#1 Posted by Jax (461 posts) -

So the staff mentioned Ads on the podcast.

What kind of ads would you prefer to see, and how do you think they should be implemented?

#2 Posted by Disclaim3r (116 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they'd just go with simple banner ads. They're probably the least annoying of ads.

#3 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

You would think it doesn't really matter.

#4 Posted by Jax (461 posts) -

I would hate for flash ads like gamespot to pop up everytime I change pages.

#5 Posted by Caje (138 posts) -

No flash ads PLEASE! They slow loading times and are annoying.

#6 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -
Jax said:
"I would hate for flash ads like gamespot to pop up everytime I change pages.
"
same, just a simple banner would be fine.
#7 Posted by Ghil (231 posts) -

as long as it's not pop-ups or hiding the videos, I'm fine with it.

#8 Posted by Moridin (716 posts) -

I wouldn't mind banners.

#9 Posted by faustyn (615 posts) -

banners are pretty awesome. i really don't care about ads. i would only mind videos and changing the site design but Jeff mentioned in the podcast that now they're in such a position that nothing like that will happen.

#10 Posted by SmAsH (234 posts) -
Jax said:
"So the staff mentioned Ads on the podcast.

What kind of ads would you prefer to see, and how do you think they should be implemented?
"
Would be fun to see energy drink ads :P Since that is how the whole bombcast started every podcast with delicious, unique, exotic, and nasty energy drinks. :D
#11 Posted by MissileWarriorz (264 posts) -

hate ads but a simple banner would do the job

#12 Posted by Rain_Dog (219 posts) -

Just banners. The ads that pop-up and block the screen with a little tiny "x" in the lower left corner are ridiculous.

#13 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Yeah, banners I think.

Flash ads are terrible

#15 Posted by cann3dheat (230 posts) -

I wouldn't mind some quick audio ads before the Bombcast. It'd be awesome if we could get a new indie game highlighted in an ad each week so that it can get it's name out there. I mean, I wouldn't having the Bombcast brought to me by Halo Wars, but I'd like to help the little guy. :)

#16 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

simple ads, that do not pop up or get in the way of the feel of giant bomb

#17 Posted by Dymach (36 posts) -

Definitely banners, they never impeded website viewing. They need to have energy drink ads! :), even though I've never had one.  I'd like to see the guys branch out on the advertising in general.  I know you can't completely get away from having game companies advertise on the site, but I'd like to see a real push away from that norm, which is why I'm really glad they're going to be asking our opinions on what we would like to see.

#18 Posted by Lombax (105 posts) -

i'm cool with ads on the site just no flash, and for god sake have some dignity when picking a sponser  . Kotaku brought to you by Coors Lite  is lame as hell. 

#19 Posted by nakke (64 posts) -

I'd rather pay a reasonable yearly subscription fee.

#20 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -
Lombax said:
"i'm cool with ads on the site just no flash, and for god sake have some dignity when picking a sponser  . Kotaku brought to you by Coors Lite  is lame as hell. "
I know. Kotaku is kind of going downhill in my opinion
#21 Edited by Player1 (3890 posts) -

Maybe bar ads, the main page ads (like gamespot) and possibly ads in-between videos. I would like a type of payed subscriber option where we wouldn't have ads though. That would be nice.

#22 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

As long they are not too intrusive, anything is fine.

#23 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

No ads are good ads.

#24 Posted by CountRockula (398 posts) -

Banner ads are almost definitely the way to go.

As for the kinds of things I'd like to see advertised, I think something similar to the Penny Arcade model, where you guys work out deals to advertise specifically for games or products that you like, would be pretty cool if it's feasible.  If not, I think it might be best to avoid ads for games whenever possible and instead advertise for products and services that are maybe relevant to the culture that generally surrounds videogames.

#25 Posted by Sabious (31 posts) -

I agree with the no flash ads thing. Flash and pop up ads can make browsing a real pain for some people.

#26 Posted by Masc0t (69 posts) -

Unfortunate thing for Giant Bomb is most of us have adblock

#27 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

I think that a simple "This bombcast is brought to you by....so and so" would be sufficient for each one

#28 Posted by Colino (146 posts) -
Sdodd412 said:
"Jax said:
"I would hate for flash ads like gamespot to pop up everytime I change pages.
"
same, just a simple banner would be fine.
"
yea! so I can block with adblock plus! :3
#29 Posted by AmericanPegasus (392 posts) -

I have adblock plus so...ads won't be a problem, right now I have this site unblocked because I thought it would screw with the sign up process.

#30 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2522 posts) -

Holy Crap I forgot about ads.....do they really have to add them.....ugh....I forgot how nice it is now to have ads.

#31 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -
SmAsH said:
"Jax said:
"So the staff mentioned Ads on the podcast.

"
Would be fun to see energy drink ads :P Since that is how the whole bombcast started every podcast with delicious, unique, exotic, and nasty energy drinks. :D
"
I agree lol.
#32 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I'd like to see game related advertisements from websites where you can purchase games. Instead of having big adveritsement campaigns where the site gets decked out in images relating to a specific game.

#33 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I would like the game ad's that myspace have.

#34 Posted by Cowman (675 posts) -
BigBoss1911 said:
"Holy Crap I forgot about ads.....do they really have to add them.....ugh....I forgot how nice it is now to have ads."
Well they don't have to have ads but they do need to pay for bills.
#35 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -
BigBoss1911 said:
"Holy Crap I forgot about ads.....do they really have to add them.....ugh....I forgot how nice it is now to have ads."
So are you... dumb or something?
#36 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I want retro-themed condoms!

#37 Posted by Axersia (1622 posts) -

I'd like them to have those cheesy marketing skits on the podcast. :P

They're great fun.

#38 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

Nothing intusive or in your face, i am happy with an ad at the side of the page but i dont want to have a flash ad in the middle of a story or how wen i go to a page it redirects me to a full page ad and i have to click a tiny button in the corner to continue the the page i origianlly desired

#39 Posted by Carlos (504 posts) -

Hulk smash ads!!
normal adds would do just fine :)

#40 Posted by Batman (1016 posts) -

Hopefully banners, because my Adblock Plus disables them.  Hehe

#41 Posted by Axersia (1622 posts) -
Batman said:
"Hopefully banners, because my Adblock Plus disables them.  Hehe
"
That isn't very nice. I always turn my adblock off if a site asks for it, and GB would be no exception. They just started out, so they could use some help.
#42 Posted by GumbieuK (120 posts) -

Anything except those stupid full site skins Gamespot used to use. They were a pain in the ass and quite often looked shit!