#1 Edited by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

If I may address this topic to @brad regarding his allergies. I as well have struggled with seasonal/hay fever type allergies for my entire life and tried to find a medication that would work for me. Most of the over the counter medications like zyrtec and benadryl just made me drowsy. As you mentioned the side effects were almost as bad as the allergies themselves. Claritin seemed totally ineffective as well.

I went to an allergist and they prescribed me a daily nose spray called Omnaris. This shit has changed my life. I have experienced no noticeable side effects to speak of and if you use it as directed your allergies go away after a couple days and stay away for as long as you continue the medication.

So just a friendly suggestion, if you get fed up with the allergies, see if you can get a prescription for Omnaris. They also have a discount program to reduce your copay if it is expensive on your insurance. http://www.omnaris.com/getOmnaris/get-Omnaris.html

#2 Edited by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

This is on par with those "Ryan needs to lose some weight" topics.

#3 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@toowalrus: How is that even remotely close to this? The man said he had allergy problems and hates the over the counter medicine. It was a just a suggestion.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

Does this just stop nasal and respiratory allergies? Cause what really sucks is when you have allergies and your eyes itch so bad you literally want to rip them out of your head.

#5 Edited by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@demoskinos: It is directed to nasal/sinus symptoms but it also seems to help with the itchy eyes as well but its not as effective at that. If you get the itchy eyes a lot try Pataday eye drops.

#6 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

Being someone who also gets hit by seasonal allergies hard I appreciate this thread as well! I've never heard of what you posted, but I might actually consider it; my allergies have been especially bad lately with the worst congestion I've had since two or three years ago.

#7 Edited by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@equitasinvictus:Just as an FYI, like with all nose sprays there is a potential for damage over long term use if you don't spray it correctly. Meaning, don't jam the thing way up in there and spray it directly into your sinus cavities. Point the nozzle slightly outward into the outside side of your nostril when you spray it.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

Sounds gre-

like with all nose sprays

Ugh. Great. I've tried nose sprays before, several times. I can't do it. They make me sneeze, which only makes it all worse.

#9 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@believer258: They can do that to me sometimes as well. This is a maintenance type of medication though. If you only take it when you are already experiencing symptoms it won't work. After about 3 days your symptoms go away and, while you might sneeze a few times after you spray it, you won't experience the constant irritation like you normally would.

#10 Edited by BlackLagoon (1382 posts) -

A friend of mine with horrible allergies is getting immunotherapy - basically a tablet with a tiny dose of pollen each day. Initially it's pretty awful, giving him the full impact of his symptoms every day. But over time it's supposed to get the immune system used to the presence of the pollen, and make the allergy go away permanently. It's a pretty new type of treatment, but it's apparently quite effective for people who get no or limited effects from the usual allergy medication.

#11 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -

@blacklagoon: I haven't heard of the tablet version of that. It sounds similar to the allergy shots that some people opt for. Those can be potentially dangerous for some people, I've heard that you have to carry around an epipen when you are doing it, but that it can eventually "cure" you of your allergies.