#1 Edited by None_Braver (96 posts) -

Dan seems to have the life experiences of someone a 1/3 of his actual age. I propose that we get a list of foods, movies, and games for Dan to try for the first time.

Food:

-ketchup

-Mayonnaise

-Sour Cream

-Energy Drinks

Movies:

-Blade Runner

-The Godfather

-Zardoz

-Bad Boys

-Bad Boys 2

Video Games:

-Myst

#2 Posted by CornBREDX (5987 posts) -

Maybe give Blade Runner another shot? The directors cut (as opposed to the ultimate cut or the final cut which were all variably different) was pretty good.

#3 Edited by Achaemenid (92 posts) -

@cornbredx said:

Maybe give Blade Runner another shot? The directors cut (as opposed to the ultimate cut or the final cut which were all variably different) was pretty good.

I've only seen the final cut so I can't compare too much but why would you recommend the director's cut over it? My understanding is that the final cut is considered the definitive edition. At least whatever he does, he should not watch the unmodified original with the VO and stuff.

Anyways: Mayonaise

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12407 posts) -

Myst.

#5 Posted by Corevi (4821 posts) -

I've only seen the final cut so I can't compare too much but why would you recommend the director's cut over it? My understanding is that the final cut is considered the definitive edition. At least whatever he does, he should not watch the unmodified original with the VO and stuff.

The Final Cut is the best version and has everything you want from Blade Runner with none of the stuff you don't.

He should probably try playing a CRPG sometime. Him not knowing to right click to equip stuff in WoW was painful when literally every CRPG since Baldur's Gate has worked like that.

#6 Posted by Lukeweizer (2764 posts) -

As someone who has a particular diet similar to Dan's, I'm really sick of people saying Dan is a child and needs to experience more things. Why can he just enjoy the things he enjoys? I have never tried ketchup and don't plan on it. It won't change my life. If someone tried to shove it in my face, I would just tell them to go fuck themselves. It's really just irritating to hear people say that X person needs to do Y because they haven't and you have.

#7 Posted by CornBREDX (5987 posts) -

@achaemenid: I mention it because I have the directors cut (the first time he recut the movie) and not the other editions. I only know their different, and while I love the movie, and the recut for the directors cut is WAY better than the theatrical, I never felt inclined to buy another cut. That's why I mentioned it. I was trying to imply that the recuts are better to see than the theatrical =)

I have a similar problem with Nightbreed which had similar recuts for similar (maybe more legitimate- I don't know) reasons. I kind of want to buy other cuts of it, but I don't want to believe I'm that crazy.

I did buy the Ultimate cut of Watchmen, though. A lot people think that's crazy so I don't know. haha

#8 Posted by Achaemenid (92 posts) -

@cornbredx: IIRC the final cut is for all intents and purposes the real director's cut, where Ridley Scott was given complete creative control. For the so called "director's cut" he wasn't given complete control.

#9 Edited by None_Braver (96 posts) -
@lukeweizer said:

As someone who has a particular diet similar to Dan's, I'm really sick of people saying Dan is a child and needs to experience more things. Why can he just enjoy the things he enjoys? I have never tried ketchup and don't plan on it. It won't change my life. If someone tried to shove it in my face, I would just tell them to go fuck themselves. It's really just irritating to hear people say that X person needs to do Y because they haven't and you have.

Thank you for your wonderful insight and furtherance of this internet discussion board thread. This thread wasn't about getting lukeweizer to try new things. Don't take things so seriously, life will be easier.

#10 Posted by BradBrains (1171 posts) -

Ketchup is gross. Don't eat it dan.

#11 Posted by flasaltine (1703 posts) -

How do you go through life without ever having eaten ketchup? Never had it with fries or on a burger? Seems crazy. By itself it is nasty though. I wouldn't recommend someone telling him to just eat it raw.

#12 Posted by GaspoweR (3489 posts) -

What I want him to try which I know he'll ABSOLUTELY HATE is bitter melon.

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Honestly, if i was Dan i'd be pretty insulted a bunch of jerks on the internet was calling me a "child" and telling me to do stuff.

#14 Edited by liquidsnakegfer9 (164 posts) -

Dan has way better things he could be trying before he wastes his time with the bore of a game that is myst lol

EDIT: Also I can kind of level with Dan, for years I never tried ketchup and mayonaise and all that stuff and people gave me shit for it saying that I was just too stubborn and would have to like it, but even after I tried it all I still ended up not liking most of it, and its not like my life was somehow changed dramatically just because I had ketchup for the first time.

#15 Edited by Kingpk (211 posts) -

It's funny that people were crying for "different perspectives" and are now making fun of a guy that hasn't done the same stuff that they have. I haven't seen Blade Runner or played Myst and I don't feel much different.

#16 Posted by None_Braver (96 posts) -
@kingpk said:

It's funny that people were crying for "different perspectives" and are now making fun of a guy that hasn't done the same stuff that they have. I haven't seen Blade Runner or played Myst and I don't feel much different.

Where do you stand on the Ketchup/Mayonnaise issue?

#17 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3808 posts) -

The just need to cut a new short series called, "Dan tries new things." Super interested in Dan's wonders of discovery in the world.

#18 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -

The just need to cut a new short series called, "Dan tries new things." Super interested in Dan's wonders of discovery in the world.

15 Seconds of him eating X food with a facial reaction. Video ends. I think that would be so hilarious.

#19 Edited by None_Braver (96 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

15 Seconds of him eating X food with a facial reaction. Video ends. I think that would be so hilarious.

Kind of like the Giant Bomb gaming minute. Could be the "Daily Dan".

#20 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (680 posts) -
#21 Edited by CitizenCoffeeCake (649 posts) -

Sour cream

It makes many things way better. Baked potatoes, chili, tacos, burritos, nachos, mexican food in general… It's not for everyone but damn sour cream is good (despite the name which is pretty off putting).

In light of Studio Ghibli's recent announcement, he should probably also watch any Miyazaki/Ghibli movie he can get his hands on, particularly Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, and Howl's Moving Castle but the others are great too.

#22 Posted by Bocam (3822 posts) -

@clonedzero: @lukeweizer: Except for the fact that deciding you're going to hate something before even trying it, is a very childish thing to do.

#23 Edited by mikey87144 (1806 posts) -

The games thing doesn't bother me. He knows what he likes and likes what he likes. As for food his taste is beyond disgraceful.

#24 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

Dan needs to eat all of the Star Trek.

#25 Edited by CornBREDX (5987 posts) -

@kingpk: I never made fun of Dan for not liking Blade Runnner. For the sake of this thread, which is more for fun than anything, we are coming up with the mountain of things Dan has never done to recommend things he should try doing.

I am completely open to the fact that not everybody knows everything, and Dan has no requirement to ever experience or even enjoy the glory that is Blade Runner (in any of it's various cuts).

There's a lot of very angry people responding to such a silly thread. People need to relax a little and not assume everything is facetious.

@achaemenid: So are you saying I should get another version of Blade Runner?

Dammit. Stop enabling my bad habits =P

I wish he released a version that had all these cuts before I got this one. Like when they released Legend- which, btw, the directors cut of that is also amazing.

#26 Posted by cky4890 (115 posts) -
#27 Posted by ripelivejam (4842 posts) -

- telling people what to do/like

#28 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

I vote for apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese. Someone on staff needs to have tried this tasty combination.

#29 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

How about a list of GB content Dan should be made aware of. Like the shock game, but not where it's been.

#30 Posted by John1912 (1966 posts) -

Hes never had ketchup? How in god fucking name do you make it that far in life without having ketchup? That is BEYOND weird!

#31 Posted by None_Braver (96 posts) -

I vote for apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese. Someone on staff needs to have tried this tasty combination.

Has he verified that?

#32 Posted by Corevi (4821 posts) -

Brad has done it.

#33 Edited by megalowho (978 posts) -

I find the incredulousness towards Mr. Ryckert's life experiences crosses the line towards inappropriate or even mean spirited at times, even if it comes from a place of good fun we don't really know the guy. The staff can figure out how best to make entertaining content out of his blind spots without the community piling on.

I will say fuck mayonnaise and sour cream, though. The grossest of the condiments.

#34 Edited by Shindig (669 posts) -

Anybody who suggest cheese and desert mix are dead wrong.

Dead. WRONG!

Try pease pudding, Dan. Its not a pudding. We also have Stottie cakes which aren't cakes.

#35 Posted by Witzig (336 posts) -

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who drinks malt liquor.

#36 Edited by GValo (290 posts) -

@cornbredx: When did you get your director's cut of BR? There have been 2 blu-ray releases with all 5 versions bundled together. This is the more recently one: Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Edition (It's $13. Can't go wrong there)

It also has Dangerous Days included which is 211 minute making of documentary which is FANTASTIC.

I have both this version and the original 5 disc set. (Ended up shadow boxing the original set after getting Edward James Olmos to sign it)

#37 Posted by Splodge (1945 posts) -

I find the incredulousness towards Mr. Ryckert's life experiences crosses the line towards inappropriate or even mean spirited at times, even if it comes from a place of good fun we don't really know the guy. The staff can figure out how best to make entertaining content out of his blind spots without the community piling on.

I will say fuck mayonnaise and sour cream, though. The grossest of the condiments.

This is all very harmless fun. And he faced WAY greater scrutiny at IGN.

#38 Posted by MannyMAR (520 posts) -

After the glasses story on the latest Bombcast, I am definitively convinced that Dan is not human. I can deal with one or two of those stories coming from one person, but all those stories lumped together from a singular individual has me questioning our reality. By no means is this an attack on Dan, I like the guy. Yet there is a force of nature that compels me to refuse the idea that all these sordid tales are true.

I am afraid that there will come a day where the story is so mind boggling, that the universe will rend itself apart from the seems.

#39 Edited by CornBREDX (5987 posts) -

@gvalo: I got my copy in early 2000s. I don't remember the exact date, but it was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure it was the first time they called it a directors cut- seems most likely. I know it was when getting Blade Runner on DVD at all was a relatively new prospect.

Edit: Just looking at this collection it is most likely the '92 directors cut. I'm pretty sure it was on Laser Disc first and then reprinted on DVD (I have several DVDs from the late 90s, early 2000s where they did this including The Thing- it was common back then).

#40 Posted by GValo (290 posts) -

@cornbredx: Ahh yeah. The final cut came out in 07-ish I believe. I would recommend getting that set even just for Dangerous Days.

#41 Posted by Oliver_Twitt (4 posts) -

I'm not going to make fun of Dan for his tastes but man, he's missing out. But I also fear for people's health who have such a restricted diet. Food is the best way to strengthen and nourish your body. A lot of medical problems can be linked back to missing something important from your diet like fiber or calcium.

#42 Edited by Akyho (1698 posts) -

Dan has way better things he could be trying before he wastes his time with the bore of a game that is myst lol

EDIT: Also I can kind of level with Dan, for years I never tried ketchup and mayonaise and all that stuff and people gave me shit for it saying that I was just too stubborn and would have to like it, but even after I tried it all I still ended up not liking most of it, and its not like my life was somehow changed dramatically just because I had ketchup for the first time.

I sort of agree on the myst suggestion cos he can sort of look at a video and go "Oh right." thats myst. I have played them but its not thaaaaaat important. Now playing an MMO AT ALL thats kind of important why not WoW.

Also Liquid snake its not about making you like Ketchup or Mayonnaise, its more getting you to form an opinion. You now have tried them and can say honestly "I do not like it." people's reactions should be more "oh...ok..." and the any fights about it should be lesser Imagine.

It is the same for Dan and others of the same, their adamant "Never tried it...NOPE!" it is the flat out "no" and "never" combination that gets people to want you to form an opinion. Many enjoy or love such items and thus its hard to understand the flat out never and no. If you try it maybe you like maybe you do not, however they are such common place you just HAVE to try it to form an opinion. Realy it is slanted to a 90% of "Do not like it." however Do not like it is "I tried it and do not like it." which is a far harder thing to argue against.

The other thing is it is such an easy and risk free task, it is simply "Here try it on this french fry!" one french fry it lost for a two second attempt. It is the simplicity that adds to people being annoyed when the brick wall of "NO" and "NEVER" is put up around such a simple task.

It is different story for someone to argue the same over say something like Lamb. It is expensive you have to prepare it and prepare well and the risk to reward ratio is more on utter risk so the fight is less.

Just two seconds....one bite....just cmon..... is the feelings behind it all.

#43 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -

New thread: things Dan has done, you numb nuts haven't.

Write an insulting book about Jose Canseco for which Jose Canseco himself wrote the forward. Boom!

Kinda puts the whole food thing into perspective.

Stay weird and interesting Dan. Don't follow the Lemmings...(Speaking of good games. I love me some Lemmings!)

#44 Posted by Oliver_Twitt (4 posts) -

Seriously, when Dan said he enjoyed his mom's mac and cheese and then threw it away when she revealed a week later that it had sour cream in it I yelled in exasperation. That was really frustrating to hear.

#45 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -

Don't play Myst, Dan. It sucks.

#46 Posted by Cirdain (3147 posts) -
#47 Posted by Zeeco (102 posts) -

More random facts should be added to Dan's wiki page. What's on there right now is already pretty great.

#48 Edited by Dalai (7069 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing said:

@i_stay_puft said:

Kind of like the Giant Bomb gaming minute. Could be the "Daily Dan".

I would watch that, but let's call it "Dan v. Food."

#49 Posted by UitDeToekomst (743 posts) -

Dan, if you read this (and you probably won't) please stand firm on your anti-mayonnaise stance. Try all the other food, movies and games that are suggested, but please for the love of god you must avoid mayonnaise at all costs!