#1 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

If he can play SCII like we all know he can, he should be able to get on board for League of Legends still.  Don't give up, Brad!

#2 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

I guess there isn't a whole lot of League of Legends love to help me call Brad out!

#3 Posted by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

It's certainly not as scary as I thought it would be. I played for the first time last night. I did have a friend who knows the game pretty well playing with me and giving me tips, but I'm sure Brad could find someone on the site that could help him out. It seems to do pretty solid player matching too.

#4 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Scrawnto: The one thing that I would say is that the early levels are full of trolls and people trying to cheat their way to the "player recruitment" bonuses. That messes up player matching when you first start out. After level 5, it gets a lot better.

Anyway, The skills required for SC and LoL overlap a bit, but overall they are pretty different games. What you need is some kind of Jeff/Brad hybrid that combines strategy and fighting game skills.

#5 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

Well, I'd say if you can micro in SCII, you'll do well in LoL.  Honestly I just want the chance to unleash the Twitch ult on Brad.

#6 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I started playing it completely blind after hardly playing any DotA at all before and I was still owning pretty hard. Granted, there are probably a lot more smurfs around today, but I still believe anyone who can play SC2 ladder at all should be able to play LoL quite easily.

#7 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Irishdoom: Bah I'll just Blitz grab you away and insta-gib. No rat touches my Brad!

#8 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

They play completely differently.

#9 Posted by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

They're not really that similar, aside from micro. But SC II is a helluva lot more about good macro than micro.

#10 Posted by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

@nintendoeats: I definitely saw hints of fighting game style play there. People sort of poke back and forth for range, testing each other.

#11 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

There is no point in learning all the items, skills and heroes in LoL when he just wants to play DOTA 2. I wouldn't even recommend him to play HoN because even though the game is basically DotA, all the names of the heroes, skills and items are changed. Waste of time learning them all... 
 
Even though I've played both DotA( 5 years ago) and HoN( a year go) for over 400h each I'm just waiting for DOTA 2 now.

#12 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Don't understand why people think it's so hard to get into. Just do the tutorials, pick a champ and stick to it, play with bots until you feel comfortable and then throw yourself in. It is very important to learn what the other champions can do however, and that can take a while.

#13 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

He's very excited for Dota 2, but not LoL because he's afraid of it?

Does he not realise Dota 2 will have mostly HoN and Dota 1 players? They will be much less forgiving than the LoL community is.

#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@ChickenPants: Because it's crazy fucking dense, the beginning levels are full of smurf accounts, and the community consists of 75% really un-empathetic people who think that they are the best thing since Fatal1ty.

#15 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Hes a pussy.

#16 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2491 posts) -

He's scared of Lol?
 
Lolololololololololololololololololololololol.
 
That will give him a heart attack.

#17 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I am terrified of all Dota style games, always have been always will be. Mostly because I suck at them so hard and people start yelling at me for sucking :(

#18 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@Prodstep said:

I am terrified of all Dota style games, always have been always will be. Mostly because I suck at them so hard and people start yelling at me for sucking :(

Yell back at them. Trust me on this one, people in these types of games will yell it you even when you're going 20/0/20 and they're 0/10/0 (Kill/Death/Assists) and they'll still call you a noob and blame you for everything that they do wrong. The communities are made up of trolls and idiots, and honestly, what's better than trolling the trolls?!
 
Just play the game and enjoy it. Even if you're not great, you'll learn and become better. Don't let the douchebags stop you from enjoying the game.
#19 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

@Prodstep said:

I am terrified of all Dota style games, always have been always will be. Mostly because I suck at them so hard and people start yelling at me for sucking :(

Yell back at them.

My advice would be ignore them, but I guess works too.

#20 Posted by Maluvin (267 posts) -

Well if DOTA2 is still a ways off there's no reason not to give LoL a shot in the meantime.  It genuinely isn't a hard game to get start into if you do the tutorials and realize you can't just plow forward. 
 
Key things I've learned are to not overextend and to keep an eye on the minimap.  Moving forward on a lane past the point of safety is a huge mistake because you're highly likely to end up being fodder for a more experienced player.  Watch the side paths off of each lane.  If you have no idea where the enemy champions are there's a good chance you could get sandwiched near one of the side paths.  Also watch out for when your teammates are dead and waiting to respawn.  Trying to push when you're down a few players is risky and it might be better to play conservatively until people have respawned.

#21 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Their talk about it on the Bombcast made me try it out, so I just started playing it. While I'm afraid of going into full PvP, I've been doing completely fine with a human team against AI. You can also play against bots to get the basic stuff down, so I found the game really approachable.

#22 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Gold level SCII player here. I was terrified of LoL too. I had never played any Dota style games before it, but I have played my fair share of RTS's. Though I'm not that great (as I said, I'm a Gold level SCII player. Low Plat at best.), it is a blast to play and tinker around with different characters. I've only been playing for a couple of days now, but hopefully I'll find my groove as to what type of characters best fit my play style. Haven't touched PvP though. I'm guessing the leap between CompStomps and PVP is similar to the practice league and actual leagues in starcraft.

#23 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -

The only real scary part is learning all the characters strengths and weaknesses. Besides that, it should be relatively easy to pick up.

#24 Posted by Aronman789 (2682 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

 Blitz grab you away and insta-gib

It has been decided, I will never play one of these games.
#25 Posted by CheapPoison (738 posts) -

Well I think he should. 
 
I think at the core the game has less stuff going on than dota.. 
So to ease into the genre it might be good to dip your toes into it now and get a grasp what is happening before jumping into dota. 
Lots of people will og into dota kinda 'fresh'.. but lots will have a league of legend experience that helps em get around i bet. 
 
It is different but it still can eb a good master for some basic skills ideas in the moba genre. 
And it is a fun game still so.

#26 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

@nintendoeats said:

Blitz grab you away and insta-gib

It has been decided, I will never play one of these games.

Blitz: Blitzcrank, a champion in League of Legends.

Blitz Grab: Rocket Punch, Blitzcrank's main ability. Fires a fist that grabs the first enemy unit it encounters and brings it back to Blitzcrank. The typical usage of this is to isolate members of the opposing team so that your team can focus damage on them without reprecutions.

Twitch: A rat champion that turns invisible and deals a lot of damage, but can take very little damage before dying.

Insta-gib: Insta-gib.

#27 Posted by Aronman789 (2682 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

@Aronman789 said:

@nintendoeats said:

Blitz grab you away and insta-gib

It has been decided, I will never play one of these games.

Blitz: Blitzcrank, a champion in League of Legends.

Blitz Grab: Rocket Punch, Blitzcrank's main ability. Fires a fist that grabs the first enemy unit it encounters and brings it back to Blitzcrank. The typical usage of this is to isolate members of the opposing team so that your team can focus damage them without reprecutions.

Twitch: A rat champion that turns invisible and deals a lot of damage, but can take very little damage before dying.

Insta-gib: Insta-gib.

I can't even read this. I'm not sure these are letters.
#28 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Yes have you met the Dota community, they will eat gentle Bradley alive.

#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Aronman789: Ok ok ok, let me put this in terms that both of us can understand: Grab n' Stab!

That's really all you need to know about Blitzcrank.

#30 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I've been playing LoL pretty much since Beta and decided to give HoN a go as DOTA 2 is coming soon and I felt playing HoN would prepare me better for it. I can see why people fear going into DOTA style games, the communities are rather elitist and in 7 games I was called a retard twice and last game someone asked me if I had down syndrome because that would explain why I'm playing so bad.

Communities aside, once you get over that learning curve there's a lot of enjoyment to be found in these style of games.

#31 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Cwaff: Yeah, you REALLY need a group to play with. Randoms can be really horrible, especially if you main support champs like I do.

#32 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

Come on, Brad!  COME ON, BRAD!!

#33 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I just want a mode where everyone is bots cus fuck other people. I don't know anyone who'd play this and strangers are angry and weird.

#34 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
I just want a mode where everyone is bots cus fuck other people. I don't know anyone who'd play this and strangers are angry and weird.
There is one. You just make a custom game and pick the rest as bots, but you're going to have a really boring time because they don't put up ANY challenge at all.
#35 Posted by BaconGames (3487 posts) -

I would say less scared and more weary of jumping into that game when SCII already takes up so much of his time.

#36 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Azteck said:

@ryanwho said:
I just want a mode where everyone is bots cus fuck other people. I don't know anyone who'd play this and strangers are angry and weird.
There is one. You just make a custom game and pick the rest as bots, but you're going to have a really boring time because they don't put up ANY challenge at all.

They also can't coordinate with you, which is kind of shit in a team game.

#37 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2131 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

@Azteck said:

@ryanwho said:
I just want a mode where everyone is bots cus fuck other people. I don't know anyone who'd play this and strangers are angry and weird.
There is one. You just make a custom game and pick the rest as bots, but you're going to have a really boring time because they don't put up ANY challenge at all.

They also can't coordinate with you, which is kind of shit in a team game.

At the very least it's a good mode to use to mess around with new heroes and look into item combinations without worries.  I tend to do that if I just want to play around with a hero.
#38 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
@nintendoeats said:

@Azteck said:

@ryanwho said:
I just want a mode where everyone is bots cus fuck other people. I don't know anyone who'd play this and strangers are angry and weird.
There is one. You just make a custom game and pick the rest as bots, but you're going to have a really boring time because they don't put up ANY challenge at all.

They also can't coordinate with you, which is kind of shit in a team game.

At the very least it's a good mode to use to mess around with new heroes and look into item combinations without worries.  I tend to do that if I just want to play around with a hero.
Yup, it's pretty much all it's good for.