• 179 results
sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sdauz

I respect other people's views. I get many of the ideas put out by Ryan and Jeff on the bombcast about pc gaming. But in the last bombcast it has become very apparent that Jeff in particular has a strong distaste and perhaps disgust of pc gaming and even pc gamers. Are pc gamers really that different from console gamers? Do people really think that all pc gamers are pirates? Do they believe people who pirate games ever intended to buy them? Their complete disregard for innovative new games on pcs (world of goo which came out on the pc first), steam sales and the fact that people (who they seem to think are strange and unusual) enjoy RTSs, clan gaming (the importance of dedicated servers) and other pc centric games is becoming just annoying rather than quirky or informative. Any case about PC gaming on the bombcast seems to revolve around ridicule and general ignorance of the platform. I don't mind if others comment on me being an idiot or wrong, but am i only one who feels that pcs have no friends on giantbomb.com.  

I would like to add that i own a 360, love halo, actively use system link and love splitcreen gaming.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz

You are wrong. GiantBomb has Dave Snider.
(No, the PC doesn't get a whole lot of love on the bombcast, I just like to poke fun.)

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

I would highly recommend you listen to that part again. He was not bashing PC gamers. He was saying that it doesn't make that much sense to publish on PC because more people pirate it than actually pay for it. He is right of course. There are many great things about the PC and the PC market, but its seems almost irresponsible to put your game out on the market for PC

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower

Try not to let it bother you, in the over view it doesn't really matter. I haven't listened to the latest bombcast yet but if they are projecting a stereotype that you don't like just shrug it off and keep enjoying the platform regardless of what they think.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Don't take it personally man. PC gaming isn't for everyone, I for one do a bunch of gaming on my PC but for many the costs involved are too prohibitive. I don't think GB has an anti PC stance at all though since Brad and Vinny used to talk a lot about all their impulse purchases on steam. I do get the impression though that Jeff and Ryan are very much console exclusive gamers, no biggie that's their choice even if it is a bit unusual for someone who reviews games for a living.

AaronAlex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By AaronAlex
@punkxblaze said:
" You are wrong. GiantBomb has Dave Snider. "
^ Dave is an Advocate for all PC Gamers worldwide. 
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seedofpower
@AaronAlex said:
" @punkxblaze said:
" You are wrong. GiantBomb has Dave Snider. "
^ Dave is an Advocate for all PC Gamers worldwide.  "
Yes he is.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By thatfrood

Yeah, I feel like that isn't entirely their actual opinion, but the sort of radical opinion that arises in groups. You know, where one small negative thing leads another to say another, which makes it a "thing" to voice complaints about a certain subject to the point where the entire group has to all out bash the subject.
But yeah, they don't really cover/care about pc gaming. I assume it's just because that's not how they played games before, they didn't grow up in a pc-centric sort of environment. That's just how they are, they have their opinions that, I am gonna say, are wrong. But, like, I have my opinions that are pretty wrong too, I'm sure. So whatever. People is people.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By ez123

He's looking at it from the publisher's point of view.  Whenever Jeff talks about gaming like it's a business, people seem to get upset.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

There's definitely an industry undercurrent which is unfairly lambasting PC as a gaming platform these days and Giantbomb being a gaming press outlet are bound to be reflecting some of that in their comments.  In practice, however, they promote, quicklook and even review some games on the PC.  They even made a pretty big deal about getting a decent gaming PC.  I don't think it's literally as bad you might think it is. 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Red12b

You should check out Tested.Com, seems to be more PC centric, I know what you mean, The site is mainly 360 centric PS3 2nd, Wii then PC, And Wii gets Lambasted more often than not,  

But, hey, It's their website, their views, we just watch, listen and read.

BigDre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BigDre

@sdauz

I have no idea where you got the sense of hatred from anyone on the Bombcast about PC gaming.  As far as I've gathered from past bombcasts,  Jeff and a few others grew up gaming on PC's as well as consoles.  Yeah the stuff he talked about recently was just dealing with Ubisoft's DRM which I'd have to agree with.  My PC is still my main gaming machine and I was actually waiting to see how AC2 and the new Splinter Cell game would turn out.  Definitely if they're still dealing with this fail DRM solution I'd probably pass and not deal with that headache.   Where in the past has there been disregard for steam and innovative new games for the PC?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm not suprised, gametrailers and giantbomb for their media is very anti pc. Yet even if that's true, both site for their forums has alot of pc gamers.  

Look, we pc gamers are aware ppl doesn't like pc gaming, we are used to it, however we are still playing some of the best looking games at higher resolutions than most ppl. We are okay with that and we are fully aware of the decline in pc gaming and the piracy going on or how the media sees pc gamers and pc gaming.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous

I kinda picked up that vibe as well. There was quite a bit of truth in their argument, but I was still kinda miffed by the way they seemed to group all PC gamers together.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Leptok

Jeff and Ryan are console kiddies.

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sdauz

Thanks guys, lot of great opinions, a lot of which i agree with.  Seriou@SeriouslyNow said:

" There's definitely an industry undercurrent which is unfairly lambasting PC as a gaming platform these days and Giantbomb being a gaming press outlet are bound to be reflecting some of that in their comments.  In practice, however, they promote, quicklook and even review some games on the PC.  They even made a pretty big deal about getting a decent gaming PC.  I don't think it's literally as bad you might think it is.  "

Y
eah they do show a lot of pc games. Maybe I was being kinda harsh. But do any of you think that PC games sell that poorly that publishers are right in their DRM tactics? 

@ThatFrood
said:

" Yeah, I feel like that isn't entirely their actual opinion, but the sort of radical opinion that arises in groups. You know, where one small negative thing leads another to say another, which makes it a "thing" to voice complaints about a certain subject to the point where the entire group has to all out bash the subject. But yeah, they don't really cover/care about pc gaming. I assume it's just because that's not how they played games before, they didn't grow up in a pc-centric sort of environment. That's just how they are, they have their opinions that, I am gonna say, are wrong. But, like, I have my opinions that are pretty wrong too, I'm sure. So whatever. People is people. "
That makes a lot of sense. Wish Dave was there to kinda level out the opinions. I understand what they mean, but there is no sorta devil's advocate for pc gamers like Dave often enough to create a balanced discussion. 

@punkxblaze said:
" You are wrong. GiantBomb has Dave Snider. (No, the PC doesn't get a whole lot of love on the bombcast, I just like to poke fun.) "
Yeah i am, but is Dave on that often? I mean he isnt even on the artwork on the bombcast page, even that other guy is there...u know the tall, blonde guy who is the camera guy 

All in all, I am wrong.
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By immike

Don't worry, they just hate you. Seriously though, the Bombcast guys just have opinions on certain genres and/or platforms and don't hesitate to spread them around. If you think about it, their hate is never really unwarranted. The only time they offend people is when they are fans of the particular genre or platform even though it has some glaring flaws. It's a tough choice, but the guys made the choice to be vocal about what they feel, and some people are obviously not going to like that. Personally, I have no problem with it.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By haggis

PC gaming has been in a slow decline for some time now, and basically excels in only a few niche areas over consoles. As user interface improvements on consoles continue (we've seen massive innovation in console game UI over the last few years, and I'm surprised we haven't seen more discussion of it) then PC gaming will continue to lose its edge. Basically, there needs to be a fundamental change in PC game distribution to deal with the piracy issue so devs feel comfortable releasing on the PC. There simply hasn't been a lot of innovation on the PC, because the developers have focused on the larger, more stable market on consoles.

I think GB's attitude toward PC gaming reflects the general opinion of gamers right now, which is definitely console-focused. I don't think they hate PC gaming, it's just that the best gaming titles aren't available on the PC anymore.

It's really too bad. I grew up as a PC gamer, and still play a lot of games on my PCs. I'd love to see a PC gaming resurgence. But right now, I'm not seeing signs of that. Consoles are where gaming is at, at least for the moment, and GB's attitude reflects that.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By Atlas
@ez123 said:
"   He's looking at it from the publisher's point of view.  Whenever Jeff talks about gaming like it's a business, people seem to get upset. "
I fell this is the core of the problem. The reason why people don't like the way Jeff talks about the business of games, and to the same extent Ryan's cynicism and nihilism, is because when the Bombcast started their mission statement was that they wanted to focus more on the games than on the business. To be fair, they do talk about games a lot on the Bombcast, but recently Jeff has started to take this side of it much more seriously - I'd say it began with the selling of Midway and peaked with the recent Infinity Ward debacle - and that's not what a lot of people want to hear. Sure, they are console gamers, and that's fine for what it is, but it would be nice if they just avoided getting into that stuff at all. The Bombcast is supposed to be a fun time - it's no fun listening to them crunch numbers or dissect press releases and conference calls. Brad and Vinny, Dave as well, spend much less time focusing on the business side of things, which is why nobody is really calling them out over it.

I'm reminded of the first Bombcast after the site was launched in July 08. They started off with a big routine about how they were all analysts and talking nothing but business. It was a total parody, and it was pretty funny, but the sad thing is it's becoming true. And the two people who stuck with the joke the longest were Ryan and Jeff. Probably reading too much into it, but y'know, just saying.

Also, for the PC dudes pissed off, I'm surprised you're still listening to the Bombcast at all. Maybe you didn't hear this quote from the Bombcast about a year ago:

Vinny: "...PC gaming is fine...It's...
Ryan: "Dude, no it's not"
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rhaknar

last time i said this i got blasted for it, but again... out of everyone I know that plays games actively, about 5 or 6 people, 4 are PC only players and they pirate all their games, one has a wii and also pirates that, one of them has a ps3 but regulary asks if games are on pc too so he can pirate them (recently he asked if heavy rain was ps3 exclusive). I'm the only one that doesnt have a gaming pc, only 360 and ps3, so im the only one that actually buys games. 

Im not trying to be some sort of champion or anything, just stating a fact. Maybe the situation in america is different, but like I said, everyone i know that plays on PC (and Wii) pirates their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar said:
" last time i said this i got blasted for it, but again... out of everyone I know that plays games actively, about 5 or 6 people, 4 are PC only players and they pirate all their games, one has a wii and also pirates that, one of them has a ps3 but regulary asks if games are on pc too so he can pirate them (recently he asked if heavy rain was ps3 exclusive).
How old are you guys? I am turning 27 and I stopped pirating PC games about 1997 because it wasn't longer "kewl", just incredibly dumb. I bet your friends are 19 max.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rhaknar
@atomic_dumpling said:

" @Rhaknar said:

" last time i said this i got blasted for it, but again... out of everyone I know that plays games actively, about 5 or 6 people, 4 are PC only players and they pirate all their games, one has a wii and also pirates that, one of them has a ps3 but regulary asks if games are on pc too so he can pirate them (recently he asked if heavy rain was ps3 exclusive).
How old are you guys? I am turning 27 and I stopped pirating PC games about 1997 because it wasn't longer "kewl", just incredibly dumb. I bet your friends are 19 max. "
im 30, 31 next week. the youngest of my friends is 27. the dude that asked if heavy rain was on pc is 35... nice try :/

also, im the only one with any actual interest in the industry and whatnot. None of them listens to podcasts or anything like that...it basically comes down to free against 70euros for a game for them
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have noticed before myself. PC and Wii owners will forever face the brunt of mockery on this site, you'll have to get used to it. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar said:

it basically comes down to free against 70euros for a game for them "

In that case, they are just incredible naive and soon they will have nothing left to pirate. Of course, they will deny this until it's too late.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rhaknar
@atomic_dumpling said:
" @Rhaknar said:

it basically comes down to free against 70euros for a game for them "

In that case, they are just incredible naive and soon they will have nothing left to pirate. Of course, they will deny this until it's too late. "
they just dont give a fuck. And speaking of denial, it amazes me the amount of denial concerning PC piracy every time this issue comes up... Im sure there are many PC gamers as legit as console gamers, but to deny that PC piracy is RAMPANT just boggles my mind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I am amazed by the denial that there is no rampant piracy of XBox 360 games. Ya'll play innocent but you are not.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rhaknar
@atomic_dumpling said:
" And I am amazed by the denial that there is no rampant piracy of XBox 360 games. Ya'll play innocent but you are not. "
nobody denies there is a lot of 360 piracy (not as much as Wii piracy tho I would imagine, since its easier on Wii), but if you are trying to compare it to the PC... well, I don't know what to say
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By Atlas
@atomic_dumpling said:
" And I am amazed by the denial that there is no rampant piracy of XBox 360 games. Ya'll play innocent but you are not. "
Hmm, the fanboyism is strong with this one.

Seriously, you cannot compare PC piracy and console piracy. The numbers don't lie. Modern Warfare 2 was pirated about four times as much as the 360 version, and five times as much as the PS3 version. Yes, people were angry at Activision and IW, but the point still stands. Nobody is saying the 360 is in danger because people pirate games on it, so obviously it's not as significant of a percentage as the PC. If that were the case, Sony would be top dog in the console market and people would only be developing games for the PS3. It doesn't work that way, I'm afraid.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jkz
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
"I would highly recommend you listen to that part again. He was not bashing PC gamers. He was saying that it doesn't make that much sense to publish on PC because more people pirate it than actually pay for it. He is right of course. There are many great things about the PC and the PC market, but its seems almost irresponsible to put your game out on the market for PC "

I think this is the important factor; people always seem to get upset when people insinuate that the PC market isn't nearly as lucrative as the console market. As much as we don't want that to be true (I'm a formerly pure-PC gamer who has shifted to play primarily console games due to the greater number of available titles, and the fact that my friends play it), it sadly is, and that is what Jeff was talking about, rather than an active dislike of PC games and gamers.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Binman88
@Seedofpower said:

" Try not to let it bother you, in the over view it doesn't really matter. I haven't listened to the latest bombcast yet but if they are projecting a stereotype that you don't like just shrug it off and keep enjoying the platform regardless of what they think. "

This^

It's unfortunate that Jeff and Ryan feel the way they do about PC gaming, and more unfortunate that they feel the need to bash it on their podcast. It's unfortunate because I love listening to the bombcast to pass the time, but I start to lose my desire to listen to it whenever I hear them moan about PC gaming/games. The only thing to do then, as I said above, is just shrug it off. Their opinions don't really matter at the end of the day, but it is sad that they devote so much time to complaining about the PC, rather than covering it.

@jukezypoo said:
"I think this is the important factor; people always seem to get upset when people insinuate that the PC market isn't nearly as lucrative as the console market. As much as we don't want that to be true (I'm a formerly pure-PC gamer who has shifted to play primarily console games due to the greater number of available titles, and the fact that my friends play it), it sadly is, and that is what Jeff was talking about, rather than an active dislike of PC games and gamers. "
What ever happened to just talking about video games, regardless of how well they sell? I think people don't understand why they put so much energy into complaining that they could put into PC coverage instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Atlas said:
" @atomic_dumpling said:
Hmm, the fanboyism is strong with this one.  Seriously, you cannot compare PC piracy and console piracy. The numbers don't lie. Modern Warfare 2 was pirated about four times as much as the 360 version, and five times as much as the PS3 version.
The fact that Ubisoft and EA are still trying to sell PC games is telling me that there still is money to be made, whether you believe it or not.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By frankxiv

i dunno they feel pretty equal opportunity to me, they're just not as restrained as other people might be where they think "oh pc gamers listen to this, let's not say it's a dead platform full of pirates" or "oh 360 gamers listen to this let's not bring up red rings or 90% of xbox live". they're well known stereotypes, it's not like a long list of personal reasons why he hates pc gaming, and you never see threads like this when they bring up steam sales or mention pc games. just don't be so sensitive.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By august

I'm a pc gamer, but you really have to go out of your way to take some personal affront when the Bombcast starts talking about piracy.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Kyreo
@ez123 said:

"   He's looking at it from the publisher's point of view.  Whenever Jeff talks about gaming like it's a business, people seem to get upset. "

Which is exactly why they let him go from GameSpot.  Cuz he has a tendency to step on other peoples' toes.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By c1337us

Eh this shit again.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By august

I also find find the proportion of business talk to gaming talk perfectly fine and in fact informative and interesting. If you don't like it I'd suggest finding another website/podcast.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm a PC guy and honestly i think their opinions refreshing. I know that the dudes have steam and they buy some sick ass games. I know that i advised dave snider recently about computer upgrades. These guys don't hate PCs or PC gamers, they poke fun at them like they poke fun at me for being English. 

come to think of it i get picked on a lot by these guys >_>;; SONOFABITCH!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Atlas said:
" @atomic_dumpling said:
Hmm, the fanboyism is strong with this one.  Seriously, you cannot compare PC piracy and console piracy. The numbers don't lie. Modern Warfare 2 was pirated about four times as much as the 360 version, and five times as much as the PS3 version. Yes, people were angry at Activision and IW, but the point still stands. Nobody is saying the 360 is in danger because people pirate games on it, so obviously it's not as significant of a percentage as the PC. If that were the case, Sony would be top dog in the console market and people would only be developing games for the PS3. It doesn't work that way, I'm afraid. "
The numbers can be made to look any way necessary by those who know how to use them effectively.  360 and Wii are pirated in HUGE numbers and it stands to reason because collectively they have much bigger exposure than PC as a gaming platform.  Every single XBOX 360, Wii, DS and PSP game is available, many prior to street release dates so don't even try and tell me that PC flattens the competition when it comes to piracy because that flies in the face of facts based purely on market exposure alone.  Now if you want to get technical, then you might say that the complexity of using cracks/modding consoles and experience necessary to get and play pirated games may only amount to say 5% (an extremely low estimate) of any given market then the fact that the Wii and 360 markets collectively are larger than the PC gaming market once again proves that there are more pirates on consoles. Argue it any way you like, look up the torrent trackers and the real numbers speak for themselves and not the press corporate driven sanitised and manipulated figures which some of the gaming press passes for articles on the subject. 

The PC is not in danger from piracy, just like consoles are not in danger from piracy.  The music business is in danger from piracy and the reason is that MP3 and other DRM-less formats were poorly thought out at their inception, when every business jumped on the bandwagon in the hopes of making big bucks easily; there were no barriers or checks and measures in place at any level and the codec itself was given to the opensource communities where it was essentually spawned from anyway (the Fraunhoeffer Institute is connected to the education and science communities).  Not only that, but the MP3 codec format and players were all extremely simple to deal with on the whole which again presented almost no hurdle to slow the rate of music piracy as it transformed into a beast of critical mass proportions.  People need to recognise the difference between music and game piracy because while consoles have certainly expanded the market in size and exposure, gaming has yet to reach critical mass, though it definitely isn't far off, so as a result it's important to understand that PC gaming, like all forms of electronic gaming, has pretty much always had copy protection techniques and there has and will always be a percentage of people who work their way around such measures.  Piracy isn't killing PC, it's just being used a way in which some companies can spread FUD about the PC in order to justify raising prices on ALL platforms and to offer rental experiences at full price.

The reason why Sony isn't top now is because they came late to the party this generation yet last gen they were top dog of the console market and their PS2 games were also pirated in huge numbers then too.  Please don't try and make reality fit your iodeas, try instead to get your mind around reality because that's going to do you much better in the long run.

That is all.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jimbo

It's just the popular (and populist) stance to take isn't it?  I don't really care, I'm just used to it now because it's been the same for years.  The whole debate is pretty much binary at this point; 'PC gaming is fucked!' or 'Everything is fine!'.  Console-centric sites blindly take the former position (which generally endears them to their audience) and PC-centric sites blindly take the latter position (ditto).  There is virtually no considered or intelligent discussion about it going on anywhere.

Neither of those absolute positions are entirely correct.  You can instantly disprove the theory that 'It's stupid to release games on PC at this point', by just saying 'So why do they keep doing it?  Why are they even switching some franchises from console-only to console+PC?', on the flip side, it's obvious that everything isn't as healthy as it perhaps could be.  

People need to realise that in reality there is a huge middle ground between those two positions, where a game can be both pirated and profitable, and that so long as it remains profitable despite the piracy, they will continue to release their games on the PC.  The sales numbers alone can also be quite misleading - eg. if I buy a digital download of Dragon Age or ME2 from EA's site, they're probably making as much money from that as they are from 2 or 3 retail console sales.   The question publishers are dealing with isn't 'How do we make PC gaming profitable?', it's 'How do we make it as profitable as we possibly can?' - and they'll keep trying out different methods until they figure out what works and what doesn't.  You'll know when PC version stop being profitable because they just won't release them at all - no contrived excuses, they'll just stop.

Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zao

I got to say I feel the same way that Pc gamers generally they are stuck in the past and just dont see the innovation of the consoles and the ease of a unified system like xbox live. They bang on about how much the mouse cant be replaced yet theyve never even picked up a 360 controller long enough to realise just how well it does work. Worst of all they go on about obvious things like how the pc graphics will always be better, well thats all fine and well accept there is nothing but Crysis to hit home on this argument and even thats being developed on consoles now. I remember my PC friend bragging to me that 2009 was going to be the year of pc because of  StarCraft, well its 2010 now and its still not out and really? A better looking remake is supposed be a revolution. The only thing that seems to drive them now is nostalgia for games like Diablo 3 seriously just grab a console and start having a more enjoyable gaming life instead of being misrable.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Binman88

I love when a post of reason and insight gets immediately followed up by one of ignorance and stupidity:

@Jimbo said:

"...(reason and insight)..."

@Zao said:
"...(ignorance and stupidity)..."
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind

A lot of PC gamers tend to be very elitest and come off as acting superior and smug.  It's unfair to stereotype all PC gamers that way, just as it would be for any console fanatics.  But when it comes to fanboys, PC ones tend to be the worst because of this, so I can't really say I blame them for how they feel.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Zao said:
" I got to say I feel the same way that Pc gamers generally they are stuck in the past and just dont see the innovation of the consoles and the ease of a unified system like xbox live. They bang on about how much the mouse cant be replaced yet theyve never even picked up a 360 controller long enough to realise just how well it does work. Worst of all they go on about obvious things like how the pc graphics will always be better, well thats all fine and well accept there is nothing but Crysis to hit home on this argument and even thats being developed on consoles now. I remember my PC friend bragging to me that 2009 was going to be the year of pc because of  StarCraft, well its 2010 now and its still not out and really? A better looking remake is supposed be a revolution. The only thing that seems to drive them now is nostalgia for games like Diablo 3 seriously just grab a console and start having a more enjoyable gaming life instead of being misrable. "
WTF?  Seriously, I think I just got a little less intelligent from reading all of that.  360 controllers are available for Windows, you know this right?  Many PC gamers also game on consoles too, you know that don't you?

Mate, that has to be I think one of the most poorly thought out attempts to attack PC as a gaming platform I think I've ever read. 

• CryEngine3 is developed on PC, it's just that Crytek are now making it multiplatform because it's good for licensing and other purposes to do so.  Crysis 2 will obviously look and play best on PC.  All FPS games are like that.
  • StarCraft is a hugely popular game all over the world and SC2 isn't a remake, it's a sequel; new races, weapons, game modes and so on.  
  • The PC games market is driven by innovation and always will be.  CounterStrike, DoD and a ton of other games come directly from the modding community which is simply not possible on closed systems like consoles.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By buzz_killington

I don't know. A lot of "PC gamers" are just flat-out pirates. And all they said on the Bombcast was that if a publisher thinks releasing a game on the PC hurts their sales, they probably shouldn't put the game out on the PC.  

And yeah, Assassin's Creed (the first one) sold 40 000 copies on the PC. Really impressive, huh? Has nothing to do with PC pirates, right?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By napalm

PC gamers tend to be very bitchy and just weird when it comes to talking about the state of PC gaming. It's like anything you mention is automatically wrong.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeffsekai

All Jeff/Rest of Staff are saying is that in this day in age with all the pirates and how easy it is to down load and get working, is that people should just stop making PC games or at the very lest that it is not worth while. and they are right.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lowbrow

This is being taken crazy out of context. If there was any disgust for anything, its disgust aimed at the situation that games being made for the PC are placed in. Both on the side of publishers, AND the consumer. 12 year old kids that have yet to figure out the way the world actually fucking works will sit there and say that publishers and developers make enough money and DRM is dogshit. Of course DRM is dogshit, but what fuck are they supposed to do? Pirating is stealing, that's it. Its like walking right into one of their offices and walking right out with one of their computers. Would they let you do that without doing anything about it? Fuck no. Are they going to let people pirate their shit without doing anything? Fuck no.

1. DRM only really hurts people who legitimately purchase games. Yes - Something which the guys on the podcast said.
2. Publishers and developers need to be able to protect their intellectual property, this is something that is well within their rights. 
3. Ubisoft's DRM application is intrusive and Draconian to the fucking extreme, and for the first few days that the "service" was launched, what they stated could never fucking happen, was the exact thing that DID happen, and the person that hurt the most was the person that forked over their 60 bucks for the game. Again, hurting the people that just want to play the damned game - also  pointed out in the bombcast.
 4. There's a conflict of interest now - On the one hand, publishers and developers want their products to make money first, and want their client base to be happy. Customers just want to pay for their shit, and play it without having to deal with a bunch of fucked up issues that are completely beyond their ability to control. In the end, as a publisher, if the only way you can make sure that you're products aren't being stolen is to have a program on someone's machine constantly checking up on them like a parent looking over a childs shoulder every fucking hour to make sure their minds are not tainted by the dredges of the internet, then what the fuck is the point?

The point Jeff was trying to make is the situation sucks. At some point, he points out rather intelligently, if they are losing so much money to Pirates that this is their only solution, what the fuck is even the point of even developing for the platform? You're not happy as a publisher, your legitimate customers are not happy, and you're sitting there like an ass proving the pirate's point - that DRM is fucking bullshit and who in their right mind would even bother paying for the game, when the free version is less than a pain in the ass to deal with?

No one on the podcast is berating PC gamers, or PC gaming, they're just trying to get the point across that the situation as a whole sucks. It sucks for people who just want to play the games and it sucks for the people making the games. The situation just fucking sucks ass.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm fine with PC gaming and gamers, I only pick on them when they start talking shit about consoles. Which they do. Often. I don't know why they just don't shut the fuck up about their machine and just buy a console as well to experience some genres other than FPS and RTS.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jimbo
@Zao said:
" I got to say I feel the same way that Pc gamers generally they are stuck in the past and just dont see the innovation of the consoles and the ease of a unified system like xbox live. They bang on about how much the mouse cant be replaced yet theyve never even picked up a 360 controller long enough to realise just how well it does work. Worst of all they go on about obvious things like how the pc graphics will always be better, well thats all fine and well accept there is nothing but Crysis to hit home on this argument and even thats being developed on consoles now. I remember my PC friend bragging to me that 2009 was going to be the year of pc because of  StarCraft, well its 2010 now and its still not out and really? A better looking remake is supposed be a revolution. The only thing that seems to drive them now is nostalgia for games like Diablo 3 seriously just grab a console and start having a more enjoyable gaming life instead of being misrable. "
I don't know about that; I don't think there are a massive number of regular PC gamers out there who don't own a 360 or PS3.  They're so cheap comparatively that they're almost disposable - which is just as well in the case of the 360.  You can't really deny that the biggest selling genres on consoles nowadays are traditionally 'PC genres' that have just been slightly adapted so that you can play them from a couch.  It is fact that current console controllers have evolved to offer the best approximation of a mouse - that is literally why they are designed like they are.  It will never be as good imo, but with judicious use of auto-aim, it's close enough for me not to worry too much if the only place to play top-budget FPS is on a console in future.

The biggest problem I have with console gaming isn't how it handles, it's the complete lack of variety.  Everything has homogenized down into a handful of game types.  The budgets are so high that you need to be talking millions of units sold to make a decent profit, which in turn means your games need to be designed from the ground up to appeal to the lowest common denominator, which unfortunately means very little room for risky or niche gaming.  This is only going to get worse on consoles - anything that strays even a little bit from one of the successful moulds tends to crash and burn.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jimbo
@buzz_killington said:
"

I don't know. A lot of "PC gamers" are just flat-out pirates. And all they said on the Bombcast was that if a publisher thinks releasing a game on the PC hurts their sales, they probably shouldn't put the game out on the PC.  

And yeah, Assassin's Creed (the first one) sold 40 000 copies on the PC. Really impressive, huh? Has nothing to do with PC pirates, right?

"
More to do with it being months after the console launch, clearly being a console game and not being a very good port I would imagine.  Got a source on that number?