Bombcast where Brad denies 10 games better than Brothers?

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Anybody remember which Bombcast this was? I've been itching to hear that conversation again after all the references to it on recent Bombcasts.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sabata: It's the most recent one if I'm not mistaken. Although it's more like Jeff rattling off any ol' game title just because he's Jeff.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: No, there was one (I think?) a few months back where Brad was gushing about how great it was and how he didn't think there would be 10 games better than it and that's when it all started.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Humanity

@sabata said:

@humanity: No, there was one (I think?) a few months back where Brad was gushing about how great it was and how he didn't think there would be 10 games better than it and that's when it all started.

Oh I don't know when he originally made that claim - I think your best luck would be to see when the QuickLook for Brothers came out and listen through the Bombcast during, prior and after that week.

I actually looked for the time stamp of when Jeff is trying to name 10 games better than Brothers and it was last weeks Bombcast at 3:01:45

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I can tell you it has to be before the 25th of September but other than that? No idea, sorry

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee9f17c410ec
deactivated-5ee9f17c410ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Check the week of release/quick look.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember I was on holiday at the time I was listening to that particular podcast so it's between the 1st August - 18th August.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By fattony12000

#denial

#collusion

The game was released on August 7. So look for the podcast/Quick Look that came out the week or two before and/or after that date? This podcast comes up when you look at the game wiki page.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Jeff trolling Brad this week was just fantastic.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sabata said:

Anybody remember which Bombcast this was? I've been itching to hear that conversation again after all the references to it on recent Bombcasts.

I found the Bombcast (it was 8-19 I believe) and made this minor compilation. Nothing fancy cause it was at work using windows movie maker and boy howdy that program is not as user friendly as it would appear, after using professional video editing software anyway.

It's not really "funny" but does kinda go through the whole "10 better games than Brothers" story arch.

Loading Video...

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the wording he used was that there aren't going to be 10 games this year for the new consoles that will be better than Brothers this year. So either I took it out of context, or everyone else has.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo: 10 other games before the end of the year, this year. The next four months where his exact words.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Jeff trolling Brad this week was just fantastic.

I was waiting for him to say Devil May Cry, because I actually liked that game and he was naming major releases from this year.

he didn't :(

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dystopiax: DmC was an amazing game. Definitely better than Brothers.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kedi2

@chiablo: Absolutely, I just finished it yesterday and it is my personal game of the year.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Atlas

I am so ready for this stupid meme to die off. I feel so sorry for Brad throughout this whole thing. He said one (very slightly) hyperbolic thing on a podcast, and Jeff and Vinny - before they'd even played the game - took him to task for it. And the fact that it's continued is just rubbing it in. It doesn't come across to me as good-natured ribbing and convivial trolling; it just comes across as mean. And it wasn't apparent from the beginning, but it's pretty apparent now that Jeff doesn't like the game. What I don't understand is why Vinny is continuing with the stupid schtick even after playing and enjoying it. Their whole argument was that August was too early to talk about a game being in an end of year top ten, but a) why fucking cares, b) Brad was talking about his personal top ten, not a site top ten, and c) Jeff and Vinny are just mad because Brad was taking the cynical next gen launch titles approach before it was cool. Vinny's blind optimism in the face of reality on that podcast was more egregious to me than Brad's declaration.

Honestly, I think a lot of what started this is that Brad bringing up game of the year stuff in August just set Jeff and Vinny off something rotten, like it's something that isn't allowed to be discussed until December. It comes across to me like they hate talking about this stuff. Maybe they should just stop doing end of year awards if it causes so much bile and acid among friends.

I really really like Brothers, and if someone else doesn't like Brothers then that's fine, but why has this become such a persistent ongoing thing?

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlas said:

I am so ready for this stupid meme to die off. I feel so sorry for Brad throughout this whole thing. He said one (very slightly) hyperbolic thing on a podcast, and Jeff and Vinny - before they'd even played the game - took him to task for it. And the fact that it's continued is just rubbing it in. It doesn't come across to me as good-natured ribbing and convivial trolling; it just comes across as mean. And it wasn't apparent from the beginning, but it's pretty apparent now that Jeff doesn't like the game. What I don't understand is why Vinny is continuing with the stupid schtick even after playing and enjoying it. Their whole argument was that August was too early to talk about a game being in an end of year top ten, but a) why fucking cares, b) Brad was talking about his personal top ten, not a site top ten, and c) have you seen the next gen launch games?

Honestly, I think a lot of what started this is that Brad bringing up game of the year stuff in August just set Jeff and Vinny off something rotten, like it's something that isn't allowed to be discussed until December. It comes across to me like they hate talking about this stuff. Maybe they should just stop doing end of year awards if it causes so much bile and acid among friends.

I really really like Brothers, and if someone else doesn't like Brothers then that's fine, but why has this become such a persistent ongoing thing?

Because it's a funny joke. You're crazy if you think it is causing "so much bile and acid among friends." I just think Vinny and Jeff don't really like the idea of verbalizing top 10 stuff until the end of the year because it might influence opinions about games you haven't played yet or games that friends might be playing.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Baillie

@atlas: I can't believe how badly you're picking these exchanges up.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ikilledthedj

Pick 10 Memes better than brothers

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pick 10 gamers better than Brad.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad was right about the next gen consoles not having anything better than brothers. Vinny owes him a ps4 or xbox one

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

Yeah. Maybe those games aren't just for me but I played brothers and Gone Home and...didn't really get the hype. Especially for Brothers. Like yeah it played well and yeah the ending was kinda neat but the gameplay twist seemed kinda...obvious in retrospect. Like don't get me wrong it was a good moment but one good 2 minute moment doesn't make it one of the best games of the year for me. It might make the back end of my top 10 but I'm not even sure if that. Maybe those games and other gameplay-lite indie darlings of that type just aren't for me.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they start listing off games in that video, there's absolutely no love for the last of us. Sucks that it got written off... They have no idea what theyre missing

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@humanity said:

@sabata said:

I found the Bombcast (it was 8-19 I believe) and made this minor compilation. Nothing fancy cause it was at work using windows movie maker and boy howdy that program is not as user friendly as it would appear, after using professional video editing software anyway.

It's not really "funny" but does kinda go through the whole "10 better games than Brothers" story arch.

Loading Video...

Bless you and all GB compilers on YouTube.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By Atlas

@baillie said:

It is entirely possible that I'm misreading everything. I have Asperger's Syndrome. Maybe that's the core reason why this bothers me. If I had friends that engaged in this type of humour it could very possibly drive me insane. I just had to get this off my chest.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Better than Brothers is still my favorite GB meme of this year, and I will relish the insanity sure to result when Game of the Year discussions happen, because then it will get nasty.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By golguin

@atlas said:

@baillie said:

It is entirely possible that I'm misreading everything. I have Asperger's Syndrome. Maybe that's the core reason why this bothers me. If I had friends that engaged in this type of humour it could very possibly drive me insane. I just had to get this off my chest.

Verbal abuse and ridicule is a true sign of friendship among dudes. The key is that other people outside the circle wouldn't be able to say and do the same things. There is a line of how far you can go with someone. People tolerate different things.

EDIT: A good example of crossing a line would probably be the joke Brad made about Vinny and his kid during the Volgarr the Viking Break Brad stream. It was funny for everyone else though.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@sabata said:

Loading Video...

That's it! You are the best, pal. Thanks!

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

@chiablo said:

Yeah. Maybe those games aren't just for me but I played brothers and Gone Home and...didn't really get the hype. Especially for Brothers. Like yeah it played well and yeah the ending was kinda neat but the gameplay twist seemed kinda...obvious in retrospect. Like don't get me wrong it was a good moment but one good 2 minute moment doesn't make it one of the best games of the year for me. It might make the back end of my top 10 but I'm not even sure if that. Maybe those games and other gameplay-lite indie darlings of that type just aren't for me.

Hated Gone Home and felt cheated by my purchase of it. Absolutely loved Brothers. It hit me in a really personal way that I wouldn't expect everyone else to have. I mean I freaking cried during the whole last part of it. I never cry during games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sabata: I was curious to hear it again too so it was beneficial for everyone.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DystopiaX

@dystopiax said:

@chiablo said:

Hated Gone Home and felt cheated by my purchase of it. Absolutely loved Brothers. It hit me in a really personal way that I wouldn't expect everyone else to have. I mean I freaking cried during the whole last part of it. I never cry during games.

Yeah maybe I haven't had the right experiences/wasn't in the right place for it. Like I understood what they were trying to get at there and the emotional impact they were trying to put on me, it just didn't work, and if that moment doesn't work the game kinda doesn't either. Like the dual joystick gamepad is interesting but it's not enough to push that game up to GOTY status without the emotional impact.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

@mormonwarrior said:

@dystopiax said:

@chiablo said:

Yeah maybe I haven't had the right experiences/wasn't in the right place for it. Like I understood what they were trying to get at there and the emotional impact they were trying to put on me, it just didn't work, and if that moment doesn't work the game kinda doesn't either. Like the dual joystick gamepad is interesting but it's not enough to push that game up to GOTY status without the emotional impact.

I've dealt with some death and loss in my family in the past year (actually really recently) so I haven't been in the most emotionally stable of places. I also thought the supposedly sappy stuff in Gravity was superb and it really touched me so there's that.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@golguin said:

@atlas said:

@baillie said:

Verbal abuse and ridicule is a true sign of friendship among dudes. The key is that other people outside the circle wouldn't be able to say and do the same things. There is a line of how far you can go with someone. People tolerate different things.

EDIT: A good example of crossing a line would probably be the joke Brad made about Vinny and his kid during the Volgarr the Viking Break Brad stream. It was funny for everyone else though.

Sorry for your struggles. While this article is on an entirely different topic (why black Americans call themselves "nigga" and white people of any nationality can't use the word), it does focus on how context between friends completely changes the meaning of words, how a woman's best friend will call her a bitch during a friendly night out but a complete stranger doing the same would lead to a heated argument.

In Defense of the N-Word by Ta-Nahisi Coates