Damnation, did anyone else have fun playing it?

hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By hpv

I played through that crap game with my brother and somewhere between misunderstanding the insane and terribly told story (it's about Wilson's kidnapped daughter who was raised up as the lesbian lover of that weirdo chick in green coming back to the homeboy team to save the world with that voodoo priest guy, voodoo priest guy's sister, Rodriquez [who has a garage full of bikes made to his exact specifications], and some tool in a cowboy hat, right?), the pile of absurd and hilarious bugs, and the almost outright fun platforming mechanics I managed to have a great time with it.  Surely we aren't the only two people in the world who never grew tired of restarting a checkpoint because we simultaneously saw a sweet window to jump out of with nothing but a buttomless pit on the other side.

So anyone else out there in the Land of the Rising Bomb find it hilariously terrible in a good way (except the last chapter that had hardly any sweet windows and dragged on forever) or am I the one who's been playing it wrong?

vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vinny

haha, you know...I too was looking for a bit more perspective on Damnation. Just constantly thinking, am I crazy? Is it just me? Can this game really be like this?  I guess there is some amount of pride to be had in being part of a seemingly small group of people who have actually played the game... But man...that game.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JokerSmilez

I think we've found our next Endurance Run candidate! :P

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TotalEklypse
@JokerSmilez said:
" I think we've found our next Endurance Run candidate! :P "

good call.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

Well I wish I could say I played it more, because it sounds like it gets pretty ridiculous, but I couldn'T force myself to get past that first section, just did not like how the game feels. I spent a while convincing the rental store guy to take it back for something else, when I ran back from the store not 10 minutes after leaving it. 

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PerryVandell

Interestingly enough, I went to a panel at GDC whose speaker was Jacob Minkoff who was one of the game designers for Uncharted 2. His previous job, was the lead game designer of Damnation. That panel taught me that even if you made a bad game, when you work hard and pour your heart and soul into something, people take notice. That's how he got the job at naughty dog. It was a great presentation and recommend visiting his site.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By VoshiNova

Only played about 10 minutes of it at my buddy's house, but didn't feel the need to play more.

Shit, I may give it another shot some day.....

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

I played this game... 

...for about 4 hours... 

...and then took it back to the rental store and said it didn't work. 

The game was terrible.  The platforming elements were bad, the shooting was bad, and to be honest, I really liked the idea of this Civil War-steampunk style of game.  In all actuality, the fact that it said "Codemasters" on the front is what made me interested, as Grid and Dirt didn't suck. 

Too bad.  Had the game been given more budget and an honest chance, it could've more than likely been fucking awesome.  They had some good ideas, but poor design choices.

MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MacEG

Codemasters was the publisher. Blue Omega was the developer. Did some overflow work on the audio of the game. Most of the stuff we did had to be in mono (cinematics mind you) because they didn't have the resources or memory or something for stereo files. :/ Bad first game to work on.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

I played through and beat the game and it was terrible. One of the worst games I've ever played. I had fleeting moments where I thought, "Y'know, this could be o...k..." and then something totally frustrating would happen and I'd get totally pissed off with it. The last boss battle took an INSANE level of patience.

Bad, bad game.

The motorcycle sections were probably the game's strongest part. But that's not saying much, as they too were terrible.