Bombcast, more like BORECAST....i have my reasons.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Jimbo
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By JoeyRavn

@killacam said:

THAT"S NOT EVEN A GOOD PLAY ON WORDS

Bombcast? More like Avencast... I have my reasons.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By Daneian

I am incredibly grateful that these guys do what they do. I listen to every episode at least twice and most of the time thrice.

The three form nature of their work is actually the videogame version of a morning radioshow and I love it. They don't know me, but through the Bombcast and Quick Looks, they are old friends.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By papercut

It's summer, there is nothing to do. If you want insight go listen to NPR, if you want stupid irreverent shit like the rest of us here, then just keep listening.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By toowalrus

Unstructured!? 

I know, structure is the basis of all fun. Bombcast sucks.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By CptBedlam

What the hell are you taaaalking about? Last few bombcasts were great.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DoctorWelch

I'm pretty sure you forgot to include all the hilarious non-gaming talk that happens between those "yups". This week they jumped right into talking about games, and I actually found the podcast less entertaining overall because of it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

A few points:

• I doubt holding up a video game site of this quality involves 90% sitting around and eating pancakes.
  • Your use of ellipses, caps, and new paragraphs comes across as inelegant.
  • I think your snarky dig at Sweep for a harmless joke was unnecessary.
  • I don't think it helps to paint people who may have a dissenting opinion in a negative light before they've even had the chance to comment.
  • I am sorry you no longer enjoy the podcast, and unlike the people saying "Don't like it, don't listen", I think criticism is important, but I still remain rather baffled by the negativity surrounding site content as of late.
  • It's something that's happened with Jeff a lot, and I think people confuse their laid back attitude with boredom.
  • Any genuine slowness and boredom probably comes from the fact that there's not a whole lot coming out right now.
  • I enjoy the Giant Bombcast.
  • I hope you are enjoying Jeff Bridges' jumper.
Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Vanek

I think it's been a bit dull recently purely because there is nothing out, but that happens every year at some point. The structure is fine when there are actually interesting games out.

My only real issue with the Bombcast is how little they talk about games at times. Sure, I don't care about arcade stuff and a few of games that constantly come up like Trackmania, but I live with it because at least they're talking about games. Don't get me wrong though, I don't mind a little bit being off-topic, but I just don't care enough to sit through 40 minutes of random conversations when it then leads to the emails being cut short because they end up running out of time.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By bio595

I do wonder what they do all day, especially during the summer when the releases are scarce.

But the last few bombcasts have been pretty good, not the best, I'd say like 90% best.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By McGhee

The recent ham radio podcast was one of the best they've ever done. The more random, non video game discussions are the most interesting. I wish the whole podcast wasn't even about video games.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By pweidman

So sorry for your lack of satisfactory entertainment at the hands of the Bombcast crew tc. :(

For me however, they never fail to get me to laugh aloud during each cast, and I find all the dudes to be ceaselessly entertaining, video game talk or not.

Reasons: I got 'em too.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ghost_cat

You know, there isn't a whole lot going on in the summer time. If you need constant coverage on video games, there are plenty of other sites out there. For me, I come here strictly for the crew, and not really for video game coverage.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By nohthink

Valid criticism. As much as I enjoy Bombcast, the format has become very routine but I blame that on the lack new game releases.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#66  Edited By musubi

Assuming they only do 3hrs of work is real cute.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By kpaadet

So your solution to fixing the bombcast is to bring back the most boring/annoying thing ever (Nintendo shovelware games), good job dude.

Stink_Meaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Stink_Meaner

Hey everyone! I just got here what did I miss?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By htr10

The other day I went to my local library and asked to speak to the head librarian. When she came to the front desk, I said to her "I find your books quite boring." She replied to me, "Well, our selection of books seems to appeal quite well to our usual customers. Is there something we don't have that you'd like?" I looked at her and said, "I like video games. Not books about video games, but actual video games, for me to play." Her answer was "Sir, this is a library, there is an arcade across the street." My reponse? "Of course, I know that, I go there every week to complain how they have nothing good to read."

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#70  Edited By spankingaddict

@Mountain_flames: I actually agree with most of what you said , but I still enjoy the bombcast a lot . The crew can seem to be lazy sometimes, some more than others(you know who) .

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Canteu

@AndrewB: "However" is not a speech conditional!

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Lukeweizer

It's not their fault no games come out in June and July.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#73  Edited By AndrewB

@Canteu: I know. I got lazy by the end of that 4 point post.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Canteu

@AndrewB: Condemnation: Infinite laziness

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Mountain_flames said:

Even the mods are too busy to write anything. Just copy a photo. Cool (i have that same jumper!)

Then if the site and all the stuff bores you do no come here. 
aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#76  Edited By aleryn

Summer game drought along with end of console life drought. If you're listening to them just for gaming blabber then now is not the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nux said:

@Sesiras said:

The most recent podcast's have been some of my favorites in quite some time. I hope they keep on keepin' on.

No Caption Provided
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FateOfNever

@dcgc said:

AAA games in this time of the year aren't coming out (at least just a few), that we know: yet there are Indie games, Mods, financial news about the videogame industry or videogame companies, rumors, fan-work, etc, coming out nonstop all year. I go to other sites or listen to other podcasts and they talk about stuff that the GB crew doesn't. Does that mean that they should cover everything? Not necessarily, because not all game critics or game journalists know or grasp every single game out there in the market. Some have a better knowledge about RTS, others are more focused in reviewing popular FPS/TPS games for console market (for example). But that doesn't mean that there isn't more stuff to cover, they just won't do it or just don't have the knowledge and prefer to not give a bad coverage of a game (or whatever). So don't say: "there ain't games in the Summer" (a lot of people have been saying that) because it is not true.

GB doesn't deal with rumors. They're not rumormongers by nature like so many other sites are. Not that they never talk about rumors, but, rumors are just rumors, they're not facts, they're not news, they're possible truths and possible lies that don't mean anything. They also don't deal with totally obscure indie games. They deal with some, obviously, but why would they go out of their way to play a bunch of garbage indie games or indie games they have no interest in? They don't talk finance, that's not their shtick and honestly I don't think any of them would be qualified to talk about finances beyond the occasional news story about a company being in serious trouble (i.e. THQ's problems or companies shutting down.) They're not vultures that look for even the tiniest bit of a hint of a possible news story so they can get people to click their pages ravenously like so many other sites. That's not what they've ever been about and the bombcast shouldn't be about it either. Fan-work, whatever, the forums are a much better place for that kind of stuff as how much are you actually going to get about them talking about a picture someone else did, or a song someone did, or a video that someone did, only one of those things can they even 'present' on the bombcast for the viewers to get a feel of it. Mods aren't they're thing. They don't get to typically spend six months playing one single game so they don't know a ton about mods. Not that you never hear about them (they've talked about them before in reference to things like Skyrim) but they're not going to hold a "here are the latest mods for game X this week."

It sounds like you just want what the other companies already give you, at which point I wonder why do all podcasts need to cover the same stuff? Why can't the bombcast be it's own special podcast done the way the guys want to do it? It's worked for them for years so far.

As for games coming out this summer, I'm going to list some things from the 'new games' section on the site. These are games that have come out in July 30th to August 5th.

• Deadlight - They talked about it.
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D - They talked about it even though people will be screaming their heads off about how they did it wrong.
  • Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time - It's a PSP game, I don't think a lot more needs to be said than that, really.
  • Orcs Must Die 2 - They've talked about how they need to play that and do a quick look of it.
  • Unwritten Tales - They did a quick look.
  • MDK 2 HD - Oh look, an old game on the PC now in HD. Whoopie!
  • Awesomenaughts (PC) - Already covered it on the 360.
  • Risen 2 - Hey, this came back out in April and is now available for consoles.
  • Expendables 2 - Do you really want them talking about this? Plus it was Alex that was forced to do a review of it.
  • War of the Monsters - Another old game being added to a downloadable store. Exciting.
  • The Political Machine 2012 - Did a quick look of it. Doesn't seem like there's anything to talk about in regards to it, but it might get mentioned next week.
  • Death Rally - Did a quick look, again, not much to say about it beyond "I played a game that's a combat racing game."
  • El Shaddai - A game just making it to the XBL Marketplace.
  • A Virus Named Tom - No idea what it is, possibly something to cover and talk about? Who knows.
  • Ridge Racer Unbounded - Another "it's now available for download." They already covered this game.
  • Disney Universe - Even if they did cover this, do you think there would be much to talk about?
  • The Adventures of Tintin - Yet another "now available for download."
  • Pool Pro Online 3 for Windows Phone 7 - Thrilling stuff.
  • Motion Sports Adrenaline - Did I mention that XBox has a market place you can download games digitally from? Because this is available there now.

And that's it. That's everything that came out in the past week. What, exactly, of that stuff do you want them to play through, review, and then talk about on the bombcast? They've already talked about Deadlight and Kingdom Hearts. That leaves, what, Orcs Must Die 2 for next week, possibly? Maaaybe Risen 2? Brad might mention the Political Machine next bombcast, and Vinny might mention Unwritten Tales, but that's it. That's all there is. There's no big titles that they're all playing for them to get into serious discussion about. There's 19 games that came out this week and they've already covered 2 of them and there's maybe 4 others worth talking about, making 6 total to even discuss with 13 more that have so little substance to them to even be talked about.

So I fully believe the "there aren't games coming out this summer" is entirely accurate. Games are coming out, but virtually nothing worth covering. There were several weeks where there was maybe one release that wasn't just something old coming to a new platform.

Avatar image for mountain_flames
Mountain_flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Mountain_flames

@ck1nd said:

@Mountain_flames said:

Anyway, do not be offended as i won't be to any if any replies follow. Its only my opinion and i might be wrong.

I think you compare Giantbomb to GameStop in your head which is employed by 10's (if not 100's of people) which is why Giantbomb may seem empty. This site does not fill itself to the rafters with non-sense bullshit. We have a respectable man by the name of Patrick Klepek who really delivers in the articles and a great team that pushes great content on a daily basis. I feel the word "entitlement" really comes forth with posts like this. Especially when the person doesn't have a silver nor a gold medal under their avatar.

TL;DR:

@Sweep said:

No Caption Provided

ok, BUT i would say new articles are few and far between. I never used Giantbomb for news updates, they are not the fastest for breaking news but had decent videos and the podcast. I am not one to post a tone of messages to gain status with medals and the like but i don't see how my point would have any added weight if i had a gold, silver, bronze or happy face by my name. Maybe if i had a medal or Mod symbol next to my name i would be cool enough to reply with pre made pictures copied and pasted over from some other site.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Deusx
No Caption Provided
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Drebin_893

The Bombcast is my favourite thing on the site. And always has been, actually.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Karl_Boss

I don't like the bombcast so I don't listen to it, you should stop punishing yourself and do the same.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PillClinton

"RIGHT AN ARTICLE."

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#84  Edited By BraveToaster

Sweep should have just locked this shit after posting that comment. This is clearly flamebait.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SlightConfuse

Last few bombcast have been great

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By phrosnite

Borecast :D I did not listen to any of the podcasts in the march-july period.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By NMC2008

I stopped listening to weekend confirmed because they couldn't match the quality of the bombcast, well that and the fact that I was only listening for Garnett Lee, but I can only take so much for one man.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Take him to the murder slingshot!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By Superkenon

Borecast?

Oh, I get it. You took "bomb" and replaced it with "bore!" Haha! Fun with language indeed!

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

The less structure the podcast has and the less they talk about videogames, the happier I am.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By AndrewB

@NMC2008 said:

I stopped listening to weekend confirmed because they couldn't match the quality of the bombcast, well that and the fact that I was only listening for Garnett Lee, but I can only take so much for one man.

The post-Brian Leahy era has been harsh.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By JaredA

I have loved the last 300 podcasts they have done, so I hope they change nothing!

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By PillClinton

@AndrewB said:

@NMC2008 said:

The post-Brian Leahy era has been harsh.

Oh god, yes it has. I also like Garnett Lee quite a bit, but stopped listening about a month-ish or so after Leahy left. If I remember correctly, the last straw was when they had some really lame guest on who kept bragging about his 1.3 or whatever fucking K/D ratio in COD4. Unsubbed that day.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By PixelPrinny

You were off to a good start, using a paragraph like a boss, but then your rage took over and you just started hitting enter as new random thoughts entered your head. In the end, we're left reading a disjointed ragefart that really says nothing, but maybe it helped you get some frustration off your chest, so there's that, I guess.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#95  Edited By Levio

I'm honestly surprised so many posters would fall for such an obvious troll. I mean, people should be used to the stuff by now...

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96  Edited By gaminghooligan

@BraveToaster said:

Sweep should have just locked this shit after posting that comment. This is clearly flamebait.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By cheesebob

What happened to the Whisky Media Radioshow which was advertised?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By AndrewB

@PillClinton: As long as we're derailing and talking about a different gaming podcast... Brian was the prefect middle between Garnett and Jeff. There hasn't been a third-seat replacement to fill that role. You don't realize what you're missing until you've lost it.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Nekroskop

The last three podcasts have been the best ones they've done in a long time. If you want to hear about people talking exclusively about video games, there are plenty of alternatives for you out there.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By mtcantor

Oh. This again.

Seriously people. Don't feed the trolls.