Collected tales of disappointment in the Day1, e3 liveshow

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HotSando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HotSando

Right now the chat is erupting over the failure to deliver on the small, reasonable hope of hearing from the people who we had been waiting together for e3 news with, for months, to simply talk about the news. We got something much different. Two Microsoft company men and Jonathan Blow talked at length about irrelevant nonsense and old news for the first 20 minutes. Worse yet, the next 20 turned into a vigorous and unashamed shill defense of the force feeding of Kinect into software. Still no E3 discussion, but LOTS of time to get together and pretend "I heard menus these days are HARD TO USE in games unless you have voice commands guys, seriously, that’s what my boss said.”

If you feel the same way, please post your own insight and complaints. I feel like I’ve waited so long for a series premier and instead got an infomercial. I realize that Jeff was on assignment covering actual games, but there is a ready cast of familiar faces that ARE NOT FOLLOWING A COMPANY LINE, that could have stepped in. Tonight was NOT the night for these weak guests. If they are such industry players and like the bombcast show so much, they'd show up at the Whiskey office on any average Monday to talk about their 2 year old projects.

Day 1 was a failure. Let’s acknowledge it as such.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Gav47

Jeff and Brad can still save it! Believe.

caryrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By caryrabbit

100% agree, this sucks.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By bhhawks78

Jonathan blow would be the last dev I'd ever want to hear on a podcast.

If I wanted to hear two PR shills I'd listed to their crappy podcast with major nelson or rewatch the press conference.

Never been so disappointed with giantbomb. There's a reason they lost almost two thousand viewers so far.

This livestream is like watching your girlfriend mutilate her breasts and then cheat on you.

If I wanted to hear an hour of bullshit braid asskissing and black and white talk I'd find a half rate podcasts from 2009.

atomant12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By atomant12

"Fair enough"

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By jorbear

I am enjoying this Bombcast quite a bit.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlightConfuse

@jorbear said:

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Pinworm45
@jorbear said:

What aspect of it are you enjoying?
ramboknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By ramboknife

While I agree, I wouldn't be that harsh. It's been VERY dry thus far, almost falling asleep watching it. 

Allison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Allison

@jorbear said:

HOW?

@slightconfuse said:

@jorbear said:

WHY?

I admit Blow redeemed himself trashing the Microsoft Indie Game process but that has been it. We have been on Kinect's dick for an hour. How is this entertaining?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiniPato

Yeah it's disappointing, but I have a feeling they are just temp guests for some pre-show bombcast.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai

So is this the official bombcast or the guys are doing their regular podcast while this infomercial is going on. AT least if they are doing the bombcast as the live stream is then it would save me from listening to Ryan. 

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MisterMouse

I really like some of the things Blow has to say but I feel like a bombcast like this where they look at all products with a critical eye, bringing on two microsoft guys seems like a major misstep. If you are bringing a guest who is more or less representing a major company that has a presence at E3 you need to bring in other guests to balance that presence. It isn't a bad idea to bring in these kind of guests but you can't heavy load in a single area.

EvilEmpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilEmpire

There was 4 press conferences today and only one of them is getting talked about at all. The two bald guys (didnt catch their names) are MS homers and are attempting to spin everything that Jonathon/Gary/Alex says that is even the slightest bit negative towards MS. Granted they are doing their jobs and of course they are going to defend the company that they work for, but this is not making for interesting discussion.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By canucks23

These MS guys are so defensive... They shouldn't even be there, nobody's gonna feel comfortable saying anything negative about, and Ryan is doing nothing but kissing MS asses.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By strainedeyes

They should just move on to EA, Ubisoft and Sony.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fjordson

The two Microsoft dudes are fucking terrible. Jonathan Blow and Whitta are keeping things somewhat logical at least, but this is pretty bad otherwise.

thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thecablekid

@HotSando: Dude your such a fucking whiner, this a free stream and they can have whatever conversation they want. Just because they don't talk about all the new things you saw at press events today does not make it a failure. If you don't like it don't watch it loser, as for myself I am gonna listen to an interesting, deep, and really informative conversation about the production process of gaming.

Your just a self entitled brat who thinks you should be allowed to dictate the content you want, which is false. Go Fuck Yourself Whiner, maybe mom and dad can help pay for your subscription.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I remember you. You gave me shit for saying the chat was overreacting. I hid the chat after that. I'm enjoying the stream more for it. They will have a Bombcast talking about everything from E3 with the full crew. They aren't always so close to industry folk though, so they're using the opportunity to have guests on the show. You may not get what you want until after they all get back to the office.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pinworm45
@TheCableKid said:

@HotSando: Dude your such a fucking whiner, this a free stream and they can have whatever conversation they want. Just because they don't talk about all the new things you saw at press events today does not make it a failure. If you don't like it don't watch it loser, as for myself I am gonna listen to an interesting, deep, and really informative conversation about the production process of gaming.

Your just a self entitled brat who thinks you should be allowed to dictate the content you want, which is false. Go Fuck Yourself Whiner, maybe mom and dad can help pay for your subscription.

lol, what is this, 2005?
jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jorbear

@Pinworm45 said:

@jorbear said:

I'm just enjoying the deep conversation about gaming right now. It is also interesting to hear people inside Microsoft talk about the Press Conference and to get all of their opinions on it.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Red

I'm fine with them going off topic, but I'm sick of all the buzz words and talk of how great Kinect is. I want a serious, critical discussion, and they can't do that with two PR people there.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Brendan

It's actually interesting putting two company guys in a neutral podcast, there is some interesting discussion going on.

Is it a good E3 stream? Not really. Am I enjoying it anyway? Yes!

Allison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Allison

@TheCableKid said:

ahahahaha what. WHAT. the hell is WRONG with you

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pinworm45
@jorbear said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@jorbear said:

I'm just enjoying the deep conversation about gaming right now. It is also interesting to hear people inside Microsoft talk about the Press Conference and to get all of their opinions on it.

Microsoft reps turning every discussion that goes offtopic from their platform back into their platform, while using constant buzzwords to describe how good their product is and preventing critique of it due to awkwardness would be something I consider the complete opposite of deep. I would in fact consider it shallow and flat. I already watched the MS conference for the buzz words and kinect apologetics. I guess we disagree.
XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By XTraFries

it's not over yet....Jeff and Brad can still come....it'll just be a really really long show.....right?

Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Agent_Eli

The live stream is SUPER interesting industry talk. But it's dry as hell.

HotSando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HotSando

@TheCableKid said:

My mom and dad agree that this discussion is FINE on any other night than the FIRST NIGHT OF E3 after FOUR company press conferences. My Grandmother says that there is a concept call relevance, also known as the concept of keeping germane (which is a word my uncle refuses to explain to me) that in princeiple, states there is a time and place for everything.

My dog, who is the one that paid for my account, only talks about Kinect, but he works for microsoft so its ok, and shallow sensitive types will defend my dog (my dog is also bald)

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By samfo

Does Jon Blow hate xbox?

thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thecablekid

@Allison: What the hell is wrong with me is that a bunch of fucking kids feel entitled to have content tailored to them and only them. All of you who are complaining about this stream are whiners, this stream is free, what other website does this? All of you just need to shut up and stop complaining, they are doing whatever they want to do, just cause it is not on topic doesn't invalidate it.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jorbear

@Pinworm45 said:

@jorbear said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@jorbear said:

Microsoft reps turning every discussion that goes offtopic from their platform back into their platform, while using constant buzzwords to describe how good their product is and preventing critique of it due to awkwardness would be something I consider the complete opposite of deep. I would in fact consider it shallow and flat. I already watched the MS conference for the buzz words and kinect apologetics. I guess we disagree.

That is part of the appeal. I found the MS Conference to be one of the worst today, but hearing people within MS talk about how it was good is a great contrast to my own opinions. Of course they are SUPER biased, but it is nonetheless food for thought.

Just my opinion.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Allison: i like this inside baseball stuff, also these guys have stores to tell from be to a lot of E3's and that stuff is intresting. just going through the games would be boring, i like it to flow natually.

t

thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thecablekid

@HotSando: I love that your only posts are to complain further implying that your not worthy for there time anyway, you don't get to demand content, they create it, like it or leave it.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would be great as a Bombcast, but as an E3 Wrap up show its horrible.

HotSando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HotSando

@TheCableKid said:

@Allison: What the hell is wrong with me is that a bunch of fucking kids feel entitled to have content tailored to them and only them. All of you who are complaining about this stream are whiners, this stream is free, what other website does this? All of you just need to shut up and stop complaining, they are doing whatever they want to do, just cause it is not on topic doesn't invalidate it.

There is no great cost in setting up a justin.tv livestream of 6 dudes on a couch. I understand that criticsm makes you sore. Maybe you've been bullied and for that, i dont want you to be hurt or upset. But you have to understand that voicing a grievance is OK. Nobody is getting deeply hurt so you dont have to be so defensive of the Giant Bomb Boys. They can take some constructive criticism, even if it hurts you to hear it.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By warxsnake

Giantbomb Livestream Day 00: Inner workings of Kinect and Xbox: LIVE

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By strainedeyes

You tell 'em, Blow!

Allison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Allison

@TheCableKid said:

Nonono, don't try to run away and strawman this. What happened in your life that you decided calling people "self entitled brats" that need to "fuck [themselves]" is an okay thing because someone has criticism about a production? I don't care what other people are doing that makes you upset about them.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By warxsnake

Gary Whitta is the fucking best though. 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jorbear

Good to see them moving from Microsoft, however. I want to hear the MS guys talk about the rest of the conferences.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fjordson

Only redeemable thing at this point is Mr. Blow taking it to the MS shills.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By CrimsonNoir

what did Gary say that got everyone all excited? did he just tell them to move it along from the MS stuff?

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Let's be fair, they did take some good digs at Microsoft. It took them half of the first segment, but Jonathan Blow had some very interesting and valid things to say, which is weird considering I expect him to be one of the worst parts. Finally, Gary took control of the conversation and voiced the chat's concerns. Let's not get too hostile about something that was eventually handled. It was a bit boring, but a few good things occurred, and now we can enjoy the rest of the 'cast.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MiniPato

@CrimsonNoir said:

what did Gary say that got everyone all excited? did he just tell them to move it along from the MS stuff?

Pretty much.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...i just wanted them to talk about e3 rather than kinect.  the press conference didnt convince me i should get a kinect if i ever get a 360

Mattf2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mattf2312
@TheCableKid: Easy there duder
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Valid criticisms (even if I am finding it interesting overall), but a little rebellious voice in my head is saying "would all these people be bitching if the reps were from Sony?"

Maybe it's just be a different cross-section?

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Themanohall

I don't know, it wasn't TOO bad. It did get a bit grating having pretty much everybody in the room praising Microsoft, but at least Jonathan Blow and Gary Whitta spoke their minds. Plus, it was no where near Leigh Alexander levels of bad *shivers.*

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Marz

I think you all need to "Sack Up"

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers