Bombcast Personality Breakdown... do YOU agree?

• 92 results
AZ123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AZ123

Hey Everyone,

This post marks my first real post here at Giantbomb.com, but I have followed this site since the first ArrowPointingDown Beta Podcast back in February 2008. I consider myself a long time fan of the guys behind this site, so I decided to break down their personalities. After all, these guys are why this community exists in the first place. I would love to know if you agree or disagree with my thoughts.

Jeff Gerstmann – The Raw Talent

Why does Giantbomb.com exist in the first place? Jeff Gerstmann. This guy brings so much to our beloved online videogame community. What is Jeff’s appeal? I believe it lies in his raw talent and ability to communicate about video games. As far as I know, Jeff dropped out of college. If you do not believe me, listen to the mini-Bombcast with Ed Boon back in 10/24/08 where Jeff says to Mr. Boon regarding Mortal Kombat:

“I’ve been a huge fan of it for years… I missed large sections of high school because I could go play Mortal Kombat II instead… I stopped going to a college class… I basically dropped out of college because I wanted to go to Reno to see MK3 for the first time.”

I am not suggesting Jeff is stupid because he did not go to college. Quite the contrary, I think Jeff is a brilliant guy. His natural talent has brought him into videogame journalism superstardom. Jeff has made videogames his raison d’être. Think about it. What did he do when he got the can from Gamespot? (I still wish I knew why he did. People do not get fired for nothing) He created his own website about videogames with more liberties to do basically whatever he wants. Jeff is the only videogame journalist I know who appeared on ABC’s Good Morning America to discuss the Dreamcast and who is quoted in at least two New York Times articles. It is quite astonishing to see what Jeff has achieved based on his raw talent to understand videogames and to communicate what each game he plays is all about.

Ryan Davis – The Showman

Ryan has such a showmanship to his personality that I cannot help but want to call him a celebrity. Not only is Ryan host of our beloved Bombcast, but there are more videos of him on Giantbomb.com than there are of the other three principle characters. This Ain’t No Game has a large part to do with this. Speaking of which, who saw this feature coming? TANG has become an instant favorite feature on this website, and I attribute its success to the charisma Ryan exudes on screen. Ryan’s natural ability to appear on camera is not entirely surprising. During the 11 episode of Getting To Know Gamespot, Ryan discussed what his role used to be at Gamespot.com. Early on, Ryan said this:

“I also have kind of ended up doing a lot more video stuff for the site… I like to help out a lot with the video review process, kind of help coach other editors to try to get a little more effusive video reviews out there.”

When asked what he would do outside of the videogame industry, Ryan said this:

“I think that I wouldn’t mind trying more TV Radio stuff. I think based on the experience that I’ve had here with doing on-camera stuff and doing the Hotspot, I find that stuff fun. You know? Just kind of get on there and goof around, I wouldn’t want to do anything to serious.”

Of all the members on the Giantbomb team, Ryan is the most natural on camera. On a personal note, I always get a kick when I know that he is featured in a video on the site. For Heaven’s sake, Ryan also posted a video of himself giving a tour of his house! Now, c’mon, would someone who hates being on camera willingly do such a thing?

Brad Shoemaker – The Scholar

Brad graduated from college as an English major. His writing is perhaps the strongest of the four main guys of the Giantbomb crew (although that’s my opinion). For those of us who remember Brad’s Gamespot.com days, we remember he spoke in a monotone and wore glasses. Seriously, nearly all famous scholars have glasses. Somehow, though, his dull deliverance on camera became part of his appeal and most of what he said actually made sense and, well, downright sounded smart. You guys can read his articles and reviews to know what I mean. A few quotes from him on the Bombcast have also surfaced that make me believe of all the dudes in a basement in Sausalito, Brad has the most erudition.

During the Game of the Year 2008 Edition of the Bombcast, Brad made a case for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts to be the year’s best game by saying this:

“I love the personality of it, the writing, the kind of fourth wall busting meta-humor. They were so self-aware, referential, self-deprecating, they made fun of everybody without mercy. I thought it was clever as hell, really funny, extremely well written… really what pushes it over the top is just the mechanics of it. It’s the fact that the vehicle building is so easy to get into and so sort of robust… but then the second necessary component of that is that it feeds so directly into the missions that you have to do.”

During the Bombcast from July 8 2008, in the last ten minutes Brad addresses the fallacy of the “10 year cycle” for the lifespan of videogame consoles:

“I get the impression that when companies like Sony throw this phrase around people think, ‘O.K. that’s the only console they’re going to have for 10 years.’ But if you look at the ‘longtail’, to use the marketing term… look at the way the Playstation One business worked out. I mean, they had five years as their console and they brought the PS2 out, but they kept making PS1 games for a little while, some third parties did, but it kept selling… PS2 probably will be selling games until the end of the PS3’s 5 year cycle. I don’t think the ‘10 year cycle’ ever means, ‘We’re going to make one console and milk it for 10 years,’ it’s just that these things have a lifespan beyond the next iteration of the product.”

I’m not exactly sure why, but these particular quotes have always stuck out to me as something someone with a higher level of education would say. For these reasons, I am saying his erudite personality makes Brad the Scholar.

Vinny Caravella – The Racist (or at least someone obsessed with racism)

Don’t get excited by the title I have selected as best to describe Vinny’s personality. I want to be upfront and that say of the four main guys working at Giantbomb.com, Vinny is my least favorite. Don’t misunderstand me when I say that because I LOVE Vinny, but if I had to make of a list of my favorites, Vinny would be on the bottom for me. I hate to admit it, but I like it when Dave fills in on the Bombcast whenever Vinny is out of the office.

When Ryan introduced Vinny in the first Bombcast since the site launched on July 22, 2008, Vinny blurted this statement:

“All journalists are racists!”

In the Bombcast in the following week (29 July 2008), Ryan had trouble pronouncing the name an Italian guy who wrote in an email. Before Ryan could make a guess, Vinny interrupted with:

“Say it, you racist… Cannoli! Just say it! You know you want to say it!”

(Ryan made an even more racist statement by saying the guy’s last name was “meatball”)

Finally, a few Bombcasts later (I cannot find it for the life of me) a discussion took place on what a Toboggan was. Before the discussion could continue, Vinny said:

“You racists bastard, it’s called a turban!”

While Vinny may have gone through an obsessive racist phase, he has one redeeming quality – he is a self-proclaimed fan of Dragon Ball Z. I, too, am a HUGE fan of DBZ and revel in how much the rest of the family at Giantbomb.com hate the hell out of it. However, Ryan did give a rather glowing review to Budokai 3 when it was released. In fact, he did come off as the resident DBZ fan at Gamespot.com. I guess the torch has been passed on to Vinny. Even though Vinny is a racist, at least he is a Dragon Ball Z fan. In my book, that makes me love Vinny.

So there you go! Feel free to tell me why I am spot on in my assessment, or why I am dead wrong. Either way, we all love Giantbomb.com and the personalities behind them.

In summary:
Jeff Gerstmann – The Raw Talent
Ryan Davis – The Showman
Brad Shoemaker – The Scholar
Vinny Caravella – The Racist (or at least someone obsessed with racism)

If you disagree with me, please make your own assessment. I would love to know what you think!

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

You are wrong. It should go Vinny Caravella - The Funniest Dude Who's Sense of Humor Doesn't Appeal to Certain People.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Coltonio7

Damn, that is some hardcore...quoting.

This is seriously impressive.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Systech

Vinny is not a racist. Poking fun at racism is funny.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5  Edited By SenatorSpacer

Vinny = Amazing.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By VWGTI

Vinny is the man and is the funniest guy on the bombcast.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan
@systech:
I agree, I think the poster got the wrong first impression of Vinny and has coloured his comments since then in that light.  The quotes are impressive, but clearly show Vinny's sense of humour, not actual rasicm.
alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alsnuts2

I think that is pretty strong language for Vinny.  The rest of the descriptions are actually pretty good.

I think as far as the roles of the 4 "out in front" guys Vinny is the "everyman".  He seems the most relatable to me.  and soft... soft skin... I bet he smells nice... You think he would let me touch his neck?

Wait what? what happened?  I blacked out there for a moment.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo
@AZ123: Thank god you agree with me. Vinny is my least favorite too. Remember that episode with Drew a couple weeks back? Easily topped Vinny.
Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Computerplayer1

You are going to be slaughtered for what you said about Vinny hahahaha.

Other than that, you did a pretty good job of breaking it down, although they all have seriously easy personalities to pick out. That's why I love the bombcasts because they are all very different people (although Ryan and Jeff are kind of close).

Metamorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Metamorphic

I found this pleasant to read.

Vinny, as well as Brad, are funny and easy to listen to. Vinny and Brad are my favorite reviewers and personalities from GiantBomb. I think that Vinny's prejudice jokes are not meant to be taken seriously but as a joke. "The Joker" would be a better title for him (IMO).

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

Vinny: "Hi I'm Vinny, and I cast Bufu when I shouldn't. "HA!

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I don't try to analyze them, but that's some impressive investigation work you've done.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_

Vinny actually makes me laugh more than any other member of the crew. He makes sure nothing ever gets too heavy, so the cast never really strays into (what is it, rebel FM? idle thumbs? I forget) super-deep "oh god industry oh man, journalism" territory. When Jeff talks turkey I tend to listen most seriously, although he does bring awesome stuff like "I have a Wii", etc. to the table and he can be a humor powerhouse (they all can). Brad isn't the loudest or most consistently outspoken but he doesn't waste words either. When he talks, you should pay attention, because that means he has something he deemed worthy of saying, and his contributions are always interesting and from his unique perspective. Ryan is definitely the entertainer, and he helps glue everybody together, and he's kind of the maverick because of that. He'll engage Jeff more often than Brad or Vinny in more serious discussions or lengthy segways about games they've played, but he'll also get down with Vinny's humor and insights and he is good at soliciting baritone wisdom from Brad when it's needed.

That's how I see everything anyway. Feel free to disagree.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm pretty sure Jeff didn't ACTUALLY drop out of college...

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Babble

Vinny is awesome, without him you might be getting a whole lot less video content.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
Jayge_ said:
Vinny actually makes me laugh more than any other member of the crew. He makes sure nothing ever gets too ... [more]
This is true.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus

Here's a better breakdown:

Jeff: He's totally Jeff Gerstmann
Ryan: He's acts like Ryan Davis
Brad: He's definitely Brad Shomaker
Vinny: He's still Vinny Caravella

Some of us have been following these guys for so long, that we know they're totally unique, and don't need to be categorized.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Say what??

Vinny is probably the funniest of the bunch. His video editing skills make every GB video worth watching. He is goofy on camera and is always laid back.

I'd honestly put Brad on the bottom (not counting Dave because I haven't really heard of him much). Don't get me wrong, the guy is very sophisticated and takes his work seriously and with care. You can really tell he puts all of his effort when reviewing games.

But he just doesn't seem as laid back as the others. I dunno, just my opinion.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

AZ123 said:
Hey Everyone, This post marks my first real post here at Giantbomb.com, but I have followed this site since the ... [more]

I remember that! I laughed so hard! By the way dude, when Vinny calls people racists, It's meant to be a JOKE, dumbass.
Edit: I meant to quote the part where he says (To which Ryan responded by saying his name was "meatball") sorry to make you all scroll so much.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Also, do you really think Jeff dropped out of college?

I mean, how the hell do you think he got the job at GameSpot? You need to have a degree in literature/writing in order to land a gig like that, my friend.

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BODDAH

They're all sitting around in a circle reading this thread laughing their asses off.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By buzz_clik

Nope, Vinny is hilarious. He says some awesome stuff that even makes the left fielders scratch their heads and wonder where the shit it came from.

To me, the Vinny we get now is quite different to the Vinny that used to be host in another lifetime (he rocked that too). I think the fact that he doesn't have to steer the ship lets him get a lot goofier on the Bombcast, and he's even funnier for it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman

Vinny disapproves of this message!       :P

No Caption Provided

bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigpig33

vinny is not racist i just think that he has that line (calling people racist) implanted in his head so that it is just one of the first things he thinks of, sort of a go to joke.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Absurd
Fr0Br0 said:
You are wrong. It should go Vinny Caravella - The Funniest Dude Who's Sense of Humor Doesn't Appeal to Certain ... [more]

Indeed
Julius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Julius

Vinny is a super underrated part of the Bombcast.  He's the quietest, but his occasional obscure jokes can be hilarious if you hear them.  Plus, his tastes are considerably different from the others, which brings some other views to the table, especially since Jeff and Ryan seem rather similar in the games they enjoy.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If I was VInny I would crack up when I read down that list and read "racist" for me.  I mean you're summing up these guys lives and you choose racist based on nothing.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By insanejedi

Ryan=The dick.
He even said it himself.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Milkman
LiquidPrince said:
I'm pretty sure Jeff didn't ACTUALLY drop out of college...
Nah, he actually did.

Also, what exactly is the point of this thread? Analyzing all the facets of these guy's lives is a bit creepy, no? Then again, half of the stuff on these forums is creepy as hell.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By buzz_clik
@insanejedi: As in the annoying clown, or as in "If Jeff is the heart, then Ryan..."?
babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By babylonian

That sure is a lot of writing you did about some guys who talk on a video game podcast.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Geno

Mine would have to go

1. Jeff
2. Vinny
3. Ryan
4. Brad

Jeff is hilarious, and does it naturally. Vinny is an all around cool guy that seems like someone easy to be with. Ryan has his own edge on things although I wouldn't mind if he wasn't so "far out" all the time. My least favorite is Brad; contrary to what you said in your OP, he doesn't seem very educated at all, and seems often very confrontational or monopolizing on the Bombcast, especially towards Vinny.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman

I don't see how you guys can say anything bad about these guys. They are all awesome. Sure none are perfect, nobody is. So do we really need to point out flaws? I guess I'm too nice.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buzz_clik
JJWeatherman said:
I don't see how you guys can say anything bad about these guys. They are all awesome. Sure none are ... [more]
Agreed.

That they're all awesome, I mean. Although I'm sure you are too nice, too.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGremp

You have to love Vinny...  I mean...  Just...  Just look at this smile.

Aaaww!
Aaaww!

Simply Irresistible.
Simply Irresistible.

I rest my case.

EDIT:

JJWeatherman said:
I don't see how you guys can say anything bad about these guys. They are all awesome. Sure none are ... [more]

Also, this.  They're all awesome.  I really can't pick a favorite, because they all contribute in their own way.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks

Vinny may not be that funny, but at least he does not laugh at his own jokes like Brendan Sinclair does repeatedly.

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By babylonian
Milkman said:
Also, what exactly is the point of this thread? Analyzing all the facets of these guy's lives is a bit creepy, no? Then again, half of the stuff on these forums is creepy as hell.
Pretty much this exactly. I started out listening to the Bombcast and thought "Oh, maybe I should check out the forums, I'm sure such a cool, laid-back podcast has a pretty cool, laid-back fan community." How wrong I was. :[
Inertia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Inertia

LOL man ... nice breakdown, but you can't just go calling someone a racist. I mean come on, that's quite serious.

Vinny rules and you all know it!! 
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheGremp
Linkyshinks said:
Vinny may not be that funny, but at least he does not laugh at his own jokes like Brendan Sinclair ... [more]
I personally find Vinny hilarious...  His funnies don't come as rapidly as Jeff's, but when he says something funny, it's guaranteed to be funny as hell.  I was rolling on the floor when he said "You racist bastard!  It's called a turban!" And as alsnuts2 said, he's a very relatable guy.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By buzz_clik
TheGremp said:
Linkyshinks said: Vinny may not be that funny, but at least he does not laugh at his own jokes like ... [more]
The turban thing was hil-freakin-arious. Who thinks of saying that apart from Vinny?

Plus, wasn't the whole 'racist' thing at that point on the back of the RE5 debate? I mean, there's always been a in-joke about Vinny's heritage, but I'm pretty sure this one was around the time of Capcom's lil conversation starter.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By snide

If you saw the E3 skin I've got going on at the moment, I think I'd make it at least up to number 8 on the power rankings.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny? Racist? What? This topic is messed up, in multiple ways.

Anyways, that picture of Vinny with Sargent Slaughter is awesome.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By buzz_clik
TripMasterMunky said:
Vinny? Racist? What? This topic is messed up, in multiple ways.Anyways, that picture of Vinny with Sargent Slaughter is awesome. [more]
Yeah, I don't get it either. I just felt I had to leap to Vinny's defense in the face of what I think is such a flawed observation.

Y'know, because he needs me to fight his battles for him. Pffft, I sounded like such a pompous ass just then.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By turbomonkey138

Why do all the trolls have the same avatar ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGremp said:
You have to love Vinny...  I mean...  Just...  Just look at this smile.Aaaww!Simply Irresistible.I rest my case.EDIT: JJWeatherman said: I ... [more]
Those pictures are awesome lol.

Also, Vinny's guns could whoop up on the entire Giant Bomb staff all at once. Dave would just be dangling upon his arms as Vinny thrashes around, destroying anything in his path. Don't mess with Vinny. He may seem harmless on the bombcast, but he's dangerous.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Diamond

Here's my feelings (note I'm saying feelings, not rational thoughts) :

Ryan is the daddy who keeps little Jeff and Vinny in line.  Jeff and Vinny are always making Ryan pull his hair out.  Jeff's just banging pot lids in the kitchen while Vinny is licking the oven.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diamond said:
Here's my feelings (note I'm saying feelings, not rational thoughts) :Ryan is the daddy who keeps little Jeff and Vinny ... [more]
Best description lol. Jeff's always playing with his keyboards so Ryan can't talk lol.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By Red

I think it's better as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles analogy:

Jeff: Leonardo
Brad: Raphael
Vinny: Donatello
Ryan: Michaelangello.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Diamond
Red said:
I think it's better as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles analogy:Jeff: LeonardoBrad: RaphaelVinny: DonatelloRyan: Michaelangello.
I can't believe you managed to mess that up!

Jeff : Mikey
Vinny : Raph
Ryan : Leo because of being the authority figure, Don because of technical work?
Brad : April