Childish of the staff to not use Wii U sensor bar?

• 54 results
Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By Daneian

@hailinel said:

@daneian said:
@hailinel said:

@daneian said:

No, I think Nintendo should optimize games for the hardware that's in the box for their system, not expect you to either already own a Wii remote or that you'll go out and buy one.

The console contains a full emulated Wii mode. It's impossible to play any Wii game on the system without the Wii Remote, and many Wii games requires a sensor bar. If owned a Wii before a Wii U, you probably have at least one Wii Remote sitting around your house.

Absolutely and the wii did the same thing with its gamecube emulation requiring either a gc or classic controller. But when we talk about the emulation, we're already talking about someone who is actively making the choice to keep their wii around.

In cases like Pikmin 3, its a WiiU game so I don't necessarily think it should come with the same expectations. I can't think of a single wii game that took advantage of- and certainly none that were better with- the gamecube's controller. Would you have felt this way if they had?

I tend to lean to this side of the argument about any game that uses the functionality of a separate piece of hardware be it a racing wheel, fight stick or kinekt. Its nice the option is there but you need to account for the play experience of those who only have the systems base components.

Actually, a lot of games like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn did offer GameCube controller support as an option. Not the primary option or necessarily the best option, but it was an option. Some games with GC controller support also had a separate option for turning on or off the controller rumble, which the Wii Classic Controller didn't support.

That's interesting, I thought I was more up on my wii knowledge. Thanks for that.

Even though i disagree about the controller stance, this is an interesting conversation about the nature of backwards compatibility, the idea of contextualizing a games experience in its time and the obvious struggles with archiving videogames history.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By mikemcn

The wii remote was an interesting novelty, it was not superior to a controller in any way.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Call me childish but I left that sensor bar in the box and I don't intend to take it out until I finally feel like playing mario galaxy (which may never happen because Mario 3D world is coming out in like a month).

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Call me childish but I left that sensor bar in the box and I don't intend to take it out until I finally feel like playing mario galaxy (which may never happen because Mario 3D world is coming out in like a month).

Also I think you can use the gamepad as an impromptu sensor bar? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own a Wii U.