• 109 results
Bigby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bigby

Say it ain't so, Jeff. No love for the Android platform? Only for iOS and Win7? Cmon, cmoooooooooooon. Anyone else share the sentiment of no android love?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

I'm Windows 7 because yeah.. I hate android. I'd go iOS but then I've gotta deal with iTunes for PC and fuck that because its horrible.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This isn't the first time Jeff has disliked something that other people have liked. Remember Red Dead Redemption? Or tons of other things? Opinions! AAH!

I'm indifferent toward Android. I don't have a smartphone.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

There's a lot of love for Android at Tested. I have one myself and I have no qualms with it. Then again at the very most my phone is a high tech watch since the only text messages I get are from my network provider.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Phatmac

Yeah Android sucks. This is coming from an Android user that doesn't have enough money to get an Iphone. There is a reason why people shit on Android. It just isn't user friendly at all. Inexpensive yes, but still sucks compared to the competition.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By AuthenticM

@MooseyMcMan: What's infuriating is he doesn't explain why. He's just spitballing hate.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

Android is terrible.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Toxeia

Turns out Android's pretty crappy when it comes to user experience thanks to phone manufacturers shitting all over the OS :( Android stock is pretty nice though. I'm all for WinPho8 though.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@AuthenticM: Then ask him on Formspring. He answers all sorts of questions there.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By UnrealDP

From what little amount of time I've spent with Android, it's felt like a smartphone that's attempting and failing to create it's own style by aping from IOS.What I'm saying is I wouldn't blame anyone for hating Android and it's not like hating Android is taboo in our society, but hating Apple on the other hand....

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Android is pretty neat for developers. But for the laymen iOS is just easier to recommend.

I've used both platforms and in my personal opinion it's kind of like choosing to use DWM or Awesome instead of Gnome/XFCE on Linux. One is for people who like to optimize and tweak their workspace and one is for someone who just wants something that works and doesn't want to deal with editing config files daily. Android isn't the greatest experience out of the box, there are tweaks and hacks that improve it, but there are people who just want to something that works and is compatible with what their friends use.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Some of the other duders have shat on it as well on the Bombcast, not just Jeff.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By djstyles92

I like android a hell of a lot more than iOS =/

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Phatmac said:

Yeah Android sucks. This is coming from an Android user that doesn't have enough money to get an Iphone. There is a reason why people shit on Android. It just isn't user friendly at all. Inexpensive yes, but still sucks compared to the competition.

You should probably try some of the higher end Androids. They shit on all things iOS and Windows phone. Galaxy Nexus or upcoming Galaxy S3. For example of iPhone and Windows phone shittyness, why can't I just drag and drop movies into a folder and watch without conversion? I watch 720P MKV episodes of whatever on my phone and it takes 20 seconds to transfer. No bullshit conversion required ala iTunes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Animasta

since an android phone is the only smartphone I've ever had, I have no problems with it vOv

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dallas_Raines

There's just so many versions and splinters of Android, that I seriously doubt Jeff or Ryan have ever used pure ICS.(Which supposedly brings it up to IOS in terms of general accessibility.)

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onarum

I don't get this "accessibility" thing, I just got a galaxy S2 from my company (I myself will NEVER spend that kind of money on a freaking phone) and it's a breeze to use, completely seamless to download stuff out of the play store and launch it readily, easy to navigate, pretty fast etc.

if I ever had to actually buy a smart phone it would be android all the way, I don't see why I should pay for a ridiculously overpriced piece of hardware just because it has a image of a half eaten apple on it.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I don't mind my android, but its the first smart phone I've owned so I have nothing to compare it to.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Brunchies

All this android hate saddens me, I absolutely love that a functional linux distro is on my phone. Also when android is rooted, the freedom you get is just so much greater then what you can ever get with IOS and that's saying something considering the possibilities are almost endless with a jailbreak.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

Well it's not their fault Android is a sloppy mess of a platform.

The phones are alright, that's not the problem. It's that software is fucked on it. The open nature hasn't worked to their advantage. You can buy a brand new Android phone today and have a OS revision ranging from a couple months ago to a couple years ago, the platform is a total toss-up. They should have enforced some standards.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Brunchies:

Hey, you got Dave on your side at least.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By JasonR86

Seriously?

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Solh0und

@LiquidPrince said:

@Phatmac said:

You should probably try some of the higher end Androids. They shit on all things iOS and Windows phone. Galaxy Nexus or upcoming Galaxy S3. For example of iPhone and Windows phone shittyness, why can't I just drag and drop movies into a folder and watch without conversion? I watch 720P MKV episodes of whatever on my phone and it takes 20 seconds to transfer. No bullshit conversion required ala iTunes.

Basically this.

I've messed around with some of the apps for the later android versions and I find them more interesting then whatever WP7 and IOS is doing.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By toowalrus

I'm usin' android now. It's fuckin' slow, I have to force quit programs all the time, the browser's not great either and it keeps giving me notifications that it can't log me into some youtube account that doesn't actually exist, and there's no way to tell it to quit trying. If it wasn't for this rad D-pad and buttons, I'd be using an iPhone undoubtedly.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mpgeist

Pretty happy with my Galaxy S2.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mercy_

I've had my Droid X for a year and I hate it T___T

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

Android tries to evolve iOS with extremely polarizing results. iOS is a little dated and it's navigation is slightly muddled (coming from a WP user). WP is fast, reliable and looks amazing. That's all I have to say on the matter. iOS and WP7 are definitely the better of the phones out there right now. I didn't know he was an advocate for WP. Good on him.

Bigby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bigby

The higher end phones are pretty exceptional on the Android experience. Stock or custom ROMS usually work better than whatever the retailers have put on there to single out their phone from others which usually doesn't work quite as well as a vanilla ROM. I can understand some only want a pick up and go kind of experience on their phone and that's fine. I myself like the ability personalize everything on the phone UI and make it more tailored for what I want my phone to do. This does not sit well with everyone but then again that's why there is more than one phone OS out there.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#29  Edited By Kidavenger

If you spent the same amount of money on an Android phone as what it costs for an iphone, you get a better phone, getting mad at android because you bought a cheap phone is retarded.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Milkman

Had an Android phone for a couple years and switched to iOS about a year ago. It's like night and day.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

@Kidavenger said:

If you spent the same amount of money on an Android phone as what it costs for an iphone, you get a better phone, getting mad at android because you bought a cheap phone is retarded.

A smartphone OS should be able to work properly across all variants of its phones. It's one of the reasons why WP7 and iOS are lauded so much, all phones run the same because Microsoft has set strict standards on the hardware manufacturers (And Apple obviously only has one model released each year, with OS compatibility on previous devices). Which is a GOOD thing, because look how how divisive the opinions of Android owners are.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#32  Edited By zidd

The only Android phones worth buying are the Nexus ones. All of the other ones are shat out and abandoned by their manufacturers weeks after release. Stock Android 4.0 is actually a pretty nice OS its a shame that most people will never, ever see it as it was intended to be seen.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mordukai

@Demoskinos said:

I'm Windows 7 because yeah.. I hate android. I'd go iOS but then I've gotta deal with iTunes for PC and fuck that because its horrible.

What's so horrible about it? I've been using on windows and it seems to be working the same way as on my macs.

thecashewkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thecashewkid

I've never used android as a phone os, but installed android on my HP Touchpad because it's a lot better than WebOS. It's fine, it's got its charms, but it's not friendly and the Android Marketplace/Google Play are terrible places to search for and discover software. That's weird, too, cuz it's Google and everything and that's what they do, but I'm not a fan.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By HadesTimes

I believe most of the Giant Bomb gents are in love with their Apple devices. I thought Brad had a Windows Phone.... Lol... I love Android. Anything where I don't have to pay a company for something SOLELY for the name, I'm all in favor of. Apple has been doing this for years. ATT? Give me a break. If I wanted terrible customer service and a crazy runaround every time I had a problem I'd still have cable television.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bribo

Good god, if I yawned any harder I could fit an office chair into my mouth.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Android is awesome. I'm not here to sway public opinion but having used both extensively I have to say that Apple does things wrong in so many ways and people just don't know any better.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#38  Edited By gla55jAw

Android is awesome. I got a Incredible 2 a few months ago and I love it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Phatmac

@LiquidPrince said:

@Phatmac said:

Problem is that I have most of my apps on IOS already. I'm already full integrated with the IOS platform. It's too late to change now. Not saying that Android sucks in general, it's just my personal experience with it.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By buzz_clik

I've never owned an iPhone, so when I got my Nexus I was totally fine with Android. Now I've upgraded to ICS, though, I'm actually really enjoying it.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thornie

@MikkaQ said:

The phones are alright, that's not the problem. It's that software is fucked on it. The open nature hasn't worked to their advantage. You can buy a brand new Android phone today and have a OS revision ranging from a couple months ago to a couple years ago, the platform is a total toss-up. They should have enforced some standards.

Bingo. Also, before someone mentions, "just unlock it and install a custom os". No. I don't want to fiddle with my phone os's. I want it to work. WinMoPho7 and iPhones enforce optimized standardization across all of their devices. Something Android desperately needs.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SSully

Android is great in concept, but god damnit do I wish the marketplace was better, and there was unification on OS upgrades. Having fragmentation with the different version is horrible for app developers. It also could be a bit better at being user friendly. As a person who is pretty good with tech, I have no issues with my android phone, but my parents have had their fair share of problems with things that could easily be simpler.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MC_Hify

I've used Android and iOS and I think they are pretty much the same, I really don't get the hate for Android.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By butano

I'm a little mixed with Android. Owned the iPhone 3G for two years, switched over to a Samsung Focus WP7 the day it came out, and got the Asus Transformer last September.

The biggest thing for me is to not tie myself down into an ecosystem I wouldn't be able to live without. Pretty much every app I use I picked up for free (aside from c4droid, impressive little C/C++ compiler for being on a tablet), so I never worry if I switch over to a different phone with a new ecosystem.

Android is really hit or miss on devices. My Transformer was great with Honeycomb, even if there were a few quirks about it, but the tablet definitely took a hit in performance when I put the ICS update on it. It works most of the time, and I like some of the changes they made with it, but new bugs appeared with it (randomly resets itself, sometimes will wake itself from sleep, etc.) that I don't really think I'd get with iOS or WP7. With Android, I feel like the goal of it is to get the next update out as soon as possible, and then get feedback over what's broken about it to put in the next update which may or may not come out for my device. Pretty much a glorified beta test.

My biggest complaint about it is the marketplace, though. Not the quantity or quality of apps on it, but the users who rate something 1 star on an app because "omg they look at wifi data" or "OpenFeint is on it, kill it with fire." The animosity users have on it is outrageous, and one that I don't experience on WP7 and didn't experience much when I was using my iPhone back then.

At the moment, my preference leans to Windows Phone 7. The user experience has been fluid and it feels just as fast today as it did when I first bought it. The only issue I had was the battery life, which was an easy fix by putting a new battery in it about a week ago (something I couldn't do with my iPhone 3G). Can't wait to see what they put out with Apollo.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@thornie said:

@MikkaQ said:

Bingo. Also, before someone mentions, "just unlock it and install a custom os". No. I don't want to fiddle with my phone os's. I want it to work. WinMoPho7 and iPhones enforce optimized standardization across all of their devices. Something Android desperately needs.

LOL. Android doesn't need that at all. Android phones come in a variety of versions for a reason. Android users like their extensibility and app sellers seem to be doing OK despite some wanky 'horror stories' from iOS developers who can't seem to migrate (because they're dumb and lazy). If you don't want to fiddle with your phone, you don't have to. Either buy a premium Droid or look elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Android is there for people who want to be able to do what they want with the hardware they purchased and while it may not please you it certainly pleases others.

Android doesn't need to be anything else but Android.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Jeust

I have an android tablet and phone, but I prefer IOS, as it seems to have better assistance.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ben_H
@mordukai said:

@Demoskinos said:

What's so horrible about it? I've been using on windows and it seems to be working the same way as on my macs.

You don't even need iTunes on a computer with iOS 5 and on. My iPad hasn't been connected to a single computer. You just log into your iTunes account from the device and you are set. I guess the issue comes if you want to put music on your device, which I don't with my iPad. 

My phone is Android, my next phone probably will be as well, but I must say I will never buy a non-Nexus device again. Android's such a mess right now. All of the manufacturer skins, UIs, and whatnot seem to break the phones over time and it just seems to be getting worse. Luckily, my carrier sells the pure stock Galaxy Nexus with no carrier apps unlike some US GN sellers seem to add to the phone.  However, if they aren't selling the Galaxy Nexus when I upgrade in a couple months I'm going to iOS or maybe WP7 (I really dig the Lumia 900). I'm not getting a Galaxy S 3, I've had enough of Samsung screwing up their phones with terrible UIs. 

And for people saying it's only low end Android that's awful, I have a Galaxy S, which was top of the line when I got it in 2010, and it is absolutely terrible two years in (In Canada we have 3 year contracts still, which a travesty in itself). It overheats, runs like a snail, and has a battery life of 8 hours unless everything is disabled (I have an app automated to do that for me now).  Android just moves too fast for the devices, and that combined with manufacturers screwing up the few updates they give with buggy UI changes and skins, it is killing the platform.  My phone can easily run Android 4.0 (there are functioning versions available) but Samsung insists it can't so I won't be getting anymore updates for it, and haven't since last summer.  Manufacturers do not support their phones for the normal contract length, and this is a huge problem.  Google needs to start forcing manufacturers to update or if they won't, allow users to have stock Android so they can keep it updated. It is unacceptable that Android does not have these standards when their competition has offered such smooth, unified updates across their devices.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#48  Edited By LordAndrew

I have an SSH and Telnet client, a full desktop keyboard IME, a BusyBox installation that works on non-rooted phones and includes Java and Android development tools, yet another app for developing Android applications, and an alternate marketplace with only free and open source software. Of course GPL-licensed software can still go on the Google Play Store because it doesn't conflict with the terms of use, but it's nice to have options. These are reasons why I love Android. The user experience my not be up to iOS level yet, but it's very versatile.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#49  Edited By zidd

@Ben_H: I had the US version of that phone and can confirm its a bad phone. I ditched it for a Galaxy Nexus a few months ago. You should try putting cyanogen on it though because it made that phone a lot better when I was using it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Having owned both, I will never buy an iOS device again.