#1 Posted by Djnuttty (139 posts) -

I am thinking of giving myself the challenge of listening to every single bombcast from the start because I only started listening a few podcasts ago. Is it worth my time? I feel like it is because the ones I have listened to are usually hilarious!

#2 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

It's not, that goes for the ER as well. Just listen or watch the best of

#3 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Do it, some of those early podcasts are great

#4 Posted by triviaman09 (803 posts) -

I'm listening to the Bombcasts from the beginning and finding it extremely worthwhile, especially if you spend a lot of time listening to podcasts. You hear a lot about games you may have missed out on and there are a lot of good, funny moments in those podcasts. Some of their predictions (like when Diablo III would come out or when all 3 parts of Starcraft II will come out or the state of the music game genre) are pretty cool to hear with the benefit of hindsight. Definitely do it.

#5 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Do it. They are great.

Plus it will give you a great sense of perspective.

#6 Edited by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -
@LiquidSwords: I disagree- I mean, if you're just going to be sitting down and listening to old bombcasts, you might be wasting your time, but if you're the kind of person who likes to listen to podcasts or TV shows while gaming or driving or whatever, those old podcasts well worth listening to, even though the info is out-dated. Those 'best-of' are great, but sometimes jokes without context aren't as funny. 

The P4 Endurance is mostly worth watching, though I found myself skipping through a lot of the fusing and dungeon grinding parts. EDIT: I skipped through stuff the 2nd time. The first time I watched it. I watched the episodes as they came out the first time.
#7 Posted by Shivoa (642 posts) -

While I wouldn't tell you how to multi-task with your time, that is a lot of podcasting to enjoy (and there are many quality podcasts out there fighting for your time).

This may help on getting caught up without spending every second listening to the gang for the next few months.

#8 Posted by Djnuttty (139 posts) -

I have been watching the P4 endurance and haven't stopped laughing... I remember Jeff and Ryan from gamespot years ago but for some reason I only recently got into Giantbomb and it's content which is amazing. The general consensus is that I should do it... I might as well because it will get me through awful bus journies where you have to otherwise listen to peoples' conversations and try and prevent the urge to correct them publicly :O

#9 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I have a job where I drive a lot, so I always need something to listen to. Having the old Bombcasts to listen to was great and if you have a lot of time to kill then I say go for it. Talking about some of the older games and news could be a bit dry at times, but there was always enough humor in the bombcasts to keep me listening.

#10 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

There's some pretty hilarious moments you won't get anywhere else. Like the Dragon's Dogma conversation (opining about what the Dogma of a Dragon could possibly be), which I think is the most hilarious bombcast moment yet. I really wish I could track that bit down again.

#11 Posted by wemibelec90 (1802 posts) -

I'm on my second time through the back catalog (and after having heard most of them as they were new) and they are definitely worth going back to.

#12 Posted by Ksaw (348 posts) -

I did that last year. I enjoyed it, and I've been listening from the start. Although I drive for a living so there's plenty of time to burn listening to old podcasts.

#13 Posted by pnevares (67 posts) -

I did the same recently, I got into listening to the Bombcast about midway through 2009, so I missed a lot of early stuff and it was a real treat to go back and experience news from when the 360 was just over two years old and the PS3/Wii were barely a year old. Craaaazy.

Definitely worth it. Just takes a hell of a lot of time!

#14 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

@Djnuttty: It's all worth it, ESPECIALLY the endurance run, which remains the best content on the site.

#15 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

@TooWalrus: There are some that are worth watching from beginning to end, I as well listen to some when I'm plying games. But trying to marathon through them all is a little too much

#16 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Go for it!

#17 Posted by Djnuttty (139 posts) -

I'm not planning to marathon listen... Just incorporate them into my nornal podcast listening so it would probably take me months to even listen to them all!

#18 Posted by SAC (115 posts) -

I'm in the process of going through the old bombcasts myself, having only discovered these guys in late 2011. Right now, I'm in August of 2010. It's great. Like someone said before, sometimes the older games they talk about can get REALLY dry, but there is always enough funny and entertaining banter from the guys to keep it fresh.

#19 Posted by Slurpelve (616 posts) -

I wanted to do the same but I only want to hear the most craziest bombcasts.

#20 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3077 posts) -

You should listen to these best-of shows that we've been doing for the Bombcast. They each cover a year's full of Bombcast episodes:

We've got a best-of for 2010 due up in a month or so. There's nothing wrong with listening to each individual episode, but there is a ton of material there -- some obscene number like eighty hours a year. I no longer have that kind of time unfortunately, so that's why I started this service so I wouldn't have to go through years of episodes again. We also cover other podcasts that you might be interested in.

Thank you to everybody that links to us by the way. There have been three or four of these threads over the last week or so, and I keep seeing referrals to our site. That's good stuff; please keep that up. We owe you guys big time.

#21 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Do it and play games from that time period.

#22 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

I think that depends how much free time you have to fill. I think it'd only really be worth it if you have a lot of time where you need something to listen to.

#23 Edited by cthomer5000 (845 posts) -

I started at the beginning a few months ago (only came on board in late 2010). I think it's definitely worthwhile, though i did find some of the podcasts to be a difficult listen before Vinny and Brad joined.

It's been great to hear their 'in the moment' view of things, see how right they've been about some things and how totally wrong they've been about others. It's also fascinating to hear about games they've looked at that end up getting cancelled ('This Is Vegas' for one).

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (12125 posts) -
@LiquidSwords said:

It's not, that goes for the ER as well. Just listen or watch the best of

For Bombcasts, it's probably not worth it (except for the notable episodes). 

As far as the ER goes though, you absolutely need to start from the beginning and watch them all. There are so many joke references throughout that you just wouldn't get if you weren't watching the whole way with them and experiencing it all.
#25 Posted by wordfalling (193 posts) -

@ZanzibarBreeze: I was going to point him towards your This Year podcast so instead I'll just say thanks for your work! They've made some long drives much more tolerable.

#26 Posted by BRYN (90 posts) -

I listened through all the Bombcasts once when I first got into Giant Bomb. Considering they're on 300+, it maybe daunting... but If you're doing something like grinding in a game or whatever, and have them on in the background, you'll fly through them. I did it when doing things in LittleBigPlanet or collecting feathers in the Assassins Creed II's.

Sometime early this year I started on my second time through them. But I only listen to an episode when I'm caught up to any other podcasts in my que.

But as some have said, it's interesting to hear their predictions and thoughts when you already know the outcome.

#27 Posted by Little_Socrates (5693 posts) -

Sure, why not? If you have time, go ahead. But there is an absurd amount of material.

@ZanzibarBreeze said:

You should listen to these best-of shows that we've been doing for the Bombcast. They each cover a year's full of Bombcast episodes:

We've got a best-of for 2010 due up in a month or so. There's nothing wrong with listening to each individual episode, but there is a ton of material there -- some obscene number like eighty hours a year. I no longer have that kind of time unfortunately, so that's why I started this service so I wouldn't have to go through years of episodes again. We also cover other podcasts that you might be interested in.

Thank you to everybody that links to us by the way. There have been three or four of these threads over the last week or so, and I keep seeing referrals to our site. That's good stuff; please keep that up. We owe you guys big time.

Also, the This Year best-ofs are pretty damned fantastic.

#28 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

There is no episode not worth it. I've done the whole run several times, it's been good every time if you have a lot of podcast time. They are entertaining and interesting with or without the news being current.

#29 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Already excited for your introduction to the world of SHix.

#30 Posted by joshth (508 posts) -

I've been doing it this summer while I play games that don't require deep thinking. It's a lot of fun to hear them talk about games that you already know all about and see if their expectations match up with what actually ends up happening. I just started 2009 a few days ago.

#31 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

DO IT

#32 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

Yes it's way worth it. They're hilarious!

#33 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

I've done it

#34 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The people that have done this are crazy.

#35 Posted by buttle826 (124 posts) -

I did that a while ago. It's super easy if you just listen to them while your doing something that doesn't require your full attention, or to have on in the background while you're playing a game in which the audio isn't super important

#36 Posted by face15 (1305 posts) -

I did it when I first discovered Giant Bomb and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Granted, there was only about 50 back then. It's much more of an undertaking now. Good luck!

#37 Posted by Slag (4727 posts) -

I'm inn the midst of doing it while I do busy work. Which is a good way to do it I think (while doing something else) if you feel like doing it. Most of the humor easily holds up, doubly so if you are familiar with the games they mention.

So far I'm just about done with 2009. And of the various years I've listened to (every year but 2010), I'd say that's been the best,

#38 Edited by Barrock (3551 posts) -

Of course it's worth your time.

There's some incredible stuff.

#39 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Djnuttty: It is totally worth it, I have done it once and am on my second run through. There humour is fantastic as it is now and its an interesting look into past discussions about games that have been out for years.

#40 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

Plus it will give you a great sense of perspective.

True. It's interesting to go back and listen to some old Bombcasts and hear speculation and predictions, knowing the outcome.

#41 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

I'd definitely say it's worth it. I've done it 4 times myself.

#42 Posted by Harpell (182 posts) -

I'm in the midst of doing this myself. I have a fairly long commute to work an back, so I can usually listen to most of a single episode in one work day. I'm up to 2010 now. They're still a great listen, even if some info is outdated. And some of the predictions are spot on, which is hilarious in hindsight.

#43 Posted by OKane3 (17 posts) -

i listened to the entire thing when i first started visiting the site, and did most of it while playing tetris. its much longer now than it was but hey, you'll get mad good at tetris

#44 Posted by Nightriff (5240 posts) -

@Djnuttty: It's worth your time, I started listening a year ago and decided to work my way through the backlog. Its tough and a lot to listen to but great for working out, while at work, playing a game. If you like the crew then it is worth listening to all the old ones. AND Welcome to Giant Bomb Duder!!!