Advertising in The Podcast?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By mellotronrules

wouldn't bother me personally (everyone's got to get theirs), but i could see it presenting difficulties. right now they have the lofty position of being fairly irreverent to whatever brands they like, as they don't have any obligations to anyone. i don't think they'd necessarily lose that position entirely, but from an idealistic standpoint, it would limit their behavior. can't take a brands money, and then slag them on air.

it's like bands' music in car commercials- it doesn't directly offend my sensibilities, but there is a dilution of the creative work that occurs as a result.

again, it wouldn't freak me out, but it is one of those things that once you start, there really isn't any going back. perception-wise, anyway.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By nightriff

@SirPsychoSexy said:

Sure it starts out with just advertising on a podcast, but I think we know all too well how it may end up.

No Caption Provided

This is the greatest thing I have seen in awhile, thank you for this.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By OneManX

Yeah... I have no problem with it. I listen to the Art of Wrestling podcast, all the time, and Cabana plugs a lot of stuff in the start, but there are some deals and coupon codes, so that would be cool to get a discount ona shirt or something dumb.

I have no clue why this is even that big of an issue...

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By l4wd0g

I hate to be cynical, but isn't the podcast a giant advertisement for the new releases of the week?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@l4wd0g said:

I hate to be cynical, but isn't the podcast a giant advertisement for the new releases of the week?

Well they do cover video games so telling people that these games are out is kind of important. They also shit talk some of them when they do whatcha been playing.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Kerned

@l4wd0g: No, it's relevant to the subject of the podcast. New releases info is sort of news. No one is being encouraged to buy anything.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Wemibelle

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@l4wd0g said:

Well they do cover video games so telling people that these games are out is kind of important. They also shit talk some of them when they do whatcha been playing.

Also, the new releases section is always super short and usually rushed, because they're going way too long. Since the removal of the Nintendownloads section, it doesn't drag and just feels like an info dump. In fact, I wouldn't mind if that section was gone. I have the Internet if I want to know what came out this week, and they always mention the bigger games, since they are playing them actively.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I want everyone at Giant Bomb to become filthy rich doing what they do. Ads would not bother me since podcasts are a huge resource sink for little return.

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By deano546

I would prefer if it was something pre recorded that replaced the 30 second break, as opposed to the guys talking about whatever product is the sponsor.

Also, if someone is a premium member, give them an RSS feed for the ad free version maybe? I dunno, I guess it depends on what is advertised and how it is done, whether people will get pissed at it or not.

Also, while I listen to other podcasts which have ads, I dont pay money to those any of those websites (I realise I'm not premium right now, but probably 2 months out of every 3 I am).

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle

I remember Jeff saying that a lot of people that download the podcast don't actually visit the site. So since they're not making money from those people via subscriptions or even ad revenue in the site, it makes sense to have adverts in the podcast.

I don't mind it, but I'd prefer subscribers get an ad-free feed somehow. As long as it doesn't turn into Rooster Teeth...

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By raviolisumo

Every pod I listen to has ads. I'd be fine with it.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By audiosnow

I'd be irritated, but I can't think of any defense for my irritation, so:

I'm totally OK with the guys getting paid to mention things they actually use and like.

Adam Corolla has his own lawyer, he doesn't use LegalZoom.

After all, it is four hours out of their workday.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By kindgineer

I could care less. Any podcast I watch has either an ad in the beginning and the end, or one of the members of the cast does some silly tie-in.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sooty

I don't care but I hope they aren't read out annoyingly or with dumb music.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By geirr

Why I would love to support the site and also have ads, yes, this sounds great.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By yetiantics

Fueled by Dew?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Andorski

They would be wise to check out how Kevin Smith does his advertisements at the beginning of his podcast. Albeit his advertisements are for other things he works on (e.g. live shows, other podcasts on his network, etc.), but Kevin personally does new adverts every episode for +5 minutes that are, dare I say, kinda enjoyable. He makes jokes while selling his wares, and for a while he had this hypnotic tune that repeated in the background. It makes the advertisement way more tolerable than it ever should be.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By yakov456

Whatever fuels the machine is fine by me!

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By hockeymask27

As long they dont split it up. I swear there will be blood if that ever happen.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I've never gotten the impression that Jeff is particularly fond of advertising, so I feel reasonably confident in the crew's ability to limit its invasiveness. And I genuinely hate most advertising.

soul101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By soul101

Sure, bring them on! 3 per cast would be fine, one to start, one during the break and one to close it out, no big deal. I never understand why all these people get pissed off about them, a 30 second ad every hour (most podcast ads are actually 15 sec) equates to 1/120th or 0.8%!! of the cast, I'm pretty sure we can deal.

soul101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By soul101

@SirPsychoSexy said:

Sure it starts out with just advertising on a podcast, but I think we know all too well how it may end up.

No Caption Provided

Poor Geoff Keighley, he was such a fresh faced enthusiastic young man. Then Spike got him :( Look at those dead eyes.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By Tylea002

I'd be fine with it, but given that I bought a subscription to support a site without advertisements, that was independent from one of the biggest media conglomerates... It's not something I'd want.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#74  Edited By apathylad

I think I'll be fine with it if its not a prerecorded message. That'll get old really fast.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By InsidiousTuna

Only if they're ads for www.extremerestraints.com , which have made My Brother, My Brother and Me exponentially better. Don't go to that website unless you want to buy fuck toys or a cage for your penis. Do listen to MBMBaM.

ryvythed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ryvythed

Totally cool with ads on the podcast. Can't be cheap to host those bad boys.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Benny

I like how people say "yes, if it's done right" of course you would like it if it was done 'right' because by definition you're okay with it. But what makes it ok?

I don't think they can have game adverts because that would be a conflict of interest, and any product tied in any way to a game would also be at risk (video cards are frequently tied to video game releases for example.)

I wouldn't mind hearing about what games are on offer or if by using a voucher I get 10% off buying games from amazon for example. Totally legit business model that works out in everyone's favor in that kind of situation.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By murisan

I think they should. It's quality content, and they deserve to earn money for producing it.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I wouldn't mind it, so many podcasts do it already. 
@mordukai said:

I actually would like to hear Jeff, Brad, Vinny, and Ryan do some ads. Should be amusing.

It would be great if it just turned into like the whole Sumo Lounge thing Mega64 has going on.
Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FunkasaurasRex said:
I've never gotten the impression that Jeff is particularly fond of advertising, so I feel reasonably confident in the crew's ability to limit its invasiveness. And I genuinely hate most advertising.
I was like this once. Naive. Idealistic. Full of hope for the future. I wish I could go back.
Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Petiew

Ads are fine, as long as it isn't the same one repeated over and over. I have a deep hatred for Starcraft 2 after having to watch the annoying e-sports advert before every single video on the site for months.

Error1355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Error1355

Wouldn't really bother me unless it was forced like a segment or what-not.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Azteck

As long as it isn't in the middle of the podcast I guess I can't really complain.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#84  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I wouldn't mind the Bombcast taking the occasional trip to the "Money Zone" as long as they avoid anything that could be seen as a conflict of interest. I doubt that will be a problem though because I assume they'll stick with the usual suspects of podcast advertisers (Audible, GoDaddy, Squarespace, etc).

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By begilerath

They already mention a lot of brands of stuff they use/buy. It seems they actully believe Nvidia cards are better that AMD (Ati) if they recieve money for what they already do I dont have a problem with that. If they start supporting things they dont actually believe in that would be sleazy. Anyway I dont care much im not from the US so probably most of the advertisement they do its not going to affect me.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By octaslash

@Marokai said:

@FunkasaurasRex said:
I was like this once. Naive. Idealistic. Full of hope for the future. I wish I could go back.

Don't confuse naiveness with optimism. It makes you sound very condescending.

ShenaniganZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ShenaniganZ

will i get a free audiobook?

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Mirado

I don't understand how the addition of adverts in the podcast implies anything morally or ethically wrong. The only "superiority" the crew ever tried to achieve is in the integrity of their reviews; if you are OK with them receiving money for advertising particular games on the site which also get reviewed, then I can't see how this is any different.

As a sub, I wouldn't be happy about having to sit through ads of any kind, but seeing as I'm getting a three (or more) hour long podcast with (probably) no more then five total minutes of ads, that's a ratio I can live with. If you can't stand that, your only tactic is to stop listening in protest, but I'd imagine they'd take a 25% drop (which would be more like 5-10% tops) in listeners if it actually started making them cash in a heartbeat. Also, I'd rather have ads then any degradation in the length or amount (bi-weekly or otherwise) of Bombcast, which is another possible (if unmentioned) scenario.

As it stands, they really aren't getting anything out of one of the more time-consuming things they do every week, as I'd wager a good amount of listeners never even visit the site (and hence, see any ads).

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By chilibean_3

If they can get some money out of the podcast then it would be silly for them not. I doubt it would be the kind of ads where the crew talks about the products or service, more likely just a quick prerecorded ad or two shoved in.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By notdavid

Fuck NO. Staying ad-free is the primary reason I'm a subscriber.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Before and after is fine, or once per hour at worst.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#92  Edited By The_Nubster

@Nightriff: The ads are on Twitch's end, when you get ads during the live stream, not GB's. Since they're just embedding a video player from another site, they have no control over when ads do and do not get played, and for whom.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By RedRoach

What the hell is wrong with some of you people, you seriously have a problem with 30 seconds to a minute of ads within your 3 hour podcast? The Bombcast takes up a shit ton of their time, 3 hours with 5 staff members is 15 man hours, more if you add Ryan having to edit. They put in all that work, they should make some money off of it, somehow.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#94  Edited By Slag

@Marokai said:

The idea of "wacky" advertisements is always good until it's taken too far, and with ads, they are always taken too far. They'll put up more and more and more ads until there's a severe enough backlash. This is the nature of business, and anything else. Give an inch, they'll take a mile, and then they'll keep on taking for as long as they can get away with it. I want Giant Bomb to be better than that. Just because they can't survive on subscription money alone (or, are unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to do so) doesn't mean they have to go the completely shameless route of monetizing every last piece of the site.

just curious but what really is the alternative? They've tried the subscriber thing, they've tried the NPR-esque telethon thing. I guess that leaves referral fees from game shops? I don't think that would work well.

Not that I don't sympathize with you to some degree, but they have come up with the money to run this (and hopefully grow) place from somewhere. And after 4 years they still haven't figured out another way besides ads to support the site, I kinda don't think they are going to.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By captain_clayman

i'm ok with that. it's a 3 hour podcast. i can deal with a minute or two of ads. especially if they're not super rigid, if they can kind of joke around.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By beepmachine

Giant Bomb producing more money = more leeway and clout with CBSi = more resources for the content you love.

JoshyLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#97  Edited By JoshyLee

@mordukai said:

I actually would like to hear Jeff, Brad, Vinny, and Ryan do some ads. Should be amusing.

This. If the guys need to do ads, I'm sure they can do it in an entertaining way. As long as Vinny doesn't say cunt.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MarkWahlberg

It's all fun and games until they start playing condom commercials after Vinny tells one of his baby stories.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By TheHumanDove

enthusiasm for ads...our overlords are pleased!

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHATEVER MAN, GOTTA GET THAT PAPER SON!