#1 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

I guess this isn't specific to the Bombcast, but it's the only stream I listen to on my phone and I don't frequent any android boards, so I'm asking you guys.

I have a 45 minute drive to work and the same back home at least twice a week and I've gotten to where I prefer listening to the guys talk over listening to music, so I stream it through my phone into the car stereo. The only problem is the stupid built in streaming app that launches from the browser won't let me start the stream midway, so on the way home, I have to start at the beginning and then scan forward to where I left off in the morning. Also the timing on the scan is off and it says I'm an hour in when I get around the 20 minute point. On top of all that if the phone falls asleep and I wake it up at any point, it quits the streaming app and forgets where I was.

I tried Google Play's app and not only does it do the same, it has problems listing the Bombcasts in any kind of chronological order, so it's pointless.

I don't want a million "Android sucks" replies and I'm not likely to change phones any time soon. Does anyone know a way around this? An app I could get that's better at dealing with streams? I suppose downloading it would probably solve the problem, but it seems like there should be a simpler solution.

#2 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

I hate to bump, but I'll give this one last shot

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

#3 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

You talking about podcasts? Get the google listen app for that. It downloads podcasts overnight and lets you listen to them lag/freeze/stop free.

#4 Posted by chriwu (18 posts) -

I don't use any podcast programs personally, but i've heard Doggcather podcast player is supposed to be very good (it costs money). For anyone using an Android device you really should check out the xda-developers forum, they have answers to almost all questions android-related.

#5 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

You talking about podcasts? Get the google listen app for that. It downloads podcasts overnight and lets you listen to them lag/freeze/stop free.

thats what i do, works incredibly well, only had one issue ever where it forgot i had listened to all the previous podcasts and downloaded 2gb worth of back catalog

#6 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Yes, I have Live. It's what I meant when I mistakenly said "Google Play's app". I'll give it another try and see, maybe I was using it wrong.

@chriwu: I'll look into Doggcather. I don't often pay for apps, but if it streams and lets you enter a podcast midstream and doesn't require a full download it might be worth it. I'll check out that forum as well.

#7 Posted by Theory (85 posts) -

I recommend doggcatcher, it's worth the money if you're into podcasts. To address your problem, it remembers where you left off for each episode.

#8 Posted by eliotie (29 posts) -

I personally use beyondPod. Keeps track of where you are in each podcast and you can tell it exactly when to check for new episodes.

#9 Posted by phuzzybunny (173 posts) -

I use the Google Listen App to listen to the Bombcast. Works great and you can start anywhere.

#10 Posted by resifreak (25 posts) -

couldn't you just download it as an MP3 and play it back on the device and delete afterwards?

#11 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

@resifreak: Of course, but what's the point of having streaming apps on a device if you have to do that for everything? I would never even look at 99.9% of YouTube if I had to download everything 100% before watching it. But I do watch them, because I can just jump around and watch anything without a lot of planning ahead and I can skip parts and start from wherever I want in each video.

#12 Posted by resifreak (25 posts) -

@oraknabo: that's true, i have the odd issue with streaming pod-casts using iTunes ( i have the iPhone4) so as your on android i know its a whole different issue

#13 Posted by Solh0und (1855 posts) -

I just download the Mp3 on my phone. I'll have to check out Google listen.

#14 Posted by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

I just download the Mp3 on my phone. I'll have to check out Google listen.

I can't seem to do that on mine, not through the browser at least. If I tap on the "Download MP3" button, it starts streaming the file. But if I press and hold on the button, it thinks I want to save the button's image file. Anyone else have this issue?

#15 Posted by Solh0und (1855 posts) -
@BBAlpert said:

@Solh0und said:

I just download the Mp3 on my phone. I'll have to check out Google listen.

I can't seem to do that on mine, not through the browser at least. If I tap on the "Download MP3" button, it starts streaming the file. But if I press and hold on the button, it thinks I want to save the button's image file. Anyone else have this issue?

Try "save link as.." when you do it next time. 
#16 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

I personally recommend Pocket Casts just because it works well, and the UI is perfect. It also has a decent widget if you listen to podcasts a lot.

#17 Posted by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

@BBAlpert said:

@Solh0und said:

I just download the Mp3 on my phone. I'll have to check out Google listen.

I can't seem to do that on mine, not through the browser at least. If I tap on the "Download MP3" button, it starts streaming the file. But if I press and hold on the button, it thinks I want to save the button's image file. Anyone else have this issue?

Try "save link as.." when you do it next time.

I can do that fine on a computer, but I meant (and probably should have actually mentioned) that the "Save link as..." option isn't showing up when I go to the page through the Android default browser. I'm running version 4.0.4, if that makes any difference.