Bombcast Breakdown!! - 9.12.2008 - #38

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Edited By matthew

Because two exclamation marks means you're super serial about it!

I have this weird goal of going through each show and taking copious notes, as this whole college thing has taught me. You can find all of the previous entries in this series via my blog, the Bombcast forum, or simply by searching up top. Whenever there is pertinent discussion on a given topic/game/person, I'll do my best to link that individual Breakdown to that particular page.

This is a fluid list. Beta as its popular to be known as. Things are going to be dynamic, pertaining to formatting and such, until I get a feel for how things are going to turn out. Categories may be added, renamed, or simply taken away on 'cast to 'cast basis. Let me know if you see something wrong! This is as much mine as it is yours!

Legend:

• Voices - obvious enough, who's in the podcast
  • Reviewed - initially going to be reserved for the taste testing they did early on in the series, will see how things turn out later when they start phasing it out
  • Movies mentioned - despite being a videogame-centric podcast, these guys have some serious debates on movies and people/ideas pertaining to them
  • Games mentioned - games/game series mentioned on the 'cast. Listed if the game has some type of discussion or context behind it, not simply if name dropped
  • Companies Mentioned - these guys spit knowledge about companies like nobodies business. best to catalog it all to be held against them
  • Names dropped - much like the games mentioned, people mentioned if it pertains to the 'cast
  • Out of context quotes - the tiny crazy bits we all love our boys saying. taken directly out of context makes it even more hilarious
  • Timestamps - the parts of the 'cast that are fairly easy to distinguish with Ryans segway ability. Oft times these will seamless lead into a bigger discussion on the topic
  • Definitive quotes - the bits where they're all business, and give their honest opinion/prediction on a topic. If you were to jump to a time in the 'cast, these would be it
  • General notes - ideas I've garnered from the crew during the 'cast
  • ******* - multiple astricks denote a few minutes of the 'cast you'd do well listening to, if for nothing else than the hilarity/gravitas of it all
  • 1+ - denotes where they talk about a certain topic for more than a minute, instead of simply dropping the name in there for no discussion.

Giant Bombcast Spore Edition ep.36 -- 9.12.2008

• Giant Bomb Basement

Names Dropped

Companies Mentioned

Games Mentioned

Out of Context Quotes

• Vinny's pregnant. He's a teen mother, and you guys are going to talk me into keeping the baby - vinny (.29)
  • I'm keeping the baby - vinny (2.01)
  • You put spikes on a guy, you hit guys with your spikes - vinny (2.54)
  • As we go along I will point out all the things I don't like about Spore - jeff (4.58)
  • Being an herbivore makes you religious - brad (5.45)
  • They'll give you their parts - vinny (7.44)
  • I roleplayed Spore - vinney (9.48)
  • Oh wait I can totally drag the spine around - jeff (10.29)
  • Paws to claws baby - vinny (11.47)
  • Tell me more about dancing - ryan (13.30)
  • i thought it was really funny, graphically, the image for proselytizing to another city is like, all your vehicles kinda mass and project this huge hologram version of your creature like preaching to the city in simlish - brad (29.28)
  • And its insta build baby, just pop the button and it goes wopwopwopwopwopwopwopwopwop - vinny (30.14)
  • He who controls the spice - vinny (30.54)
  • What do you think the shortest speed run for spore is gonna be? - ryan (33.42)
  • Then you hit space, and then the game starts - vinny (37.30)
  • It's like, dirt in my fingernails, one atom, that could be an entire universe - ryan (48.20)
  • There are about 100 different ways you can piss people off - brad (51.26)
  • I have accidentally launched my planet destroying bomb twice now, and people don't like that - vinny (53.30)
  • I don't know if you know this about space, but it is really big - jeff (1.00.34)
  • IKEA ships, obviously - jeff (1.02.14)
  • Kill everyone, the Vinny way - ryan (1.06.28)
  • What if the Cheetah was the dominate species on earth? Go - jeff (1.07.08)

Definitive Quotes

• As a reviewer, everyone knows you don't go back and play a game again unless you like it - brad (1.20)
  • It's weird to me to see that they tried to spin that game as science - jeff (11.02)
  • If Spore were an MMO, it would be amazing if there were the limiting factors to keep out the griefers - brad (17.47)
  • I came to this part where a alot of game reviewers probably struggle with, and thats the like, how much uninteresting or unexciting gameplay are you willing to put up with before the game "gets good" - jeff (23.38)
  • It seems like a real time strategy game for people who don't play games - jeff (24.33)
  • "We wanted the metacritic and sales of The Sims, not the metacritic and sales of Half Life" - brad (25.17)

Timestamps

• Cellular Phase (2.08)
  • Creature Phase (4.04)
  • Tribal Phase (18.07)
  • Civilization Phase (26.44)
  • Space Phase (35.53)
  • Wrap-up (1.03.50)

General Notes

• Ryan was the only one who didn't play the game, so he's primarily playing the role of moderator during this one.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously didn't make it a point to list Spore proper in the games mentioned, since this whole thing is about Spore. Although, the blog is linked to the spore wiki page, so if anybody is looking on that page wondering if the GB crew has ever had a thing to say about Spore, know you know.

WaiteyBulger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WaiteyBulger

Keep up the awesome work!, im going through old ones now and im just listening, this is a god damn full time job

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds excruciating for you (the note-taking, not the listening; I've listened to every Bombcast at least twice), but terrific for us.

So, thanks for slowly killing yourself for us!

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By citizencoffeecake

Reading those quotes out of context is pretty good.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

I know you are already doing Gods work and all... and I know this sounds super lazy of me... but... Can you link the BombCast as well. I was all pumped and just wanted to click a link and be in it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad Vinny kept the baby.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost half the notable quotes are form Vinny. haha

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@mlarrabee: Freaking life saver... was just about to 'have' to look it up myself. Crisis averted.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellknightleon: If you actually click the header up there 'Giant Bombcast Spore Edition . . . ' it has the link in there. You have to actually mouse over it with the new blog/forum post layout, but yeah, it's there, same as it's been since I started doing this thing. And don't worry about the whole lazy bit...it does take a bit of work to actually click around and get to the specific episode, which is why I really wanted to make it a point to link it in the Breakdown proper. Maybe I'll have to start making a note of that in the legend or something.

Either way, thanks for the kudos guys! Glad you're getting a kick out of it!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A year or two ago, I asked if doing something like this as a community project was feasible. For quick access when someone has a "when did this happen" question. People thought I was crazy.

I'm glad you're a crazy visionary, as well.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, now i have to listen to this bombcast! Cool stuff.

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this is great, awesome work!

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just like that you give the times as 25.17, because it looks like the Bombers are biblical figures.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

"It's weird to me to see that they tried to spin that game as science"

Great quote!

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By vaiz

wopwopwopwopwop. I think I'm gonna have to go back and listen to this one today at work.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By GreggD

@matthew said:

@hellknightleon: If you actually click the header up there 'Giant Bombcast Spore Edition . . . ' it has the link in there. You have to actually mouse over it with the new blog/forum post layout, but yeah, it's there, same as it's been since I started doing this thing.

Pretty sneaky, sis.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"i thought it was really funny, graphically, the image for proselytizing to another city is like, all your vehicles kinda mass and project this huge hologram version of your creature like preaching to the city in simlish - brad (29.28)"

WTF

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Thanks I guess...other people seem to be pumped for this. I don't get it myself but good on you for making it to the front page

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By endoworks

Very nice!