Bombcast/Dumptruck/8-4 Podcast "Duration" tag RSS Feeds

Rain_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rain_1

Hey there. There's something that always bugged me on the Giantbomb/Dumptruck podcast feed, and today it kinda dawned upon me to make a thread about it.

On both Dumptruck and Giantbombcast Regular RSS feeds (I don't use the Premium one), the itunes XML tag for duration comes in seconds (like so):

<itunes:duration xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/dtds/podcast-1.0.dtd">11043</itunes:duration>

While, on the 8-4 podcast, it comes properly formatted as hours:minutes:seconds:

<itunes:duration>02:16:44</itunes:duration>

And this interferes in the way that RSS Feed viewers (like Podcast clients for mobile devices) display said information. Showing that a podcast has a duration of 11043 is not really that useful. I thought that it was a site-wide RSS feed creation issue paired with a incompatibility with my Podcast Feed viewer (which is not the agreed upon best Android podcast feed aggregator) , but since both RSS feeds (probably) share the same publishing system, I found it weird that one feed has the issue while the other doesn't. The problem also doesn't happen on any other feed I have subscribed from different websites. Since I don't really know how those RSS are created (are they all information scraped from a single MP3 or does the person that created said MP3 have to add that information to the Header of each file individually?), I wonder if it's an engineering issue or a MP3 Creation issue. Either way, I much prefer when I can see the hh:mm:ss format. This is by no means a critical issue, but it would be nice to see it resolved.

edit: omg this editing interface.... jeez. I wanted to put images below each section, but it seems impossible, so here they are at the end of the post: