Bombcast Breakdown!! - 8.5.2008 - #30

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Edited By matthew

Because two exclamation marks means you're super serial about it! 

I have this weird goal of going through each show and taking copious notes, as this whole college thing has taught me.   You can find all of the previous entries in this series via my blog, the Bombcast forum, or simply by searching up top.  Whenever there is pertinent discussion on a given topic/game/person, I'll do my best to link that individual Breakdown to that particular page.

This is a fluid list.  Beta as its popular to be known as.  Things are going to be dynamic, pertaining to formatting and such, until I get a feel for how things are going to turn out.  Categories may be added, renamed, or simply taken away on 'cast to 'cast basis. Let me know if you see something wrong!  This is as much mine as it is yours!  

Legend:   

• Voices - obvious enough, who's in the podcast
  • Reviewed - initially going to be reserved for the taste testing they did early on in the series, will see how things turn out later when they start phasing it out 
  • Movies mentioned - despite being a videogame-centric podcast, these guys have some serious debates on movies and people/ideas pertaining to them
  • Games mentioned - games/game series mentioned on the 'cast.  Listed if the game has some type of discussion or context behind it, not simply if name dropped
  • Companies Mentioned - these guys spit knowledge about companies like nobodies business.  best to catalog it all to be held against them
  • Names dropped - much like the games mentioned, people mentioned if it pertains to the 'cast
  • Out of context quotes - the tiny crazy bits we all love our boys saying.  taken directly out of context makes it even more hilarious
  • Timestamps-the parts of the 'cast that are fairly easy to distinguish with Ryans segway ability.  Oft times these will seamless lead into a bigger discussion on the topic
  • Definitive quotes - the bits where they're all business, and give their honest opinion/prediction on a topic. If you were to jump to a time in the 'cast, these would be it
  • General notes - ideas I've garnered from the crew during the 'cast
  • ******* - multiple astricks denote a few minutes of the 'cast you'd do well listening to, if for nothing else than the hilarity/gravitas of it all     
  • 1+ - denotes where they talk about a certain topic for more than a minute, instead of simply dropping the name in there for no discussion.

Giant Bombcast ep.21  --  8.5.2008

Voices

Ryan Davis
Vinny Caravella
Brad Shoemaker 
Jeff Gerstmann

Reviewed

• Hemp Milk (2.29)
  • Chocolate Hemp Milk (6.25)
  • Organic Oat Non Dairy Beverage (8.52)

Names Dropped

Companies Mentioned

• Spicy Horse (18.08)
  • N Light (18.16)
  • Team ICO (1.07.03)                                                                                                  1+

Games Mentioned

• Braid (5.50)
  • Titan Quest (15.08)
  • American Mcgee's Grim (15.40)                                                                                      1+
  • Eden (15.47, 20.06)                                                                                                      1+
  • Postal (16.52)
  • Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (18.57)
  • Cyber Empires (19.55)
  • Soul Calibur IV (21.24, 23.00, 49.54)                                                                                            1+
  • Uncharted Drakes Fortune (22.36)
  • Tekken 6 (30.09)
  • Skate 2 - franchise (30.55)                                                                                           1+
  • Alone in the Dark (33.45)                                                                                         +1
  • Geometry Wars 2 (39.41, 59.59)                                                                                                    1+
  • Final Fantasy IV (46.38)
  • Ridge Racer 6 (52.23)
  • Burnout Paradise (53.39)                                                                                           1+
  • The Last Guy (1.02.30)                                                                                             1+
  • The Last Guardian (1.07.03)                                                                                              1+
  • Flower (1.10.23)                                                                                                            1+
  • Left 4 Dead (1.23.14)
  • Gears of War 2 (1.23.43, 1.38.05)
  • Little Big Planet (1.25.03)
  • Red Alert 3 (1.26.44)
  • Empire Total War (1.26.57)
  • Stormrise (1.27.12)
  • Tom Clancy's End War (1.27.43)
  • Street Fighter IV (1.29.17)
  • Madden 09 (1.30.02)
  • Pure (1.31.54)
  • Fallout 3 (1.32.46, 1.50.50)
  • Oblivion (1.33.55)
  • Dead Space (1.35.05)                                                                                                 1+
  • Dark Void (1.35.30)
  • Far Cry 2 (1.37.44)
  • Resistance Retribution (1.42.19)
  • Mirrors Edge (1.46.44)

Out of Context Quotes

• I tested it for you.  I tested it by turning it all the way down.  shut up while i'm introducing the show brad - ryan (.22)
  • theres a very detestable organic market around the corner from our offices.  they don't sell coke - ryan (2.06)
  • we're committed to sustainable agriculture and sandals - jeff (3.18)
  • so this is like pinata mlik then?  milk from horstiachio - brad (5.02)
  • you know what I like? some regular ass milk! - jeff (9.24)
  • this hemp apple is 23% more effeciant than a regular apple - jeff (13.39)
  • I'm done with games that have something called a butt stomp. - vinny (16.22)
  • i watched you light a chair on fire and beat a zombie with it - ryan (34.00)
  • don't drink a large coffee and a bottled water and several kinds of hippie milk directly prior to and even during your podcast - brad (48.49)
  • don't milk a hippie. you won't like what comes out - ryan (49.00)
  • I'm more curious as to how you guys want to be touched because they have failed to touch you thus far - brad (1.08.04)
  • yea, what is flower?  what is that? - brad (1.10.30)
  • we're probably one of the most public and well known drink testing publicatins on the internet right now - ryan (1.20.08)
  • I'm on board with the what does casual even mean arguement at this point - jeff (1.25.17)

Definitive Quotes

• everytime I breathe, I taste it.  I don't like that in a drink - vinny (6.02)
  • I am six foot three.  Milk is ok! - jeff (11.31)
  • if your body is somehow weak, if you're a communist and you can't drink real milk then I understand fine, you have to make do with fake milk. its a sad existance but hey.  but if you're not drinking milk by choice...what kind of life are you leading? - jeff (11.43)
  • having a minimalst soundtrack doesn't make your emo and cool.  well maybe it makes it emo but it doesnt make it a better game - vinny (21.00)
  • for what its worth, I have very little interest in either of those games - jeff pertaining to Ico and Shadow of the Collossus (22.15)
  • that game looks desparate - jeff pertaining to the status of the Soul Calibur franchise (24.35)
  • when you're dealing with the wii or the ds you cant expect those exacting controls from what those systems have to offer - ryan (46.03)
  • Dude, best looking grass of any game ever - ryan about Flower grass (1.11.29)
  • I think we've reached a point with criticism of game reviewers where people have to start naming names - jeff (1.14.49)
  • you put storm in your title you are begging to be forgotten.  it just blends in with every other title - ryan (1.27.31)

Timestamps

• Drank Testing (1.10-14.58)
  • What you playin guys? (15.02-48.04)
  • News of the World (48.06-1.52.57)
  • Break thanks to Brad!! (48.10)
  • News of the World (49.45)
  1. Soul Calibur IV dlc shinanigans (49.54)
  2. More free awesome dlc for Burnout (53.39)
  3. 3D camera in geometry wars 2 (59.59)
  4. The Last Guy coming to US (1.02.30)
  5. Team ICO hyping The Last Guardian (1.07.03)
  6. Game Reviewers are lazy (1.13.50)                                                                      ************
  7. Lets talk about E3 awards (1.21.42)
  • New Releases (1.53.00)
  1. Braid (1.53.12)
  2. B Boy (1.53.17)
  3. Monster Madness Grave Danger (1.53.22)
  4. Wild West Guns (1.53.34)
  5. Splatterhouse 2 (1.53.40)
  6. Sonic the Hedgehog (1.53.55)
  • Emails (1.55.09)
  1. which joker is your MK joker (1.55.18)
  2. why you hatin on canada (1.56.37)
  3. is fable 2 good enough to justify a system (1.58.00)
  4. rumored rock band buyback program (2.00.38)                                                            *************
  5. Voice File (2.07.00)                                                                         ************

General Notes

• jeff has this really good stoner voice he does throughout the early part of the 'cast, specially during the drink section
  • Brad is sounding extra sultry for this show
  • (1.44.14) 1st mention of Carbon Neutral Games?
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By matthew

Because two exclamation marks means you're super serial about it! 

I have this weird goal of going through each show and taking copious notes, as this whole college thing has taught me.   You can find all of the previous entries in this series via my blog, the Bombcast forum, or simply by searching up top.  Whenever there is pertinent discussion on a given topic/game/person, I'll do my best to link that individual Breakdown to that particular page.

This is a fluid list.  Beta as its popular to be known as.  Things are going to be dynamic, pertaining to formatting and such, until I get a feel for how things are going to turn out.  Categories may be added, renamed, or simply taken away on 'cast to 'cast basis. Let me know if you see something wrong!  This is as much mine as it is yours!  

Legend:   

• Voices - obvious enough, who's in the podcast
  • Reviewed - initially going to be reserved for the taste testing they did early on in the series, will see how things turn out later when they start phasing it out 
  • Movies mentioned - despite being a videogame-centric podcast, these guys have some serious debates on movies and people/ideas pertaining to them
  • Games mentioned - games/game series mentioned on the 'cast.  Listed if the game has some type of discussion or context behind it, not simply if name dropped
  • Companies Mentioned - these guys spit knowledge about companies like nobodies business.  best to catalog it all to be held against them
  • Names dropped - much like the games mentioned, people mentioned if it pertains to the 'cast
  • Out of context quotes - the tiny crazy bits we all love our boys saying.  taken directly out of context makes it even more hilarious
  • Timestamps-the parts of the 'cast that are fairly easy to distinguish with Ryans segway ability.  Oft times these will seamless lead into a bigger discussion on the topic
  • Definitive quotes - the bits where they're all business, and give their honest opinion/prediction on a topic. If you were to jump to a time in the 'cast, these would be it
  • General notes - ideas I've garnered from the crew during the 'cast
  • ******* - multiple astricks denote a few minutes of the 'cast you'd do well listening to, if for nothing else than the hilarity/gravitas of it all     
  • 1+ - denotes where they talk about a certain topic for more than a minute, instead of simply dropping the name in there for no discussion.

Giant Bombcast ep.21  --  8.5.2008

Voices

Ryan Davis
Vinny Caravella
Brad Shoemaker 
Jeff Gerstmann

Reviewed

• Hemp Milk (2.29)
  • Chocolate Hemp Milk (6.25)
  • Organic Oat Non Dairy Beverage (8.52)

Names Dropped

Companies Mentioned

• Spicy Horse (18.08)
  • N Light (18.16)
  • Team ICO (1.07.03)                                                                                                  1+

Games Mentioned

• Braid (5.50)
  • Titan Quest (15.08)
  • American Mcgee's Grim (15.40)                                                                                      1+
  • Eden (15.47, 20.06)                                                                                                      1+
  • Postal (16.52)
  • Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (18.57)
  • Cyber Empires (19.55)
  • Soul Calibur IV (21.24, 23.00, 49.54)                                                                                            1+
  • Uncharted Drakes Fortune (22.36)
  • Tekken 6 (30.09)
  • Skate 2 - franchise (30.55)                                                                                           1+
  • Alone in the Dark (33.45)                                                                                         +1
  • Geometry Wars 2 (39.41, 59.59)                                                                                                    1+
  • Final Fantasy IV (46.38)
  • Ridge Racer 6 (52.23)
  • Burnout Paradise (53.39)                                                                                           1+
  • The Last Guy (1.02.30)                                                                                             1+
  • The Last Guardian (1.07.03)                                                                                              1+
  • Flower (1.10.23)                                                                                                            1+
  • Left 4 Dead (1.23.14)
  • Gears of War 2 (1.23.43, 1.38.05)
  • Little Big Planet (1.25.03)
  • Red Alert 3 (1.26.44)
  • Empire Total War (1.26.57)
  • Stormrise (1.27.12)
  • Tom Clancy's End War (1.27.43)
  • Street Fighter IV (1.29.17)
  • Madden 09 (1.30.02)
  • Pure (1.31.54)
  • Fallout 3 (1.32.46, 1.50.50)
  • Oblivion (1.33.55)
  • Dead Space (1.35.05)                                                                                                 1+
  • Dark Void (1.35.30)
  • Far Cry 2 (1.37.44)
  • Resistance Retribution (1.42.19)
  • Mirrors Edge (1.46.44)

Out of Context Quotes

• I tested it for you.  I tested it by turning it all the way down.  shut up while i'm introducing the show brad - ryan (.22)
  • theres a very detestable organic market around the corner from our offices.  they don't sell coke - ryan (2.06)
  • we're committed to sustainable agriculture and sandals - jeff (3.18)
  • so this is like pinata mlik then?  milk from horstiachio - brad (5.02)
  • you know what I like? some regular ass milk! - jeff (9.24)
  • this hemp apple is 23% more effeciant than a regular apple - jeff (13.39)
  • I'm done with games that have something called a butt stomp. - vinny (16.22)
  • i watched you light a chair on fire and beat a zombie with it - ryan (34.00)
  • don't drink a large coffee and a bottled water and several kinds of hippie milk directly prior to and even during your podcast - brad (48.49)
  • don't milk a hippie. you won't like what comes out - ryan (49.00)
  • I'm more curious as to how you guys want to be touched because they have failed to touch you thus far - brad (1.08.04)
  • yea, what is flower?  what is that? - brad (1.10.30)
  • we're probably one of the most public and well known drink testing publicatins on the internet right now - ryan (1.20.08)
  • I'm on board with the what does casual even mean arguement at this point - jeff (1.25.17)

Definitive Quotes

• everytime I breathe, I taste it.  I don't like that in a drink - vinny (6.02)
  • I am six foot three.  Milk is ok! - jeff (11.31)
  • if your body is somehow weak, if you're a communist and you can't drink real milk then I understand fine, you have to make do with fake milk. its a sad existance but hey.  but if you're not drinking milk by choice...what kind of life are you leading? - jeff (11.43)
  • having a minimalst soundtrack doesn't make your emo and cool.  well maybe it makes it emo but it doesnt make it a better game - vinny (21.00)
  • for what its worth, I have very little interest in either of those games - jeff pertaining to Ico and Shadow of the Collossus (22.15)
  • that game looks desparate - jeff pertaining to the status of the Soul Calibur franchise (24.35)
  • when you're dealing with the wii or the ds you cant expect those exacting controls from what those systems have to offer - ryan (46.03)
  • Dude, best looking grass of any game ever - ryan about Flower grass (1.11.29)
  • I think we've reached a point with criticism of game reviewers where people have to start naming names - jeff (1.14.49)
  • you put storm in your title you are begging to be forgotten.  it just blends in with every other title - ryan (1.27.31)

Timestamps

• Drank Testing (1.10-14.58)
  • What you playin guys? (15.02-48.04)
  • News of the World (48.06-1.52.57)
  • Break thanks to Brad!! (48.10)
  • News of the World (49.45)
  1. Soul Calibur IV dlc shinanigans (49.54)
  2. More free awesome dlc for Burnout (53.39)
  3. 3D camera in geometry wars 2 (59.59)
  4. The Last Guy coming to US (1.02.30)
  5. Team ICO hyping The Last Guardian (1.07.03)
  6. Game Reviewers are lazy (1.13.50)                                                                      ************
  7. Lets talk about E3 awards (1.21.42)
  • New Releases (1.53.00)
  1. Braid (1.53.12)
  2. B Boy (1.53.17)
  3. Monster Madness Grave Danger (1.53.22)
  4. Wild West Guns (1.53.34)
  5. Splatterhouse 2 (1.53.40)
  6. Sonic the Hedgehog (1.53.55)
  • Emails (1.55.09)
  1. which joker is your MK joker (1.55.18)
  2. why you hatin on canada (1.56.37)
  3. is fable 2 good enough to justify a system (1.58.00)
  4. rumored rock band buyback program (2.00.38)                                                            *************
  5. Voice File (2.07.00)                                                                         ************

General Notes

• jeff has this really good stoner voice he does throughout the early part of the 'cast, specially during the drink section
  • Brad is sounding extra sultry for this show
  • (1.44.14) 1st mention of Carbon Neutral Games?
PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PS3RG

Did Jeff ever play SoTC?

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By matthew
@PS3RG said:
" Did Jeff ever play SoTC? "
Yea, at 1.08.13 he flat out says he hasn't played SoTC.  What a shame.  Looks like Vinny and Brad are our guys for the Team ICO goodness.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

"I think we've reached a point with criticism of game reviewers where people have to start naming names - jeff (1.14.49)"

That's a funny quote and very much relevant today.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matthew
@Claude said:
" "I think we've reached a point with criticism of game reviewers where people have to start naming names - jeff (1.14.49)"  That's a funny quote and very much relevant today. "
Got that right man.  And just think how it was 2 years ago.  Thats why it had to go into the Definitive Quotes section...specially if its still (if not moreso) relevant today.
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By aurahack

I love that post so much I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By matthew
@aurahack said:
" I love that post so much I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant. "
Thanks. . . . I think.  Just be sure you play nice with her 29 other friends though...it's bad manners to just favor one you know.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Awesome. This looks like a pretty good podcast to relisten to.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ThePickle

This was one of my favorites. I think I'll give it another listen. 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Red12b

good stuff dude, been waiting for this.