bomb, then you'll see ads. Obviously if it were as easy as "let's show some ads here", there would already be advertisements on the site. At this point, likely because the site is relatively new, companies are not interested (yet).
chmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chmod

I would have no problem with the BombCast including ads. Anyway that I can help keep this podcast going, I'm up for it.